Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Livernois & Fenkell « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bdglsmn
Username: Bdglsmn

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey people. I've been enjoying the site from the shadows for quite a while and I finally made up my mind to join. I am looking for any photos of businesses in the Fenkell/Livernois area. I grew up around there, in the 60's and 70's and I've got some fond memories of that area particularly Fenkell between Livernois and Dexter. Any one here from that part of town?

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 704
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

welcome to the forum Bdglsmn. I am from the University district not far from there but I must say don't have photos from there, sorry.

Bdglsmn

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Urbanoutdoors. Im glad to be here.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 631
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi BD - Fot Hudge Detroit has a thread featuring photos of Fenkell. You probably won't see much that reminds of the glory days in the 60s/70s.

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Original home of Honey Baked Ham, on Fenkell one block west of Dexter.

Ptero, standing in line for a ham...

Bdglsmn

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Craig and Ptero. You are correct that is the original Honey Baked Ham building. They are nationwide now and it started right there at that location. Nice shot of it on Hot Fudge although its not what it used to be. Right up until 3 years ago, when it closed, there would be a line around the corner with people waiting to buy a ham for the holidays!

Trstar
Username: Trstar

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Memories.

Standing in the COLD for a Thanksgiving ham.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5967
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba grew and lived in a two-flat on Northlawn, between Intervale and Schoolcraft. The block is still beautiful today. He attended Noble, Tappan and Cass Tech., class of 1959.

To this day, he remembers in the 1950s when they took out a block of houses behind the stores on the Eastside of Livernois and North of Fenkell, for parking.

It was eminent domain at its ugliest, to find parking for this thriving strip of stores, enabling them to compete with Northland Center.
As jjaba recalls, they were metered stalls, and one of many blocks destroyed around Detroit for cars. A living example today is some of the blocks behind Joseph Campau in Hamtramck, where there is thriving retail.

Bdglsmn, welcome to the Forum. What's the status of retail along there today? Did they ever re-build behind there on Petoskey?

jjaba, Westsider.

Bdglsmn

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jjaba.

That strip of land is vacant now and has been for years unfortunately. That whole intersection is just a memory now. There was an S.S. Kresge on the Northeast corner that I used to go to when I was a kid. There are only three businesses on that block now with the rest torn down. You can see Petosky from Livernois now because of the vacant lots.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5971
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another true Detroit ruins. Those wonderful two-story brick commercial blocks from the 1920s is what made Detroit neighborhoods so nice. Walk to shops, walk to buses, and shop on a transfer.

jjaba recalls your Kresges like it was yesterday.
Now all's we got is speeding cars on John C. Lodge Expy. looking up at the ruins.

Do post some current photos if you can.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6985
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For far is I know The former Livernois and Fenkell Shopping district is long gone. The Lodge FWY torn it up, crackheads mess it up. The folks who lived there don't give a hoot about the area.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5975
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess it is really rough around the UD/Mercy area, south of campus.

jjaba.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4864
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's some limited new construction in that area. Mostly fast food and the like. But nearly everything near there is rough and new stores age quickly. My uncle's former business was near 6 and Livernois.

Still lots of crime (drugs).

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is/was a green sign near that intersection that says "Harmony Village Market" and has an arrow pointing in the west direction.

To the north and west of that intersection are the following 3 buildings and a Canopy-type structure. Could this structure have been the location of the "Harmony Village Market"????

Does anybody know what the "Harmony Village Market" was????

The 3 buildings

Harmony Village Market???

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Harmony Village Market sign's been there for quite a while. Never found it.

Circle Glass Co is still on Fenkell E of Livernois. Another one of those "diamonds-in-the-rough-neighbo rhood" type of deals. They supply every hardware store (left) in the city and suburbs. Top notch service, wholesale prices.

To take that drive further east towards 12th and see all those old commercial/retail spaces right on the street really makes me wonder about how vibrant that strip (along with most of the main drags thru this town) were at one time.

By the way, I was looking at an old deed with the platted information on it from the mid 20's from a house on Evergreen just north of Fenkell. Fenkell on the map was 14th (or 12th) Street. Found that interesting, considering that's where Fenkell starts.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1755
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Bdglsmn! Welcome to the Forum. This thread really brings back memories! I grew up on LaSalle between Fenkell and Puritan, and used to go to the Livernois shopping strip with my mom a lot. She used to buy kid curlers to do my hair; The Kresge 5 and 10 was magical to me because they had so many odd items, in a way it reminds me of Paul's Cut Rate downtown. Remember the Rib Shack [i think thats what it was called] at the end of the block, on the Lodge service drive? There was this circular exit to Livernois from the Lodge that was changed a number of years ago. I attended Post Junior High between 66 and 69, and used to walk up Midland to school. On the way home I always took a detour to the Kresges, then finished my way home by going down Fenkell, stopping at a party store to get a copy of JET. This was when I was going to summer school in 68. There is NO WAY I would ever let my daughter do that now! She goes to Cass Tech, and gets dropped off in the morning and picked up in the afternoon. I have so many great memories, though, of this neighborhood....I remember the Honey Baked Ham place well; my dad banked at the Detroit Bank & Trust on Fenkell, St.Francis Home for Boys.

Leoqu een/Gilda, alum of Custer Elementary, Post Jr.High, Cass Tech

Jjaba

Post Number: 5979
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Classic post, Leoqueen. Good to hear positve takes from Westsiders. jjaba had some friends from Post who went to Cass Tech. jjaba was in Printing Dept. on the 6th floor after learning alot from Mr. Gutterberg at Tappan Intermediate.

We had a print shop in our old coal bin on Northlawn near Intervale.

Your description of the omnipresent commercial blocks of stores is true. We shopped and walked, rode buses in the neighborhoods.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About 4 yrs ago I restored some old decorative (lilly) lead glass windows on Lasalle, 1st block N. or Puritan. Beautiful houses there.

Jjaba, many of those houses are really deep into the lots. Any idea of the history/inhabitants there? I thought U of D, given its proximity, had some influence. But why just that one block? Normandy's not nearly as grand, nor is east (Lawton?).

HamT, re-glazing windows.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5986
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HamT, jjaba hasn't a clue. But thanks for asking.
Keep up your important work.
jjaba.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 221
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 4:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

didn,t that area have one of those "mini riots" back in 75 or so?

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4664
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 4:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes. RIP Marian Pscyzo, a polish immigrant, dishwasher at Sanders's, killed by a racist mob at Livernois/Fenkell, summer 1974

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 188
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L ivernois-Fenkell_riot

Jjaba

Post Number: 5991
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dustin89, excellent post. Thanks for the hotlink to our history. Sounds like Coleman Young got into action to quiet it down.

jjaba.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From 1981 till 1989 I worked for a bakery distributor that was located on Wildemere (I think they're still there), just a block or 2 past Oakman Blvd. & Ewald Circle. There were some beautiful homes on those streets. Well kept lots; it was a pleasant drive when I took Oakman into work. There was a GREAT deli on Fenkell, just west of Livernois. We'd go there for lunch quite often.
Unfortunately, I didn't witness this area in its prime, but I could see what it was and what it could be again.
We were robbed at gunpoint at that place; I thought I was a dead duck. Just like the movies, they had us lay face down on the floor. Horrible.
What I did witness while working over there was the emergence of "crack houses". Now that I look back with 20/20 hindsight I understand what I was seeing but at the time, who knew? It's like you knew something was going on, but you're not sure what and us regular folk had yet to hear of crack back in the early eighties. Regular folk as in, not druggies.

(Message edited by thames on January 19, 2008)

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe you're referring to the Modern Deli on Fenkell , Great food , up till around 1985 or so .

Leob
Username: Leob

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Masterblaster's pic #1 was Tera Shirma studios.
From our sister site Soulful Detroit:
http://www.soulfuldetroit.com/ web03-terashirma/index.html

Leo B

Ruthie1
Username: Ruthie1

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I too have been enjoying these forums from the shadows. I lived on Robson between Fenkell and Puritan, but actually closer to Puritan. I graduated from Cooley in 67 and we moved around 69 or 70 to Southfield. But, I remember that area fondly - does anyone remember the "Red Devil" pizzeria? I loved their food.

Ruthie1
Username: Ruthie1

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leob - thank you for that link to Tera Shirma studios - my brother is friends to this day with one of the Sunliners - Gil, and he went to the Club Cliche that is mentioned in there, and knew all the other Sunliners too. I will have to forward this to him. It sure was fun viewing it.

Reddog289

Post Number: 222
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i don,t remember my uncles auto parts store on Fenkell too well just remember that his store was looted during the riot, i,ll have to find the address and look it up . RED DEVIL they had great pizza.

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 155
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mmmmm, Red Devil. Great stuff. YUM. Grew up at the corner of Ardmore and Eaton, two blocks south of Sam's Drugs on Fenkell. Loved the storefront in Sam's block that was all toys. Ran by the family too. Eventually they opened the whole block internally. Years later, one of the Sam's family opened the antique coin toy collection out on Orchard Lake and Northwestern years.

Detroit cops stopped me on my bicycle once: "Hey kid, here's $20, go in the toy shop and try to buy fireworks". I was too straight looking - no sale.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't one of the first Honeybaked stores over there too?

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 887
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Red Devil Pizza on Fenkell was popular into the early 80s, but unsure after that. Many of my HS friends who would have normally attended Cooley HS were rerouted to Redford HS in the mid-to-late 70s. There was also a very popular adult "club" on the west side of Livernois north of Fenkell.

Reddog289

Post Number: 228
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 4:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it was in the 80,s when my uncle started to take me to the Red Devil for pizza, my father who grew up close to there always talked about Sams Drugs. keep saying im going to get me a Red Devil pizza.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6002
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ptero, classic post. Can you spell ENTRAPMENT?
Great little story.

jjaba.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 374
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernois between Puritan and Midland. Photo looks to be from the 1950's.

Larger View

Ookpik

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2583
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks to have been shot from an old used car lot that used to be ubiquitous on Liverwurst. Think that's a '56 Chevy at the curb. Ook comes through again!

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 192
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a sad reminder of the current state of Fenkell Street:
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20080121/METRO /801210376/1361

Austinjohn
Username: Austinjohn

Post Number: 309
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived on Steger Court when I was a kid. It is near Livernois and Puritan. The cross street was San Juan. My friend Dave was a preacher's kid. His dad was a minister at Henderson Memorial Methodist Church on Puritan. Moved when I was 13 to Flint, then to Jackson. Moved back to Detroit to go to WSU in 1973.

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

15 year old girls out at 4 am in west Detroit. That sums up a lot of what is wrong with Detroit right there.

Nordawg_626
Username: Nordawg_626

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived on Belden From 64 to 97 it's really make me sad to see how bad it's getting over there.

Reddog289

Post Number: 231
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i would show that article to 'my 15yr old girl' but she,d just ignore it. i,d did drive down Fenkell exploring when i was 16, said "This ain,t as good as 7mi".

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My family used to own the Starlit TV repair on Fenkell just west of Livernois . Met my first wife there,as she lived upstairs from the TV shop. F.D.Stella products across the street. Also there was a little dinner on Fenkell and Chalfonte I think that had great lunch. I think it was called Harry's. Lot of great places in that are. Good Houskeeping shop on Livernois. East of Livernois, was a great delicatessen. Had the best Pastrami.Also remember the Rib shack near the freeway.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6073
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jgavrile, Welcome to The Forum. Good to see more Westsiders showing up.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Bdglsmn

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to report that the deli that Thames and Jgravrile mentioned earlier burned to the ground last night. This is very disappointing to me because my family owns property in that area and myself and friends have purchased a couple of buildings down there in hopes of revitalizing that little strip on Fenkell from Dexter to Livernois. The Modern Delicatessen has always been anchor for that neighborhood even though it had turned into more of a liquor store than restaurant.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad to hear Bdglsmn, after the Jewish community left the Linwood and Dexter neighborhood, the Modern Deli was the closest place for me to get a good corned beef sandwich.

Bdglsmn

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jman. It makes me sad. I remember sitting at that lunch counter, back in the late sixties early seventies, when I was just a little fella. It was a warm and comfortable place no matter what race/religion you were.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny you should describe it as "warm". The last time I remember being there was on a cold winter day. Probably about 20 below and 10 feet of snow. O.K., I tend to exaggerate a bit. Anyway, it was exactly as you describe and not just the temperature in the deli but the people as well.

J1146
Username: J1146

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just stumbled on this site. Fenkell - Livernois - Dexter> I do have some memories. I lived on Wildemere both north and south of Fenkell. I lived on Fenkell over Epstein’s Bakery. I lived on Quincy at Fenkell over an attorney's office. His name was Don Windiate. It was next to Taepke"s Hardware which was next to the Three Roses bar. Mr.Peleo owned the bar. I used to play with his son, Cornell. Weaver's Pool Hall was also in the neighborhood. On Livernois, north of Fenkell, was the Savoi, a fine restaurant. Guido was bar tender and part owner. Great steaks-always with a side of spaghetti. I forget the name of the movie house on Fenkell between Dexter and Livernois. They used to have "Dish Night". Occasionally one would hear a dish drop and break. That always got a round of applause. This was all during the depression. We had more fun!

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 373
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoyed the conversations on this thread; always nice to read what people have to say about Post Junior High and Good Old Cooley High.

I was somewhat puzzled by the Wikipedia article on the Livernois & Fenkell "mini-riot" that took place in 1975; there is mention of race-related attacks.

With all due respect to the poor soul that lost his life in the disturbance; my remembrance is that...by the summer of '75, there were very few white folks remaining in the area of Fenkell and Livernois.

Perhaps I am mistaken; were elderly entrenched white homeowners and/or unsuspecting white passers-by being attacked?

Bdglsmn

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow J1146 those are great memories! I would love to see what that area looked like back then.

J1146
Username: J1146

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the eyes of a young kid, the area looked terrific. There was a blond with curly hair that sold tickets at the Picadilly theatre. She was the prettiest girl in the world. There was a big barber shop on Fenkell, east of Livernois. Full of mirrors. It looked like Cobo Hall does now.