Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Old Car Factories » Old Car Factories - 16
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Top of pageBottom of page

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 703
Posted From: 66.19.23.97
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hupmobile radiator badge

Part One of Detroit Hupmobile plants.

The Hupp plants that are in the OCF database:
345 Bellvue Ave
115-185(657) Lycaste
1300-1324 Jefferson & Concord
Milwaukee & Mt. Elliott

The first photo is the Jefferson factory.

Hupmobile Jefferson factory 1
DPL/NAHC

Hupmobile Jefferson factory 2
WSU/CFAI

Hupp Jefferson, M&W sign

This is the factory that is purported to become the King Motor Car factory in 1911 or 1912, but other articles on Hupp have things really confused as to the dates which plants were used when. I tried to find some old aerials of the factory, but the Morgan & Wright tire factory is putting out so much smoke that it is obscurred in every photo that I've found so far. Waiting for the wind to change...

An ad for the 1910 Hupmobile, made in the Jefferson Ave plant.

1910 Hupmobile ad

I may post an inquiry on the AACA forum to see if anyone can pin down the Hupmobile factory dates.

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on January 11, 2006)

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2289
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted this picture on this thread, at which time I concluded that it was the former factory of the Detroit Gasket & Mfg Co. The map at the bottom of the thread showing Detroit Gaskett is from 1947. In 1925, Detroit Gaskett was at 1230 Wilbur St, south of Henry Ford Hospital, so they must have moved out of the city to expand. Today I discovered in a 1973 Polk's directory that it is listed as Chrysler's Burt Road Export Plant, 12640 Burt Rd.

Most of my Chrysler stuff is on page 9 of this thread. Some listings for Chrysler from 1973, most of which we already have:

Airtemps Division - 14226 Schaefer Hwy
Burt Road Export Plant - 12640 Burt Rd
Clairpointe Pre-production Plant - 12217 Freud
Conant Trim Plant - 7900 Jos Campau
Detroit Universal Division - 6455 Kingsley, Dearborn
Wyoming Export Plant - 6000 Wyoming
Hamtramck Assembly Plant - 7900 Jos Campau
Hamtamck Trim Plant - 7900 Jos Campau
Huber Ave Foundry - 6425 Huber Ave
Jefferson Assembly Plant - 12200 E Jefferson
Jefferson Trim Plant - 12200 E Jefferson
Lynch Assembly Plant - 6334 Lynch Rd
Detroit Forge Plant - 6600 Lynch Rd
Eldon Ave Axle Plant - 6700 Lynch Rd
Mack Ave Stamping - 11631 Mack Ave
McGraw Glass Plant - 9400 McGraw
Mound Road Engine Plant - 20300 Mound Rd
Outer Drive Stamping - 3675 E Outer Dr
Sterling Stamping - 35777 Van Dyke, Sterling Twp
Truck Engineering Office - 6565 E Eight Mile Rd, Warren
Vernor Tool & Die - 12026 E Vernor Hwy
Vernor Trim Plant - 12025 E Vernor Hwy
Warren Stamping - 22800 Mound Rd, Warren
Warren Tool & Die - 8701 E Eight Mile Rd, Warren
Warren Truck Assembly - 21500 Mound Rd, Warren
Warren Office & Warehouse - 6565 E Eight Mile Rd, Warren
Winfield Foundry - 9611 Winfield St

(Message edited by MikeM on January 11, 2006)

Scrippsbooth
Username: Scrippsbooth

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 4.232.186.164
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps the best Hupp historian around is my friend Bill Cuthbert who put out his book "THE HUPMOBILE STORY" in 2004. On page 41 he quote ATJ June 1 1912 "Hupp Motor Car Company Detroit Mich. new plant Milwaukee and Mt. Elliott Aves. is now complete...by March the Detroit production facilities had been relocated to new quarters at Mt. Elliott and and Milwaukee Avenues."

Then from HA February 21 1912 the King Motor Car Co "will remove on or about March 1 to the factory now occupied by the Hupp Motor Car Co. Jefferson avenue east and Concord avenue Detroit Mich.

So it appears the move took place the first few days in the beginning of March 1912.

Up to this time it looks like the Hupp factory was just an assembly plant purchasing parts and pieces from local suppliers. One question is who supplied the Baby Hup unit power plant? I think the best canidate is Golden Belknap & Swartz [GBS] that was located on GRA a little before WGB. I have pictures of the GBS 1913 unit power plant model which appears to be the same design as the Baby Hup engine but am looking for a GBS picture or advertisement in the 1909 to 1912 period.

(Message edited by Scrippsbooth on January 12, 2006)

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 704
Posted From: 63.41.40.168
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info S-B, our main source, the Szudarek book, is less than clear on the subject.

Part Two of Hupmobile's Detroit factories.

This first photo provides a clue that we should be able to track down to determine and/or confirm its location. I suspect it is the Bellevue factory. The sign by the door reads "Hupp Motor Car Co."

Hupp
WSU/CFIA

A close up of the water tower in the background.

This next photo is now what I think an early photo of the Milwaukee and Mt. Elliot factory area. It sure looks like it was taken out in the boonies. (Note the shadow cast by the cameraman in the foreground.)

Hupp Factory
DPL/NAHC

Today's tour concludes with our old friend, the Hupp/Hupp-Yates/R.C.H./Liberty/Kess-Line factory on Lycaste.

Hupp factory Lycaste

The last iteration as Kess-Line, again for old times sake.

Kess-Line factory

A close up from the K-Line photo showing the Ice(?) plant in the background. It also appears that what are two buildings in the Hupp photo are now joined into one.

Finally a shot of the boys at the Hupp plant, probably from the first years.

Hupp factory workers
WSU

Bate
Username: Bate

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 4.247.137.85
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip,
For more on Fisher 12 (1961 E. Milwaukee)check out page 1 or 2 for overhead before/after images - you can still see the outline of the plant after demolition. Good job posting the HAER photos, I only had a link before.

I'll float this as well...is anyone interested in doing some photo recon next Saturday 1/21? Yes, I know it's the middle of winter, but I only get to visit Detroit in January. If so, drop me a line batinc@gate.net. I will make sure the "tourguide" is properly compensated (cash, food, drink). Regards, bate

Mikem

Post Number: 2290
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bate, I might be available. I'm off to Airbus school for the next two weeks, but I might have the weekend off. I'll send you an email later in the week.

Back on page 12, I mentioned that Briggs had a plant on Harper that burned down. Today I found this picture and some details. It was at the corner of Harper and Russell. An explosion in the spray painting department started the fire on April 23, 1927. It burned for two days, killed 21 people, and with the loss estimated at $2,265,000, it became the city's first $2,000,000 fire.

Briggs fire 1927

I wonder it the film from the cameraman on the right exists somewhere.

Mikem

Post Number: 2291
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I briefly mentioned Gemmer on page 5 of this thread where I posted that they set up shop in town in 1907 at 741 Merrick Ave. On page 9, the history of Divco says that they expanded into the former Gemmer factory at 2435 Merrick, corner of 16th Street, which is what the 741 address translates to after 1921. I have no date for the move of Gemmer to Mt Elliott, nor for the move of Divco to the Merrick Ave facility (sounds like late-1920s). Divco went bankrupt, was sold to Continental Motors, and production was moved to the Continental factory on E Jefferson in 1932, and to Hoover in Warren a few years later.

The Merrick site looks empty and I found this today:

Gemmer Fire 1939

The factory was abandoned and burned down on June 15, 1939.

Mikem

Post Number: 2294
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by the former Chrysler Burt Road Export Plant today, 12640 Burt, just south of I-96. The front (west) side is fronted by a long office building with boarded-up windows:

Chyrsler Burt Rd Export - west

The sign over the door says "Burt Industrial Park" and upon closer inspection, I found these two carvings on either side. I suppose since the woman is holding a gasket, we can assume the plant was built for the Detroit Gasket & Manufacturing Company.

man

woman

On the backside you can see the profile of the large side-lighted roof quite well. The factory and out buildings have all been painted a light shade of blue:

Burt Rd Export - east

Burt Rd Export - docks

From two summers ago:

Burt Road Export - Detroit Gasket

Mikem

Post Number: 2295
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My earlier post with the GM Parts address of 8211 Decatur puts it at the corner of Tireman and Decatur. The Tireman Road view:

GM Parts - Tireman at Decatur

The back end of the building is being used as a mental health clinic while the front end is being rehabbed. At the very back, a set of loading docks has "Receiving" and "Shipping" signs above, both in that standard GM blue they use for signs on their property.

Behind it (north on Decatur) is another warehouse of similar style which might have been part of the operation. It's still being used as a warehouse. Again, too wide and long to fit in the lens from any angle:

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 706
Posted From: 66.19.18.38
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Part Three of Detroit's Hupmobile factories.

This is the Hupp plant on Milwaukee and Mt. Elliot, aerial view from 1949.

Hupmobile aerial Milwaukee & Mt. Elliot

The next seven photos are from the Library of Congress, Built in America gallery, documenting buildings demolished for the Poletown plant.

Overall view looking west.

Hupmobile Milwaukee & Mt Elliot

Overall view looking northwest.

Overall view looking west.

Courtyard between buildings 7 and 8, looking west.

Watertower on roof looking northwest.

Interior of 4th floor, building 8.

Interior of 5th floor, building 8.

LOC, Built in America

An aerial view looking east from the 1930s. Dodge Main towards the lower left, Hupp center, Packard mid-upper right side.

Hupmobile Milwaukee & Mt Elliot aerial
WSU/VMC

Mikem

Post Number: 2298
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chrysler listed 6455 Kingsley in Dearborn as an address for its Detroit Universal Division. Chrysler seemd to have a little west side operation in the 1960's. This grainy aerial view is looking toward the northwest at Wyoming between McGraw and W Warren:

Chrysler - west side

MGG = McGraw Glass, formerly the DeSoto Plant
DUD = Detroit Universal Division
DST = Detroit Seamless Tube, no relation to Chrysler
GP = Graham Paige, where Chryrsler briefly built Imperials

MGG

DUD

GP

I've posted pictures of the DeSoto and Graham factories earlier. Here's the best I could do for the Universal plant on Kingsley. Kingsley is residential on the west side and the plant is walled off for the benefit of the residents. The east side of the plant is hidden behind the huge Seamless Tube factory, which is now called the Dearborn Steel Center.

Detroit Universal

I think Universal made drivetrain components.

(Message edited by MikeM on January 12, 2006)

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 707
Posted From: 66.19.18.38
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hupmobile Factory Addendum:

The Hupmobile factory in Windsor circa 1913, from the Windsor Community Museum. (not sure if this has been posted before)

Hupmobile Windsor Ont factory 1913

To keep it international, an ad from France for the 1930 Hupmobile.

1930 Hupmobile ad, France

This is an ad for the Hupp-Yeats electric car, later R.C.H.

Hupp-Yeats ad

A closeup of the address...

Hupp-Yeats address

A photo of a 1911 Hupp-Yeats from the Reynolds-Alberta Museum in Wetaskiwin AB.

1911 Hupp-Yeats electric car

Finally, a color ad from the 20s, just because.

Huppmobile ad 1920s

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5217
Posted From: 64.228.197.254
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I posted that Hupp one a while back. The building is still standing, however it is converted to office use.

Here are some pictures of the Seagrave factory in Windsor on Walker Road, that we discussed a loooong time ago:

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 709
Posted From: 63.41.8.118
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lkingsr is having some difficulty in posting to this thread, so he sent me these images to post and resize. I took some liberties in PS to get some more detail out of them. Thanks for the photos and info!

The first photo is from a newsletter showing the King factory on Jefferson, former Hupmobile factory, from 1914.

King Factory, Jefferson Ave, 1914

The next photos are from a postcard and a manual showing the King factories, from around 1916. Any ideas of the smaller building? I don't think I've seen the arch roofed one before, maybe a dealership(?).

King factory postcard

King Factories drawing

The last photos I found especially interesing, they are from a pamphlet announcing the opening of a large King dealership on Woodward and Warren in 1920, called the Crosstown Corporation. Have we covered this at all, or is it new information?

Crosstown Corp 1920

Crosstown Corp 1920 back

Crosstown Corp 1920 back c/u

(This must be one of the busiest weeks on the OCF thread in a long time.)

Sven1977
Username: Sven1977

Post Number: 150
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Germer Sanborn Map.

Sven1977

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Crosstown map.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 713
Posted From: 63.41.8.52
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So it looks like the Crosstown Corp was where the Rackham Memorial Education Building now stands, unless I'm reading the map wrong. Since that was built in 1941, the Crosstown only lasted 20 years. I'm searching for photos of that intersection, but it seems only Art Centre Bowling (22 lanes!) survived the Rackham construction.

Looking at the drawings and photos of the Hupp/King plant on Jefferson, and from the aerial posted earlier, it looks like that was demolished to make way for the U.S. Rubber/Uniroyal plant expansion.

Aiw, it appears that the Seagrave factory hasn't been touched and is in original condition. Some anonymous person should come up with a "Historic Auto/Truck Factory" stencil to put up a sign in a conspicuous spot, not that I'm advocating graffiti in anyway. Perhaps one could apply for a grant to mark these buildings for purely educational purposes.

Mikem, you posted so much Chrysler info, I don't know what to include in the db. I'm starting to move parts only factories into the parts section, and am changing some of the parts entries into motor. The main "A" is only going to be for assembly plants. or as close as they can to that.

Huebner Mfg: I haven't been able to find anything on the web about the firm. My google-fu fails me. So that Hupp Motor Co location isn't decided.

Mikem

Post Number: 2300
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I asked about this factory, 3901 Christopher in Hamtramck, on page 6. Hamtramck Steve responded that it was at one time the Grinding Machine Co. I've since discovered that it was the Gear Grinding Machine Co, listed in my 1925 directory at the intersection of Connant and the G T Ry. Sometime after the war the Dana Corp bought the plant. It is listed in my phone book as their "Con-Vel Division" plant. Con-Vel = Constant Velocity:

From the history of the Dana Corp:
http://www.dana.com/centennial /histbook/New_Dana_Complete.pd f

quote:

New companies (and new names) were added to the Dana Corporation. Auburn Clutch, a well-known manufacturer of light-and heavy-duty clutches; Chelsea Products, a leading designer and producer of power take-offs (PTOs); and Con-vel, which owned exclusive U.S. rights to the Rzeppa constant velocity u-joints, were acquired in the late 1940s and 1950s to broaden Dana’s “under-the-vehicle” product offering.

To sell more product, Dana opened a showcase facility in Fort Wayne, Indiana, for the Salisbury Axle Division, which in turn freed up space in Toledo to produce more transmissions. The company also acquired a new frame plant in Detroit, and purchased a small outfit in Marion, Indiana, in 1950 to increase production of its u-joints. Though small, Marion Tool and Engineering had great potential in the eyes of Charles Dana and Ralph Carpenter. Within months of acquiring the shop, they moved work from the Hillsdale Division and broke ground on a new plant. By 1960, Dana’s Marion Division produced 20 percent of all driveshafts in the United States."

A ditty on the Rzeppa CV joint from a gearhead site:

quote:

"In marked contrast to the cardan style universal joint, a true constant-velocity (CV) universal joint is one that transmits torque/rotation with an angular velocity ratio of unity between input and output shafts. In other words, even at an angle, the input and output shafts travel at the same (Constant) speed (Velocity) hence the name - Constant Velocity. CV universal joints are not common in 4x4 driveshafts, but are very common in front wheel drive car half-shafts (axles). The pic to the left shows a very common style of CV joint, the Rzeppa joint, invented in 1920 by a Dana engineer named Alfred H. Rzeppa

I'll let you google pictures of Rzeppa joints. I'll try to find the frame plant they bought.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5221
Posted From: 64.228.197.254
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Horwrecker, the Seagrave factory is in largely original condition, it was however expanded from the original as business increased.

Here's how it looked in 1913:

If any of the old factories in Windsor was the most threatened, it would be this one. It has been mostly vacant for a long time, and is detreriorating. Every once in a while demolition rumors float around, but nothing ever comes of them.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 717
Posted From: 66.19.16.55
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aiw, it looks like they did a great job of expanding the original building. As it appears to me, the section on the right was the original, and the center and other wing were added complimenting the intial bldg. If the neighbourhood still looked the way in that 1913 pic, that building would be the perfect size for apts or condos. Better yet would be a fire dept museum.

I've received another scan from Lkingsr, this one of the dealership on Woodward and new car line announcement.

quote:

This one is of the "Coronation of the King." It shows the first showing of
the 1911 King "Silent 36". The location was the Thompson Auto Company at
972 Woodward Avenue. A sales agency for the "Coronation of the King" put an
over-size crown fitted on a King. The sign in the window shows a date of
June 22nd. Their first plant was a rented one at 1559 W. Jefferson. They
started building cars in 1911 from the rented plant. The first King cars
also had several firsts for the industry. They included, left hand
steering, center control gearshift, and contilever springs. Charles King
was awarded some 40 patents relating to the motor car and its components.

Kinging the King

I dig that cool, giant crown on the back of the car. Oops, wrong generation, I mean... 23 skidoo?

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 720
Posted From: 66.2.149.151
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found this family tree in a book I'm reading about Chrysler history. I wish I would have seen this earlier while trying to figure it out.

Chrysler Family Tree

From: "Riding the Rollercoaster, A History of the Chrysler Corporation." Charles K. Hyde, WSU Press, 2003.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 850
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted this on another thread, but think its important for people that only come to this thread.
http://maps.a9.com/?ypLoc=3800 %20Woodward%20Ave%2C%20Detroit %2C%20MI

Is a new map program that drives you down streets and shows what buildings on there!
THere are many places that are not available yet
Its a somewhat clumsy to use, but pretty good pictures.

Sven1977

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went out on Sunday with my camera looking for buildings I haven't photographed yet. Of course I ran into others with cameras. We need to wear OCF hats to identify ourselves to other explorers. I drove by the Federal Truck plant. It was a hubbub of flea market activity. Does anyone have old Cadillac Clark St. pictures? Crossing town, what was the old factory building/now condos at Bellevue and Jefferson?

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 722
Posted From: 66.2.148.2
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sven, I've got a couple of B&W photos of the Clark St plant. Let me check the archives to see if they've been posted yet. (It's getting too difficult to keep track of stuff, maybe I'll have to add an index column to the db, if I get really bored, emphasis on the really.)

Sven1977

Post Number: 153
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeM, do you have a photo of a factory at Custer and John R.? That is the location of Cadillac plant #4. Have we discussed that already?

Sven1977

Post Number: 154
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Federal Truck

Cadillac Plant #4

(Message edited by SVEN1977 on January 16, 2006)

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 861
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a link to a 1922 Cass Tech Mechanical Drawing text book.
http://tinyurl.com/cr7n6
Check out the homepage, this site has many old technical books online.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1112
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sven,

Jefferson at Bellevue is the location of the Frederick Stearns & Company, a manufacturing pharmaceuticals firm. The building was designed by Stratton and Baldwin in 1899, with a tower addition by Albert Kahn c.1910. It was renovated in Schervish Vogel Merz in 1989 when it was turned residential as The Lofts.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 78
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Federal Truck, as did Cadillac, apparently got great railroad service, being serviced directly from both the Detroit Line and the Michigan Line.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on January 16, 2006)

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 723
Posted From: 63.41.8.59
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked the archives, and I don't think that these photos have been posted before.

The first is the Cadillac Clark St plant in the mid 50s.

Cadillac Clark St 1950s

A close up of the bridges across Clark (?).

Cadillac Clark St 1950s

A view from the railroad side, showing both lines, probably from the 1970s.

Cadillac Clark St 1970s

All photos from WSU, beware their mislabelled photos.

Sven, any idea of a street number for Cadillac #4, and what date was the map from?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Clark Cadillac was almost a city in itself. I can only imagine how busy the local bars were before the 1980s.

The "Enpowerment Zone" there in its wake today is a total bust. On Clark Street now there's a FedEx facility, some plant (that I forget what it does), and a (minority-owned) firm which made gas tanks before being caught bilking the Feds for money. So that firm probably isn't even in operation anymore...

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 724
Posted From: 63.41.8.59
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're not kidding about being a city. Never be driving near there, back then, during shift change. I got stuck near Dodge Main once during shift change, that was the last time that ever happened.

Here's an aerial of Clark St from 1949, just as a reminder of how big.

Cadillac Clark St  aerial 1949

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a huge underground tunnel system underneath much of the Clark Street plant. I hear that some of it isn't all destroyed (or covered up adequately) on account of some stories I've heard from some curious explorers.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For all of you Cadillac Clark St. plant fans, author Lolita Hernandez, who worked at the old Clark Cadillac Assembly Plant in southwest Detroit, will be signing copies of her book "Autopsy of an Engine" at the Detroit Historical Museum on Saturday, January 21 at 1pm. (For more info on the event: http://www.detroithistorical.o rg/thingstodo/index.asp?ID=3)

For more info on the book: http://www.coffeehousepress.or g/autopsyofanengine.asp

Sven1977

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, I believe the Caddy plant address is 1301-1309 John R. The map is probably from 1915.

Sven1977

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This picture matches the King picture above and the map in an earlier thread. It's on EGB near Jefferson.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 726
Posted From: 66.19.25.20
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good find Sven, that's got to be the building. Amazing that it looks like it hasn't been changed all that much in all these years. Was that the bldg labeled as King Chassis Shop, or something like that on the Sanborn? What does the sign say?

Here are a couple of photos of the Chrysler-Plymouth factory showroom that was in front of the Jefferson Ave factory, 1933.

Chrysler-Plymouth factory showroom
DCHC

The new 1934 Airflows are here!

Chrysler-Plymouth factory showroom interior
DCHC

An aerial view from 1949.

Chrysler-Plymouth factory showroom aerial

Sven1977

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sign on the building a few posts above says, "Design Sculpt Render". The Sanborn Map labels it as King Motor Car Co. Auto Chassis Warehouse

Kathleen

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Sven, for mentioning what the sculpted sign over the door says. Dave and I have looked at that building numerous times, puzzling over the sign. The use of the building as an automotive facility never even crossed our minds. I think today it is used as an artist design studio, and we thought it might have had a similar use in the past.

Photoall
Username: Photoall

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a framed photo
Labell Funeral Motor Cars
patented April 8, 1913
Owned and operated by
Labell funeral Motor Car Co. office and garage
390 third Avenue, detroit, Mich.
telephone Grand 3226
Office open Night and Day
I am looking for any information on this company.
Also I am interested in selling this 12x24 black wood frame. it has some water damage but you can see the 2 funeral coaches open and closed sides..
I haven't taken it out of glass because I think it will damage the photo. Looks like it may be stuck to glass and don't know what to do to loasen it. Thanks email at photoallisme@aol.com if interested.
I have enjoyed looking at the old car factories sites especially because i have a 1938 buick model 48 2-door all original. straight eight engine and 6-volt electrical.
thanks
Al
Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Old Car Factories » Old Car Factories - 16
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24