Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Anyone Remember 7 Mile and Gratiot? » Anyone Remember 7 Mile and Gratiot? - 1 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was born and raised at 7 and Gratiot. As a wee youngster I remember walking with me mum to Kresqe's and Woolworth's, in addition to the big department stores- Federal's and Montgomery Ward's. I have many fond memories of this. Jerry Glanville, former NFL coach grew up in this same neighborhood and talked about how his dad would pick his mom up from Federal's in the ally. I remember going to Fed's and thinking it was cool to walk through the ally to get to the other half of the store. Also as a teenager I spent many dates in the alley behind Fed's and Ward's in my car because this was a good place to take my date to drink California Coolers!!!! I would like to here any thoughts or memories of others who lived or spent time here.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 313
Posted From: 69.246.55.51
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got one of the original cast aluminum logos that used to grace the front door of the Cunningham's on the NE corner of Gratiot & 7. Obtained legally, by the way, in case anybody was wondering...:-)logo

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3495
Posted From: 70.226.45.232
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh, I miss Hamms on a Sunday morning, I would pick up, at the time, my future ex-wife from Downriver and head over there for breakfast, then hit the old Federal Building flea market to buy Depression glassware at inflated prices.

Paid 8 bucks for a juice glass to complete one of two sets which we never used.

But the omelettes were great!

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 116
Posted From: 68.42.252.205
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Sander's just north of 7 Mile at Pfent and Gratiot, and an Amy Joy donut shop across the street. Good eats.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 393
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Curious, what years/decade did these stores that you people are referencing on this thread close down?

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1302
Posted From: 12.64.12.148
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An aerial photo from 1961 that I did for another thread on this subject.

This might jog a few brain cells.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Federals went out of bus. I think around 77 or 78. Wards closed in 86 . The Woolworths was one of the last to close sometime around 89. And sadly Hamm's moved to Sterling Hts. where it never was the same neighborhood institution that it was on 7 Mile. It has since closed.
As for the flea market in the old Federals, Jams, remember that HUGE chair they had inside?

Ed_golick

Post Number: 314
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej72
The big chair originally used to sit in the lobby of the Ramona Theater at 6 and Gratiot. It eventually ended up in the garage of the owner of Comic Kingdom bookstore, which was across the street from the Ramona. The owner offered to give the chair to me for free, but I turned him down, a decision that I regret to this day.
Regarding the Sanders store, the building is still standing, its interior pretty much in the same shape as it was when the store closed. Wouldn't take much to reopen as a lunch counter or ice cream shop.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ed. I remember Comic Kingdom and The Ramona from trips to the library next door. Had no idea the chair used to belong there. Any idea what ever happened to it? Also went by the old Sanders recently and wondered why they left the building up when they tore all the others down for the new strip mall.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 315
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The owner of Comic Kingdom used to live on Maddelin, off of Gratiot. When he closed his Detroit store he moved near his St. Clair Shores store. I'd hate to think that he put the chair out on the curb when he moved, but I'll bet that's what happened.

(Message edited by Ed Golick on July 09, 2006)

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 630
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 Mile and Gratiot:

7 mile

Livedog2

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2417
Posted From: 4.229.72.20
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Across the street from Montgomery Wards was Lucy Evan's "OLD COUNTRY IMPORTS", a store that specialized in German imports.

And I remember Robert Hall's mens clothing store on 7 Mile 1 block west of Gratiot.

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 137
Posted From: 68.61.161.193
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live on Lappin, two blocks east of gratiot. There are still a couple of letters left on the WARDS sign, but mikes fresh market is about the only thing worth a shit on that corner.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 316
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget Ollie Fretter's.

ollie

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 842
Posted From: 68.35.85.184
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed, was that Cunningham's on the northwest corner, or was a Kresges there? I recall a lot of hours roaming around that store waiting for the 7 Mile or Schoenherr Shuttle bus to finish the final leg of my journey home from Cass.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 317
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jiminnm,
Cunningham's was on the northeast corner. Kresge's was on the northwest corner. Woolworth's was a few stores north of Kresge's. Here's a little bit bigger photo of what Livedog2 posted, which by the way was taken from the WSU Virtual Motor City site. It shows what Cunningham's used to look like.

cunn

Ed_golick

Post Number: 318
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also found this shot of the brand new Winkelman's store on Gratiot, north of 7 mile, again from WSU Virtual Motor City.

wink

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3496
Posted From: 67.38.18.157
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, you mentioned:

quote:

Across the street from Montgomery Wards was Lucy Evan's "OLD COUNTRY IMPORTS", a store that specialized in German imports.

Do you remember the German import shop, just south of 6 Mile? I worked at Fox Studio on that same block in the late 70's and would wander in there, I was never quite able to justify the price of those exquisite porcelains.

Sad, how in 30 years so much was lost on that Gratiot corridor.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody remember the name of the shoe store and furniture store on the southeast corner where Church's Chicken now stands? I remember it burned down in the summer of 1977 because we saw the flames as my parents drove home in our new car. Also remember watching the fire that destoyed what was left of Federal's Front building in the late 80's.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 68.251.199.53
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The name of the shoe store I remember was Jaglowics, I know I've butchered the spelling. This was on 7 Mile east of Gratiot. The sign used to say something about 'sizes AAA to EEE. I don't know if that's the same one you're talking about. There was another place down there that was a hall. I think it became a country bar for a while.
I spent a lot of time in that area with my friends probably in the late seventies, early eighties. Lots of bars. Went to Henry's which was a cop bar. Also some place called Deutcher's Last Call. I know I've mangled that spelling also. The Catholic bookstore that used to be there closer to Chalmers moved out to 12 & Van Dyke.
A friend of mine bought a house on the street two or three blocks south of 7 Mile. Saratoga? I don't know how much he paid for it but within 5 years he was glad to get a couple thousand bucks for it. I don't know what the dynamic was over there, probably drug dealers and addicts.

Nativegirl
Username: Nativegirl

Post Number: 62
Posted From: 136.1.1.101
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use to live on Fordham in the late 70's and early 80s before we moved to the NW side. The neighborhood started off nice and then went down real quick. Moms got the hell out before it got worse. But, I remember standing on the back balcony and seeing the old Federals and Wards sign. We could also hear the pedesterian traffic from up there as well. Winkelmen, Marianne, Fretters (on the eastside of the street) Cole's Optical, Sibleys were all there when we moved in and not all there when we left. I remember my sister and I walking to Wards one saturday before Mother's Day to buy moms a microwave! The sucker was huge (early 80s). Can you imagine two small sized girls (although we were teens) walking down Gratiot with a massive box that outweighed them? What a sight!!!

Ed_golick

Post Number: 320
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nativegirl,
Couldn't Fretter beat your best deal? I hope you got your five pounds of coffee.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 296
Posted From: 68.60.139.212
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somewhat closer into town, on Gratiot right by the corner of Outer Drive, was Haas. It was a small German family-owned cafeteria style restaurant that served freshly roasted turkey and roast beef. It was so wonderful. The food was delicious and the portions were large. At some point, perhaps in the early 80's, they closed and later reopened further out Gratiot where the food was simply awful. Then it closed for good.

Dday
Username: Dday

Post Number: 835
Posted From: 65.209.165.170
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anybody remember the name of the shoe store and furniture store on the southeast corner where Church's Chicken now stands? I remember it burned down in the summer of 1977 because we saw the flames as my parents drove home in our new car. Also remember watching the fire that destoyed what was left of Federal's Front building in the late 80's

Flagg Bros. Shoes.

I remember seeing the fire. Are you aure it wasn't '78? I think we were living on Pelkey at the time of the fire, but I may have been at my granmother's over on Annott. It was a big one and took a couple other buildings with it.

A lot of my friends lived over in that area right by 7 and Gratiot.

Great place to grow up.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 773
Posted From: 65.221.183.220
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a good friend that lived on Lappin with his parents and sister. I spent a lot of time at their house and loved the area. Walking down to Gratiot to all the stores, over to hayes and down to 7 Mile.

Dday

Post Number: 836
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I had a good friend that lived on Lappin with his parents and sister. I spent a lot of time at their house and loved the area. Walking down to Gratiot to all the stores, over to hayes and down to 7 Mile.

Me too. Second house off the corner east of Gratiot was one of my best friend's house. I still talk to him every time I'm back in town. Knew quite a few others that lived there on Lappin as well.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 775
Posted From: 65.221.183.220
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend lived almost to Hayes, I think 5 houses or so off the corner.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 685
Posted From: 67.38.25.56
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i grew up in the area. First 8 years of my life. on Novara between gratiot and hayes. Me and my mother use to walk to 7 and gratiot everyday to the stores, it was a area easily visably on decline.

Mjb3
Username: Mjb3

Post Number: 102
Posted From: 24.145.154.7
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up on Maddelein(across from St Judes nr Kelly)

My cousins lived on Lappin. I remember MonkeyWards and the escalator(it was one of the first escalators on the east side). Fretters was across the street as well.

Our neighborhood 7/Kelly had Aldo's restaurant, the best italian food I've ever had and I've been to Roma, Giovannis, Lellis, Andiamo and dozens of others. Merit Drugs was at Kelly and 7 1/2 mile. I also seem to remember a shoe store where the seating was on an elevated platform on right and left side of store. So when you walked in off Kelly, you walked up to left or right to try on shoes. Anybody out there remember the name of this shoe store?

Paul Clemens just wrote a book chronicalling growing up on east side. First he lived by assumption grotto and then moved over by 7/kelly.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ ct/038551140X/103-9610749-7869 463?v=glance&n=283155

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 67.125.189.14
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Robert Halls store on 7 Mile just west of Gratiot, Epps (Army/Navy surplus) north of 7 Mile, The Dog House near Saratoga Hospital, the bar on the corner of State Fair and Gratiot (Garvins, Taffy's, and other names too)

How about Top Hat, kitty corner from the White Castle?

St. Jude Elementary Graduate 1964 (Go Jets!)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 553
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember Jay's bar I went there with my dad as a kid and playd video games after his softball games at Bladuck and Heilman. Anyone remember the location of it?

Mjb3
Username: Mjb3

Post Number: 103
Posted From: 24.145.154.7
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandfather helped start the St. Judes credit union and installed the electrical lights in the church. small world.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steelworker, we were probably neighbors, I grew up at 14738 Novara. Used to walk up to Carmen's Party Store and blow all my money. Also loved buying cookies from Napple's Bakery.
Chitaku, do you mean Jay's Paper Station on Kelly next to Calcatera Funeral Home?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2423
Posted From: 4.229.105.222
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams,

That other German import store was EUROPE IMPORT CO. at 13525 Gratiot.

The owners son owns Players Racquetball in Warren on I696 Service Dr. near Schoenherr. That son had all the old unsold merchandise from the Detroit store in the original showcases at the racquettball location (strange to see). I purchased quite a few of the items there for something like 10 cents on the dollar, and found the Detroit address on one of the boxes I still have.

I vaguely remember visiting that store as a child with my parents back in the 1960's. Back then my father used to take my brother and I to get our hair cut at the City Barber College on Gratiot just south of McNichols.

And I still remember the Ramona Theatre on Gratiot at McNichols. The theatre rotunda was a landmark from the outside. It was interesting to see (on the outside) how similar the Ramona Theatre resembled the Grand Riviera Theatre on Grand River, even though they were by different architects, and the theatres were not at all similar on the inside.

Dday

Post Number: 837
Posted From: 208.102.0.103
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember Vetere's Pro Hardware, down on 7 south of Heilmann , where you got good used skates for like $10?

I still got my hair cut at City Barber College up through the early '80's (when I opted for a military cut). They never did a bad job.

Dday

Post Number: 838
Posted From: 208.102.0.103
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Steelworker, we were probably neighbors, I grew up at 14738 Novara. Used to walk up to Carmen's Party Store and blow all my money.

My paper station (Detroit News) was right next to Carmen's........ever get red hot Italian beef sandwiches from Tony's party store across the street? The best!!

Detroitej72

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeh, Vetere Pro hardware, few stores down from Frozen Custard. Didn't the paper station move next to Tony's at one time? In the building that was Twice is Nice Resale Shop. And yes, I enjoyed many of Tony's subs...I can still taste them!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 556
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah jay's paper station!!! i lived on the south east corner of Coram and Boulder

Detroitej72

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jay's Paper station used to serve great fish and chips. Then he bought Aldo's when he retired and expanded and it was renamed Patrick Jays. Had my daughter's christening party there.

Jokerman

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is anyone familiar with the term "driving the ruts"?

Detroitej72

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ruts from the Alleys?
just wondering....

Jan
Username: Jan

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 141.161.67.67
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jiminnm,

When did you hang out at the Kresge's waiting for the Schoenherr bus? I did that, too, on my way home from Cass. I went there from 1970 through 1973. I knew every inch of that store because I was in it at least 4 days a week. I always thought I was the only one.

Jokerman

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is anyone familiar with the term "driving the ruts"?

Those of us that lived between Hayes and Kelly, and 7 Mile and 8 Mile, during the late sixties and seventies used the term "driving the ruts".

This term came from the wintertime after a big snow. The city would not plow the side streets. Cars soons made ruts in the snow that we would have to drive in. These ruts would stay until a thaw, sometimes for the whole winter.

Eventually, we used the term "driving the ruts" to describe cruising our neighborhood anytime throughout the year.

Ultimately, "The Ruts" became the nickname for our neighborhood.

e.g. "He lives on State Fair. He's from The Ruts. She lives in East Detroit. She's not from The Ruts."

I asked the question yesterday, just to see if anyone from "The Ruts" was part of the discussion on this thread.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4545
Posted From: 141.217.84.91
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Krogers tried to come back to Detroit by tearin down Ward's Dept. store building and build their supermarket 2 years later it failed and sold it to Arab owner and he called it Mike's Supermarket. All is well in Little Italy, Detroit.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jokerman, I liverd on Noavra from 1972-1989 and was not faimilier with the tearm. Although I remember getting stuck everytime a car came in the opposing direrction and I pulled over my rear-wheel drive Dodge Aspen!

Danny, wasn't that a shame Kroger's made such a big deal out of how they were returning to the city after a 30 year absence, only to shut down after such a short time. Especially since they demolished the beautiful Ward's building in the process.

Jokerman

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej72,

If you were part of the group that tended to congregate around MacGregor Elementary you might have been familiar with the term. You also might be a little younger than the rest of us. The people that I'm talking about are currently in their early to mid-fifties. (Wow, that is really hard to believe when I see it in writing!)

Detroitej72

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jokerman,

Guess you have a few years on my. I'm in my mid-30's and went to MacGregor for 1st through 5th grade. Then of to Burbank for Middle School. By the way, went past Burbank this week and saw they changed the name to the new Dorthy Fisher Middle school. Funny, I almost went to the old DF but went to Burbank instead. Weired....

Jokerman

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump to the top!

Ed_golick

Post Number: 327
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody here old enough to remember the Flamingo Theater on 7, one block east of Gratiot?

Detroitej72

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed,
Would that be the place that was "The Outlet" for many years, and now is a church? Right across the street from where Soboslie's Catholic Supply House was located. If so I knew it used to be a theater but never remember it being open.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1051
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was recruited to be a mystery shopper, checking out and writing up a couple of Kroger's three days/week about four years ago. Good money for some 45 minutes "work"--while doing my regular shopping--$24 per visit. One Kroger's, in GP, was spotlessly clean enough to eat off its floor. It also had great management and lesser personnel. Guess where the other Kroger's was?

This "gem" on Lappin also had a number (albeit fewer) of competent lesser personnel. Its deli and pharmacy, among other departments, were great. But its "fresh" fish department also stunk up everything else within 25 yards. Moreover, this store was also used for training some of Kroger's newer, upcoming "suits"--some good, some bad, and some quite ugly.

If the night stocking crew didn't finish their pallets of merchandise, they would simply leave it totally clogging, say, the center of the baby food aisle until the next day or three. Evidence of "shrinkage" was scattered throughout the store, along with the wrappers and half-eaten food from "grazers."

I could go on and on about these mystery shopping events when returning from my morning softball games in Eastpointe two or three days/week, but anybody who read this far can figure it out without my elaboration...

Detroitej72

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would explain why the corporate bigwigs in Cinci sold the store. Wonder if they gave the city back the money from the 10 year "tax credit" Detroit had to pay in advance or if it shifted to the new owners?

Ed_golick

Post Number: 329
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej72,
Yes, The Solid Rock Church, formerly The Outlet was the Flamingo Theatre. The building on 7 Mile behind Wallgreens, now also a church, used to be a movie house too.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed_golick,

The building behind Wallgreenss... wasn't that a TV repair place that had a fire in the early 70's? I remember an abandond white-washed building behind the former Kresqes. Vaguely remember my dad saying it was a TV repair place. This was while we sat at Micky Dee's where Cunningham's once stood.

Steelworker

Post Number: 686
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej72 we were neighbors i lived from birth 1978till 1983 then from 1985 till 1989, Approximate dates. Most of my family lived on the street as well. my uncle who is 3 years older than me lived there from about 1974 till 1989. same with few of my cousins, and aunts. Wonder if my family knew yours.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 880
Posted From: 68.35.85.184
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan, I spend nearly every school afternoon in that store from Sept '61 to June '65. My mom dropped me of at the State Fair & Gratiot bus stop in the a.m. because the Schoenherr and 7 Mile buses weren't known for their timeliness. We lived at Waltham & Mannning, so going home the Schoenherr bus left me a 3 block walk and the Schoenherr bus 1 block. I just took the first one that showed up.

I bought a lot of 45 records in that Kresge's store.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steelworker-

If I may ask what was your address. We may know each other, as my sister was born in 1975. Did you know the DiMarcos? I was a Polish boy in a traditionaly Italian neghborhood. My first love's grandfather owned Gigglio's Italian Market. Were you by chance a Corsetti?

Steelworker

Post Number: 687
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont remember the exact address I was very young. I as well would walk to carmen at the end of the block with my cousins and uncle. We lived on a house on middle of the block on the northside of the road that had a double lot.

Steelworker

Post Number: 688
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my last name is deneau but most of my cousins and uncles had the last name of Martin

Detroitej72

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was by chance that the house that had a fire around 79? That house had a fire which I was facinated by and had me mum walk me past it on our way to 7 and Gratiot. Like I said I lived at 14738 Novara. Between Queen and Monarch. AT the corner of Queen was a green house on one side and a pink house on the north side. By the way did you know Vince, owner of Carmen's? I sat at the sign in front of the store many times...Did you know th Judsons??? over on Liberal one house off Queen?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1410
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't the Bottle Tree Lounge in the 7 Mile-Gratiot area? I remember hanging out there around 1976 with some new friends. When did it bite the dust? Was it something else before the Bottle Tree?

BTW Jokerman, we had ruts too in our East Warren-Outer Drive neighborhoods. I remember them well in the late 1970s especially as we always seem to run late for carpool to Wayne State and the ruts slowed us down.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 330
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej72,
Cunningham's wasn't on the SW corner where McDonald's is, but on the NE corner where the strip mall is. The other theater faces 7 mile, first building to the west of Wallgreens. Currently a church, used to be a thrift store for the blind and a Union Co-Op Toy Store. Don't know if it was a TV repair shop.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1314
Posted From: 66.19.18.81
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to spend a lot of time waiting for the 7 Mile bus during the early 70s, either transferring from Gratiot when I went to DLS, or coming from music lessons at Detroit-Wayne Music Studios while at Kathleen's school.

D-W was owned by Emil Moro of the Austin-Moro band above the bike shop between Fordham and the tuxedo place. About half the staff were members of the DSO and the rest were top free-lancers. They also had the best collection of instrumental sheet music in the city.

I was the kid standing near the Kresge's with the french horn case, really fun riding the DSR with one of those.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker,
You mean Eddie's Bike Shop or the old motocycle shop next to Mc Donald's? The tux place was I belive Valente's...was it not? (still abandoned after a brief stint as a day care center)

Ed, Are you sure Cunningham's wasn't where Micky D's is? On the NE corner I rememember it was Jack's 5th Ave Men's Shop, which was a rather old building. May have been something before, but I thought my parents said C-Hams was on the SW corner. Then again, maybe thier memoriy has faded over the years. If so, what was where McDonald's currently stands?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2668
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej72

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fretter Appliance was on the corner of Maddaline and Gratiot,building still abbandoned, abieut looking like someone is making it into something. Across the street from Ned's Firestone, long since torn down. Remember the Singer sewing store a few doors down? What was the name of the bridel shop on the corner of Lappin and Gratiot? Burned down around 1982. Now is home to the furniture store....

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1316
Posted From: 66.19.18.81
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was the bicycle shop, a glass door led up a steep set of rickety stairs to the second floor. The music studio was double width going to the corner of the building.

I just remembered, I think, the name of the small sports shoe store on the east side of Gratiot, south of 7. Salamander's; where I bought my track and soccer shoes. It was the only place that I knew of on the Eastside that sold such things.

I used to buy a lot of hockey gear at Vetere's. It was a sad day when I went there one time and found that it was closed.

Anyone else shop at Bomarito's on 7?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2674
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flamingo Hall

Is this what became of the Flamingo Theater?

Kathleen

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 6:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, yes, Flamingo Hall. Owned by the Guzzardo family whose kids went to Bishop Gallagher in the 1970s. Our Homecoming Dance 1971 was held there, as were numerous school-related bashes, e.g., post-school play celebrations.

Detroiterinspirit
Username: Detroiterinspirit

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 20.142.32.68
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JokerMan, Detroitej72, SteelWorker, and Kathleen - Good to see the area of Copper Canyon represented here. I lived on Edmore (closer to 8 and Kelly) from 75-90 and lived at McGregor playing baseball and football with many friends. I went to McGregor for 5th grade and then went to St. Veronica's for 6-8 and then onto Notre Dame (class of 82). Although it seems you lived a little south of me, I do remember many of the places called out in this thread. My last name is Pencak and some of the families name that I remember are Tasti, Walters, McDonald, Wixom, Shinkowski (sp?), Hofer, Gleason, Kirkland, Court, Glye (sp?), Glosenger (sp?), Champine, Panella, Brown, Michilak (sp?), Sobczak...this is hurting my brain.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 331
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej72,
Don't know what was previously at the McDonald's site, but Cunningham's was definitely on the NE corner.

The_sauce
Username: The_sauce

Post Number: 84
Posted From: 66.147.136.117
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroiterinspirit, you threw out a bunch of names I recognized. I was at ND 75-79 but you were probably there with my brother. I lived on Riad from 61 to 89 with lots of famliy all around.

Jan
Username: Jan

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 141.161.67.67
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jiminnm,

I lived on Pelkey near 8 Mile. One of the Schoenherr buses turned left on State Fair and went up Waltham, I think, to 8 Mile, then 8 Mile back to Schoenherr. The other Schoenherr bus when straight up Schoenherr to 14 Mile.

My favorite things in that Kresge were books (they always had a rack of paperbacks--this is where I found Isaac Asimov, Tolkein and Arthur C. Clark) and I liked the lunch counter. You could get a burger and a pop for a couple of bucks.

Jokerman

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Jude, Class of 64
Notre Dame, Class of 68
Wayne State, Class of 74

It's a shame that Notre Dame is now closed down. I understand that St. Jude is now called East Catholic Elementary School (or something like that).

Anyone remember that Notre Dame played Denby twice in the Goodfellow Game (the city high school football championship, Detroit Public School Champ vs. Catholic School Champ) in 1963 and 1965. The game in 63 was on the evening of November 22, 1963, the day that JFK was assassinated. I remember taking the bus to the game at Tiger Stadium with my mom and my brother. It was a strange feeling going to the game under the cloud of sadness that we all felt about JFK. To make matters worse, Notre Dame lost 7-0.

In 1965, they played again and tied 14-14. They were declared co-champs. These games were pretty cool since it was often friend against friend. The games were also called the "Kelly Road Championship" or the "Battle for Kelly Road"

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Posted From: 68.85.136.144
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to live on SpringGarden between Chalmers and Celestine. I used to walk all the time up to Seven and Gratiot. There used to the Bwana Don's pet shop on Seven Mile which fun to visit.

All the stores that used be there were always busy. The memory is little foggy but there used to be a record store in that area that was a great place to hang out. On the corner of Gratiot and Lappin.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Formerspringardener,

Was the record store Sterio City? Hung out there when it was an arcade many times. Also was a record store that opened a few doors down later in the early 80's, I belive the name was E & M Records & tapes. Used to buy rock buttons and pins there and sell them at school.

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 68.43.105.109
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw a St. Jude's mention, here are a couple of pictures taken earlier this year of the playfield looking at 7 mile and the entrance of the school. jude playfield

Maxcarey

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Schoolschool

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1155
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandparents lived in this neighborhood... both sides. My dad's side was at State Fair and Gratiot and my mom's side was at 7 Mile and Hayes. Paternal grandparents were parishioners at St. Jude. Grandpa had a real estate office (with my great-uncle in his barber shop next door) on Gratiot just south of State Fair.

I remember Mars Radio, the Dog House, the Novara Market, Supreme Drugs, Federal's, Ward's... and all those used-car lots.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 207.69.137.8
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am new to this the entire Detroit Yes forum. Living in VA presently since 91. Colorado 71-91. Detroit 46-71. Enjoy the forum on things that I can relate to and there are numerous ones. Dad worked at Hudson Motors for over 35 years, Guardian Angels and Servite my basic schooling. Could go on here. No one has mentioned THE PURPLE PLUM near Saratoga (I was born there). Love the Thunderboats. Wish I was there this weekend. Give me tips for better postings. Thanx

14509glenfield

Posted From: 207.69.137.8
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it was th PLUM PIT on second thought. "Head Shop" late 60's.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 122
Posted From: 68.42.252.205
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Plum Pit is at 10 and Gratiot, and has been there for about 30 years.

Maxcarey

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glenfield

You may already be aware that Guardian Angels parish celebrated their final mass last month. They requested their closure from the Diocese in March.

The school is now part of the DPS as the Beulah Cain Brewer Elementary School. The convent is still there as well, although now it is St. Jude's Home for Boys. Don't know what they will be doing with the church.

Did Guardian Angels have a High School? If so, where was it located??c

Maxcarey

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

s

Detroitej72

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13,
What was the name of your grandpa's real estate office and barber shop? I remember 2 barbers, Esquire barber shop and Dom & Steve's next door to Frank Wright Glass.

Welcome 14509glenfield to the forum.

14509glenfield

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 207.69.137.9
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I goofed on my first attempt. No high school at GA., but a night time lit dirt/rock/weed practice football field. Graduated for the old church (priest----Kaufmann, Schueler, Petry, yaadiyada in 60). Who went to Dunkerburgers or the Checker-Bar-Bue (Livernois @ 8)

Steelworker

Post Number: 689
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej72 I talked to my mom she said we lived next the Corsetti's our address was 14939. she wondered if you knew the families named, gibbs, mcclean, and Isham.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1156
Posted From: 69.14.251.28
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej72: nice to see that someone remembers the Esquire Barber Shop. That was my Uncle Bill's place. He was there for many years. My brothers and I would get our hair cut there for practically nothing, since we were family. The storefront next door in the same building (which was built by my family in 1957 and torn down for more parking for Saratoga Hospital in the mid-'80s) was originally occupied by my grandfather's business, Boland Real Estate. After my grandfather began working out of an office in his house (circa early '70s), the office space was taken by a hearing aid shop. Taffy's Bar (what was it called before Taffy's?) was in a big two-story building a couple of doors down, on the corner.

There was a vacant lot and then a parking lot on the site for many years, but now there is a new bank building on the site where my family's building once stood.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 81
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13,
I remember the building still had a sign on it that said Boland even after the barber shop was there. Wasn't there also an appliance repair shop in the building also, Able's or something? I can't remember what Taffy's was before but wasn't there an old fabric store next door that later became Kar-Aid?

Detroitej72

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steelworker, did you live on the first block off Hayes? There was Don Corstti who was a son of the parents who lived on the middle block between Queen and Monarch. They lived two doors down from me. Families I knew from your block were the Starks, Manning, Cefonni, Thomas, and Carter.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 332
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building I mentioned earlier in this thread behind Wallgreens, formerly a thrift store for the blind, formerly a Union Co-Op Toy Warehouse, formerly a movie house is now formerly a building, flattened yesterday by bulldozers and progress.

14509glenfield

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 207.69.137.36
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding the Corsetti conversation around Gratiot and 7 Mile, I worked with Leonard Corsetti at K-Mart Foods (Outer Drive and Sherwood). He lived off of Gratiot (south) on Lappin, Novarro...? Went to Osborn? About 60 now! Do you know how to get a hold of Leonard? Time frame 63-70.

Steelworker

Post Number: 690
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mother informed me the corseti who lived next to us moved out to north of port huron area i think.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 83
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

14509glenfield,
Leonard Corsetti lived on Corum, right across the alley from me. Had a wife named Nancy and I belive 2 boys, one was Mikey. His Brother Don lived down the street from me and his brother Rocco on the next block. Last time I saw Rocco he was still living there and is a Detroit Police officer. No idea how to get in touch with Leonard, sorry.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used switchboard.com quite a bit for tracking down classmates for our high school reunion. If the person has a listed phone number, they're in the database. And the more unique the name, the better chance of hitting paydirt!!

Out of curiousity (the librarian in me!), I checked switchboard.com and found that there is one Leonard Corsetti living in the metro area; he's in Clinton Township. There's also a Rocco Corsetti living in Rochester Hills. And a Donald Corsetti living in Fort Gratiot, not far from Port Huron.

If you're really serious about tracking down the Corsettis, check out switchboard.com and make a phone call or two!!!

Steelworker

Post Number: 691
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mom says she thinks she baby sat some dimarcos boys. She looked the addy up on mapquest said you live a little down the same block as us. We were middle block on the north side. We had a range of ages because our house was a two family and was full of aunts and cousins and such.

Maxcarey

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Using Zabasearch.com, I can confirm Kathleen's research about a Leonard Corsetti living in Clinton Township. You can use this site to cross reference if you wish.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 85
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steelworker,
My best friend accross the street from me was named Joey Dimarco. Had 2 older brothers named Lenny and Paul. Have to ask, what is your age? I am 34 and moved off Novara in the summer of 1989 although my uncle lived in my old house until 1994.

Steelworker

Post Number: 693
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im 27, my uncle(30) another uncle is 36 who lived there the whole time till my grandma sold the two family house(Danny, Mike Martin). My mom might have babysat your best friend. She is 44 oldest of her sisters. I think they sold the house in 1990. Mom said we had big yard with white picket fence(some things i forgot about the house). Humm

Steelworker

Post Number: 694
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My uncle dan said he made out with jennifer stark(his first kiss)hehehe. They knew mannings as well, and dan still knows one of the mannings. Do you know nestico, or gerelle.

Dday

Post Number: 840
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Maybe it was th PLUM PIT on second thought. "Head Shop" late 60's

There was a head shop called The Emporium on the west side of Gratiot.....next to Stereo City, ust north of Lappin. maybe that's what you were referring to?

Eastsideboy
Username: Eastsideboy

Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just joined the forum and looking through some old messages and saw one on 7 mile and Gratiot and reading through them I saw references to Corsetti's on Novara.

That's my family. I'm George and Leonard, Rocco and Don are my brothers. We lived at 14726 from about 1945 till my parents moved in the early 80s. Rocco still lives across the alley on Coram and is a Detroit cop. Don (who later lived on Novara between Queen and Hayes for a long time)is retired and lives north of Port Huron near Lexington. Leonard (who also live on Coram for a time)is a WSU cop and lives up north near Don. And I'm on Courville in Detroit.

I went to St Jude (57')and then to Osborn (61')

7 and Gratiot was a great neighborhood--close to the Gratiot shopping areas (well documented in the above posts)which in the 40s and 50s was a thriving area. I'll bet someone out there remembers Ned's (tires and auto repair) on Madelein and Gratiot where the streetcars turned (not all of them went to 8 mile) and then waited back of the store till then returned downtown. And Eastwood park on 8 mile and Gratiot with the wooden roller coaster....? Drag racing on 8 mile in the 50s and 60s???