Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » ::: Moving to Detroit - Where Should I Live? ::: » Seeking advice on cheap and safe places to live in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ghostride
Username: Ghostride

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone,

I am relocating for a job to Detroit. I'd like to live in the city, despite people (even at the company) telling me it's better to just move to the suburbs. I am a big city guy and I really want to live in Detroit, but I know you have to be careful of where you move to.

I will not be making much my first year here so rent in the $600 range is about as high as I can go. Also, getting a roommate isn't something I am interested in at this point either. (Maybe down the line...)

I would greatly prefer a building that offers off-street parking and controlled access / doorman / security.

Is this possible to get within my budget?

I've been looking online at a ton of places for about 8 hours today, but since I do not know the area, it is extremely hard to judge how clean and safe a neighboorhood or building is from just online ads.

I figured on a forum like this, I can get better reccomendations from people who actually LIVE or HAVE LIVED in some of these apartments/lofts, or at least have friends who have, and can give a more informed opinion on what particular buildings I should be looking in to.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-gr

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3923
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It might help if you gave us an approximation of where you worked. Sometimes just having that info could help us help you.

Ghostride

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, sorry, I will be working in an office building on Woodward Avenue near Comerica Park. I don't really need to live in that particular neighboorhood, I would be happy with a 5-10 min drive. From what I have been told so far, most any "livable" neighboorhood in Detroit will be within 10 minutes of my building so any suggestions would probably work. Thanks,

-gr

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 246
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lafayette Towers might just fit the bill. It is a 10 minute WALK (it might take you longer to drive) in a great neighborhood just on the edge of downtown. It is literally in a park, and has been described as an "urban oasis." They have I believe 24 doorman, and guarded secured parking. Plus one of if not the best neighborhood in Detroit. They have a pool in the summer. Designed by world famous architect Mies Van der Rohe. And it's in a designated historic district.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060924/BUS INESS04/609240526/1017

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

600 bucks a month---Hamtramck---clean, convenient, and safe for the most part

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2620
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corktown/Mexicantown; safe, walk to local businesses, a short bike ride (or a 15 min walk) to your job.

Ghostride

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey thanks, I will check in to Lafyette Towers. I think I already came across that on apartmentratings.com and there were mixed reviews. I will definitely take a closer look.

Did you guys have any specific building recommendations for the hamtramck, corktown, and mexicantown neighborhoods?

One place I did find online that looks absolutely spectacular was called Millender Center. Way out of my price range though, but a 2 bedroom split with a roommate wouldn't be. Once I get to the company and make friends in the city I may be looking at this. Seems like the kind of place that goes for $5k/month+ in nyc!

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 167
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lafayette towers is a good idea.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 774
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah I second lafayette towers or pavillion same company owns it but seperate rental people. Hamtramck is good but you wouldnt have a door man or security its would be a flat or house most likely. You can find others in midtown in the 600 hundred range and much less. But for doorman and security you will have that at lafayette park area (towers and pavillion), gated parking isnt that expensive rent for studio is around 515 to 550

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 179
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny I was looking for the same thing online last week even though im not moving. Here are some of the ones near downtown that are relatively cheap and relatively close, im also guessing they are relatively nice too but youll have to check them out. There are others listed at www.modelmedia.com or www.rentnet.com

EAST RIVERSIDE:

River Park Lofts
227 Iron St
On Iron, half block south of E Jefferson

313-223-1500 or 313-566-5333

Price: $480-$2,100 a month (includes water and electric)
Square footage: 800-3,500 square feet
Availability: 70 units

In Corktown:
Brooklyn Park Lofts
2233 Brooklyn Street
North of Michigan Ave

313-223-1500

500 - 2,500 sq.ft.

$600 - $1,500 / month

Michigan Avenue Lofts
1416-1438 W. Elizabeth Street
East of Trumbull

313-846-5090

850 - 1,850 sq.ft.

$750 - $1,100 / month
Neighborhoods: Corktown

IN DOWNTOWN:

76 W. Adams Avenue
In Grand Circus Park between Woodward & Park

313-963-7676
www.kales76.com

Pricing: $735-$1685

Availability: 15%

Company: Kales / Mansur Real Estate

Greektown Lofts
743 Beaubien
Corner of Fort E and Beaubien

313-223-1500

Price: $700-$1,200 a month, includes heat and water
Square footage: 600-2,300 square feet
Availability: 50 units

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 287
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How bout a loft around New Center area, easy access to all Suburbs and downtown, Shopping, personal business, (such as banks and human services), good health care coverage, and night life such as bars and restaurants, but not living in actual downtown.

Thegse
Username: Thegse

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stroh RiverPlace fits the bill for you. No Doorman, but you need a key to get in the building. There is 24hr. patrol cars and security in the parking garage. 1 block from the river. Access to the Omni fitness center with indoor pool. Safe, clean neighborhood. Walking distance to the RenCen,Harbortown Market ( a little pricey but good in a pinch) a blues/jazz club, a brewery, a non smoking bar, an old school irish pub with shuttles to every sporting event downtown and the Rattlesnake Club. Oh, and there is a staples. Also, next to chene and tricentennial state park. Really a small community inside of the D. Normally those of us in the neighborhood dont talk about it because we all feel its our little secret but i have to move soon so there it is:-) GL

Brandonhgt
Username: Brandonhgt

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in the Kales, the lowest rent as of 6 months ago was $850, despite what they had as the listed price. The kales is a great place to live, very secure, you need a keycard to go anywhere, and there is a tunnel from the parking lot to the building.

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 262
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Belcrest (historic highrise with parking) sounds like a potential fit. It's by Wayne State.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 279
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as long as you dont miss the old steam heat they used to have. the current electric heaters they installed i hear only do well on the 7th floor and up

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 844
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are alot of good places in midtown by WSU. I know you can get a studio for 450

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 678
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're willing to up your monthly nut to about $750, I currently have a very nice vintage two bedroom flat in the cabbage patch of Grosse Pointe Park available to rent. Off street parking, very safe. Technically, it's the 'burbs, but its a century old, dense, walkable neighborhood with taverns, coffee shops, restaurants & market all within a block or two. About a 10 minute drive to downtown.

If you're interested shoot me an email at:
rrl1966 at hotmail dot com

Best of luck, welcome to the D and the forum.

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 191
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detroitmidtown.com/05/m idtown.php

Lots of rental housing. Midtown is a good area for walking to things. You could even walk to work on a nice day (1 mile away)otherwise ride your bike.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ghost- I live across the street from the Pavillion. There is security in the lot and gated parking. From Lafayette park you can walk to Greektown, the people mover, and compuware...my neighbor walks everyday. There is also a small store ground level in the Pavillion.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 630
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Trolley plaza...it can sometimes get a bad rap but I like it a lot. Parking in the building, 24-hour front desk person, balconies for every apartment and only blocks from comerica. You should be able to get one bedroom for $600 but they have similar set ups to the Millender in that all two bedrooms have two baths and are on opposite sides of the apartment.
It doesn't have granite counters or in-apartment washer/dryer like all the new lofts...it's just your basic 80's apartment building.
if you want to see it or talk to other's in the building email me at jpierce@insidedetroit.org

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't suggest Stroh's River Place.

Try the Pavillion.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 767
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to also recommend the Lafayette Park neighborhood - either the Pavilion or Lafayette Towers. I lived in the Pavilion for a year and the Towers for three. If you want no fuss, comfortable high rise living, Lafayette Park is it. Studios go for around $500/month. One bedrooms are around $650. It will be very convenient for walking to work downtown.

If you want to rent a flat or apartment in a more traditional urban neighborhood I'd recommend West Village (5 min. drive or take the bus down Lafayette) or Corktown (5 min. drive or bike to downtown). Both are interesting diverse old neighborhoods with loft, apartments, and flats for rent that are in your price range.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2627
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ghost,
There are only a couple apt buildings in Corktown/Mexicantown. Most of the rental stock is houses and flats. However, there are a number of rehabbed historic apt. buildings (in Hubbard Farms and further west) that are managed by Southwest Detroit Non-Profit Housing Corp, aka Southwest Solutions. They are currently rehabbing several more. Typically, they are beautiful 1920's apt buildings with recent gut/rehab interiors. They offer a mix of market and subsidized units.
http://demo164.centersite.org/ poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=4 618
Hubbard Farms is a cool area too, off W. Grand Blvd and Vernor. Generally safe area, though there's been a spike in car break-ins lately.

Thegse

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susana....Just curious as to why?

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to suggest Wayne State area too. Lots of apartments at student-friendly prices. I'd be careful about some of those downtown loft buildings though - I had a bad experience at Lafayette Lofts and found out that the management company, Boydell, runs a bunch of them downtown (I know Greektown is one - not sure which other ones they own). Hamtramck's also a good bet if you want a yard and driveway.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because it's like living in a compound. You can't go out for any type of a run or walk without having to step on broken liquor and beer bottles and human excrement, a block in either direction and you're surrounded by mostly abandoned buildings.

It costs your visitors $5 to park after 5pm if they don't want to fight for an off-street spot where you're likely to get the window broken.

The buildings are quiet but the construction vehicles start driving down McDougall around 5am. Your neighbors (or their friends) won't stop partying outside their cars (outside your windows) until 3am. The fire alarm goes off (or gets pulled) all the time. The elevators are broken a lot and when they work you're almost always in danger of getting trapped. If you have a wood beamed ceiling lots of fun stuff will fall from it leaving gross black tar like stuff on your carpet. And if you're on a higher floor you never need to use your heat because everyone has theirs cranked so it's about 115 degrees in your apartment.

The only plus is that I loved my view and They Say is right across the street. I'll miss those guys.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3968
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's urban living, why would you try to discourage anyone from enjoying those experiences?

$5 parking to visit a friend, do you realize what it would cost in Chicago or NYC for that privilege?

I'd print this out but it will cost me $10 more to get a new print cartridge in Detroit instead of the suburbs because I have to buy them at a gas station instead of an office supply which takes me an hour to get to by bus.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 252
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love living at Lafayette Towers. Great view, great price and great people. Convenient, safe and I can walk to my office downtown.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, if you would go up and read my original post you could see that I told the original poster to try the Pavillion instead.

That response was to Thegse who asked why I wouldn't suggest River Place. Those are my reasons, like 'em or not.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh and there's a Staples on the corner if you need a new ink cartridge.

Jams

Post Number: 3969
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I caught that, sorry, you missed my sarcasm.

I've been here many years, it's not nirvana.

Jams

Post Number: 3970
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Staples is finally open? Wonderful! Despite its lack of Urban design (Like I care), I'm thrilled to be able to get office supplies without wasting three or four hours on buses to the suburbs.

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the Fyfe building. Call them at (313) 963-2018 to check it out. You could *walk* to work. The building is on the corner of Woodward and Adams. Here is what it looks like:

http://static.flickr.com/35/72 453606_25dcf8c12c_b.jpg

Dtown1

Post Number: 294
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, the closest one to the city instead of spending three or fours on the bus was and is still on MAck and Cadieux. Depending on where you live and the congestion, it only takes one or two hours from downtown on the Mack bus.

Jams

Post Number: 3971
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee whilikers, only an hour or two?

I understand why susanarosa missed my sarcasm. People actually think some of this stuff is serious.

In my 30 some years living in this City, I might have learned a few things.

Dtown1

Post Number: 297
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Truly, if you own a car and can drive in the city, it only takes around 30 minutes to get to and from downtown from all inner ring suburbs, at least on average. If your on the bus, bout 45 roughly from the inner ring suburbs into downtown, even with congestion.

Jams

Post Number: 3973
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtown1
Rather than play a silly game. Understand, I spent over 25 years of my life as a location photographer. While I live in Detroit proper, I made my living anywhere between Pt Huron to Jackson, Flint to Monroe.

I'm quite aware of the time it takes to get anywhere from one point in the region to another.

My choice, a few years ago, to not replace a personal vehicle has taught me to be without one is extremely difficult and requires a great deal of planning for the simplest of errands.

Thegse

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh. That's weird. I've never had problems with the elevators. Also, the traxh issue is not as bas as you say. I dont know how many places have A guy constantly sweeping the streets areound the buildings. And when i walk my dog the only time the trash is bad is after a chene park show. As far as parking goes, there really was only the 3 weeks 2 summers ago when the Circus was here that smash and grabs were in any way common. Maybe you were in a bad spot but having neighbors in a city will lead to noise when you dont want it, its not like living on a farm.
For the record I don't work for riverplace in fact I dont even live there. I lived in one of those abandonded buildings a couple blocks away for 4+ years and love it. Which is weird that you say that to begin with because to the east is the UAW HR complex and then harbortown, right? Anyways, different strokes for different folks I guess. Not trying ot argue with you just giving my .02

Thegse

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I feel bad doing my part to hijack this thread, so I ll start a new one for you to respond if you want to.

Dtown1

Post Number: 300
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AND YOU JAMS, I NEVER SAID I WAS SPEAKING DIRECTLY TO YOU. SO DONT TALK DOWN TO ME. I WAS ACTUALLY TALKING TO GHOSTRIDE BECAUSE HES INTERESTED IN KNOWING THE HOUSING AND THE COMMUTE TIME FRON THERE INTO DWONTWON, SO YOU BETTER NOT GET ME STARTED EITHER. I DONT CARE IT YOU COMMUTED FROM THE EAST SIDE OF THE HIMALAYAS WITHOUT A CAR, I WASNT TALKING TO YOU.

Jams

Post Number: 3975
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chill, sorry!

I responded to;

"Jams, the closest one to the city instead of spending three or fours on the bus was and is still on MAck and Cadieux."

I guess I missed who you were directing the statement toward.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5106
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want a cheap and safe place in Detroit. Try Brush Park.

Dtown1

Post Number: 304
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was trying to say the commute time to everyone, however, the Staples remark was meant especially for you.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 124
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not necessarily "urban excitement", but Woodbridge Estates is offering brand new townhouse apartments. The only problem is I think they are so popular that there is an extensive waiting list. They are nice and very affordable. I think 1 bedrooms from around $500/mo.

Woodbridge (Estates) is the first neighborhood west of the southern part of Midtown.

*EDIT* Ok, nevermind, upon further research, 1 bedrooms start above $700/mo
http://woodbridgeestates.com/i ndex.cfm?method=RentalInformat ion

Urbanvaquero
Username: Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 347
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My rent is cheap, the floors are hardwood, the kitchen countertops and cupboards are brand-spanking new, and I have a view of Comerica Park and downtown.

And the landlord will change a fuse at three in the morning if you blow one.

And you'd only have three short blocks to walk to work, if your car gives out in a snowstorm. And you'd have an extra couple hundred to spend on fun, food, and folks-like-me in the D!

--brenda

(Message edited by urbanvaquero on October 23, 2006)

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanvaquero--and what building are you recommending so glowingly?

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2630
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and has your landlord heard about those newfangled things called circuit breakers?

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

"And the landlord will change a fuse at three in the morning if you blow one".

I used to be a landlord, I did a lot more than change fuses and I never got "serviced". Where is this building, I might want to buy it.

Dtown1

Post Number: 315
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like the Kales Building, maybe.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 231
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i currently live in a t-h-r-e-e room studio (living/bed + nice kitchen and workable bath) in midtown across from old main... (includes two walk in closets)... rent (with FREE heat and water) is $400. Singles which are substantially bigger are between 5&6 hundred... if your interested, email me: andylinn (at) gmail (dot) com and i can give you the managers phone #. I like it alot... maintenance is a little slow sometimes, but gets done. Manager / Owner are nice and flexable. Tenants are about 70% students and 30% families / young professionals. Easy walk to numerous coffee shops, avalon bakery, three record stores, and 7 bars, Magic Stick, at least four grocery stores (of varying quality, but 1 - 3 GOOD ones) at my latest count... etc... quick bike ride to woodbridge, CAID, downtown, Eastern market, Trumbullplex, all the museums... i like it down here... you can email me for more advice... check out detroitmidtown.com

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: