Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Ootpik's Old /Detroit Photos - Where Is This? » Old Photo III - Where Is This? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to all who helped identify the previous photo!

Where Is This?

The street sign above the two boys reads "Moross" but is the photo from Detroit or Grosse Pointe?

For a larger version of the photo, please click here:

http://www.geocities.com/enginebarn/detpic7b.jpg

Ookpik

(Message edited by ookpik on January 26, 2007)

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2972
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're standing on the southwest corner of Mack & Morosss, looking north up Mack AVenue.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...but is the photo from Detroit or Grosse Pointe?

Without a doubt, Detroit. No grocery carts were allowed to be parked on the sidewalk in front of a fire hydrant in Grosse Point.

Ookpik

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that didn't take long! Thanks Mike! :-)

Ookpik

Mikem

Post Number: 2973
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome. I grew up nearby so that made it easy.

I don't know cars at all, so I couldn't date the picture, but I remember those wooden street light poles being removed around 1968-1969 and replaced with metal poles in the center median.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3696
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike you never cease to amaze me...

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are the MAN Mikem!

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So that drug store across moross is where that little strip mall is today? All those signs on the far upper right corner is where the gas station is today (BP?). This photo was taken standing in front of what would be the Kinkos front door on Mack today?

Holy crap does it look different today. Looked so quaint and quiet back then. That is a pretty busy intersection today.

Jerome81

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, I wrote "today" a lot in my previous post :-)

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good show Mikem! If you were at the NW corner of Anita and Mack in the 50's, what building would you be photographing? I think that's presently the hardware store's parking lot but not back then!

Mikem

Post Number: 2974
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, I'd be in front of old city hall.

Jerome, at least you didn't write "man" a lot; "Holy crap, man, does it look different today, man!"

Yes, you would be in front of Kinko's, which used to be a Cunningham's? I think a dry cleaner has been built next to the building with the painted advertising on the side. The gas station would be out of view to the right.

I swear that Kinsel's became a bar, or maybe there was a bar off to the left. And those are the kind of winters I remember. Snow and slush continuously from Thanksgiving Day to St Patrick's Day.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 588
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem: You are truly one of the best on DetroitYes, along with Hornwrecker, Bob_Cosgrove and a select few others.

That Moross/Mack intersection is indeed a way more congested intersections around. I am always nervous when heading north on Mack and turning left onto Moross at the light. The hospital there is also in an expansion mode lately.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is correct about the Dry Cleaners was built next to where all of those signs are. I wonder if those signs are still on the building hidden from view? That party store is Mr A's now. I remember the store across the street as Cunninghams, and later it became Perrys if I remember correctly. The Woolworths was behind that store. When they tore down the Woolworths there was an old fridge in the basement workers room. When I saw it they were starting to fill in the hole. I sometimes wonder when I am driving over it, if that old fridge is still down there or of they did yank it out. I took a bunch of black and white pictures of 7 & Mack being torn down, I will have to keep an eye out for them. In this photo, the bank entrance is still in the same spot. Where the BP station is, their use to be a night club in the old days. I have a postcard of the interior.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 222
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you notice on the upper right of the pic is the MACK 7 diner sign, which is still there today. Also in the median the sign for National Bank of Detroit. I know at the end Kinsels was an Arbor Drug store as I worked there. we shared the basement with what was the shoe store. Behind or North of Kinsels was Woolworths and the & Mack shopping Center.

Ookpik

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was there a bar next to Kinsel's?

Yes, there was! It was the Woods Lounge. I already knew what this picture was because I recognized St.
John hospital.

A Trip Down Moross

A larger view:

http://www.geocities.com/enginebarn/detpic1.jpg

Ookpik

Mikem

Post Number: 2975
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ookpik! I thought my memory was failing me. Also notice St John Hospital is getting a two-story addition. That was also around 1968-1969.

The_rock

Post Number: 1515
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right you are ( again) Mikem. Old city hall . That's when it was GP Woods, and not to be confused with the Woods' former name, City of Lochmoor,whose City Hall, I think, occupied the same location, perhaps the same building.
I will have jjaba send you a prize.

I don't remember a Cunninghams being where Kinko's is now. I do recall when there was a discount drug store ( part of a chain--Revco, I believe)) being there, and there later was a Cuuningham's where the Kinsels Drugs is shown in the photograph. During the paper strike in '63, we had to stand in line in front of Cunninghams to await delivery of the New York Times.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 464
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kinsel's became Cunninghams, which became Arbor Drugs, before it was torn down for the current Mack/ Morross Center. Kinko's used to be Revco, right across the street from Sear's.

Also, anyone remember J.C. Penny's at 7-Mack Center with Woolworth, Kressqe's, Woods Theater, and Gabby's Restaurant?

Side note: as a kid, in the 70's, it seemed St. John's was constantly expanding- is it true or is the old mind forgetting?

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 172
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Rock is right -- Revco is where Kinko's is; the Kinsels became a Cunningham's.

Harsensis

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since you are doing Woods Trivia Rock, do you know what Ahee's on Mack was originally? Ookpik, do you have any more of these great pics to share? They are great, I love seeing the 60's views since these were just before my time. I never knew there was an A&P next to the power sub station. I only remember it being a parking lot for the St Johns doctors. All of their fancy cars were always in that lot. Also the Golden Lion use to be across the street from there. Also, if Arbor was in the Cunningham's building, was the Perrys where the Kinkos is now? That corner has changed so much over the years, it is hard to keep track. I also remember watching the Woolworth store burn when some kid lit a smoke bomb in there and a carpet went up.

Harsensis

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St John's was constantly expanding, and they still are. Was the Gabby's Restaurant where AAA is now? I remember a restaurant being there when I was a kid. We also use to go to Sanders and Michelangelos Deep Dish Pizza there. The pizza place was right about where Buddys is today. I miss being able to park in the front or back and walk through the stores. 7 and Mack center was a neat place.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 466
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harsenis, from one eastsider to another, Wallgreen is now where Golden Lion was. Revco briefly was Perry's before they built the new location across Morross in Pointe Plaza.

BTW, I never realised A&P had a locale thier either.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 467
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was the Gabby's Restaurant where AAA is now?

Yes, it was torn down sometime in the early 80's.
______________________________ ___________________
I miss being able to park in the front or back and walk through the stores. 7 and Mack center was a neat place.

Me Too, Harsensis, it was a cool place where I felt I was "shopping with the rich folks"!

From where I grew up at 7 Mile/ Gratiot, this shopping center was 'rich folk' all the way!

Harsensis

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From your name, were you born in 72? I was born in 69, so if that is the case we have pretty similar memories of the area. When my mom lived in GP, Mack was a two lane road and there were only two houses on Prestwick, and they were just building the third.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 469
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harsensis, I was in fact born in 72. I would like to chat further about this topic. I am attempting to put together a history book about Detroit's East Side. I would like to talk with anyone who has stories from eastside Detroit, all the way to Grosse Pointe, including Harper Woods.

Thanks in advance, Detroitej72

Please email me @ ejdetroit@hotmail.com

The_rock

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that Ahee's Jewelry used to be the home of the Walker Plymouth/DeSoto dealership. You can spend as much today on a diamond setting as you could back then for a Plymouth Fury.

Although we all did some shopping at the old 7 and Mack shopping center, it kinda got run down and the parking lot always seemed littered. But they did have an interesting collection of stores.
A friend of mine managed the old Michelangelos Deep Dish Pizza. It did not last too long as good as it was, the reason according to the manager was that it took too long to make the deep dish servings, and customers did not like the wait.
Along that stretch of Mack Avenue is Merit Woods Drug store. I am sure you know its location. For over 40 years, Sheldon Weisberg drives over from the west side and opens his store for all his loyal customers. He is just a prince of a man, loved by us all. Surrounded by big name drug stores, CSV, Walgreens, St. John Pharmacy etc. But Sheldon still stays afloat, not stifeled by the big guys. His personal service is the best. My favorite place along Mack Avenue.
Tell me, Harsenis, is there a relationship between you and Harsen's Island? Plenty of history up there! San Souci here we come. Time for a thread.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1876
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I missed seeing this East Side thread last evening!!!

We used to shop at this A&P Store every Thursday evening. My sister and I still recall Mary Ann and Peggy, sister cashiers that were always coiffed and made up as pretty as models!!!

We also shopped at the Revco. And we banked at the Detroit Bank and Trust a block away at Mack and Hillcrest. There was a jewelry store on the other corner at Hillcrest...maybe Woods Jewelers?

I remember the J.C. Penney store on the extreme north side of the Mack-7 Shopping Center. I remember the Kresge and Woolworth stores. And a Lerner's as well.

Wasn't there a Sears store at the southeast corner of this intersection? With the Hughes & Hatcher next to it?

Thanks, ookpik!! You can be sure that I will be showing these photos to my family!!!

(Message edited by Kathleen on January 27, 2007)

The_rock

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really miss that old Sears store. It was SO convenient, courteous personnel, not very big, but they had enough stock to save me a trip over to the Montgomery Ward Store at 7 and Gratiot or the big Sears at Gratiot and (Mt. Elliott?)
During the riots in 1967, one of my reactionary GP neighbors came by in his fancy Cadillac with a baseball bat in the right front seat, exclaiming that "they are burning down the Sears store at 7 and Mack", and he was going down to look.
I told him to "relax," but if he happened to go into the store,to check out the prices on the new Craftsman mowers, and bring me back a sack of their fresh popped popcorn.
And that HughesHatcher store next door that Kathleen mentioned had a teriffic blue cord summer suit for only $50.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are a couple of photos of the 7 Mack shopping center from the WSU Virtual Motor City site:

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3503
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the trip down memory lane folks. I used to hang out with my friends at the 7/Mack shopping center as a kid, and go to the Woods Theatre back when it was a single 2,500 seat theatre (all on the main floor).

The restaurant where AAA is located originally was called BLAZO'S.

The other supermarket in the 7/Mack center (out of camera view) was Wrigley's.

And interestingly enough, the expansion of St. John Hospital from 4 to 6 stories had an interesting twist. While the main tower was bricked up, the square tower on the right side of that pic has NEVER been bricked up. IIRC, the foundations of that wing were deemed to not be able to support that much added weight. So even today, that tower has no bricks on it, just the visible glazed panels.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1880
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Hornwrecker, for the 7-Mack photos. The memories are flooding back!!!

I can see both the Lerner's store that I mentioned plus the Winkelman's store next to Kresge's. I knew there was another women's clothing store there!!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2362
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I like Mack-Moross pre-Pointe Plaza. I wonder what the narrow strip between Mack and the CC of Detroit in the upper right corner contained at that time. Currently it is a stretch of aimlessly meandering streets with 1950-60s houses along the GPW/Farms boundary.

Mikem

Post Number: 2977
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those houses were all there before the shopping center. The Woods Theater and maybe Kinsel's were the first businesses in that strip. Then came the hospital, then the shopping center.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4781
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great memories from the Eastside. Do all Eastsiders know each other? Sounds like it.
MikeM is a jewel, eh.

Can't be Grosse Pointe picture. No Rock w/o socks and no fish flies. Pure Detroit. Great photo.

Nice to see the familiar so far on the other side of town.
jjaba, Westsider.

Harsensis

Post Number: 144
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good job on the Ahee's store Rock. They have a picture of it as the dealership outside of the Woods Court that I saw when I was doing jury duty. I started Harsensis as my aol name, then used it for ebay, now it's my online name for most everything. We have a place on the island just up river from San Souci right on the shipping channel. My Grandfather bought it since he use to work on the ships as a teen and always loved them. Our spot is one of the closest places to see the boats.

The restaurant where AAA is located originally was called BLAZO'S.

That place had two names, first it was Gabbys, then it was Blazo's. Finally it was leveled and that nice looking AAA building was built there. I liked the restaurant there better and AAA just doesn't look as nice. I also remember Lums being at 7 & Mack Center and when I was in middle school we use to spend te summer finding ways to sneak into the Woods Theater to catch a movie in air conditioning. Sometimes you could get the doors open from the outside and other times we would send in somebody to "use the bathroom" and they would run down push open the door and then swing around to the outside to be let in. We only got caught a few times. I also miss that narrow alley between JC Penny's and the theater.

Tarkus

Post Number: 225
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the blind fellow that stood against the pole at Kresges. He was if I remember correctly selling pencils. He was a nice guy if you talked to him. I don't know why I remember that.

Gistok

Post Number: 3505
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harsensis, there were 2 "spaces" that herald back to those olden days... one was the walkway between the Woods Theatre and the parking lot (that you referred to), and the other memorable space was between the Lerner Shops and the Lerner display cases. I used to make honking noises there as a kid because of the echo.

The only remaining part of that center is the Edison Sub-station, maybe parts of Wrigley's Super Market, and one of the stores fronting the Woods Theatre. And the MACK/7 restaurant is still across the street.

Also there was the demise of Sears and Hughes Hatcher stores kiddie-corner from there.

That currently empty location has to be the most prime large piece of real estate in all the Pointes.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 174
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did 7 Mack become Pointe plaza? I swear I remember going to Woolworth and JC Penny. Also we were poor and that Sears was were we bought everything because everything was "surplus".
I work in a salon on Mack that was once the Catholic Services building.
Great pictures !
Recently I drove thru my old eastside neighborhood and saw the corner of Whittier and Harper looks nothing like it used to when I went to St. Matthew. What used to be an overflow lot is now a strip mall.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2018
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The rock, the big Sears you talk about was at Gratiot and Van Dyke. My mother and I would shop there and on the walk home we would stop in the Top Hat restaurant on the southwest corner of Gratiot and Van Dyke. I loved the fish sandwich and the counter juke boxes.

Gistok

Post Number: 3508
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imperfectly... I a guessing here, but I want to say circa mid 1990's for Pointe Plaza.

Also, yes that stretch of Harper looks nothing like it did back then. At least it's not blighted, like much of Harper east of Berkshire is.

I remember Jim Causley Pontiac at Harper & Bishop. I remember the Vogue Theatre was located at Harper and Grayton. And I remember Earl's Bike Shop (1960's) was located at the SW corner of Harper and Audobon. That's what got me into the wonderful world of LEGO! :-)

It's funny how the retail district on Harper has changed so much, while the neighborhoods have remained intact and unchanged.... but of course it's East English Village, such a nice neighborhood should remain unchanged!

Gistok

Post Number: 3509
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, I remember that Sears store on my way downtown on the "Cadillac Express" bus in the 1970's when I was working at Baker's Shoes (and would go to Hudson's on my lunch hour). There was a printing plant near the Sears called "Saffron Printing" that I remember also.

Imperfectly

Post Number: 176
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also on Harper there was a diner called Corfu or something like that ...it had the best breakfast EVER!!!!

The_rock

Post Number: 1519
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce--Thanks for the correction. Gratiot and Van Dyke. I still have an old monkey wrench purchased from that store.
I really should have remembered that location. One of the first "assignments" I got stuck with by Judge Szymanski in the old Recorder's Court was to represent a 17 year old who grabbed a purse from a Sears' shopper and tossed it in one of the the dumpsters behind the store. No credit card search back then, he was just looking for what he told me was "spending jack".

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5447
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old Detroit neighborhoods with good ole' mom and pop stores and beautiful homes. Now most of it is a black ghetto.

Harsensis

Post Number: 149
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So does that mean that the blue star at the top of St Johns has been there since the late 60's? When I moved back to the Farms from the Woods, that was one thing I enjoyed seeing again.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4785
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saffron Printing was a huge shop run by a Jewish family. Are they still there? jjaba had heard of them over the dinner table but never knew where they were located since we didn't dare go on the Eastside.

jjaba, Westside Torah Bukkor.

Gistok

Post Number: 3521
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, while I was growing up in the 60's and 70's, our next door neighbor on Marseilles St. was Jewish (an east side rarity) :-), and he loved to talk about Saffron Printing (where he worked) on Gratiot. The printing plant is gone now, and I don't know anything else about the company.

(Message edited by Gistok on January 29, 2007)

Jerome81

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 & Mack: Did 7 mile used to extend to mack way back when? Doesn't even come close today.

Sorry for not knowing. Feel like it is a dumb question.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

people call moross 7 mile

Carm
Username: Carm

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Long time lurker, first time poster. My husband grew up on Prestwick in the 7 and Mack area. He really enjoyed looking at the pictures. He also use to manage the Papa Ramano's Pizza next to the Kinko's. As for me, I remember selling girl scout cookies at the J.C. Pennys in the 80's. I am also at St. Matthew's alumni, class of '88, and went to Corfu's quite a few times.

Imperfectly

Post Number: 179
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Carm ! We absolutely must have crossed paths at some time at St. Matthew. I only keep in touch with one person from school. Ended up at East Detroit HS when my family moved in 89. Mmmmm the waffles at Corfu seemed magnificent...maybe thats just childhood nostalgia.

Carm

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Imperfectly. I am sure we probably did cross paths. I lost touch with everyone. Remember Mass every Wensday in 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade, than Fridays in 6th,7th, and 8th? How about the 3rd grade plays with Mrs. Fazzio and Mrs. Leamini?
I lived over on Nottingham off Birkshire.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4788
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As jjaba has pointed out before, Jews are all over Detroit. Jews work everywhere ofcourse and when dating girls in high school, they would show jjaba where their parents made a living. For example, jjaba's dad worked at 2460 E. Grand Blvd. in the envepope factory and mother worked for Highland Bolt, 18 Victor St. in Highland Park.

Jews had stores everywhere and were integral to the lives of people wherever. In some areas, they lived with enough families for a synagogue to be formed like in Delray or Michigan-Junction. There were always enough Jews downtown for services at Downtown Synagogue or others closeby.

With an early history on the inner Eastside, some Jews moved up John R to Six Mile Rd. & some obviously trickled East where gistok lived.

Carm, welcome to Forum. Share your stories, and learn from others.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Brucek1958
Username: Brucek1958

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re Blazo's/Gabby's - If I remember correctly, after Blazo's it became Landmark and then Gabby's. Also, I remember my father saying there used to be a Vic Tanny's at this site that burned down. My earliest memory of this site was a vacant lot.

Tarkus

Post Number: 232
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carm, who is your husband? I worked at Papa Romanos when they first opened. I seem to have been to far ahead of you at St. Matts. but I do remember going to mass on Wed. Remember Mr. Schulte at St. Matts, best darn teacher I ever had. How about playing floor hockey with Mr. Lebryk in gym class. And welcome to the forum.

Carm

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tarkus, his name is Jim. He started there in maybe 1993 or 94. He had really long hair, still does actually. I remember Mr. Schulte, I hated him at the time. Plus I hated math, but he really was a good teacher. I like playing floor hockey in Mr.Lebryk's gym class. Mrs. Moore from kindergarten goes to the bank my mom works at, so she sees her every once in a while. I would love to go thru the old school just one more time. I can't believe it has been 19 years.

Mikem

Post Number: 2984
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blazo's had a fire in the mid-1970s which closed it for a while...not sure if it ever re-opened under that name.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2293
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did the name Blazo's have anything to do with the fire?

Mikem

Post Number: 2987
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it was a hot spot...

Blazo's

Wkl
Username: Wkl

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah Blazo's - you could get a 5 scoop hot fudge sunday there.

Imperfectly

Post Number: 181
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carm, I lived on Mckinney between Courville and Whittier. I had Ms.Sinacori for the first grade, and now her sister is a client of mine !!!! Mr.Shulte was mean !!!!! So was Miss Harmon and Sr. Gerry. I have been in the Church once since leaving...a few years ago, it was still very beautiful inside !

Wkl
Username: Wkl

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK - Let's pile on Mr. Shulte a little more. Both myself and my 3 younger sisters had him for math. None of us had a clue what he was talking about. My mother (who knew him professionally - she taught the same grades at a couple of other Catholic schools) told me recently that he was really a great teacher for gifted kids. Now, I've been called a lot of things in my life, but I don't believe I've ever been called gifted. Any way a couple of weeks of algebra at DLS cleared that up.

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had last heard that Mr.Schulte was very ill. I believe he still lives in the Star of the Sea area. I always wanted to steal that stupid chalk holder. Do you remember that?
I still see Mrs. Fazio and Mrs. Moore on a regular basis. They both have not changed one bit.

Carm

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sorry to hear Mr. Schulte is ill. I do remember that chalk holder. What is Mrs. Fazio up too? I believe Mrs. Moore is teaching at St. Lawrence.

Imperfectly

Post Number: 192
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that Ms Leamini teaches at Star of the Sea. I work in GPW and one of the ladies I work with has kids there.

Carm

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked up the website for Star of the Sea and indeed, Mrs. Liamini does teach there. I use to see her sometimes at the Farmer Jack at 9 Mile and Mack when I still lived at home, so that would have been in the early to mid 90's.

edit for spelling

(Message edited by Carm on February 03, 2007)

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Mack-7 Shopping Center well! We used to spend our time there when we weren’t at Balduck Park. I think I went into every establishment in the center. Next to the A&P (going toward GPF) were a couple of small shops: a shoe cobbler where we were sent to get our Sunday/school shoes resoled. There were a couple of Italian guys in there who I got to know all too well. Later this place became a "head shop" where one could buy all kinds of groovy stuff like an Iron Cross necklace. And I will never forget the time when I was about 4 years old. My mom and aunt took me to Kinsel for a float. When we left my aunt went to get her red convertible t-bird to pick mom and I up at the curb. When she pulled up (right by that light pole in the photo) I was momentarily left alone as I didn’t see my mom go to open the passenger door for us to get in. In an instant I thought they had forgotten me there, alone on a busy corner. I became over whelmed with a rush of fear and was about to cry when mom came from behind me and led me by my trembling hand to the car. I can’t tell you how relieved I was ridding in the back seat as those two sisters talking all the way home. And around the corner, on Mack, were a couple of shoe stores: Red Cross Shoes and Buster Brown. In addition to the A&P supermarket, there was also a Wrilliges Super market where we would steal Brocks candy from. Mack 7 restaurant was owned by George "The Greek" until he sold it a few years ago. He lived in GPW and always walked to work (I’ve seen him once since his retirement).One of a kind, George, a real character! We use to pick his rubbish, and one day he asked us if we could remove an old freezer from the basement. "Sure" we said! We went thru the back door and down the narrow flight of creaky wooden steps. That SOB musta weighed 500 pounds, but we liked George and hauled it out of there. He gave us twenty bucks for our trouble, and latter I scrapper out a hundred pound chunk of copper from the condenser! Revco was where this photo was taken from. We were dispatched there by dad to pick up his scripts. Waiting in line was tempered by the sight of old people with oxygen tanks and the racks with hernia belts and greeting cards. They had a weight and fortune machine there, or was it in SS Kresgee? I know Kresgee had a photo booth. Anyone still have there’s? (Please post). There was a couple of those penny a ride horses there too, one at Kresgee, and one at Wollworth. The light poles in the parking lot had these wind driven advertisement signs, and when the snow was piled high enough, we would climb inside them for a ride, our fingers inches from the greasy bearings. During the 67 riots national guardsmen were posted on the roof of Penny's. (I think it was a Vic Tanny at one time, later to burn.) Remember the "Bottomless Pit?" This was a short lived head shop too, with lots of cool posters and such. You had to go down a flight of steps to get in. (Anyone care to start a "Head Shop" thread?) Too many memories to post in one sitting...Cya!

(Message edited by Bulletmagnet on February 03, 2007)

(Message edited by Bulletmagnet on February 03, 2007)

The_rock

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George the Greek is George Panourgias, still alive and well and living in GPW. George, the "Mayor of Mack Ave." was a fixture at his restaurant for several years. His son John went to high school with my #2 son and I think Mikem of the Forum was in that same class. John is an atty. in Bloomfield Hills, and George is a proud father and grandfather.

Chalu64

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carm,
Mrs. Fazio still lives in the area. Don't know if she is retired or not, I believe she is. I frequently run into her at the Village.
Mrs. Moore is retired and enjoying life.

Harsensis

Post Number: 159
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet, does your first name begin with an H and are you always way ahead of the other guys on your route?

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 160
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What month and year did the 7-Mack shopping center close and when did Pointe Plaza open for biz?
JC Penny there closed around 1985?

I remember the afternoon I was driving down Mack and noticed the lights were off in the Woods Theater and there was sign on the door saying it was curtains for the Woods. I saw someone inside and when she came to the door she said the building was going to be torn door. I think it was a matter of weeks later and the Woods was torn down. Was that in '95?

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Woods closed in mid 1997.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 191
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1977/1978 Blazos was the Landmark, I think. Anyway, we would go sledding on Balduck hill as 17 year olds and then go for coffee, hot chocolate (and smoke cigarettes maybe - bad children!) afterwards. I can swear I remember gliding down the large, swooping, red carpeted stairway to the ladies room. I thought it was very cool.

Terridarlin
Username: Terridarlin

Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First time posting. Loved the old photos really brought back memories. Bulletmagnet mentioned the Bottomless Pit, my Mom owned it. I was 13 and met some really cool people. When I think back, she did have some great posters, Easy Rider was her best seller.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Terridarlin. Does your family have any photos of the "Pit"?I'd love to see them if you do.I wish I had some of those posters today! That place really was cool, with all the outta sight shit man.

Terridarlin

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the welcome. My family have never been great picture takers, unfortunately. I wish I had the posters too. About all I have left are some long dangle earrings, and beads! If you're an eastsider do you remember a restaurant on Harper called the Golden Buddha?

Chalu64

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where was the bottomless pit again? I'm drawing a blank.

Loved the Golden Budha. Loved the drink where several people could share it and they would light it on fire? Name?

Terridarlin

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Bottomless Pit was in the 7mile and Mack shopping center next to Penney's.

I don't remember the name of the drink, because I was a teen, but I loved the warsugui sp? entree. How long ago did it close?

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1759
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it was called the Kava Bowl, or something like that.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, anyone remember J.C. Penny's at 7-Mack Center with Woolworth, Kressqe's, Woods Theater, and Gabby's Restaurant?

Detroittej72,
Reading most these threads, AND seeing these pix brings back a TON on memories (4 a kid who grew up in the 80s-the only thing I cannot recall is Gabby's Restaurant-but the rest VIVIDLY. And 2 top it off, MACK-7 was IN Detroit! But if Pointe Plaza is parallel 2 what it used 2 be, why do some call Grosse Pointe and yet it's in the very same spot? I've lost sleep on that one! BTW, I do remember the JC Penney that WAS on the GP side of the parking lot where the reatly office is today. Like I said, this brings back some childhood memories 4 me. Saunders and Stroh's if I'm not mistaken was there as well.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 158
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the neighborhood like when you lived there Mike? Blue Collar-Italian?

Chalu64

Post Number: 110
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sanders was there. Strohs, no.

Waxx

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really miss that old Sears store. It was SO convenient, courteous personnel, not very big, but they had enough stock to save me a trip over to the Montgomery Ward Store at 7

The_Rock

I'm just months shy of 32, and I do remember the Sears diagonally across from Mack-7/Pointe Plaza. When we were teenagers (around 89-90) some of us tried 2 get a job there-good thing we didn't get a job @ that location because in '90, or '91 it was torn down, but it was fun going there 4 the majority of the 80s-especially during Christmas!

Like I told DetroitTej72, this brings back some memories for someone who only in his early 30s-Thanks again.

Waxx

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chalu64
Sanders was there. Strohs, no.

Thanx 4 clearing that one up 4 me. I remember Sanders being there, but I thought there was a Stroh's there also.

Terryh

Post Number: 159
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the neighborhood currently infested with pit bull walking thugs and negative-brutish vice cops like many other sections of the city?

Chalu64

Post Number: 111
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waxx,
Sanders was the best. Do you remember Michaelangelos Pizza?

Terryh: The neighborhood is still relatively nice.

Terryh

Post Number: 160
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GOOD

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh:

---Is the neighborhood currently infested with pit bull walking thugs and negative-brutish vice cops like many other sections of the city?---

KorridorKid:

When did Detroit become Mogadishu, Somalia?!?!?

Waxx

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chalu64

Sanders was the best. Do you remember Michaelangelos Pizza?

Yes I do. Buddy's Pizza ain't got nothing compared to Michaelangelo's. I miss Mack-7. they should bring the name back.

Nighternock
Username: Nighternock

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Pointe Bar-B-Q seems to have closed. Had a for sale sign on it."

I used to go there with my mother all the time. I visited home last summer (live in NYC now) and took my girlfriend and my buddy and his wife and kid there and we loved it. It didn't seem as good as I remember it, but was tasty, the portions were nice and they had free refills on the pop!

"People have mentioned many familar places; but I don't think any mentioned Harper Sports (now on 9 Mile and Mack) but back in my youth/teen years"

I used to go to Harper Sports all the time. loved that place. I remember going to get autographs there too. I think I got Gibson's and Erick Hipple's. Come to think of it I think Gibson was a no show and we just got Hipple.

"Pointe BBQ had closed several years ago for awhile and then reopened with what seemed like ever-changing hours. I'm not shocked that it didn't last.

The original owner, Tony Tocco, is advertised as doing the ribs at the new Izzy's on the Avenue (which used to be in New Baltimore) on Harper between 8 and 9 Mile. Haven't tried the ribs yet, but everything else we've had there has been fantastic."

I'll have to check out Izzy's on my next trip home.

"Several people mentioned Balduck Park. That was a big hangout for a time in the late sixties, or early seventies, lots of dope smoking, rock and roll, drinking, and cruising. This went on for several weeks until the cops couldn't take it anymore and rioted. They came in swinging billy clubs and knocking heads. It looked like a replay of the 68 Democratic Convention in Chicago, on a much, much smaller scale. Those of us that could run fast enough or who got lucky avoided getting beat up by the cops. But many were not that fortunate and felt the blows from their clubs. Does anyone else remember this?"

We used to party there in the 80's and 90's. We also went to Angel Park at the foot of Alter a lot too to party. The cops would chase us out a lot, but things were pretty lawless by then.

"the Mack-7 retail center"

God, haven't thought about that place in so long. I used to go there with my grandmother when I was really young. Great memories.

"Rozema and Gibson used to be wild back in the early 80s."

I remember Rozema was making a comeback once, maybe with the Rangers, and he worked out with my high school team.