Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Great Scott! Supermarkets « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 751
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did they start? What was their story? What became of them? I only remember a pair of hearts.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 752
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kroger Co. buys 37 Detroit Great Scotts!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5074
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... and I'm not going Krogering!!!

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 155
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be on on Warren ave and Garling Drive just west of Evergreen. It did become a Kroger, then a Food Basics, and now it is a Farmer Jack.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5080
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well first the Supermarket on W.Warren Ave used to be A Great Scott, Krogers, Farmer Jack, Food Basics and now a Farmer Jack.

Ericdfan

Post Number: 157
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only remember it being a farmer jack currently...It was a Kroger up until they tore down the plaza it was in a built it and built the Food Basics. There was a Farmer Jack down on Evergreen and Paul at the time when that location on Warren was a Great Scott and a Kroger. Actually, the Farmer Jack on Paul was a A&P before it was a Farmer Jack.

I grew up in that Area, so hit me with your best shot! :-P

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 263
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you're both technically, but it was built as a farmer jack, but never opened as one. What was torn down was a spartan store called the Warrendale Market which moved in when Kroger Closed. Funny thing is this is not technically in Warrendale, but rather it is in Dearborn Heights.

I don't recall if this location was previously a Wrigley's or Chatham, but it would not surprise me.

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 258
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, the process is sort of backwards, I thought Food Basics replaced the Farmer JAcks, not the Krogers, and also, so Krogers and Farmer JAck have been sharing the same buildings in years huh? That's interesting. So some of the Food Basics became Farmer JAcks again, that's nice. Also, I went Krogering yesterday at the one in Harper Woods. Funny how they shiasted the one on Gratiot in Detroit out of all the five-star items such as a sushi bar. I've been to the ones in Grosse Poite and Harper Wodds, but I guess the things in the certain Krogers figure, huh?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 265
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Different building, same location, Farmer Jack's ripped down the mall that the former Kroger (which they bought as Warrendale Foods) to open it as an FJ. While constructing the building, the company went through a massive reorginzation which ended up with the food basics (I loved this food basics btw, great prices, new clean,). When they decided to sell off the food basics stores, they realized that they had a pretty good location here, that was near a lot of population and did not have a lot of competition (since they closed the nearby store on AA Trail and Evergreen) so they painted it, opened a pharmacy and a few other departments and rechristened it an FJ.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 212
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great scott used to be Wrigley's

Designut
Username: Designut

Post Number: 93
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I forgot all about Great Scott!. (I was still riding in the shopping cart in the 80's.) I also remember going to Arbor Drugs, which was next-door to our local Great Scott... (Arbor became CVS)

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 360
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perry Drugs, Arbor Drugs, Great Scott, Revco Drugs, Cunningham's...what do they all have in common?

All former Detroit Chain stores, now all sadly gone to the wayside.

Detroitej72

Messykitty
Username: Messykitty

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You forgot Chatham.

Ericdfan

Post Number: 161
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah yes, that was a Warrendale Foods 4 a while...I had forgotten about that..prolly cause it was only open for like 4 months...lol

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My memory of Great Scott comes from my days as a wee lad growing up in Farmington Hills. There was one on Orchard Lake and 12 (maybe? I don't go to FH anymore; I think it's now a CVS and ABC Warehouse) that had these cash registers that would "talk" to you. "Thank you for shopping at Great Scott," it would say in this robotic kind of way. When the year was 1985 or '86 and you're a 6-year-old, you wanted to go grocery shopping every day. I'm sure the cashiers wanted to shoot themselves after hearing it 50,000 times a night, but I couldn't get enough of it.
Sorry, haven't heard that store's name in a long time. The nostalgia was too great (scott) to hold back.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 697
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Chatham 'round Warrendale way, but it was on Greenfield in Dearborn, between Ford and Michigan, I think.

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Great Scott in the "strip mall",(I hate that term) at Van Dyke and Martin. Right across from the Tank Ansenal. I worked for a month in the Great Scott in Franklin in 1970. Produce department, the manager looked like Larry Storch from "F Troop". "That's a Spicy Meatball". That was his mantra.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The former Chatham store at Nine Mile and Ryan is still going strong as Value Center Market.

I do remember the Great Scott at Martin & Van Dyke...it's been a lot of different businesses over the years.

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought some fish at Great Scotts! once-
It was actually loaded with live crawling maggots-
Lucky some outfit bought them-

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mean Great Scotts- not the maggots-
duh

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 286
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a GREAT SCOTT! in the Ford-Tel shopping center in Dearborn Heights that I used to go to as a youngster with my mother during the late 1980s. I think it later became a Harvest Foods, then sat for a while and reopened as a GFS Marketplace, which I believe it still is today. Thanks for bringing back some good memories - ahh the joys of riding in the cart!

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 848
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember those old stores..

I also rememer Chathams grocery in Hazel Park off 75 and 9 mile.

Urbanvaquero
Username: Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 336
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother took my sister and I once a week to the Chatham on Southfield in Allen Park. I remember the old Plymouth Fury overheating down there and my aunt rescuing us with a gallon of water.

It must have could have closed sometime soon after this incident, because after that I only remember shopping at the Great Scott that used to be where Highland Appliance used to be where the Michael's craft store is next to the Aco Hardware that used to be an "Ace" hardware before the lawsuit.

After Great Scott closed on Michigan, my mother only went to Farmer Jack stores. At the time, the nearest Meijer was way down south at Eureka and Pardee.

As for me these days, if I had to pick a chain grocery to go grocery shopping at, I'd go to a Kroger. And Kroger's private line is top-notch.

And don't get me started on that quarter-inch trim and those dancing scissor-womyn.

--Brenda

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 382
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chatham Stores: 8 Mile and Gratiot, Kelley and State Fair(in Harper Woods), Hayes just north of Houston-Whittier, Kelly and Houston-Whittier, what memories this brings back to me...

Me Mum and I would go grocery shopping on Friday nights...Mom would let me get a "favorite drink", which was a cheap juice in a non-descipt plasic bottle. If I was luckey, the deli would have free samples of some kind of pizza. I remember one time they didn't have it, and I told my mom to tell them to make it because I wanted it!!!

Detroitej72's memories...

I loved shopping with me mum, because me dad always told me "your going in my stead, you need to be the man."

I still to this day like to take my mother grocery shopping.

On a side note, The Chatham warehouse in Warren was at Schaonerr and Bunnert Road, a stone's throw from BI-County Flea Market has since become Butcher's Boy Meats.

Detroitej72

Dtown1

Post Number: 279
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I assuming there was a Chatman or Great Scott at the varied locations.

Lafayette@Chene
Warren@St. Antoine.
is it Southfield and Schoolcraft?
and... and Great Scott on Harper and Moross.
oh yes, and an AP on 8 Mile and Schoenher, in the ragedy, vacated shopping area.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slightly off topic, but here is an old Farmer Jack store, whereabouts unknown.
FJ

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No idea on location--but cars suggest late 1970s or early 80s--I see an Impala and an Omni. If it helps with identification there is Texaco station next door--you can make out the sign frame.

Dtown1

Post Number: 320
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It appears to be Van Dyke in Center Line Somewhere, I depicted that from the particular street lights.

Also, It may be Jos Campau on the northern ed where it widens out, or possibly even Conant on the nothern end

Dtown1

Post Number: 322
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Notice in old Fashion signs that would sit on the edge of the lots and the DEtroit Newpaper things.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that clears it up.

Dtown1

Post Number: 323
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For THOSE who are unable to see, the arrow around the red box is the detroit newstand and the arrow around the sign may be a in or exit or stop sign.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2893
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Danny,

Here's a list of Great Scott! locations from a 1961 phone book:

Office, 12847 Connant
Store No 1, 1011 Eastlawn
Store No 2, 12420 Connant
Store No 3, 14033 Maddelein
Store No 4, 24425 Plymouth, Redford
Store No 5, 24250 5 Mile Rd, Redford

By 1967, they had added these locations:

27155 Cherry Hill, Inskster
22365 Ecorse, Taylor
24150 Ford, Dearborn Heights
7033 W Fort, Detroit
28250 Grand River, Redford
12021 Harper, Detroit
4007 Pelham, Dearborn Heights
29250 Plymouth, Livonia
5025 Schaefer, Dearborn
7407 E Seven Mile, Detroit
115 12th Street, Detroit

Did Food Fair change their name to Farmer Jack's or was Farmer Jack's a separate chain who bought Food Fair?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2978
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work for the Chatham Supermarket on Morang at Kelley (Store #8) back in the 1970's as a packer and later as a cashier.

At the height of their popularity back then they numbered over 30 stores in Metro Detroit. The four Weisberg brothers who owned the stores sold them many years later. The new owners sucked the life out of the stores (using them as cash cows) until the chain went belly up.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at Store No 2, at 12420 Conant between Garvin and Sobieski Sts. in the late 1950's and early 1960's. I have been waiting for 40+ years for someone to bring up the topic of Great Scott Super Markets so I can show off my "Great Scott Super Market I Am Here To Serve You" name tag. And, here it is!
great scott

Livedog2

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^ LOL Livedog,, thats great

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Great Scott on Plymouth Road. It was kitty-corner to the now-gone Wonderland Mall.

I vaguely remember a Great Scott in Westland at the intersection of Ford Road and Wayne Road. But it could have been a Wrigley's or something other.

Farmer Jack tried to make inroads into Virginia Beach VA several years ago but FJ's down-home, aw-shucks hillbilly image didn't sit well with the area's more edumicated populance.

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a Great Scott! at Orchard Lake and 10 Mile when i was a wee lass in Farmington Hills back in the mid 70's. That one eventually turned into an IGA. Was there a Chatham at Grand River and Halsted? I know there was a Kroger there in the early 80's.

You can still see the linked hearts of Great Scott! on the Rochester Hills Salvation Army.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1922
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I remember the Great Scott on Plymouth Road. It was kitty-corner to the now-gone Wonderland Mall.

I vaguely remember a Great Scott in Westland at the intersection of Ford Road and Wayne Road. But it could have been a Wrigley's or something other.

Farmer Jack tried to make inroads into Virginia Beach VA several years ago but FJ's down-home, aw-shucks hillbilly image didn't sit well with the area's more edumicated populance.

quote:

I remember a Great Scott! at Orchard Lake and 10 Mile when i was a wee lass in Farmington Hills back in the mid 70's. That one eventually turned into an IGA. Was there a Chatham at Grand River and Halsted? I know there was a Kroger there in the early 80's.

You can still see the linked hearts of Great Scott! on the Rochester Hills Salvation Army

I remember when people used to post on this forum about their memories of detroit.

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that a swipe? I was just trying to make a comment in the thread.

I hate to say it but I was born in 73 and my memories of Detroit are of a burning hell hole that i saw on tv on a nightly basis.

Sorry that some memories on the threads are of METRO Detroit. Too bad you are offended.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 942
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the name Dabirch or Dabitch?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 543
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a GS at 12 mile and John R.

I remember my mother going there and picking up items to make a birthday cake for my grandmother who lived in Detroit.

How's that?

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1923
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There was a GS at 12 mile and John R.

I remember my mother going there and picking up items to make a birthday cake for my grandmother who lived in Detroit.

How's that?

Much better.

Livedog2

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's not "Great" that's "Great Scott!"

Livedog2

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabirch, not all Great Scott grocery stores were inside the Detroit city limits. But Great Scott grocery stores were in the Detroit "area". I didn't think that me mentioning a suburban location was a problem for some.

Livedog2

Post Number: 1293
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't pay any attention to the Detroit Nazi's, Catman_dude. Say whatever you want, whenever you want without anyone's permission. When they start nipping at your heels just view it as an opportunity to practice ignoring assholes that have no control over their lives so they try to control yours!

Livedog2

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 865
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there is a thrift store in Rochester that was a Great Scott and you can still make out the Heart logo in some spots in the store.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2982
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... and speaking of Detroit Nazi's, go check out the Detroit7000 thread.... what a hoot! :-)

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a Chatham`s on Puritan and Greenfield together with the Merrill`s Drugstore. My mom didn`t shop much at the Chatham`s as she was more of a Farmer Jack`s gal.I worked at the Merrill`s about 25 years ago with a friend.What a strange place it was,in retrospect.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.