Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » I Miss Stroh's Beer « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since it's the eve of St. Patrick's Day & many will be doing the pub crawls and quaffing a few ( or more )beers thought I'd bring this up. I really miss a good bottle of Stroh's. Especially their Bock beer which they only made & sold in the spring.
That Bohemian " Fired Brewed" taste was one of kind! I'll guess I have to suffer with Labatts

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last time I stopped in Honest John's he had Stroh's. What's the delay ?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 419
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Labatt's is my favorite thing about Canada! I love that beer. Beats the hell outta Budweiser.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 197
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Signature. Mmmm.

Roomseller
Username: Roomseller

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stroh's was a great beer. If you're looking for good, cheap, and plentiful (who isn't) MGD fits. Molson is another good bottled beer. I can make a shameless plug for Lincoln Park brewery,,,Lincoln Lager really good and smooth.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1808
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the days when you could Stroh's on tap at almost any bar in Detroit. Good stuff

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 288
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can still find Stroh's at plenty of places around town.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 420
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not the same, though, Rjilj.
I still try to support the Detroit-brewed beers whenever I can. Me and the little lady love the MCB and its Ghettoblaster.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 265
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is Stroh's brewed anymore? Also: you can't get Signature now, can you?

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 539
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's brewed in Milwaukee. I just read it on my $1 bottle last night at 3 Nick's on Eureka.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ProfScott, Shroh's is now marketed by Pabst. It's really not the same beer anymore. They no longer make Signature.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fire brewed in copper kettles!

Strohs

A couple of memory flashbacks.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1605778765966622592

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6998144552202322358

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1021265538819564472

Enjoy a Stroh-A-Party

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandfather worked at Stroh's from 1951-1981. A lot of people will tell you the beer tasted different after they left the brewery on Gratiot. One of the speculations about the change in taste was due to different water being used.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4151
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Strohs but I need the black stuff on my namesake's day. Gimme several pints of Guinness. My mouth is watering already.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 787
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoyed many a Stroh's, way back when, and I have drank some in recent years. The current version bears absolutely no resemblance to the original. None.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8567
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are gung ho to support local beers you still have:

In Detroit:
Motor City Brewery
Detroit Beer Company
Traffic Jam
Atwater Brewery

Elsewhere:
Kuhnens
Dragonmead
WAB
Bells
Fort Street
Arbor Brewery
Grizzly Peak

And probably 50 others. Instead of reminiscing about the demise of Strohs in Detroit support the small scale places that make beer here. Drink Detroit and drink Michigan.

Both Forans and the Park Bar serve many locally brewed beers. Honest Johns server MCB and I am sure that many, many other places serve Detroit/Michigan beers as well.

Jt1

Post Number: 8568
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.michiganbrewersguil d.org/findbeer.asp

Breweries in Michigan

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 260
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got a brick from the Stroh's building. It holds my bedroom door open.

Professorscott

Post Number: 266
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Bell's is now the largest brewery in Michigan, is it not? Dragonmead also makes some fine beers (and has the weirdest location for a tap room of anyplace I've ever seen). I haven't had all the others.

Stroh's of course was different in that it was Detroit's beer. I recall the poignant song "After the Brewery on Gratiot is Gone" by George Baier in his "Dick the Bruiser" character, to the tune of Don Henley's "Boys of Summer". Sad day indeed.

I have fond memories of the Strohhaus, but I agree with Jt1 that the best thing is to support the variety of local brewers. Still, it's fun to reminisce.

"Alex, that better be your water you're drinking..."

Professor Scott

Jt1

Post Number: 8569
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that Bell's is the largest and Atwater (Stoney Creek) surprisingly sells a loit of beer in retail outlets. I believe they just started shipping thier producst to Oklahoma and Penn in addition to the 7-8 other states.

Dragonmead, IIRC has a huge selection. I have drank at most of the SE Michigan microbrews and enjoyed most. I don't care for Kuhnens but haven't been there since they just opened (may be better) and I think the Bastone's beer is far below par.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 550
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Four or five years ago I was hiking out of the little town of Pelican, AK, a 100 person fishing village, one of two on 7,000,000,000 acre Chichikoff Island 6 hours west by boat from Juneau. Pelican can be reached only by boat or seaplane. It's located on Lisianski Inlet off the Pacific Ocean, and has a 2 block long "main street", up from the boat docks, a boardwalk on stilts above the water.

In the middle is a little bar with a hanging "Stroh's" sign as it's only identification. We walked in and I said to the bartender. "I'll have a hamburger, and since I'm from Detroit, give me a Strohs." He looked at me like I was from Mars. I don't think he had any idea what or where Detroit is, and said they haven't served Stroh's in 20 years. Said he'd never had one, but the sign was probably free when some prior owner served the stuff. Well, I tried.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 271
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Revine. Not sure if it is me or Strohs but the taste has changed. Not to fond of it anymore. In terms of the Canuks--mentioned was Labatts and Molson. What about Moosehead or Alpine?--both great beers.

Professorscott

Post Number: 267
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a lot of excellent Canadian beers including a great many microbrews. Hie on over to The Beer Store (remember "Brewer's Retail"?) and check out the selection. Even some of the rinky-dink town Beer Stores have a good selection. Be prepared to pay, though, quite a bit more than you would in Michigan. I threw an Ontario Micro-Brew party a few months back, and everyone had a great time but it set me back quite a few loonies.

If this is tu

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 361
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was no beer like Stroh's. Any beer now that calls itself "Stroh's" is just a facsimile.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 174
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about Goeber's?

Foodcity
Username: Foodcity

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last night before the Bob Seger concert, we drank draft Stroh's at The Park Bar.

After the concert, we drank bottled Stroh's at the Detroiter Bar.

Right now, I'm enjoying some Stroh's Ice Cream (vanilla bean).

Yum!

Eric_w

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stroh's taste was part of it's brewing technique which used copper kettles & direct open flame to brew it. My dad worked there in the early 50's and liked working there it but needed steady work with our family growing. It's been a long time but Stroh's aroma was unique to me- I always could tell it apart from other beers.
Stroh's also sold a dark lark lager on tap. I used to drink it at Lum's Restaurants. Man was that good stuff.
One beer I just discovered is called Yuengling- from Pennsylvania. It's really good but they don't sell it here.
I live close to the Lincoln Park Brewery- gotta try it soon.

Nyburgher
Username: Nyburgher

Post Number: 125
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yuengling- from Pennsylvania is great.Another great Pensylvania one is Straubs and i want to go there before I die. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg /07009/752291-155.stm A sacred thing if there ever was one.

I don't want to act like a sick grave dancer but is that big Stroh's Brewery still standing? Old Breweries are often nice well built buildings and could make some nice work spaces for artists.
I just want to put in the word before you need more parking.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I don't want to act like a sick grave dancer but is that big Stroh's Brewery still standing?"

Stroh's was torn down in 1985 or 1986 and during the demolition they had a major fire there. As I mentioned my before my grandfather worked there from 1951-1981. He had the type of job there where losing fingers, hands, falling off catwalks was a constant worry. The other problem was some of his co-workers were not always sober because drinking during lunch hours at Stroh haus was acceptable, and it unfortunately at times became a safety issue with the machinery. However, he did receive two interesting gifts from them over the years. In 1968 he got the day off because he won a raffle and had the opportunity to watch Game 5 of the World Series in a box at Tiger Stadium with either John or Peter Stroh. In 1976 he received a nice watch for 25 years of service. He died at the same time that Stroh's decided to end brewing here.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 430
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leininkugel makes some mighty fine beer, love the Original and the Northwoods Lager.

Does anyone else remember the commerical * From one beer lover to another Stroh's beer*?

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3104
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rd world, 7,000,000,000 acres, eh? That's a big island.

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even Fidel knows a good beer when he sees one...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tEb tEwm1SLw

Psip

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stubby's with JP doing the voice over.
I forgot about those type bottles.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T3V 4qLJMqzU

Eric_w

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's commercial's great!
Urbanize:What about Goeber's? I think you meant Goebel- it was a Detroit Brew and Stroh's bought it. Used to be able to get 6-pack for 96 cents plus tax around 1973- a dollar "high". Before bottle deposit.
Mentioning the brewery-it was a landmark being on Gratiot by I-75. The sign big red letters that spelled out Stroh's Beer.Psip that pic you posted is pretty cool.
By the way I originally mentioned bock beer- Michelob makes a bock that's pretty good. I'm drinking one now.

Psip

Post Number: 1557
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goebel's with a guest appearance of Detroit's own Van Patrick. c1956

http://video.google.com/videop lay?docid=4821062430789211535

http://video.google.com/videop lay?docid=1786014193419209589

http://video.google.com/videop lay?docid=-7981628504437166992

http://video.google.com/videop lay?docid=7214071549898560318

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About 15 years ago, I picked up a 40 of Stroh's. My friend chided me "That's an old man's beer!" I was 21 at the time. It tasted fine to me though!

My dad and his buddies used to drink Goebel (pronounced zho-bell) too, cheap stuff! I recall working at Arbor Drugs and one loyal customer bought a case of Goebel 6 days a week! He would strut in about 5pm with his case of empties from the previous day and pick up a full one. Normally we wouldn't have carried it but for him we made an exception. At the time, I think it was $8.99 a case.

Anyone else here try Molson XXX? I first bought it in Windsor a few years ago and they now sell it here. I'm enjoying a bottle right now, 7.3% by volume!

B24liberator
Username: B24liberator

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just for fun.... Breweries that once called Detroit home:
http://www.mi-brew.com/locatio n/detroit-1.html

.... and that's just page one!

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 200
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of these microbreweries should buy the Stroh brand from Pabst and start fire-brewing Stroh's again. it would be a big hit.

Urbanize

Post Number: 190
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Some of these microbreweries should buy the Stroh brand from Pabst and start fire-brewing Stroh's again. it would be a big hit"

That's like hoping the Auto Industry will produce Steel Bodied Cars again.

Urbanize

Post Number: 191
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or that KFC would actually start using the recipe (only one copy left, no restaurant uses it) and cooking the chicken the Colonel did.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 219
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 4:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 2000, I went on a cruise of the South China Sea, which began in Hong Kong. The cruise ship was docked adjacent to a large shopping mall. In this mall was a small grocery/party store. While shopping for snacks I was shocked and delighted to find Stroh’s Beer. I promptly bought their last three cases and lugged them back to my cabin. Needless to say, it was a very enjoyable cruise.

Stryker81
Username: Stryker81

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Molson XXX is a decent brew. I can remember being 19 and going to Canada to drink it. I was happy to see it finally being sold here a few years ago. Slam a whole 6'er and you're pretty much set for the whole night. Only tried Goebel once a couple years ago. I found and bought a 12 pack of it at the Farmer Jack at 9 and John R. It wasn't bad. Like Strohs, I believe Pabst brews this also. I have heard that Goebel was a popular beer around Detroit in the 1950's.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pabst doesn't brew anything anymore. They are a marketing company headquartered in suburban Chicago (formerly San Antonio, TX) that contracts out the brewing of their beers to Miller. For a short time the cans actually said "San Antonio, TX" but I guess it's better for marketing to pretend that the current incarnation of the company has some relationship to the original based in Milwaukee. http://www.jsonline.com/story/ index.aspx?id=432981

Jeff_of_dayton
Username: Jeff_of_dayton

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Believe it or not Strohs was popular in Kentucky. We used to drink it when I was in college in Lexington, including that special Bock Beer.

They also had those "Stroh-man" promotions in the supermarkets too (sort of a beery snowman).

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 555
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think Stroh's was ever a top seller in MI, or Detroit. Maybe 3rd. Strange. It was pretty good beer.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 91
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yuengling is excellent! It's everywhere in Pittsburgh, I saw the brewery on History Channel once, there's something remarkable about it but I can't recall what it was.

I'm not old enough to have had real Stroh's but the current version always tastes kind of 'skunked' as they say.

Username: 48202

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

America’s oldest brewery

Yuengling Black and Tan. Definitely worth trying.

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 315
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Union Street has bottled Stroh's.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4818
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still had very fond memories one very hot summer of having a tall Stroh's in a frosted mug; it was the first weekend I had moved out of my parents' house and it was at Mr. B's in downtown Royal Oak. It was about 102º in the shade and I couldn't believe how well that thing went down. Ahhh... good memories.

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who else hoisted a few at the Stroh Haus? You'd could pull in with your lunch about noon to see what was on draft that day. They'd ALWAYS have Stroh's Dark, which was also ALWAYS on tap at Ivanhoe- the Polish Yacht Club. After the Dark was gone, well then let's pop in a tape of classic Strohs TV ads and try a mmmmm a Signature. Ah yes!!!

1st_sgt
Username: 1st_sgt

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Dad worked at Stroh's for 15 years. Seemed he came home drunk a lot then. He was a machine repair machinist. He kept the lines going. Mom did not like him working there. We always had Stroh's beer in the house. I think there was still some in bottles in a case out in the garage when we sold his house, along with E&B and Pfeiffer beer bottles.

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 379
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 years ago I was in the u.p. and stopped at this brew/pub in grand marais. Best hamburger ever and homemade blueberry ale!

Revolutionary
Username: Revolutionary

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what Michigan beer is the cheapest and still brewed in-state. Anybody have any idea?

I'll stick with my High Life until I figure it out.

Jeff_of_dayton
Username: Jeff_of_dayton

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its not cheap but Michigan brews some good microbrew.

Third Coast and those other Bell's products from over in Kalamazoo, I think.

Imhere
Username: Imhere

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to kid my Grandmother, that the demise of Stroh's was her fault. She was a die hard Stroh's drinker and drank her fair share, if not more, of it.

She ended up getting cancer and had to stop drinking. It was within a month of her quiting drinking that Stroh announced they were closing the Brewery on Gratiot.

It was just to coincidental to not joke with my Grandma about it.

Rkick
Username: Rkick

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HEY JOHNLODGE YOU WANT TO SELL YOUR STROH'S BRICK?I KNOW YOU DON'T-BUT CAN YOU BUY ONE SOMEWHERE? ANYBODY KNOW IF THERE FOR SALE OR STILL ON THE GROUND OR IN A PILE SOMEPLACE??

Eric_w

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This said it all:

strohs

(Message edited by Eric W on March 28, 2007)

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any non compete contract that the original Stroh family had to sign must be up by now. I wonder if they ever consider reintroducing the original recipe back in ole Detroit. Here is another example that everyone remembers Stroh's Beer but nobody remembers the money transacted that relegated this great beer to oblivion. Business is going to slowly but surly squeeze the humanity out of the human race for the sake of a dollar. I hope we wake up before the last measure of that humanity is teased out of us! I'm not against money or profit but the tradeoff has to be considered to say nothing of how much money is enough?

Eric_w

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of their ( Stroh's Family ) big mistakes was growing to big too fast and taking on a ton of debt. They had a good thing going with being a strong regional brewery. When they bought Schlitz then Heilman breweries, they saddled themselves with huge debt at a time when beer sales were slowing in the 80's.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5688
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least Stroh's Ice cream is still up and running in Detroit.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 309
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"HEY JOHNLODGE YOU WANT TO SELL YOUR STROH'S BRICK?I KNOW YOU DON'T-BUT CAN YOU BUY ONE SOMEWHERE? ANYBODY KNOW IF THERE FOR SALE OR STILL ON THE GROUND OR IN A PILE SOMEPLACE??"

Nah I couldn't sell it, I remember my dad driving me down there just so he could run up on the site and grab it. No idea where you can get one.

Psip

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, I am afraid its a here today, gone tomorrow situation.
Enjoy it while you can.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/95249.html

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5689
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep I know

Stroh's born 1775 died 2000.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 762
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who remembers the Stroh's "Destoyers?" They were 16 oz. returnables sold by Strohs in the days before the bottle deposit law. They were sold in those red and gold heavy weight cardboard cases that were sturdy enough to use for bookshelves and tables. Perfect for dorm room furniture.

Eric_w

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do - I used to buy them at a party store on Fenkell- Calamity Jane's for about 23 cents each.
I used to use beer boxes for all sorts of stuff-storing camping gear winter clothes- they were very durable.
Another little note: Anyone recall the scene in " the Shawshank Redemption" where the con's were drinking beer on the roof? Those bottles looked a lot like Stroh's & Morgan Freeman's narration included the term ice cold Bohemian beer which was Stroh's term for the beer.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The exact quote was, "And that's how it came to pass that on the second-to-last day of the job, the convict crew that tarred the plate factory roof in the spring of forty-nine wound up sitting in a row at ten o'clock in the morning drinking icy cold, Bohemia-style beer, courtesy of the hardest screw that ever walked a turn at Shawshank State Prison."

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Yuengling- from Pennsylvania"

I have not had a Yuengling since i moved to Detroit...Yuengling is a great cheap beer.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 164
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

4 cases of good beer in my fridge may 2, 1979
good strohs beer

Detroiterinspirit
Username: Detroiterinspirit

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ProfessorScott - If you want to hear your favorite Bruiser song, go to www.motorcityrock.com and under Band go to Dick the Bruiser and then Audio....

Enjoy!!!

I miss the Stroh Haus, Friday afternoons skipping the late class from WSU.....

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 875
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This takes me back to junior high school, when we used to drink strohs in our parents' basement.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4932
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As the weather slowly warms up, thoughts of tall frosty beverages do sound good. And a local brew even sounds that much better.

Hardliner
Username: Hardliner

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 Points...

1. My grandfather was a "working" Alcoholic and I just about ended up there myself. So, I avoid the stuff.

2. When I was drinking, Molson Ice was my favorite beer.

I am smart enough to realize that not all beer drinkers are Alcoholics. All about moderation. But for some reason those beer commercials strike a cord with me, Glamorizing beer drinking. I don't know if I like that.

-HL

Sippean
Username: Sippean

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in the Detroit area and started drinking Stroh's. Moved to Texas in 1982 and was thrilled when my favorite beer was available locally. While the beer did not taste the same, I continued to buy 30 packs. The old Stroh's that I remember had a distinct flavor.

Ok, I bought this beer yesterday called Saint Arnold's Lawnmower, and to me it tastes very similar to the Detroit brewed Stroh's that I remember. It would be interesting to know if others agree. So I'm having another while waiting for replies.

I've attached a link to give others more information on the beer, which is brewed in Houston, Texas.

http://www.saintarnold.com/bee rs/lawnmower.html

I am curious to know what others think.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: