Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Damn you WDET « Previous Next »
Archive through March 23, 2007Gravitymachine39 03-23-07  10:55 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 184
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I used to like about the station was its unique "Detroit" ness. Edgy music with a personal flair,, it was unlike anything I'd heard in our area or in the nation for that matter. I listened to it constantly. Now its losing all of its character,,My interest in the station has gone to nil. How sad.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 812
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, things change, time marches on...
I'm probably biased but I thought 'DET reached it's peak in the early/mid 80s...then lost the 'edge' as the format became homogenized. But the mid-70s, those were the really wild days - totally eclectic programming, much of it Det focussed. It really was community-based radio.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 325
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Well, things change, time marches on...
I'm probably biased but I thought 'DET reached it's peak in the early/mid 80s...then lost the 'edge' as the format became homogenized. But the mid-70s, those were the really wild days - totally eclectic programming, much of it Det focussed. It really was community-based radio."

Didn't most entertainment have it's peak in the early 80s? once technology really came in, people got lazy and quality work went steadily downhill (starting in the mid 80s to now)

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 285
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sorry to see that Celeste Headlee's Sunday morning "Front Row Center" is one of the casualties

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8719
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craggy,

Thanks for the enlightenment...I'm still wondering why the major home equipment manufacturers haven't come on board yet.

You know I trust you...had years of training learning your consistency through the radio and am blessed to continue knowing more about you.

Like the slide to FM, as you say, this will take some time...and expense on the part of the consumer, no doubt. It will have to dawn on them, like in the past...amidst the rush of other confusing new technology. We are so well along Toffler's Future Shock that this stands to be a casualty if not for some concerted effort.

That's why I'm starting my on-line consumer electronic's critique site, AudioVideo Insanity..to provide a venue for clarity on issues exactly as these, you just helped prove that (as I know) I cannot do it properly alone. Single perspectives ALWAYS have unknown blind sides, usually due to emotion!

Like the move from B&W to Color TV, though, the content should NOT be removed from those who cannot yet afford the new boxes.

Backwards compatability should always be maintained to some extent, that way the consumer has the ability to compare directly the true benefits to the new technology.

I didn't directly say conspiracy...heh. I do not trust large corporations, though, every time they bump into the mere human machine's collective existence...they seem to merely want to get deeper into our pockets and tighten the collar around our necks!!

Do you know if there is a way through HD radio that only content purchasers can listen to everything? Can it become a pay-per, like all of our other content provision?

We need also to protect FREE avenues of availability through the PUBLIC airwaves...

Gannon

Post Number: 8720
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zephyr,

WHAT?!

Got to breathe...trying hard to NOT run out my door to storm the station...God help me in this reaction...this is one of the most important shows in all of the Detroit marketplace.

UGH!

Please, I hope there is something else she will do that will replace this...damn it.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 333
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well in Music, only instruments we here now is those pre=recorded Electronic Pianos and Synthesizers beats, unlike the live music we heard for centuries.

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 239
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no...HD radio is free, and will remain so. Pretty soon, the major automakers (BMW is already offering it) will have HD receivers as standard equipment on new vehicles.

In the meantime, you can either buy a new receiver for your car, or a conversion receiver that mounts in the trunk (much like the old Cells for phones, a little smaller than a CD changer) that will allow you to receive HD signals through your existing car stereo. Home receivers are also available, which hook up to your existing stereo through a simple RCA connection (just like a CD player). Costs right now for both the car converter and the home receiver are about $200.

Detroit already has a couple dozen HD stations.

And, the broadcasters will not abandon their analog transmissions, the way television stations will. The cool thing about HD radio is that when you drift out of the HD signals range, it automatically switches to the analog signal. Now, you won't be able to get the subchannels, but the main analog signal will be available.

Again, its cool technology that offers the possibility of doubling and even tripling the number of audio choices in any given city.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those that can get it 107.1 FM from Ann Arbor has Martin Ban Dyke on in the mornings. He plays a good mix reminiscent of his WDET days

Gannon

Post Number: 8721
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A good friend, the fellow I refer to as my Friend in Livonia, is buying one for us to play with now...we talked about it last week...so I will be glad to give you my official take on it soon.

I still think at least Love's show, and some of the other analog music content should be co-broadcast on both channels simultaneously, so consumers can have an instant comparison.

That would do MORE to help sell the concept than anything anyone could ever discuss, as long as it is a true advancement.

I am beyond believing that new = improved, I am not a Madison Avenue devotee!!

(doesn't mean I don't believe you in this case...LOL)

Craggy

Post Number: 240
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon...most stations will have their main programs on both Analog and HD. they then can have additional programs on the other HD frequencies.

Imagine, for instance, WDET 1,2, and maybe 3. 1 would be the main channel, news and info. 2 could be all music, 3 could be whatever they wanted. All at the same time. Turn the dial one notch, and it moves to the second offering, two turns to the third, etc...

Its just getting started. The big radio companies are on board. For instance, WCSX has a second channel, called "deep tracks." There is also a WRIF2 signal, which plays harder edged stuff than on the regular WRIF.

In a few years, instead of 30 different choices, there could be sixty, seventy...its coming.

And it will be free.

Gannon

Post Number: 8722
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The roll-out for HD radio is only about a year late.

Caught this article on the excellent CNet.com , I know a few of the people on the audio and video side, and they are top-notch...I assume the other writes are on par.

quote:

The push on HD radio is a combination of opportunity and desperation, Walsh and others concede. In HD radio, up to eight separate stations can be squeezed into the same spectrum currently allotted for a single station. As a result, broadcasters can offer multiple channels of related programming; a classical station, for instance, could dedicate channels to chamber music or opera. Ideally, this will lead to more listeners and advertisers.

"Multicasting is the killer app," said Chuck Tweedle, senior regional vice president of Bonneville's San Francisco stations. These new stations can be broadcast for free, or delivered for a nominal subscription, such as $1 a month, that would undercut satellite radio services.

Multi-casting can also fuel GREED in mere human broadcasters, as they see it as a way to sell more advertising. This is NOT the case, usually, as there is NOT an unlimited well of ad dollars available to tap.

In addition, there has to be enough worthwhile content to keep up, as we've seen Springsteen's near-prophetic 57 Channels with Nothing On explode into 570 channels through Digital Cable and Satellite.

quote:

Consumers can expect to see that old radio promo--free stuff for callers--to be part of the plan. Rewards are likely to come in the form of free radios during pledge drives this fall at National Public Radio affiliates, Walsh said.

Only a year late...usually DEATH for new technology...lessee if this one survives. It might, if it is worth the trouble and expense.

Cheers!

Gannon

Post Number: 8723
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, Here's the link to CNet's article

Craggy

Post Number: 241
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so...how late was HDTV?

It hasn't stopped people from getting it.

Again, the key is getting the automakers to put it in cars. Which is happening.

They bought into Satellite radio big time, giving away free subscriptions for a year. Do you know what the retention rate is? Less than 10 percent.

However, if you offer them something that gives them value, with no subscription fees, people will like it.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell-

Why don't you put in an application for host of the Detroit Today show. If anybody is Mr. Detroit, it is you.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 198
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scrapping Liz feels like the end of an era. That schizophrenic station has been stripping us of our cherished traditions for years now: blues on Saturday mornings, Jon Moshier, midday music, etc.

I've been listening to a handful of Internet stations, including KCRW from Santa Monica, one of the best public radio stations in the country. That station has similarly adopted talk-centered programming for the bulk of its traditional broadcast, but it now has a separate web-only broadcast that remains entirely music-based.

It would be great to think WDET could follow suit, since I love Liz, Ralph, Chuck, Mick & Co. and want to support the home team, but the station's finances of course would probably prevent this.

Gannon

Post Number: 8727
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craggy,

The HDTV rollout was also handled incorrectly, fueled by greed and pride. I believe it should've been a backwards compatible system! Too much nationalistic pride fueling what we ended up with, coupled with a last-minute technology infusion distraction when Billy Gates decided he wanted to control and profit from our living room TeeVee habits as well...read the excellent Defining Vision by my old associate with Stereophile Guide to Home Theater magazine Joel Brinkley (son of newsman David, and simply one of the best inside-the-beltway reporters around, I think he's still with the New York Times) for a great play-by-play of THAT debacle being forced upon us (I may be in the middle of it, but can still be a critic, even if it pays my bills!)

NO WAY my great-aunt Sally is going to willingly spend three hundred dollars to watch over-the-air television on her old 20-inch CRT...no way in heaven or hell she's going to pony up twice that to see it on some shitty low-end HD monitor. We don't want her heading an octogenarian revolution, but if anyone would, it's her.

The auto manufacturers ONLY bought into Satellite radio because they got KICKBACKS from the content providers...so the 'bought into' is actually an INVERSE pun!!

Retention rate is so low, because people can still, for at least the next two weeks in THIS town, get excellent radio for free...until they realize they need to put into the pot in order for their wavelengths to remain 'direct advertising free'.

In addition, I don't trust new technology corporations as far as I can throw them, especially ones with cutesy new names with any form of 'equity' in them, HD Radio comes from a firm called iBiquity and the whole HD term is a LIE.

Here's what Wikipedia says in their introduction:
quote:

HD Radio is the brand name of a method of digital transmission of audio on the FM and AM radio bands. The technology was developed by iBiquity Digital Corporation. The Federal Communications Commission selected HD (Hybrid Digital) Radio as the standard for local area broadcast of signals within the United States. It offers multiple programs on one channel and works on the same frequencies allocated to analog radio stations. Supporters claim CD quality sound and reduced interference and static. Although the acronym HD has come to mean "high-definition" in reference to HDTV, the "HD" in HD Radio is a trademark with no meaning (although a hybrid digital technology is used).

It ain't High Definition Radio...and that is a direct sleight-of-hand...already they're off to the wrong start with me...but as you already noticed, I'm a critic and very skeptical of new tech!

Treelock,
THAT'S what I'm talking about, overall, and if Allen is putting his head into the management of the station...which is where he should be headed, IMHO...then you can bet with the overall information he has, especially with a direct connection to another progressive NPR affiliate with a transition program in place (ahem, hi Craggy), then I'm certain the decisions are ahead of the curve and NOT as dim-witted as the reactionaries (like myself) have made them out to be.

Funny to see how many true conservatives we have on the board.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4267
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Retention rate is so low, because people can still, for at least the next two weeks in THIS town, get excellent radio for free...

Yep that's exactly it. WDET's two-to-three share of the Detroit market was keeping XM down. Best piece of advice I ever received...there is a difference between what you want to believe and what is true.

Craggy

Post Number: 242
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon...the sound quality has never been what sold me on HD. Its the ability to have several simultaneous signals on the same bandwidth.

Wfw
Username: Wfw

Post Number: 195
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy said:

"Was WDET perfect? Did Judy Adams play maybe a few too many Jimi Hendrix songs? Was Martin Bandyke too in love with Los Lobos?"

That's friggin hilarious! I didn't mind the Hendrix but I never understood Bandyke's Los Lobos obsession...

In any event, I agree with you completely. I can't count the number of artists I was exposed to thanks to the excellent DJs at WDET. When the station killed music programming they killed a little piece of Detroit in the process. Although I really enjoyed such programs as Fresh Air and This American Life, it was the mix of music and news which made the station so special. Nowadays, to paraphrase Tony Soprano, "It's dead to me".

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.radioparadise.com

Like WDET-FM in its heyday- without the constant begging for money

no commercials- great music- absolutely free...

The home page features important information about how the U.S. government is trying to squash Internet Radio and the fight to save it

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I prefer the news programs over the music programming. I normally support WUOM over WDET because I prefer their programming. It will be nice to be able to send my contribution to WDET instead of WUOM for a change.

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 573
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad I'll have news on the ride home now, but I CAN'T FREAKIN BELIEVE they got rid of Liz Copeland, holy carp.

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 297
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mbr, you must spend a lot of time in your car commuting in and out of the city. Couldnt you find a suburban station to bog down with more news, and leave wDET to community members with a long history of donating to our radio station in name of our favorite djs.

Gannon

Post Number: 8732
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk,

Sorry, I didn't finish that thought in the post, I'm having difficulties with my computer and need to get to work. Too many distractions for this scatterbrain.

MOST people listen to yucky advertising radio...I simply forgot to add them, because they are also certainly in the subset of individuals happy to NOT pay a monthly fee for radio in their car.

Easy for me to forget, obviously!

Funny how you couldn't see that easy logical assumption, and had once again to go for the jugular. You ever had anyone talk to you about anger management? Between you and Skulker, it wouldn't take much to make a quorum.

Craggy,
I know, but for MOST people...who also think anything DIGITAL is an automatic improvement (which the marketeers are only SO happy to encourage), THEY will see the term and make that assumption.

Incorrectly.

Cheers!

Jelk

Post Number: 4268
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the 5000 who protested WDET at the Super Bowl can return to voice their outrage of this change. Oh wait...

I know WDET's financials this community with a long history of donating to WDET for the music is greatly exaggerated. Liz Coupland's program will be missed by me however the reality is that news is a much more sustainable model for public radio stations.

WDET's decision to launch a two-hour local talk show is phenomenal. I spent some time on a campaign last fall and there are few broadcast venues for serious discussion of local issues and policy. One person associated with a "local" afternoon drive time show told me they don't like to bother with talking to local (in this case statewide) candidates or about local issues!

WDET's new program fills a need that can't be replaced by an iPod.

This city, this state, this nation, this planet is at a cross-road. Serious discussion of the serious issues is so sorely lacking that it puts us all in grave peril. All those little mill towns that went to shit in the 1970's? That's Detroit's - and Michigan's - fate if things don't change around here and fast. Positive change, reform, progress cannot first happen with serious and vigorous debate. If you want the status quo or the French Revolution, then by all means let's bring back the Los Lobos marathons. WDET is attempting to provide a venue for that debate.

I don't care how long his guitar solos last, Pat Methany cannot cure what ails us.

I applaud WDET for taking the leap and finally adding a local daily public affairs/talk show to their line-up. If that means moving toward a more news-centric program model, it is well worth it.

Ed Murrow once said of television: "There is a great and perhaps decisive battle to be fought against ignorance, intolerance and indifference. This weapon of television could be useful. Stonewall Jackson, who knew something about the use of weapons, is reported to have said, "When war comes, you must draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." The trouble with television is that it is rusting in the scabbard during a battle for survival."

WDET was too long rusting in the scabbard as well. It is wonderful to see they are throwing caution to the wind and doing the right thing.

(Message edited by Jelk on March 23, 2007)

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1415
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they want to be taken seriously with the news, the first thing they need to do is get rid of Amy Miller in the mornings, but unfortunately there is no mention of that,

Gannon

Post Number: 8734
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk,

Great post...although I haven't heard of the iPod feature that introduces one to new music! It is not just the delivery of music we're talking about, and again I emphasize LOCAL music, not national or international. Leave Metheny alone, though.

Please tell me you've applied for that job. I know of NO other so perfectly able to walk right into it.

I do love the way your brain works, I just occasionally have trouble with the way your emotions trigger extreme responses...even to the point of dismissing those who are not gifted with your IQ and analysis ability.

(not to mention your absolutely frightening recall of names, figures, and concepts on the fly during verbal debate)

You belong back at WDET anyways, of the decisions they've made in the past few years it might be one of the worst, I'm sure we can agree upon THAT fact. Heh.

Great shit. Thanks. I suspect you posted it the same time as mine, so I await your reaction with great anxiety.

Cheers!

Gannon

Post Number: 8735
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That's friggin hilarious! I didn't mind the Hendrix but I never understood Bandyke's Los Lobos obsession...

You never got to party with the guys in Los Lobos.

Of course, neither did I, but he obviously had a friendship with them...

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We got our first Sirius receiver in Dec of 05. We now have two and subscribe to the 128k Sirius internet service. I'll give them up when they are pried from my cold dead hands. :-)

Before the switch to news, we used to give as much as we could each year to WDET - not for the free year passes to the DFT or the mugs, but because we listened a lot. Now we don't even so much as have a preset for the station. If they ever go back from the generic news format, we'd likely start giving again.

I'm very very not impressed with HD radio. The signal sucks unless you're in a tiny range of the transmitter, I'm STILL pissed with the interference I hear on AM and FM due to it, and it offers absolutely nothing new. I can get far better on Sirius and I don't have to go through the HD tv antenna placement fiasco we're STILL going through to get a signal.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 358
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stopped listening to WDET when they moved the good music from night to late night. I didn't really miss it once The River returned to 93.9. People keep recommending satellite radio, but I believe radio should be free. I drive so rarely that HD isn't worth the $$$, although I would be willing to buy an HD boom box with a cassette recorder. My old boom box that I've had since 1985 is on its last legs, but they just don't make 'em like they used to, so I haven't bought a new one.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2131
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been listening to Liz Copeland, Mick Collins, and some of the other music programs via pod cast a lot lately at work. I find I'm not able to tune in to the live shows (mainly because they've been relegated to the dungeons of the schedule) but the pod cast have been a great way to hear the shows I really like and the music I only hear played on DET.

With Jerome Vaughn back to bring some respect to the newsroom I was seriously considering to start giving to DET again after withholding my money when they canned the daytime music programs. Contrary to many folks who've posted previously, I don't think DET has been doing a good job with local Detroit news. I've been listening to WUOM for about the past year and they've been doing a very good job covering Detroit. Many a time they've scooped DET on a story. I can only hope Jerome Vaughn brings some credibility back to the DET newsroom. If not the station is sunk.

Now that they're canceling Liz Copeland AND Mick Collins they've lost my donations for good. Liz' show was by far the most consistently top notch program on DET as well as Detroit radio as a whole. Without Liz' program there's nothing I can't get on a multitude of other radio stations around town now. I hope Liz lands on her feet. With talent like hers I'm sure she will. If someone find the podcast for the station she lands at, let me know. I'll start tuning in and donating to that station.

Mick Collins covered a lot of great rock AND soul music on his show. I can't think of a single station/DJ in Detroit that's playing racially diverse music other than Mick. His show had far too short of a life. It could have become a power house like Liz' show if allowed to grow up.

Why don't they just put the music out of it's miserably slow death at DET and get rid of Ed Love while they're at it? If any DJ is past their prime at DET, it's Ed Love. I'm sorry to say it since he's a Detroit institution and he introduced me to and educated me about jazz, but WEMU is doing a far better job on the jazz front and WRCJ isn't too far below Ed's show.

If DET is not going to be about great music, then don't be about music at all. Just cancel all the music shows and put it out of it's misery instead of trying to tease those who listened to DET mainly because of the music.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4875
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Considering that Detroit was once known as a music mecca, the loss of the station that once supported music like WDET is really sad.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 291
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Contrary to many folks who've posted previously, I don't think DET has been doing a good job with local Detroit news. I've been listening to WUOM for about the past year and they've been doing a very good job covering Detroit. Many a time they've scooped DET on a story. I can only hope Jerome Vaughn brings some credibility back to the DET newsroom.

I'd suspect that Jerome Vaughn's tenure @Michigan Radio might have been responsible for WUOM scooping 'DET

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 199
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Bvos, you have to wonder why they insist on continuing this charade of having anything whatsoever to do with music anymore. I mean, how long will Matt, Ed and Larry be around before they're replaced by syndicated news parsing?

Gannon

Post Number: 8753
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suspect, after our schooling on HD from Craggy, that the same plan is in the works here...news on the freewaves, music after you buy some new device.

I really think the music hosts will be rehired, at least the ones who will return. Liz HAS been melancholy, but she HASN'T said she's gone...only that her show is cancelled. I may be parcing words here and looking for truth that I merely HOPE exists...but after the dialogue with the honest technophile NPR INSIDER Craggy, this technophobe is at least open to consider the new.

Plus, I have absolute faith that as long as Allen Mazurek is near or at the helm of this iconic station, they will be on a progressive, positive path. We will all benefit with his wisdom, knowledge, and understanding leading the fray.

I have already ordered a home HD radio tuner, it should be here in a week. I will be ready when my favorite music hosts start this type of broadcast...I hope they get Jon Penney back, and keep Mick and Ralph and Chuck spinning discs and pumping up the local talent.

Craggy

Post Number: 243
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon...

don't take my words as anything more than just that: words.

I don't work for WDET anymore. I have no knowledge of any such plans

I just know what's possible. It is possible. Probable? I have no idea.

Jelk

Post Number: 4269
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, leave me make this clear. I am not applying for WDET's General Manager position nor would they hire me if I did. I am grossly under-qualified for that job. I wouldn't want to be a GM if such a position was even offered to me.

As a public radio listener, I've been waiting for WDET to do whatever it had to do in order to launch a daily news/public affairs program. It has been a long-time coming.

For those of you who believe locally produced music programs playing national AAA-format artists is more important than a solid local/national/international news service...look around you man! Rome is burning and all of your fiddling isn't helping.

Kudos to the current leadership at WDET for doing the hard, right thing and saying enlightenment is more important than entertainment in these times.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 822
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barf!

Gannon

Post Number: 8764
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk,

Sorry, you missed a changed track...in THIS thread I was referring to that daytime news slot, buddy...that IS what I was saying I know of NONE better for IT. We already agreed that you are NOT capable of the GM slot...cannot understand why you'd think I'd revisit it publicly after we discussed it privately.

Cut me a little slack, am I stuck in your judgement now that everything I say is stupid? You better clear that foggy mind of yours, that emotional clutter is not helping you any. Goodness, I can ONLY imagine what asinine negative words you'd have typed up on Hotfudge if it were working...stuff your pride would ONLY allow you to pen anonymously.

Craggy,
Only saying that you have inside information of what is going on at YOUR station...not ours.

Your illumination on HD Radio has been particularly helpful to me understanding more of what MAY be happening here...at least certainly forging a path towards what SHOULD be happening.

Middleageguy
Username: Middleageguy

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets kinda change the direxion of this...
who was the hottest WDET host(ess)?

Short lived Anita Tackett gets my vote.

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDET used to have the most amazing Friday night lineup. Reggae from from 10 - midnight (with a guy who called himself Michael Dread, later calling himself Michael Julien). Then Anita Tackett & some other guy playing alt rock for 2 - 3 hours (I can't remember the title of the Clash? tune they used to intro the show). And I remember Alan Oldham's first broadcast (he was really timid back then, now he's a "superstar" DJ splitting time between Chicago and Berlin). He specialized in electronica and EBM music.

Those were the good old days of when it was easy to learn about new music.

Now I'm stuck with Live365 (internet radio).

Brushparkbub
Username: Brushparkbub

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it amazes me that so many of you are unhappy that wdet is providing news and information for detroit. wuom is based in ann arbor and is impossible to get downtown. furthermore, wuom doesn't air programs such as news and notes and has no local programming that airs daily. the loss of liz copeland is sad, but how many of you are actually awake from 12-5am? my guess is that not many of us are. ed love is still around, and 3 hours of his program is more than enough to satisfy most of us jazz lovers. am i to assume that many of you listened to ed love from 7-12 and then liz from 12-5?
wdet is never going to be what it once was, but having a news and information station is a vital addition to detroit's revitalization. all major cities have vibrant npr stations, and suggesting that all of the programs are available on wwj is ridiculous and satellite radio provides NO local programming. This is good for detroit.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 685
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is B.S. and also good.

No one listens to news from 12am to 5am in the morning, unless you're working the night shift.

Liz is great and a wonderful resource for catching on to new music.

A Detroit centered show is great. But why take away the creative music at night?
STUPID.

BBC news does not need to be on all night. Put Ed from 8pm-11pm and Liz from 11pm to 3/4am and fill with BBC.

No more donations from me

Gannon

Post Number: 8808
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, Vas et al, keep an eye and ear or two on them, I suspect they will be doing this HD radio thing Craggy and I were discussing in great technological and philosophical depth!

We're in the midst of adding an additional radio band that seems to NOT be 'pay only' (like the somewhat stupid satellite radio content sources, another way to get $10-20 out of your pocket monthly?! Heh)...not unlike the addition of FM onto AM.

Same rules apply...we might ALL get what we want, just with the music being available on computer and HD tuners. The freewaves will be content that Jelk helped emphasize is most important to our community at large...a stand I reluctantly agree with, while mourning the immediate loss of Liz's night-time show...she was always a calming and curious host, never knew what she'd be playing but I always gave it a chance.

It'll be OK with a minor investment, and I highly suspect they'll be GIVING away various radios in promotion...look at the iBiquity website, they've been assembling the parts for this for years...and it is IN THEIR PLAN to soften the equipment upgrade costs for those who are lucky and hopefully in 'need' of help with this transition.

It is to their benefit that we all gain a way to listen to their new application of digital technology...let's just wait until we KNOW what WDET has planned completely.

Toybreaker
Username: Toybreaker

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My annual contribution has now ended. I firmly believe in paying for what I use, this station, without the late-night music, is now useless to me.

Corktown_paddy
Username: Corktown_paddy

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When WDET quit playing the Jazzfest live, they lost me and their support, and keep giving me less and less reason to go back.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4891
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last night was the last night Clark Warner was on with Liz Copeland discussing and playing techno music. Seeing as how Chuck Horne was also tossed to the curb, where else can we hear techno music on the Detroit airwaves any more?

Smogboy

Post Number: 4903
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck Horne is signing off tonight/ this morning as well.

Last flight for The Seventh Journey. Like he said... "No return flight". 'Tis a sad moment in Detroit's cultural scene. No more innovative radio. We're gonna be fed homgenized corporate radio dribble. The personalities will be about as hum drum as toast now when it comes to their musical selections.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 819
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 3:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There goes the last reason for me to turn on FM radio in the D!

99.5 WBAI (the WDET of NYC) has lost a lot of its luster over tha past few years too, but they've still managed to retain a few great key music shows (Liquid Sound Lounge!). However, I wouldn't be surprised if they went the the way of 'DET eventually...

While the type of programming that 'DET is now representing certainly deserves space on the dial, it's sad that such innovative music programming had to be outed. There are plenty of outlets for alternative talk all over the 'net, radio, cable (NPR, Democracy Now, et al..).

My musical education as a little boy>teenager growing up on East Outer Drive consisted of staying up waaay past my bedtime pressing my ear to the low-vol speakers of my parents' stereo, listening to either WDET, or Mojo. I remember sitting there with a pen & paper in-hand, waiting to scribble down the name & artist of the track I'd just heard...
....which led me to buy a few records, then found my way to the Music Institute, then bought a LOT more records, etc, etc.......

There goes the last high-powered transmitter in Detroit meant to deliver innovative music to virgin ears.

Damn y'all, this sucks!!!!

Smogboy

Post Number: 4904
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 4:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You had those little scribbly notes too as to who was played as well? Lord knows I bought enough music off of those notes as well. And most of the time it was off of listening to one song that led me to buying the ENTIRE album. I marvel at how much varied music I bought because of WDET and The Electrifying Mojo.

I think that's the really sad part of it for record companies there that back in the day, innovative music programming such as the one on WDET spurred people to take a chance on music.

As of 5:00 AM when Chuck Horne signs off, there's going to be less music bravery in the Detroit area. When they say talk is cheap, they should also takes into consideration what it replaces on the Detroit airwaves.

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For me this is about the loss of a great MUSIC station. The discussion of Satellite / HD radio misses the point completely.

Yes I think a little news is OK, but BBC all night? Give me a break. I pulled my companies and personal donations, back when they switched the first time, now there is no chance in hell, I'll donate again. When I offered a conditional contribution, and told them I was not happy during their pledge drive, I was hung up on. I don't care what anybody says- it is pretty much the same as WUOM. Why support or have two entities essentially competing for the same limited market? This is what you get though, when things that should be run like businesses are run by academia. I'll also lay money, that because WUOM is already the dominate player in this market, (and will receive more donations) that WDET, will always be playing "catch up' with them, and in the process lost what was great about them as an institution.

I donated because WDET was unique. I do find it ironic that their donations have steadily gone down after the music left, and their solution is..........less music, replaced mostly by syndicated national talk programs? The talk of local news is great, but look at their line up: A lot of national programs, using the same NPR "Formula", jut like Mc Donald's, in an area with an ever shrinking pie.

Goodbye WDET, it was nice knowing you.

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For me this is about the loss of a great MUSIC station. The discussion of Satellite / HD radio misses the point completely.

Yes I think a little news is OK, but BBC all night? Give me a break. I pulled my companies and personal donations, back when they switched the first time, now there is no chance in hell, I'll donate again. When I offered a conditional contribution, and told them I was not happy during their pledge drive, I was hung up on. I don't care what anybody says- it is pretty much the same as WUOM. Why support or have two entities essentially competing for the same limited market? This is what you get though, when things that should be run like businesses are run by academia. I'll also lay money, that because WUOM is already the dominate player in this market, (and will receive more donations) that WDET, will always be playing "catch up' with them, and in the process lost what was great about them as an institution.

I donated because WDET was unique. I do find it ironic that their donations have steadily gone down after the music left, and their solution is..........less music, replaced mostly by syndicated national talk programs? The talk of local news is great, but look at their line up: A lot of national programs, using the same NPR "Formula", jut like Mc Donald's, in an area with an ever shrinking pie.

Goodbye WDET, it was nice knowing you.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4905
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one thing they never really explained to anyone is WHY the donations were down. Could it be that we're ALL in tough economic times and it might not been because of the format?? I thought the original music format with a dash of the news and informational shows was ideal. I agree Cinderpath, their duplication of not just WUOM but most every other NPR station makes WDET blend in with the wallpaper.

Maybe one day when someone brave is at the helm again that we return to what was truly unique in radio.

Detroitsuperfly
Username: Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No big loss. Since the program directors have been ruling the playlists for the last 6-7 years, even DET's music shows have been crap. When they moved Willie Wilson from Friday nights to Sat afternoon, that was the end for me.

Vas

Post Number: 687
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had thought that the people who freaked out about the format change last year were going overboard and that more news should be welcomed.
Now you have the station going overboard by virtually eliminating all of the music.

Here you have the extremities at play, one side wants all music, one all news.
I want the happy medium, but them making the bonehead decision to cut all weekly music except Ed Love, makes it not possible.

Screw 'em, maybe their fatal insolvency is good and will get these bad decision makers out of there.

Liz was so good.....I'm a news junkie but not at 1am! Idiots.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Couldn't agree more, Vas.

Vas

Post Number: 688
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks Bear

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 222
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Getting rid of Liz Copeland is such a misstep. Other than Brave New Waves on CBC, Liz's was the only radio show to consistently introduce me to amazing music [new and old]. I had the pleasure of partying with her and she's a very fun person.

As long as she is gone I will not donate any money to WDET.

Sf_mike
Username: Sf_mike

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uhhh when I lived in the Detroit area and I wanted NPR news or interview programming I listened to WUOM, when I wanted jazz or techno music I would listen to WDET (rare). I guess WDET not having "typical" NPR programming never bothered me because I listened to WUOM. Now that I live in San Francisco and both NPR stations (KQED and KALW) are primarily news all day I guess I can respect the diversity of WDET.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4967
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the NPR news programs very much but just not nearly all day's worth and most definitely NOT at the expense of what I thought was the cornerstone of WDET- its music programming.

I equate the new WDET programming to CNN- it's nearly all one format. It's informative and useful at times but just how much can a person take of them? I'm not a fan of homogenization.

50milecommute
Username: 50milecommute

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with whoever suggested replacing Amy Miller as morning news host. When I first started driving into Detroit, I had to switch over from WEMU to WDET because of reception issues. But having to listen to Amy Miller stumble and stutter while reading the news and traffic every morning is all but intolerable. I realize that she is an award winning journalist, but maybe she should be kept in the newsroom instead of on the air. She sounds very junior league with her poor delivery skills. Is it just me or does she bother anyone else?

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2150
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amy Miller wasn't perfect, but her delivery didn't bother me that much and I assumed she would get better over time.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1646
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I assumed she would get better over time.

but she hasn't. how many months has she been doing the morning show so far?

Bob

Post Number: 1467
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where did I miss the part that Amy Miller is an award-winning journalist? Hard to believe someone would give her an award, unless it was completely for writing and not being on the air. She is still awful.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 174
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how many months has she been doing the morning show so far?

Way to many, To listen to her reports on the Ambassador Bridge traffic would lead you to believe there were two bridges already.
Maybe WDET's lack of donations in the recent fundraiser will give them a clue. I only tune in when I can't pick up WUOM in the AM. She really sucks!

Bob

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree when I get out of range of WUOM I either listen to WDET if she is not on, or switch to WWJ. She has been here long enough to start knowing the area to pronounce roads correct and stop putting stuff in the plural when it should be the singular. Erin Nicole on 7 is better than her, and she is pretty clueless.

Gannon

Post Number: 9210
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being a good journalist does NOT guarantee smooth radio delivery and seldom a good radio voice.

Our very own Jelk spanks her out of the league with his journalism, from what I've gathered...and recognizing at least a little of how his brain works, pretty scary the recall he has with politics and quotations...but even he had a bit of trouble on the hotseat, LIVE auditioning for Craig's job...I just considered it minor stagefright.

Hers has been proven over a duration to be a difficulty, and it has turned most I know off to listening to WDET in the morning. So her difficulty is now the station's liability.

I am cherishing the sounds of silence now through my mornings, and that is what they will get from me until things change back for the better.

She might've healed me of my news addiction from 9/11, so there is SOME good to come of this!

I will support them with their HD radio rollout, if it ever happens, but ONLY if they have simulcast of at least four music programs on both channels.

(rehiring Liz and John Penney and Ralph and Chuck and that other Jon, was it Mosier?!, in the process...and soon!)

NO Cheers from my now very quiet loft...so sad what they've done to such an institution.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The glory years of DET were back when Fred Zelenka and Famous Coachman held sway. The station hasn't been fun for several years. I'm not sure who they are trying to appeal to now. Maybe folks who are not of this earth.

Scotty00
Username: Scotty00

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to listen to WDET in the mid-80s when I was a kid. They had children's stories on in the mornings.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button at the top to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: