Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Downriver Forum » Downriver Forum - 1 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fredgarvin
Username: Fredgarvin

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's an Eastsiders and West Side Forum. Should we also have a Downriver Forum? How 'bout it you all from Allen Park, Melvindale, Trenton, et al?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8314
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're ON the west side...if THEY can claim all the way up to 32 Mile in Buttfuckville, we get YOU.

Heh.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 612
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the name they came up with a few years ago that was suppose to replace Downriver?

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro Shores........hahahaha

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3798
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Gannon I think they are more so a part of SW Detroit...

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8320
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh, long as they's gots that W in their major compass descriptor, and they are on the proper side of the Woodward/JohnR divide...they're westsiders.

Goes halfway around the world, apparently.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 340
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need an Allen Park forum obviously. Jams where are you?

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey c'mon, doesn't anyone remember Arlan's Department Store near the Sear's Center in Lincoln Park? That place was the pits. How about Epps Sporting Goods, or The Triangle Restaurant in Allen Park (the best corned beef in Downriver in my opinion).

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember all those and more...how about the Flamingo Resturant...its still there.

would Dearborn Heights be part of the new Metro Shores...?

How about that little burger joint at the foot of Southfield Rd is it still there...

regards

(Message edited by chuckles on February 12, 2007)

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3662
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...or the Stonehenge in River Rouge, the Hudson's in Wyandotte, Lofton Greene's dynasty, Hans Prechter's empire, the canals of Gibraltor...

Downriver, to me, always meant south of the Rouge River and south of the I-94 - the 4th corner of Detroit -- Easide - Westside - Windsor and Down River. I never heard that area referred to as the westside.

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Lowell for making my point. We're left out of the west side normally.

Born - Highland Park
Raised - Allen Park (Graduated from Melvindale, class of '75).
School - HFCC/WSU
Now living in Indy.

Remember Starvin'Marvins, Subi's and The Lamlighter Inn? That should tell you about some of the places I used to hang around in in my youth.

Gargoyle
Username: Gargoyle

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scotty Gall's fish and chips on Fort St in Lincoln Park...LOVED going there as a kid. Bishop Park in Wyandotte was the best park around in those days (50's-60's) except for the one in Allen Park with the old steam locomotive rolled there for the kids to play on; don't know the name of that one. When your windows were open in the summer you got tons of grit in the house from all the industry, and if the wind was right you could hear the cars and announcers from Detroit Dragway. Lots of nights at the Ft. George drive-in, the Michigan drive-in, and Bob-Jo's Frozen Custard stand. Good memories.

Cushkid
Username: Cushkid

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waking up to them blowing out the stacks at the Trenton Channel Power plant. Growing up half a block away from Elizabeth Park was like having the worlds largest back yard.

(Message edited by cushkid on February 12, 2007)

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the park that had the steam locomotive was Champaigne Park (sp?)?

Innercitydoc
Username: Innercitydoc

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ecorse in the house! Anyone remember Johnny's Nursery on outer drive?

Gargoyle

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are most likely correct, Rick. My father was superintendant of the DT&I RR when they were converting all their engines to diesel. They donated one of the last steam engines to the park. They had to lay some track from the closest spur into the park to get it in there, then the DT&I guys stripped it of its workings and built some steps up into the cab. As a spoiled 4 yr old I got to ride in the engine with my hand on the throttle all thre way to the park. Ah, the perks of being the boss's only child. I have fond memories of blowing the whistle and waving to the crowd, but not much else.

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SPARTAN ATLANTIC RULES!!!!

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Garg and Innercity, both of you have some great memories. Also in AP was the park at Southfield Rd that had the giant rocket ship slide. Great fun in those days. AP had a great park system, and little league. I also remember Bob-Jo's in Trenton (my wife's from there) as well as Johnnie's Nursery. We lived close to there, so that's where we got all our flowers, fertilizer, etc.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Growing up in Wyandotte I had always considered us part of the East side simply because you couldn't go any further east without falling into the river. Then I joined the forum and was subsequently corrected. And re-corrected. Then corrected again.

Now I don't think downriver can be considered west or eastside. Here is my theory (and by all means please correct me). The downriver communities were already alive and well before, during, and after Detroit's heyday and white flight. They haven't changed all that much in the last 60 years compared to other Detroit suburbs. They were real, recognizable, self-sustaining communities with neighborhoods and downtowns and all that stuff (at least back in Wyandotte). The families that live there have been there for 4 or 5 generations and they identified with living downriver, not necessarily Detroit. Hence the lack of affinity for eastside/westside labels. On the other hand a lot of the northern suburbs didn't experience their growth until the onslaught of white flight. The people beginning to populate these areas were coming from Detroit and already had their own notions of east vs. west that they brought with them. Does that make sense? This isn't to say that the traits I described of downriver don't exist anywhere in northern or western suburbs. I'm generalizing.

I have heard some SW Detroit pride downriver. Some of the older folks around here have great stories of hanging out in Delray with the gypsies (not meant to be derogatory, my grandma's words and she called herself a gypsy) . But I've never heard anyone claim eastside/westside status while I lived there.

Metro Shores? Did they tell downriver about this? Someone should really have put a sign up somewhere because I totally missed that suggestion.

Gannon, LOL, I HATE that intersection. Arguably Metro Detroit's worst.

(Message edited by saintme on February 12, 2007)

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downriver is Downriver, always has been, always will be. It grew as a seperate enclave.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4757
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maury's
Brush and Pallette
Cork and Bottle

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jams, I was thinking about Maury's the other day, but couldn't remember it's name since it went Irish on us. I had my 1st legal beer in that place. Used to be one of my regular stops. Also hung out at Long Tom's on Roosevelt as well. Used to bowl across the street. In fact, bought my Melvindale Varsity jacket at Park Athletic right next door. Man.....what memories.

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 341
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How about that little burger joint at the foot of Southfield Rd is it still there...

Carter's? On the corner of Southfield and Outer Drive?

FredGarvin, are you thinking of Quandt Park? That's in LP.

Lamplighter Inn, a perfect place to spend the night after a long night at the venerable Atlantis Lounge.

Wilderness
Username: Wilderness

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[quote]Arlan's Department Store near the Sear's Center in Lincoln Park? That place was the pits. How about Epps Sporting Goods,[/quote]

Bought an Isley Brothers album at Arlan's in the junk display for 99 cents that wasn't a popular seller, however one of the best albums I've ever had.

Still have a nice two-room tent that was purchased from Eppps ;)

Wilderness

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We need an Allen Park forum"

How about "The Chatterbox" ;)

Wilderness

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Starvin'Marvins"

The former Marvin's now a big soda pop store ;)

Wilderness

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"How about that little burger joint at the foot of Southfield Rd is it still there"

Carter's.
Haven't been there in a while.
Not sure.

Wilderness

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Champaigne Park"

The railroad tracks adjoining Champaigne Park still has those cement arches from electric trains.

Wilderness

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"SPARTAN ATLANTIC RULES!!!!"

Only reason that place was built there was because the former Reiner Lumber had a large fire.

Reiner relocated just off Southfield on Howard St (what "might" referred to as the service drive for I-75 in that area).

Wilderness

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Until the very early 60's and on the very east edge of the Lincoln Park Plaza (and directly next door to the Purple Martin gas station) was a pizza joint known as Collorazzi's (sp?)
What I'd give for a piece of that pie today.

Damn! Drooling all over my keyboard!

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talk about good pizza in Lincoln Park, how about Peppinas? That was the best. It tasted really good after an MHS basketball game on a Friday night. They were located on Dix near Outer Dr.

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marvin's is a soda pop store? Whathehell? What's this world coming to?

Sailor_rick
Username: Sailor_rick

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of my earliest recollections are of the factory whistles from Wyandotte Chemical, a few blocks away from my grandparent’s house on Pine Street in Wyandotte.
The smell of sulphuric smog actually triggers pleasant memories.

My great grandparents lived in the “big” house on the corner and built and ran the “corner” store for years after emigrating from Germany.

I remember they sold penny candy & you’d get your pop, red of course, for a dime from a coin operated cooler

“Kramers” was an actual corner bar that was once a German Workers Hall. There was a dinky grey asbestos-clad “Egg Depot & Dairy” across the street.

I’m amazed & thankful that so much remains, if even in an altered form. So much has been spared the devastation of “progress for progress” sake.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never understood why downriver got such a bad rep. The neighborhoods are some of the best and still well in tact. Strong commercial corridors, and lots of downriver pride. I think downriver is great. I may not live there but I have been there quite a bit. I really like Wyandotte, Allen Park, Gibralter, Melvindale, and Lincoln Park. I wanna let you guys know that I will always stick up for downriver even though I dont live there. Allen Park has the finest collection of brick homes in SE Michigan I say.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe I can relate because Macomb county is always looked down upon by Oakland and west siders

Jams

Post Number: 4767
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing I find rather funny is the acclaim Calder's Dairy is receiving since it started selling at Hirt's in Eastern Market at a premium price compared to their own store on Southfield in Lincoln Park.

I went to school with the sisters, Kathy, two years older than me was my Debate Team partner for my Sophmore year, Carole, my classmate, I heard lives at the family farm in Carleton.

They recently advertised a route opening for a milkman delivering to homes. Made me pine for the days as a kid when I grabbed those glass bottles from Wayne Creamery out of the milk chute and poured the cream on top onto my oatmeal before school.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fredgarvin, I think Peppina's Pizza on Dix burned down a couple of years back. Did they ever re-build?????

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 342
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They rebuilt and named it Hobnob's, but that place burned down also.

The best ribs downriver are right down the road... Zukin's.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 202
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Also hung out at Long Tom's on Roosevelt as well. Used to bowl across the street. In fact, bought my Melvindale Varsity jacket at Park Athletic right next door. Man.....what memories.

All of those places are still there. From Southfield to Allen/Ecorse - on the same side of the road - it goes Roosevelt Lanes, Park Athletic, Long Tom's. I've never seen any cars at LTs, though, kinda surprised that it stays open.

quote:

Lamplighter Inn, a perfect place to spend the night after a long night at the venerable Atlantis Lounge.

Deliverin pizza for that area (and the rest of Melvindale) was certaintly fun. I can't believe how much Dix resembles US-12 in parts of Dearborn (Hgts) and Canton with all the motels.

Anyone remember the Daly Drive Inn on Beech-Daly just north of Van Born? Might have a pic of it somewhere.

Caquail
Username: Caquail

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in Trenton, this thread has brought back a number of memories. Going to the A&W in Downtown Trenton and having a picnic lunch in Elizabeth Park, the pony ride concession in the park. Shopping along West Jefferson at the Mulias & Ellias Department Store, still have the front page of the Trenton Times from when Mulias & Ellias burned to the ground in October 1987.
So many memories.

Regards
C.A.Quail

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember my grandma taking me to Bob Jo's for frozen custard. My grandma on the other side of the family owned the Wabeek Tea Room. We used to sit on the roof of her house, which was right next door to the restaurant, and watch the 4th of July fire works they had over the river. We lived in Wyandotte on 2nd street just down from the RR tracks. My sister and I used to go down to the tracks and catch polly wogs in our dress skirts in the puddles that would collect around the tracks. WOW! I haven't thought of that stuff in almost 40 years. Thanks, Fredgarvin for reminding me and sorry if I've bored you all.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 530
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody's mentioned cruising Eureka on here. Never had a cool enough car as a teen so my buddies and I would sit on a bench on Biddle where Eureka ends and just hang out and watch the other people do laps from Bishop Park to Southland Mall in the late 90's. It was more like people were out cruising to see if anyone else was cruising, but no one really wanted to admit that they were cruising. It was kind of odd.

Grosseile
Username: Grosseile

Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the winter we used to go ice skating behind Wyandotte General Hospital on Friday and Saturday night, that was well before they built Yack Arena and everyone went indoors to skate.

And for Thames, is the Wabeek Tea Room still open, I used to go there with my grandparents (who lived on Poplar St.) for dinner. The also had their 50th anniversary celebration and dinner there.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think the Wabeek is still there. I think it's a funeral home now.

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 343
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Bishop Park is the hangout for all the cruiser people. They park their cars there and show their engines and what not. What's also odd is all the motorcycles in front of The Grind. Bikers hanging out at coffeehouses.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 741
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is Bob Allison?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gargoyle---Is that steam engine still located in Champaigne Park, and /or what ever happened to it?
I hope sailor_rick did not abscond with it. He likes to collect souvenirs.

I have really enjoyed reading this new Downriver Forum, an area that I rarely visited, but is seemingly so unique. The best I can muster are a few enjoyable lunches at Joey's Stables, and I burned my mouth on the hottest/spicyest chili I have ever had in my life at a restaurant down near Wyandotte that had a boat on its roof.

Jams

Post Number: 4784
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speedboat, great burgers as well.

Sticks

Post Number: 208
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Gargoyle---Is that steam engine still located in Champaigne Park, and /or what ever happened to it?

I don't recall ever seeing a steam engine at Champaign Park in my short life time of 23 years. My grandparents have lived a stones-throw away from APHS and Bennie Elementary my (and my parents') whole life so I've been to that park plenty of times. Could always be wrong, though.

(Message edited by Sticks on February 17, 2007)

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember all that too, went to APHS. Someone said that old engine is gone out of the park (could be wrong) and I do think the name of that park was "Champaign" (sp? too). It was really strange to see that huge engine just sitting in amongst the trees. They had it fenced off so no one could climb on it. Thanks for the history of how it got there.

Reading this reminded me of a lot of things around there. Earl Scheib on Dix?? LOL 29.95 total repaint and they painted everything, chrome, tires etc. And the special was 10 dollars worth of free body work..

How about the Ecorse Drive-in? We called it the "Intercourse Drive-in"

My first job was Sveden House All you can eat (Later changed to "All you care to eat")restaurant by A&P.. What a Nightmare that was. It seemed like half the people that came in their had some eating disorder, they ate until... anyways that job didn't last long. It had some funnies like watching patrons jam chicken in their coat pockets for later.

Went to School with John Calder, real nice guy. Their Dairy outlet on Southfield south of Fort is still there and they still have the best Ice Cream around.

Someone asked about the Carters at the foot of southfield, thats been gone for a long time. My Brother and I used to fish down there when we were kids (Mom would drop us off) and then go get burgers at that restaurant. They were really good. The Taco Especiale just up the street is still there and that was favorite by many around.

I remember Starvin Marvins too. Some buddies and me snuck in and most of us were 17, bars rarely checked ID's back then. Man I was in shock. My eyes must've looked like saucers. Like, how can anything this good be so accessible?? Being 18 is going to be great I thought. My how perceptions change.. Still remember the DJ in there was playing KC & the sunshine band, I forget the song though.

I remember Spartan atlantic. Deer season, they had 55 gal drum barrels full of ex-military rifles. They had an $8 barrel and a $12 barrel. The 12 dollar barrel was mostly K98's etc. Buy a rifle, license and box of shells for $20 :-)

Thanks for starting this thread, it brought back a lot of great memories.

Gargoyle

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suppose the old steam engine didn't survive all those years of Michigan weather. It must have become too dangerous to play on if they fenced it off. I hadn't seen it in years but seem to recall that the last time I did it was painted a most putrid shade of pink. That could be an acid flashback, though.

Does anyone recall the tunnel under Jefferson in River Rouge? My mom and her sister used to drag me and my cousin to all the stores on one side of Jefferson then we would cross the street via the tunnel and shop the other side. There was even a public restroom in the tunnel so bathroom stops didn't slow the girls down. We just had to be back home in time to have dinner on for the men.

I think the old house that the Wabeek was in is still there. The funeral home, Nixon's, is a few doors down. While it has gotten bigger, it hasn't moved.

How about Corrigan's? It was in an old white house on a corner a couple of blocks off Biddle near Eureka, I think. My dad would take me along to get carry-out fish on Fridays and we would wait in the bar till the order was ready. I seem to remember some murals on the walls depicting beermaking (?). Not sure. Loved going there.

And a downriver rite of passage was always a muskrat dinner at Dom Polski. Mmmm, mmmm, good.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha No acid flashback.. You reminded me the engine was painted pink at one time, one of the senior graduating classes did it as a graduation prank. Or so thats how I heard it.

Thinking back more on this since yesterday, I believe that old engine is down along 75 in another park (or was). They moved it down there for some reason if I heard that correctly (again). Someplace like Riverview park?

Another great restaurant down that way was Polumbo's Maurys grove restaurant on Biddle down by Northline. That place was great.

Gargoyle

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Mom and stepdad had their wedding reception there in 1971. I still have the glasses they stole that night.

Sibley Gardens is another great spot. I was always impressed that they could keep it going in such an ugly industrial setting. Great food.

There was also a restaurant in an old wooden house that sat next to the railroad tracks on Sibley near Jefferson called the Poplar Inn. It was extremely popular despite its decrepit appearance as the food was just like home. It disappeared sometime in the 60's, I think.

My friends and I used to love to drive around on Grosse Ile and look at the mansions on East and West River Roads. My personal favorite was the Chinese-inspired Ford estate that we called the Pagoda. It had a built-in boat house on the lower level, and a cool little arching bridge to get to the front door. It also had tacky aluminum storm doors and a hideous view of the McLouth Steel mill. Has it gotten any make-overs? What a great house that was.

Maryellen22471
Username: Maryellen22471

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm from Allen Park as well...graduated from Cabrini High. The park that had the rocket slide was/is Cunningham Park. I also remember the toy store that was on allen rd as well. does anyone know what the name of it was?

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 344
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clemente's has the best pizza downriver now that Peppina's is no more. Sauerkraut pizza, what a great idea!

Sticks, did you go to school at AP?

(Message edited by Tayshaun22 on February 18, 2007)

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A toy store on Allen Road? The only toy store I recall was ToysRUs on Allen just east of Southfield down towards Thunderbowl.

How about "Tim Tam and the Turn-ons" Apartments by South Junior high?

I went to school with someone named Gargoyle? Kim maybe?

Sticks

Post Number: 210
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be a ToysRUs on Allen east of Southfield? Wow, I can't imagine a spot for it along that stretch.

Tayshaun, only last two years for HS, class of 2001. Rest of my childhood was spent in Taylor.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sticks, about 2 blocks east of southfield on the North side of Allen. It was a small store and probably one of their first. That was about 73 or so.

Is that Mike and Sylvias Ice cream place still there? It was across from old Thunderbowl. Very popular place then.

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Sstash, I don't remember the name, but do remember going to that toy store to buy slot cars and parts with my friends. That must have been approx '72. Mike and Sylvias was a sub shop in my day. I didn't know they also sold ice cream. Used to sneak up there during recess from Quandt elementary school. That place is gone too.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fred-
Was the name of that store Morris Brothers? Mike and Sylvia's is now just Sylvia's-no more Ice Cream next door, either!By the way, I graduated from Melvindale in 1978.

Sticks-
Who did you deliver for? I delivered for Zukins from 1976 to 1978/9.......

By the way, best pizza in LP was Vito's......

I Graduated from Melvindale in 1978!

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Plymouth, play any sports at MHS? I played BB and graduated in '75. Played for Wes Danyo while there.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya I did! I was never a standout or anything, just a participant. I ran track for Les Millward,
played football for Dale Sawicki and played hockey for AP. Remember Roger Martin or Duffy Lear? Perhaps Rick Charney? I grew-up down the street from Roger. He's now a spokesman for Greektown Casino's. Ah, the good old days!!

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ran cross country for Les my senior year! I played BB on the same team as Duffy and Rick (won Tri-River Championship in '75). I also had Roger Martin in my class. Do you know Norm Tracy? Was one of my best friends.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't Norm have a Camaro Z28?(Dark Brown). Yeah, I new him. I grew up in Princeton Estates (across the street from the Hugh's:Brent, Bob and Carla). That neighborhood and Melvindale have really changed alot from when we were growing up, so much so that when I drive thru now, it no longer feels like home! What a shame!!

By the way, I was there the night you guys won the Tri-River championship! What a party! Burger Chef was arockin'!!!!

Plymouthres

Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fred-

You know the story about Wes Danyo(the next Johnny U!!!)don't ya? He died in a train wreck a few years back. Didn't know if you knew or not?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5544
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown Downriver Wayne County cities.

DOWNTOWN MELVINDALE : PRE-GHETTO LIKE

DOWNTOWN LINCOLN PARK : GHETTO LIKE

DOWNTOWN RIVER ROUGE : GHETTO LIKE

DOWNTOWN ALLEN PARK : PRE REVITILIZED

DOWNTOWN WYANDOTTE : PRE REVITILIZED

DOWNTOWN TRENTON : WELL PRESERVED

DOWNTOWN ECORSE : NO DOWNTOWN

DOWNTOWN SOUTHGATE : NO DOWNTOWN

DOWNTOWN RIVERVIEW : WHAT DOWNTOWN RIVERVIEW?

DOWNTOWN FLAT ROCK : WHAT DOWNTOWN FLAT ROCK?

DOWNTOWN BROWNSTOWN TWP: WHAT DOWNTOWN BROWNSTOWN TWP?

DOWNTOWN ROCKWOOD: WHAT DOWNTOWN ROCKWOOD?

DOWNTOWN GIBALTAR : WELL KEPT UP.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny-
If I had to,I would guess you live in Gibraltar or Trenton, huh? Yeah, the cities are pretty old, but it is still home to alot of good people........

I never really thought of AP as downriver (as it's about 5 miles from the river itself!!)

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouth, I know some people from Princeton Estates. Know Jeff Sovitch really well, as well as the Hollands (Wayne and Lorraine). I normally get a chance to see Jeff if I get up there. He used to be a regular at Long Toms at about 11:00 weekend nights. I grew up on Roger St across from Thunderbowl. Burger Chef in LP was our major hang-out after BB or FB games.

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also knew the Tamsens from Princeton, Dale and Dean. You probably already know them since you were close to the Track and Field program at MHS.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"DOWNTOWN WYANDOTTE : PRE REVITILIZED"

I remember it very well from 30 years ago. It was in really bad shape, the folks down there should be commended for their efforts. A lot of the communities around could take lessons from them. And No I don't live there, but wouldn't mind it.

Sticks

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres, delivered for Little Skeezers (across from the old VA at Southfield and Allen) a couple years ago. Hit all of Melvindale, parts of LP, AP, Taylor, Dearborn, and Dearborn Hgts at that store. You were slingin ribs before I was even born. =)

Wyandotte's definitely the most interesting of all the Downriver communities. I'm surprised a club hasn't been able to stay open anywhere on that strip. I think there was an underage club open at one point in the 1990s, though.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres,

Did you work with a guy named Frank at Zukins back then? He was a good friend of mine.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fred-
Jeff's mom was my school yard mom during elementary! She was such an awesome lady to all us kids back then. Does Jeff still see George Daniels and those guys? Sounds like you grew-up near Matt Martin and Paul Pason?
The Tamsens are like the "owners" or executors of AP now! Dave, the oldest brother, is the City Attorney(Just like daddy!) and Dean/Dale are both cops. I thought that I heard somewhere (maybe from Ken Greco, owner of Boomers) that Dean was the chief of police? Can't remember now.
We all grew up together on Hamilton Street!!(Jeff lived on Keppen, I think?)

Plymouthres

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstash-
I love Wyandotte!! Bishop Park was a great early morning fishing spot when I was a kid!! When I turned 18, we used to go to Captn. Ahab's (long defunct!!!)on the Main street side of Bishop Park. That place rocked!!!!!....I agree with Sticks, too. I vaguely remember an underage club there as well...The best part about Wyandotte is their summer Art Fair!I don't specifically remember Frank. The people I do remember were the owner Bob, and Bob Josh and Lindsay, both the cooks. I dated one of the girls that worked there, too. Her name was MaryAnn....Sticks, did you know that the Little Seizures that you worked at was John's Barbershop when I was growing up? He used to let us read the Playboy mags he kept for the "older" customers!!Wow, lot's of memories!!!!!

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Plymouth, I do know that Jeff still sees George Daniels because I ran into both of them occasionally when I was in town. I believe you're right about the Tamsens. I believe that Dean was named AP Chief of police on an interim basis, and I believe that Dale is Chief in Taylor.

You and I must know each other.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the club that was located in downtown Wyandotte was called Streamers. It was closed by the late 90's before I was ever old enough to visit.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fred-
I'm sure we do know each other. How could you have gone to Melvindale and not known EVERYBODY?I'm sure we partied together many times!!! I graduated a year before George's younger brother, Randy and a year after George's sister, Debby. I think, also, that Jeff manages The Links of Taylor golf course on Van Born? Could be wrong, though.
Saintme-
Thanks for the name-I just couldn't remember it!

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The restuarant at the foot of Southfield is still open- as a "Greek" Diner rather than a Carters. There is still a Carters at Southfield and Outer, across from where the VA used to be. Also, there is a similar establishment near there on Van Born and Monroe called "The Giant System." That place is amazing (yeah, I know its my second time mentioning it on this forum).

The bikers in front of the Grind in Wyandotte are there because they are all Christians, Old, and don't drink. Subsequently, they have all convinved me that riding a motorcycle no longer makes you cool. Its nice to see a Strohs and a Saunders now in downtown Wyandotte.

While the Grind was once a fine coffee shop, I now always go to "City Coffeehouse" in Allen Park, next to the dollar show (yes its still running). Its one of my favroite places to hand out, and "downtown" Allen Park is starting to come together and not a bad place.

Heh, y two favroite intersections downriver: Dix and Breast, and Dix and Champaigne.

Sorry, that was in poor taste :-)

Sticks

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tamsen? Of Pagnuco, Kruse, and Tamsen? My mom used to work at Guffy's right upstairs from them and I went to school with Kruse's son for a few years. Small world it is indeed.

Downtown AP hasn't really gone through -that- much of a revitalization (albeit, better than any other Downriver community). They put up a faux-park near Scalici's and new street lamps that actually look good.

As far as incoming business? The only new thing I'm aware of going in is a supposed pool hall on the same block as the Red Fawn. And the Jets Pizza/Browsery building that moved in a few years ago. I really wouldn't count the new Ruby Tuesdays as that's off Southfield. I'm almost tempted to count Top Shelf Liquor as the new management has really cleaned that place up.

But outgoing or revolving business seems to be the norm. The comic book shop went out a few years ago. You have an astrologer, a cafe, and some sort of sports card shop on the north side of Allen, just east of the Harmon Glass shop. Those always seem to switch up tenants or go dark for weeks at a time. The Sec of State building is now empty. The bank closed across the street, I believe. A candy store a few store fronts down from Moro's closed up.

I can't be sure but are they actually going to turn the traffic and parking on Allen into what Park Ave looks like? Because that's a PITA trying to pull out of a spot on a street like that. And because of the parking situation on the street, you can't see around the cars at the intersections that don't have stop signs.

Sticks

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres, maybe thinking of Taylor Meadows? That golf club is on Ecorse just east of Beech-Daly and Lakes of Taylor is on Northline, again just east of Beech-Daly.

Plymouthres

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sticks-
Yes, you are correct sir!!!!!Thanks for the clarification. I haven't lived in AP for over 15 years now, so some of the city stuff eludes me. Once they tore-down the Skylight Lounge, it was never the same anyway!!!My wife refuses to go back there with me, as it's like a high school reunion every time I go back and she's stuck standing around listening to the stories......I hope, too, that they don't turn Allen Rd into another Park Street...
Of course, FredGavin should know the Pagnuco name as I believe he went to school around the time of Ralph, Pagnuco's son! I lived down the street from them growing up!!! Indeed, it is a small world!!!

Fredgarvin

Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouth-
Yes, you are correct sir!!!! I do know Ralph Pagnuco. My "old home" place is Boomers. In fact, the class of '75 normally holds an impromptu reunion there every year the night after Thanksgiving since everyone's back in town to see relatives who never left. By the way, one of my classmates is the Manager at Taylor Meadows.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fred-

Nice to see you back!! Caught me off guard with your post! When you're back in town, give me a heads-up and I'll meet you at the "old home" for a soda or two! I'm sure Greco will get a kick out of seeing BOTH of us!!

Take care!

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're on!

Anyone else on this forum wanna join us?
I don't have anything definite planned yet, but as soon as I know, you'll know as well.

Wow, a "few sodas" in the old neighborhood. Sounds like a good time.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes my friend! It will be interesting to see if we know each other!!

It will be cool to talk about old times and compare notes. We'll bring others, for sure!!

All are welcome downriver!!!

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in Allen Park, class of "74". I remember a rest. in LP called the "Hungry Penquin" I think. Worked at a place called the Camelot Inn over on Southfield rd. There used to be a small Mexican rest. on Ecorse run by an old couple, can't remember the name of it, but the food was great.

Little_buddy

Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sports stars who lived in Downriver. Tom Tresh in Allen Park I think, any others.

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 150
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Willie Horton, on Allen Road

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 358
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kevin Nash from Trenton
Doug Kurtis
Steve Avery
JJ Putz

Little_buddy

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Willie Horton lived in Allen Park!! no way

Little_buddy

Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember the farm over in Southgate that backed up to I-75 off of Reeck I think. Whatever happened to it? Seemed like a great setup

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Hungry Penguin. Specialized in fish and chips, and was located in LP I believe. Prior to that, it was Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips.

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 360
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was the farm that supplied Andy's Farm Market. Schafer's?

Roomseller
Username: Roomseller

Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey all been out of the loop for a while. say a prayer for the VA Tech families, hit real close to home for me here.

on the subject of restaurants, there was a seafood restaurant on Southfield, right hand side heading towards the river. rather high end for lincoln park ecorse or whatever city...great dining though. will look for it next time in town, Mid May.

Little_buddy

Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chunaguns or something like than I think. It burned down years ago if that is the restaurant you are talking about. They had good food.

Roomseller
Username: Roomseller

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it was cunigans i think

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 361
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was spelled Ciungan's.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: