Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Adjustments At McNarney's Public House? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9262
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A forumer who may wish to remain nameless on this one called me late last night with the news that Shannan (and apparently Lisa) have been forced out of the establishment that bears her name.

Don't know the backstory yet on this one, but don't expect the same McNarney's next time you go in.

The same McNarney won't be there.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this gossip or rumor?

Gannon

Post Number: 9264
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little of both.

Posed under the guise of a question.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2286
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is sad and disconcerting news!! I hope that Shannen and Lisa can work things out, so that they don't lose control of this very fine establishment.

Please keep us updated on any developments. Thanks.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 609
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shannon was a great host when I met her there. I am sad to hear this.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know...I've been there once and met Shannon. Very nice, but I had the feeling there was something wrong. She kept saying out loud how it was "her bar," "Nothing like spending time IN YOUR OWN BAR," "I'm the OWNER of THIS BAR," "When you OWN A BAR it's a great thing," "Running your OWN BAR is alot of work," and on and on and on. I had the feeling she was saying it for her own mental stability, and maybe to keep telling the staff who she was. It was a bit odd, but I chalked it up to the quirky, detroit-behavior that I so adore.

Crazy, but awesome.

Wasn't shannon the Bartender at Opus One?

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed that as well Quinn.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2073
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe she was just proud?

Quinn

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dial...I understand that what I said might come off as bitchy, but I'd expect someone who owns a bar to tell people about it and be proud. Heck, I'd be proud, and would probably have a neon sign stapled to my forehead that blinks "Queen," but this was just a little, sorry to use the word, but schizophrenic.

Since this post is about it switching ownership, I was just wondering if there wasn't a problem when i met her, and that caused the unusual behavior.

If she's just nutty, then I actually like her better.

I guess we should all keep this under the umbrella of rumor and not fact yet.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 250
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah...like you can un-ring that bell. I mean, come on, you just called her a psycho sybil and now you want to qualify it under the "umbrella of rumor and not fact yet," whatever the Hell that means. That green genie is outta the bottle Quinnster.

Quinn

Post Number: 1329
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrulez, I meant rumor and not fact about the place switching hands...or Shannon losing it or whatever we're talking about here, not my personal observations of her behavior THE ONE TIME I MET HER.

I stand by my post that I think she acted nutty and schizophrenic, or maybe just hyper-proud, the ONE TIME I met her.

Maybe it was the coffee she was drinking.

If she is nutz, then it takes a nutz personality to pull off all the work to put the place together. It was very nicely done, especially the wood-paneled staircase and the copper bar.

Quinn

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW...what is the latest news?

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 827
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Restaurants and bars can really be a soap opera. The person providing the money usually gets the final say over the script. It doesn't matter whose name is on the door. Does anybody know who put up the money to start McNarney's?

Not a lot of answers, but here is a report. http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070524/U PDATE/705240484/1003

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 216
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That spot seems to be cursed.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 972
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe I just wasted time reading this thread. Wtf?

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If she is nutz, then it takes a nutz personality to pull off all the work to put the place together. It was very nicely done, especially the wood-paneled staircase and the copper bar."

I do believe they inhabited the space after someone else had actually done most of the renovation of the bldg. Not to short what it took for her (whom I do not know) to open the place - but from what I've seen, a LOT of the way it looks has little to do with the current owners. That was someone else's sweat.

(Message edited by ptero on May 25, 2007)

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 934
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I can't believe I just wasted time reading this thread. Wtf?

Yeah, and what's worse is this is probably where the news got its lead.

(Message edited by thnk2mch on May 25, 2007)

Quinn

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hahahah you're probably right Thnk2mch. That's why their story is so ridiculous.

Shannon acted like she did all the work. If I'm not mistaken, there are video blogs showing her all through the process of renovation, etc.

Anyone else see those?

Ptero

Post Number: 123
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No doubt it took a bunch of work but I just quibble about what 'renovation' refers to. Her blogs show painting and discussion about dressing the walls with curtains and wall hangings. Beyond that the work referred to seems vague.

What was already there when she started the job was everything from the copper bar to the finished floors, walls and the various basic rooms she refers to. The place was an operating business on all levels only last Fall. The previous owners are the ones who did a major renovation and created the habitable space. That does not happen in a few months.

I know nothing about the rumors or suppositions about what's going on now. I hope for her that after getting it opened it can be successful for her.

(Message edited by ptero on May 26, 2007)

Sassygirl
Username: Sassygirl

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although all requests for comments are politely refused it is true that Ms. McNarney is no longer affiliated with the pub that bears her name. Shannan and family have enjoyed reading all of the posts in the forum, and wanted to thank everyone for their patronage during her rein as one of the owners of the pub. Quinn - your post was very funny - you're right, it was a combination of nutty and schizophrenic from a 80 - 90 hour work week combined with 3-4 pots of coffee per day and an overwhelming pride in the realization of a dream. Ptero - you're completely correct as well, the major part of the renovation was done prior to opening as McNarney's - the wood paneling, the copper bar, etc. If you noticed in the blogs she never mentioned those items, just how excited she was to have them in the pub. The renovation was really in the kitchen, the back dining room, decorations, menu development, hiring, entertainment, publicity, etc. Although our family feels honored by the interest from the press, it does seem like a silly story - and please know the spark didn't come from the McNarney camp. Partnerships don't always work out - no sense in throwing jabs, so no comment will continue to be the best answer. Thanks again from our family - you'll see us again soon.

PS - Gannon - someone in the house now insists on being introduced as the "sparkling partner". :-)

Gannon

Post Number: 9305
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As IF she wasn't already called that, or better. Gems sparkle in the light...heh.

So, damn, now where do we party with Shannan & Lisa? Is THAT a comment we can ask for?! Just look around every blues stage I can find?

THANK YOU sincerely, for this follow up, painful as it must be.

NOT requesting comment, just venting my opinion (as usual)...

The deeper story is how this land owner somehow benefitted from the LAST 'partnership dissolution' along with this one, at least in building out the space and setting it up as a destination for the RenCen drones.

Rumor has it that the whole schebang will be managed by his twenty-something daughter. I'm totally sure the food quality and service will be right up there with the other higher-end professional establishments. (heh)

They should NOT be able to use the name and enjoy the goodwill fostered through all of the sweat equity Shannan and family put into the place...that is simply wrong.

There is horrible karma in this dude's future IF he designed the scenario to play out this way...the trend doesn't look good for him so far, if he was a similar partner in that quick Currents incarnation in this spot.

Heck, he does it three times and everyone might have enough on him to prove bad intent! At least Shannan has the video proof of all her sweat, there HAS to be some value to that effort!

Cheers.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2303
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Sassygirl and Gannon, for shedding more light on the situation. I, for one, am terribly disheartened at this turn of events as McNarney's seemed to be the kind of place that I would have enjoyed sharing with friends and family for years to come!!! I will find it difficult, if not impossible, to go there again under these circumstances.

Gannon

Post Number: 9315
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is an Inside Detroit meetup on the 20th that I am going to boycott.

Oh well.

I'm with you, Kathleen. Most everything I said was conjecture, opinion, and rumor.

I'll stick to opinion on this from now on, and put some silent protest to work.

There are a few that will applaud that!

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 200
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stopped by there yesterday to watch the pistons game outdoors and the deck was closed, guess they wait for rain. went to karas bros instead.

Quinn

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

!!

Shannon should re-open the honest johns off Jefferson near West Village...that would be sweet!

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 706
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not an "Inside Detroit meet up", John, and it's not affiliated with Inside Detroit except that they support United Way's new program for emerging leaders called Leadership Next, which is being launched at McNarney's on June 20th, with the Brothers Groove as entertainment and Troy Clarke as special guest speaker.

McNarney's was originally chosen in part to support Shannen and her great venue, and I am sad that she is no longer a part of it, but unfortunately invitations had already gone out when United Way was made aware of the management change.

Leadership Next will not be just another social networking group. It will concentrate on volunteer activities, skill-building workshops and mentoring opportunities for those that want to make a positive, visual and lasting impact on Southeastern Michigan.

I think that the people and the purpose (and the free food and alcohol):-) will overshine any negativity conjured up by the venue.

Gannon

Post Number: 9317
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Likely, sorry for the mixup...I've GOT to read those notices closer. Thanks for the prompt correction and illumination.

I am interested in the meeting, very much so, but am terribly disappointed with this new twist.

You have few venues that will fit all these people with room for the Brothers to wave their Groove thang around...I fully understand.

I will have to do much more than flip a coin on this one.

At least if Shannan and Lisa have the backbone to be stoic about it publicly, I am inclined to take it in for the good of the whole...what I may add to your group, if even in my usual guise as grating spoil illuminating the stuff hiding in shadows.

It'd be easier if I get their approval...heh. Not that I'm dredging for public comments. My e-mail address is jjgannon (at) earthlink (dot) net , Lisa, if you get the chance and want to talk privately. Everything said in distinctly agreed upon non-disclosure will remain so.

Cheers, and thanks again Harmonie.

Sassygirl

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Permission granted! Although we are overwhelmed with - and appreciate - the support, please do not boycott the United Way event due to the change in management at the venue. Leadership Next sounds like just the kind of program that the city needs and the folks from United Way have gone out of their way to put together a fantastic evening. Not only is this something well deserving of your support and time, there's free food and alcohol - hell, I may even show up!

As for the Honest John's location - how about Captain's instead? It's right next door... how fun would that be?

Quinn

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sassy, I don't care as long as I can get soused and stumble home.

Seriously. OR how about Harlequin cafe? That would be THE BEST business venture. It's been closed for almost 2 years...yet still comes up on searches. Nothing like falling into brand recognition. Plus, that's closer to my house.

Of course you'd have to be okay with French fare.

Seriously, are you looking for other opportunities?

Gannon

Post Number: 9344
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno, Shannan's client base seems centered on her old employment neighborhood...that Harlequin location is just so off the beaten path.

Captains now...that would be MORE than fun, plus it looks like their sunset viewing potential is WAY greater, I was trying to figure out a way to blow a hole through that RenCen parking structure next to McNarney's anyways...you just saved me a bunch on C4 and engineering fees.

Thanks for the heads up, Sassy, I'm there for sure, long as I'm in town that week.

Got that, Harmonie?!

Cheers, all.

Quinn

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's captains?

Gannon

Post Number: 9345
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next block due east...right across a few open parking lots.

Quinn

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh...can't walk home from there. Sure honest johns old spot is no good?

Damn!

Ptero

Post Number: 124
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Sassygirl and company: Keep on sparkling on!

It has be so tough for things to not work out, especially after so much work. Congratulations on the strong positive attitude we are seeing here. Way to be.

Sassygirl

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are no plans in the works right now, we're busy with renovations on our golf game. :-)

Keep the suggestions coming, we will end up in the city once again soon.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 240
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sure honest johns old spot is no good?

Aside from the fact that it's dilapidated, would need a new bar, a new walk-in cooler, ADA compliant bathrooms, doors, floor, a new roof, a liquor license, and whatever else a bar needs to operate, it would be perfect! In other words, it would need financial backers, which would be the same exact situation that probably caused this thread in the first place.

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 793
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McNarney's table tops, at least at the booth seating, are way too low -- hit at, like, bellybutton level. Too much posture required! I want to relax when I drink, maybe even slump. ;)

I vote Captains, btw.

Quinn

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know honest johns spot is dilapidated...I just meant no good for them?

I just want a bar closer to home, and as much as I bitched and moaned about the service at Harlequin, I miss being able to walk there.

We do have a fairly decent bar in Rumors, I just can't stand the Karaoke.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.