Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Furthest you have seen the cities skyline « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 438
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was driving down M-29 along Anchor Bay yesterday around sunset and heading east past Palms Rd. near where Bullets old photo 4 is and noticed out on the Water I could see the Ren Cen. This got me thinking of far away locations in our relatively flat region you can see the cities skyline. I have seen it also from the end of Harsens Island and the hill top along Lapeer road just north of the Palace. How far have you been and seen the skyline. Imagine how far we could see a 1000+ft tall building?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4563
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro Beach or the roof of the Engineering school at Oakland U. I have also seen it from the tip of Grosse Ile.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

top of Mt. Clemens general

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4553
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The entrance hill at Stony Creek Metro-Park (26 Mile Rd.).

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 167
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stoney Creek Metropark and from the Ford test track in Brown Twp.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen the skyline from I-75 on either the Rochester or Crooks Rd. overpasses. I know that's not nearly as far as some places people have seen it, but when I was a little kid I was quite impressed by it.

Jeffrey_thomas
Username: Jeffrey_thomas

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

on a cold assed day from the upper silverdome

Cynknight
Username: Cynknight

Post Number: 91
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While driving west on the 401 in Canada - there's a little spot where you can see the city skyline (RenCen) across farmland. (That's how I know I'm almost home.)

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3890
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harsens Island, "Mt. Everest" in Stoneycreek, M-14 near Sheldon Road, above Lake Eire on a NW Airlines flight.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 179
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haggerty Road parking lot at Schoolcraft College in Livonia.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2318
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Google Earth, 42°42'19.21"N 83°11'32.72"W, 35,841.76 miles away, at the top here:

Detroit Skyline From Space

(Message edited by Jimaz on June 16, 2007)

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 558
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

13 mile and northwestern...looks great on a clear day when you go over this small hill before 13 mile and u can see the whole skyline from an angle that makes new center all the way to the RenCen visible, its a great way to get home

Bohemianrobot
Username: Bohemianrobot

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a clear day, 94 East at Wayne Rd.

Wsukid
Username: Wsukid

Post Number: 162
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with the 94/wayne rd. Other far areas during the day along Mich ave between inkster and beech daly . and on the top of the ecorse rd bridge heading toward between Telegraph and Pardee in Taylor.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5648
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just about to say I-94/I-75, which is essentially I-94 and Wayne Road. The first time I ever noticed it was in the early morning on the way to Metro (coming from the west, of course), and couldn't believe it. I think you can make out the tops of the RenCen, Comerica, and Penobscot, but definitely the first two. Is the land there really all that elevated, or is Downriver just that flat in the southwest? lol

Miken123
Username: Miken123

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"On a clear day you can see General Motors" :-)
Anyone who knows what this means gets :-) :-) x2

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 377
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 5:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the first tee at the Orchards. 32 mile in Romeo.

Why
Username: Why

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford & Southfield in Dearborn you can see the Ren Cen. Makes me turn around and go back home.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beck road overpass eastbound on M-14 on a winter's night--- nice view of the bridge all lit up, too. There is also a spot on 7 Mile near Beck where you get a good view.

LMichiga said:
Is the land there really all that elevated, or is Downriver just that flat in the southwest?

Downtown is a 250-300 feet lower than areas like Plymouth, Northville, Novi, and more like 100-150 feet lower than Farmington, Southfield, etc. There is a ridge of high ground that drains via the Rouge River system down to the Detroit River.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 651
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"On a clear day you can see General Motors" by Pat Write. I have seen the Ren Cen from all over town, and have been taking photos. Only problem is, it hardly shows up in the print. I am going to try this again with my 150 mm lens to see if the results are worth printing. But more to the question, I think the furthest would be Harsens Island. Although, it is interesting just where you can see it from: Mound road, top of St. Johns Hospital, and Jefferson at Fisher. And let’s not forget Canada. I remember seeing it coming back from Point pelee, but I cant recall from how far.

Miken123
Username: Miken123

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"On a clear day you can see General Motors" by Pat Write (but its really ghost written for John Z. DeLorean!!!!!!)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can see the Ambassador bridge from the parking lot of Schoolcraft college in Livonia on Haggerty and 7 mile

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 655
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yea, now it comes to me. You say the answer, and then I know it, John Z.

Noggin
Username: Noggin

Post Number: 98
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

M14 just west of I275.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen the RenCen from Mound Rd. at the NW corner of the GM Tech Center.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 66
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The entrance hill at Stony Creek Metro-Park (26 Mile Rd.).

ditto

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 100
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford RD and Southfield you can see several downtown buildings. Also there is one spot on Grosse ILe that I go to where you can barely see it.

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 168
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perry's Monument at Put-In-Bay.

Jiscodazz
Username: Jiscodazz

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warren Rd., just west of Godfredson in Superior Township(between Plymouth and Ann Arbor). Our house was the highest point in the township and we used to be able to see downtown and watch the fireworks from our attic. Though, they did look pretty small.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1584
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from the third level of the Birmingham Palladium 12

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4560
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that Dodgemain wins the prize... from the top of the tall column (War of 1812 Perry's Monument) at Put-In-Bay in Lake Erie is the farthest so far (not counting airplanes).

Bohemianrobot
Username: Bohemianrobot

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been up there to see for myself, but an old EMU student friend of mine told me you could just make out the Detroit skyline from on top of the Ypsilanti water tower on a clear day. She used to give tours of the thing. The water tower was built on the highest ground in Ypsilanti so it seems possible.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5368
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a very clear day from the Taj Mahal in India.
jjaba has been there. But you gotta really know where to look.

jjaba, LOL.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1698
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

While driving west on the 401 in Canada - there's a little spot where you can see the city skyline (RenCen) across farmland. (That's how I know I'm almost home.)

i was going to say the same thing. i think that spot is somewhere about halfway between tilbury and the easter most edge of windsor

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For about six months, I lived in a high rise apartment building, on the ninth floor, in Westland, about a block south of the Westland mall. Does that qualify as far?

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah yes..Put-In-Bay...I have been there..I don't remember being able to see any of the city from there, though.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 151
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a clear day you can see General Motors

wasn't that John Z's autobiography or something?

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 207
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northville at 8 Mile and Center Street near the old Northville High School. On a clear day I've seen the skyline and the bridge. At night I've seen the fireworks. That is a distance of almost 25 miles from the RenCen to the old high school.

Stephenvb
Username: Stephenvb

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen downtown from the GM Milford Proving Grounds, from the roof of a building at the south property line, in late fall/early winter. I haven't researched this, but the locals swear the highest point in Oakland County is inside the Proving Grounds. If you're able to get access to a roof, you can see quite far in any direction.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3897
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not that that far away, but a favorite view of mine is from the top of the I-75 bridge over the Rouge. I go up and up, then voila!, the whole skyscape with Ambassador as foreground spreads out dramatically before me. Whenever I saw that scene returning from a long out-of-state drive, I felt that was finally home.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 987
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"On a very clear day from the Taj Mahal in India.
jjaba has been there. But you gotta really know where to look. "

LOL. That was pretty funny.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 283
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perry's Monument.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can see the whole skyline from the Quicken office in Troy...Long Lake and Crooks.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1334
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somewhere well east of Windsor.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5655
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you really see the skyline from Put-in-Bay/Perry's Monument?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I second that one.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 941
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The top of the Perry Monument is about 350 ft. high and its distance from downtown Detroit "as the crow flies" is 47 miles. In order for two people to theoretically see each other over the horizon at that distance, they must each be at a height of about 368 ft. above ground level (assuming the ground at both places is at the same elevation above sea level). Put-in-Bay is at 571 feet above sea level and downtown Detroit is between 580 and 600 feet above sea level, depending on the proximity to the river. Therefore, if the atmospheric visibility is approaching 50 miles (which is very rare), from the top of the monument one could possibly see the upper stories of those buildings over 400 ft. tall in downtown Detroit poking up over the horizon.

The buildings at the GM Proving Grounds are on land that is 1,180 feet above sea level and they are only 35 miles from downtown Detroit. At that distance, the earth's curvature is only about 200 feet, so with clear visibility, the entire skyline could be visible.

I am pretty sure that the 1,180 elevation at the GM Proving Grounds is the highest spot in Oakland County. Next highest is the top of Mt. Holly, which is 1,170 ft above sea level. Mt. Trombly (which is located inside the Ford Proving Grounds near Romeo) is the highest point in Macomb County at 1,150 feet above sea level.

Newlaster
Username: Newlaster

Post Number: 224
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the 696 walking bridge by 12 Mile and Orchard Lake Road.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 458
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I FOUND IT TODAY! I have an upper unit on Lake Saint Clair near Anchorville and have always wondered if I could see the RENCEN because I can see the 9 mile Tower from my place. Though from my vantage point Harrison Twp is in the way and I could still see the 9 Mile Tower. Today was clear and I tried again to see the cities skyline and there was the RENCEN popping up above the trees. I have seen it from the lake across just water but never over the trees like from my vantage point. I guess I could say I have a lakeview and a city skyline view =)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.