Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » 10,000 Acre Tract « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 222
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Information on the 10K acre tract is difficult to find. ANyone have some information or maps. I know the 10000 acre tract has its own sections as well I would like to see a pre development map. I also love the name the 10,000 Acre Tract

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3782
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pardon your ambiguity, but what are you talking about??

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 668
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering as well. Does sound interesting whatever it might be.

Fareastsider

Post Number: 223
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is the large square in the city center here in this image from Mikem in the Ribbon Farm Appreciation Thread.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it related to this?
http://www.michigan.gov/docume nts/LaborBldg_ExhibitA_Lega_11 3239_7.pdf

Fareastsider

Post Number: 226
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those are just land descriptions in the 10k tract. the 10k tract is a granted piece of land that has surveying lines like the public land system it is just older so it isnt tied into the public survey system or the french claims. I just dont know the details of its origins or have i ever seen detailed maps of it pre development or with its section lines. The link is just the description of some land parcels within the 10k tract. It has its own sections like a general law township but it is seprate from all general law townships.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1782
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a thread about it (last year?), but damned if I can find it with the search. It must have had a different title, than about the 10k tract.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3180
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ten-Thousand Acre Tract was a ten-thousand acre tract of land beyond the city limits at the time (1806), which was granted to the city by Congress (before statehood) after the fire of 1805. Judge Woodward and Governor Hull had to travel to Washington to get approval for Woodward's new plan for Detroit. Along with it, they were granted the 10,000 acres for the purpose of granting new land to those who would lose land in the Judge's new scheme, and to sell remaining acres to raise money for the erection of new public buildings, such as a new capitol building and jail.

Caption within tract reads, "10,000 Acres. A donation from the General Government to the Territory of Michigan for to defray the expenses of Public Buildings."

The area was surveyed and plotted after the war of 1812 and divided into 160 acre farms, which Judge Woodward protested vigorously as it disrupted the extension of his repeating geometric plan for the city.

Fareastsider

Post Number: 227
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is funny that they did not fill in those small narrow strips between the private claims and the 10,000 Acre tract

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3186
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The stretch along both sides of Woodward, from Adams north to the 10,000 Acre Tract, was surveyed and divided into lots in 1808. These were called the Park Lots and varied in size. The 10,000 Acre Tract was not surveyed until 1816 and the reason for it's placement apart from the city is due to the existence of the Park Lots. The first map I posted shows the Park Lots section as a narrow strip, connected to, and the same color as the 10,000 Acre Tract. I'm not sure if these Park Lots were part of the same grant as the 10,000 acres.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.