Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Black members on Detroit Yes roll call! » Archive of Archives » Archive through June 12, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 465
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub Checkin in!

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1781
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check, check, 1, 2, 3...

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 145
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kimistree Checkin in!!

Wilkes36
Username: Wilkes36

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up on the real east side, near harper and gratiot, or deeper still french road and shoemaker. I was ten years old in '74. There were a lot of guns in the area. My grandpa had plenty of rifles, shotguns and handguns, and so did most others. There was gun violence but as a child i did not feel threatened by it. I was shielded by my village, and even the lady down the block my grandma didn't particularly like could send me home with a few swats to my bottom if i needed it. Accountability and mutual aid, yes that help keep me alive and safe during my childhood.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 246
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Updated June 'Black Justice League' roll-call check in.

Honorary Commander, 'Rasputin'

Commander, 'Zulu Warrior'

Queen of State, 'Kimistree'

Secretary of War, 'Blksoul_x'

'Masterblaster'

'Bragaboutme'

'Wilkes36'

'Detroitking'

'East_detroit'

'Cub'

'D-stylin' you are ordered to check in ASAP!

blksoul_atcha!

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 247
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wilkes36 stated....
quote:

I grew up on the real east side, near harper and gratiot, or deeper still french road and shoemaker. I was ten years old in '74. There were a lot of guns in the area. My grandpa had plenty of rifles, shotguns and handguns, and so did most others. There was gun violence but as a child i did not feel threatened by it. I was shielded by my village, and even the lady down the block my grandma didn't particularly like could send me home with a few swats to my bottom if i needed it. Accountability and mutual aid, yes that help keep me alive and safe during my childhood.

'Wilkes36' excellent story!...I am very familiar with that area(definitely Errol Flynn Territory)...

...and I agree, our villages are desperately missing a key element....and that is our 'Big Momas' from next door and down the street and around the corner. Back then, it seemed we (youngsters) couldn't go anywhere without one of our village 'Big Momas' pointing their fingers and directing us to the correct order...that was our neighborhood watch!

To be fair however, todays times have changed due to the invasion of the drug economy (as well as the market economy) that now control and influence the order of our villages. We need strong brave Black Men to began a course to fight the on-going war on drugs, mis-education and Black genocide within our villages. The Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan is on the right path by directing 1 million men to the idea of brotherhood, fellowship, kinsmanship and affinity to promote the return of self-love and collective love to our villages.

I hope his message continues to be in production...we need that kind of thought process in numbers if we are ever gonna turn it around.

blksoul_atcha!

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5808
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yo my bad Blk, had some things I had to take care of during my short hiatus.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blk_soul you don't care about the "villages" or the babies. You said yourself it's OK to steal from them as long as the thief is black, namely Kwame. You said yourself that if a black person calls out a black thief he's a snitch. So if a black person can't stop a black thief from stealing their money without being labeled a snitch, how do you expect them to feed their babies? How do you expect them to feed Kwame's expensive lifestyle and feed their children at the same time?

What you taught us about the black experience so far, is that, it is OK to rape and pillage the "village" as long as you're black.

Go ahead and support your snitching attitude while another child goes hungry in the "village" and continue to preach about how much you "care".

You've made it pretty clear that, you'd rather see a village die and the children go hungry before you'd see the (black) perpetrator causing the misery to be held accountable, because as you preach, no snitching, let it happen.

You are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 248
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Thames' ridiculously stated...
quote:

Go ahead and support your snitching attitude while another child goes hungry in the "village" and continue to preach about how much you "care".

You've made it pretty clear that, you'd rather see a village die and the children go hungry before you'd see the (black) perpetrator causing the misery to be held accountable, because as you preach, no snitching, let it happen.

I'm not sure where the above mis-quotes came from...(you are way off-base)__but if that is what you absorbed from all of my past post...then-so-be-it!

It also proves to the point when I suggested in a past post that 'basic white people' or 'skin folk' have varied meanings predicated upon prior experiences in 'amerikkka'. Perhaps your literal meaning of 'snitching' is more simplistic than the broader philosophical meaning to which I associate the Black experience in hostile 'amerikkka'.

Perhaps you are referring to a point to which I made in a past thread debating the so-called 'Mayors scandal'...Perhaps you and I come from different experiences...I don't know if you are Black or white, to be sure, you have never revealed your race...however by your can-we-all- get-along' ideology, I will say our experiences are a bit different, which includes the identity associated with word meanings.

The 'snitching' I am referring to, is the one that does not allow historical external despise'ers to interfere or interrupt the unity within our existence. The Black identity that is associated within the white experience, often takes on ALL of 'amerikkkas' social faux-pas...while white 'amerikka' goes untouched...and is absorbed as a type of didactic to world 'virtue'__In other words, the snitching institutions of 'amerikkka' has long internal roots, and is manifested through today's social injustices__go figure!

I called attention to the fact that the Mayor made some substantial errors and mis-judgements in his period of time, and in the end, mistakes that may cost him the leadership of this City and ultimately his political career...However that does not justify the on-going attacks, hatred and flat out racism by the media and its proponents toward his personal welfare. It is totally wrong and I base the attacks upon 'amerikkkas' vicious past and hatred toward all Black men.

Even still, no matter the hatred... just as you and I, the Mayor deserves the process of the law called 'due process'...in the mean time, he is our Mayor, and has an obligation to maintain the order of this city.

'Thames' perhaps you have bought into this disadvantage system hold-heartily...and that's fine...but for many who struggle with the day-to-day injustices, we can't afford to continue to buy into the rhetoric and ideology of 'can-we-all-get-along'...we deserve better than that!

As far as the comment, 'I'm part of the problem'...well, thanks for the compliment...as that was an on-going sentiment expressed in many past anti-civil rights and revolutionary movements...so then, I will continue to be part of the problem!

blksoul_atcha!

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 269
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"we can't afford to continue to buy into the rhetoric and ideology of 'can-we-all-get-along'...we deserve better than that!"

I can't wait to get back to work (or anywhere else I spend time with my Black friends) and let them know that WORD has come down from the City of Detroit, that we can not go on with our Friendships as we have in the past?
They (Black Friends) need to learn that I (White Friend) have been deemed Not worthy as a person in their lives.

I do take the blame for not letting them know sooner. I am from Detroit and keep an eye on it from afar, I have however, shielded them from any and all news that relates to them from Detroit.
(Detroit, evidently being the new Homeland, even to the Blacks that have never been there!)

But when news of the BJL leaks out, It will be found out that I have been withholding information from them, and be snubbed anyway.

I also need to inform everyone (outside Detroit) that we can no longer keep lawn furniture or anything else out in the yard? as per another thread.

It's a wonderful service the BJL is doing for mankind, just need to get the word out beyond the Detroit city limits, The rest of the world is attempting to March to the beat of a different drum!

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Blksoul_x, that was some fine doublespeak and jibberish in response to Thames. Michael Eric Dyson would be proud.

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 249
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Asante LT.Commander Detroit_Stylin...and we hope everything is fine.

LT.Commander 'Detroit_Stylin', checking in!

blksoul_atcha!

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 179
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't understand why all these white folks are "hatin'" I just don't get it.

Regarding the violence, I lean toward the "conservative/personal responsibility/less government intervention" philosophy in life.

I believe that the solution to violence starts in each and every household. Within these households, the values of love for oneself and one's family, the value of education or learning a trade, self-improvement, and respect for law and order should be instilled in the child.

Generally, the most optimum scenario to raise a child is a two-parent MARRIED couple who are committed to each other, will sacrifice for each other, and who love each other so deeply that they want to express that love by raising children TOGETHER, nurturing and sacrificing for their children.

None of this well...uh...I'm 19 years old (with no markable skills or education), and I'm pregnant by this n***a who I can't stand no mo' cuz he's cheatin' on me with that grimy ho' that live on such-and-such street.

Kids being brought up in unstable, chaotic environments with little structure and a negligent father. Set up for failure.

Bigglenlake
Username: Bigglenlake

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Masterblaster said
"I don't understand why all these white folks are "hatin'" I just don't get it."

MB- I have been selected as the spokesman for all the white people in the world. I don't think it is "hatin', per se. I think that a lot of white people think that race is very much a taboo subject and should not be used as a rallying point. From the perspective of a white person it appears to be intentionally divisive and separatist. This, from the white person's perspective, is detrimental to race relations and to the city, state, and country as a whole.

Thank you again, white people, for selecting me as spokesman-in-chief.

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 253
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Masterblaster' is suggesting that not only our villages elevate our educational order but also encircle it with a return to a core authentic Black fundamental genetic component...and that is...'it takes a village to raise a child'...

Excellent observation Masterblaster.

blksoul_atcha!

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
Children, especially those in single-parent families, dominate Detroit's population. Baby Boomers aged 35 to 54 are by far the nation's largest age cohort. In Detroit, however, this distinction belongs to young children aged 5 to 9. In fact, people under the age of 18 make up a greater proportion of the population in Detroit (31 percent) than in any other Living City. Most of the city's children live in single-parent households; more than a fifth of the city's households are non-married families with children, but only one-eighth are married couples with children. Over the decade, Detroit attracted few newcomers, and the number of 25- to 34-year-olds living in the city dipped 15 percent.

Bigglenlake

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Masterblaster' is suggesting that not only our villages elevate our educational order but also encircle it with a return to a core authentic Black fundamental genetic component...and that is...'it takes a village to raise a child'..."

One thing no one needs is more gibberish.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 594
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't confuse the issue here with facts, folks. You will be called a racist.

By the way, read Kimistree's response to my original questions regarding the thread in question and you will see what I mean.

In an effort to reach an understanding, I was simply more confused by her answer......

Then I was labeled a hater and "dis-piserer"(WTF?)?

That's exactly why threads like that should nevere be allowed to continue.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1837
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm hear periodically and
I'm still Black; looking for a job.

Kimistree

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, let me be more clear in what I said to Plymouthres.
I believe that black people are an ethnic group like any other ethnic group in this country. And as such should not be labeled anything but that.

Now, with that in mind, (blacks are an ethnic group) would those who have a problem with this thread still have that problem. If there was a thread titled "Who here is German on DetroitYes", would that be a problem? How about French, or Russian, or Italian?

Here is the wikipedia definition of ethnic group:
An ethnic group is a group of human beings whose members identify with each other, usually on the basis of a presumed common genealogy or ancestry.[1] Ethnic identity is also marked by the recognition from others of a group's distinctiveness[2] and by common cultural, linguistic, religious, behavioral or biological traits.

And to add more to my point, further on down the page Wikipedia says this:

In 1950, the UNESCO statement The Race Question, signed by some of the internationally renowned scholars of the time (including Ashley Montagu, Claude Lévi-Strauss, Gunnar Myrdal, Julian Huxley, etc.), suggested that: "National, religious, geographic, linguistic and cultural groups do not necessarily coincide with racial groups: and the cultural traits of such groups have no demonstrated genetic connection with racial traits. Because serious errors of this kind are habitually committed when the term 'race' is used in popular parlance, it would be better when speaking of human races to drop the term 'race' altogether and speak of 'ethnic groups'."[15]

Black people are another ethnic group just like other European ethnic groups.

(Message edited by Kimistree on June 12, 2008)

(Message edited by Kimistree on June 12, 2008)

Bigglenlake

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds reasonable to me, and in theory that should work. But there seems to be an awful lot of "whitey is out to get us" going on in this forum. If an Italian roll call thread kept referring to how the Irish were out to get them then I would conclude the posters on that thread were paranoid and perhaps psychotic. Should I not draw the same conclusion from this thread?

Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whitey can't even live safely or happily in the city, and yet our taxes are supposed to pay for Medicaid, food stamps and rent? Medicaid is available to children up to the age of 18,(possibly 21 not real sure) then they apply for their own aid. Put the thugs and their b'hos to work.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5810
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how many times the Jewish thread has been thread jacked?

Kimistree

Post Number: 148
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it was thread jacked Stylin, it wasn't because it was a Jewish thread.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5811
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know ri Kim...

Bigglenlake

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, whitey AGAIN!

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5812
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SMMFH...

Damn shame it seems Black Folks can't have anything it seems like without the majority's scrutiny.....

Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do more whites or blacks post on this forum?

Isiostar
Username: Isiostar

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside, hey everyone.

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 271
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kimistree, your post #146 is very good, Interesting read and easy to understand. Nothing offensive to anyone!

I have looked at this thread off and on from the start, as I do most all threads, That's how I learn Tolerance and Understanding of all people.

I applaud Blksoul_x for having the energy to keep people involved, If by nothing more then a roll call when the thread is neglected.

But to standby and say nothing when post like

"we can't afford to continue to buy into the rhetoric and ideology of 'can-we-all-get-along'...we deserve better than that!"

are offered, would be unfair to people who believe or know different.

If things and lifestyles are that bad for him in his present location, A move to somewhere else may be needed!

No where is perfect, but some places are much better!

Blksoul_x Writes with a flair and I know he is Smart, But I get the feeling he is stranded in a situation he knows no way out of?

I understand the struggles he is fighting for, People of all colors have had the same fight for many more years then he has been alive.
But I do not believe that in 2008 anybody can hold him back more then himself!

we all under the age of 50 grew up in a time that was different from the rest, We didn't cause it, but our world changed right out from under us.

But we can't throw ourselves a pity party! Get a Dream and find a way to make it happen!

All kinds of threads on DYes from people who have moved and found a life worth living.

The discussion should be, what I need to get ahead, not ,what it is that is holding me back?

Move ahead Mentally and Spiritually, Not behind Politically.

I do not want Bigglenlake's spokesperson job, But I do want to say that All Whites do not hate All Blacks anymore then ALL Blacks hate All Whites, thats just silly.

In fact, White people dislike whites, and Blacks dislike Blacks just as much.(yes you do)

Or any other race you want to use,
It's not about Color, Its about People. Good and Bad are everywhere, But you need to give people a chance and not discredit anyone prior to knowing them personally.

I am sorry for all this gibberish and threadjacking. All I really want to say is I don't see the need for all the wagon circling?