Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Paging Gannon « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8710
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, do you have an opinion on the JVC THD60 home theater system?

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-THD6 0-Integrated-Theater-System/dp /B000P06BO4

Found a good deal on it (not from amazon). My Samsung is a piece of crap, and the customer service is unbearable. It stopped reading most disks almost immediately, and I've read similar from other people who bought it.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1974
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It cant hurt to write the Better Business Bureau.

http://www.bbb.org/online/

Ive had good luck with getting problems solved in the past. And its simple to lodge a complaint online.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14025
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JL,

I don't have any specific experience with that particular JVC system, but it looks similar to others at that price point and JVC has built solid products in the past. I'm disappointed with regards to your experience with Samsung, they've been my previous favorite with most product categories.

Too many of the newest DVD drives are built SO cheaply that unfortunately this sort of failure may turn epidemic...I've watched for years as the pricing eroded on home entertainment electronics, and have deduced where the manufacturers have saved the most.

Not a one of 'em seems to have a quality control department any longer, they've laid off the entire class of employees. Anything less than $500 retail seems not worth repairing...so our trash dumps will be seeing more and more of these 'new and improved' shitty Chinese-made drives.

My very first DVD player finally started giving me problems a month or so ago...it lasted more than TEN YEARS! Not a one of the current players under $500 is built anywhere NEAR the quality of that...some of the $50-class players (or the $500 systems that contain these cheap drives) don't even last out the year.

ONLY buy from a place that has an exchange policy for new purchases that are dead out-of-the-box, and hopefully one that services what they sell.

They won't be the cheapest, but you'll be covered.

Cheers

Django

Post Number: 1977
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it incredible how the manufacturers seem to have it down to a science that they can make the cheap electronics die so soon after the warranty expires. It seems our grandparents still have their old Zenith televisions from 30 yrs ago but you cant buy a tv today that will last 5 yrs. I wonder if Japan has these same problems. They seem to be the epicenter of new electronics. Do they go through electronics like we do, throwing them away as quick as we have to?

Your the expert Gannon, can you buy anything these days that will really last like they used to. Even if you spent $500 on a simple DVD player, can it be trusted to last even 10 years?

Gannon

Post Number: 14026
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It isn't just electronics, they have done it with cars and other items, too.

You can buy a DVD player with more robust motors, drive bearing, power supply...better transport...significantly more accurate Digital to Analog conversion (basically way better sound CREATION, since a digital recording can be declared a synthesizer program and the D-to-A convertor the music synthesizer)...and a way better dealer/support team. I just cannot say it would be worth it for you, given your expectations and budget.

After nearly ten years of hifi retail sales, then another decade of custom electronics consulting and installation...and again another eight years bouncing between hifi journalism, consulting, observing, and simply being a gadfly philosopher...although I can explain the reasons and benefits of spending more, I do NOT fully believe them all any longer.

Some of the most-trusted brand names had runs of horribly manufactured goods in the past ten years...even venerable companies such as Yamaha, Marantz, and Denon have sold models that were simply horrible out-of-the-box. For the record, I attribute most of these to new corporate ownership, growing their marketshare, and chasing after competitive manufacturing in China instead of making it themselves.

On the extreme other hand, one of the best DVD players I've EVER used and reviewed was a remanufactured high-end Pioneer chassis...if you can believe it, a firm called Ayre Acoustics in Boulder Colorado reworks the best that Pioneer can build to push the performance even further than that behemoth powerhouse of hifi research and development.

They sold their D-1x DVD player for $8,500 in mid-level trim and it maxed out at $11,500...depending upon the quality of the video output. The base Pioneer is a $6000 unit they don't even bother importing to our shores, and yes...the Ayre kicked it's booty all over my studio. Less video noise in the image, no pesky distractions from the action...smoother motion, more engaging presentation. Lighter wallet.

A Michigan firm, Wadia, makes the absolute best D-to-A convertor in the industry (renowned in markets where they cherish reproduction fidelity, like the far East)...NOT including any form of motorized transport...in a similar price range. Matching transports can run another $3-10 grand.

Could I trust either firm to guarantee and warranty their products for ten years? No way. Might they last that long?! They sure better, but IF they do break, you gotta know your dealer'd be jumping through hoops to make you happy again.

Would I buy something that expensive to play DVDs on in my personal system? Only IF I could afford to burn that cash instead...because the difference between them and the next step down in quality, and another step or two for good measure, will buy nearly a lifetime of software and/or programming to enjoy.

That is an easy compromise to make for most of us.

So...what is the point of most quality for the price? Is this germane to our discussion about all-in-one system purchasing?

It USED to be three hundred dollars for the DVD player alone, spend less and you get junk. BUT, when you add the surround receiver, remote control, five speakers, and a 'sub'woofer...you can see that the previous best value couldn't be found in a system worth much less than fifteen hundred to two thousand dollars.

After those Denons from three or four years ago that all broke too early (and the manufacturer wouldn't replace them for the dealer, only repair 'em!) ? I dunno. I cannot even recommend the $300 players saying I 'know' with any certainty that they will last longer then the $50 CostCo specials. Can't say it with the increasingly rare $500 and $1,000 models, either, although the Onkyo Integra and the higher-end Sony BluRay ones would probably be the most trustworthy. When Denon brings out their BluRay player, it will likely be a contender...unless it is lower than $300!

Have I talked in a tight enough circle for y'all this morning? After another all-nighter, I either need some caffeine or a nap.

Cheers

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8711
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was surprised by the Samsung's issues as well. I purchased that system because of the good experience I have had with other Samsung products. But the customer service was very sub-par, and I've read people have had good experience with JVC's customer service (they called for help setting up, not because of problems with the device).

quote:

After those Denons from three or four years ago that all broke too early (and the manufacturer wouldn't replace them for the dealer, only repair 'em!)

This is how Samsung operates, unfortunately. I was told I would need to send the unit back for repair THREE TIMES before they would give me a new unit. Even though it is under manufacturer's warranty. This is why I'm just going to buy a new one, have the Samsung fixed, and give it to a friend. If it screws up on them, at least it was free.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6435
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, I'd appreciate your opinion on Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Sarah Palin regarding who really selected Sarah Palin.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1827
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a little miffed with Samsung right now regarding the poor design of their HDMI ports; none of mine work due to the ports not being rugged enough. It is know issue that I would hope they have fixed on their later models.

I do love their displays though. :-)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8899
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New question:

If I output from a 3.55mm mini-plug adapter to toslink cable to a receiver, is there loss of quality as compared to using ONLY toslink cable? Will the sound still be in 5.1?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8900
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, same question regarding DVI to HDMI, is there loss of quality as compared to straight HDMI?

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 2050
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just bought a Samsung an hour and half ago. Model ln40a630 40" LCD. The customer reviews look excellent. I was going into the store planning on buying the 42" Sony Bravia,but settled on the Samsung because of the 120 hz refresh rate. More info when I get home to hook it up.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 2051
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, if you're outputting the audio separately is won't matter, but I was just talking to someone who used an HDMI-DVI adapter and said that the DVI won't support audio like the straight HDMI. He said the video quality is excellent, though.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8906
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's good news about the DVI to HDMI. The audio I already figured would need to be separate, which is where question 1 comes in. My source claims to have digital optical audio, yet has the 3.55 mini port as an output rather than a toslink, which I don't understand.

(Message edited by johnlodge on October 14, 2008)

Gannon

Post Number: 14457
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG, sorry JL, I missed most of these questions...oh, wait...they're all from TODAY?

As long as the TOSLINK says in light form there is NO difference with that wee adapter, as long as the electric to light convertor is doing it's job, meng.

The hole looks like a standard 1/8th inch headphone jack, but it is also a digital output, fucking genius as far as I'm concerned...I think Apple forced it with their 3rd or 4th generation iPod. You use a simple adapter that takes the squarish TOSLINK down to the 1/8th inch round hole, nothing to it.

DVI and HDMI 'speak' the same quality video signal, digitally...HDMI merely introduced a smaller format plug (that DOES indeed suck, yet another engineer I'd love to meet and have a long talk with, along with that MF'er who first drew up the 'F' connection for cable and antennas and the Sadist who invented the s-video connection!) AND more robust anti-copy circuitry that I simply won't comment on except to say I NEVER want to meet any of those mythical Hollywood attorneys who forced this sort of thing on the masses...along with those shitty FBI buzzclamp warnings at the beginning of all our movies nowadays.

There IS audio through DVI, but it is very likely NOT enough bandwidth to support the latest surround sound formats...but if you parallel the digital audio connection to your receiver everything should work perfectly if you don't have HDMI inputs on the receiver.

HDMI has it's own issues as well...we're on version 1.3 now, although by the time I click Post this Message we might be obsoleted into 1.4 already.

Unless this problem's been very recently corrected, if any portion of your system is 1.1, it all acts like 1.1...even if it is merely a cheap cable! Most manufacturers were not telling if their wires were 1.3...although in the past six months or so I've seen marketing that indicated if they guaranteed full support of the latest version.

It is fucking INSANITY...keeping up on all this damn stuff...I was just telling the barkeep at the Old Miami that even I had to go with legal pad and number two pencils for a while this past year due to technology malfunctions (and a total resistance to 'just buy new and throw the broken one away' that seems to have infects ALL variants of electrical equipment in the past five years!).

I'm still happiest with that old legal pad/pencil...and my old Taylor guitar...gravitating away from home entertainment electronics unless I can finally get this on-line magazine launched that I've been dreaming about for years.

The proposed name? AudioVideo INsanity. Because that is what 'we' sell the masses, not entertainment...we make y'all crazy instead. Go ahead, juggle those remote controls...see if you can get the system to work all the time.

Then tell me if your non-technical significant other can use it when you're not around...hell MOST people don't even KNOW if and when they really get High Definition through their telly! (they all insist they've got it, until I flip all the right switches in each box's setup menu, and make certain the installers used the best connections, which is USUALLY not the case! Then when they finally see true HD on their own sets, calibrated so they look loads better than in the store, their expressions are priceless!)

Who wants to help me launch this thing and hammer my industry a wee bit?! It is one of the five business ideas I want to launch downtown this year to create a cool hundred jobs...

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 2053
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I picked up about 25 extra cable channels with the HD tuner on the Samsung. Fucking sweet. I almost didn't go back to work. Now I need to get a PS3 and a HDMI cable so I can watch Blu-Rays. I haven't even tweaked the picture yet and it's still amazing. I don't see myself leaving the house this weekend.

Gannon

Post Number: 14464
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 4:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On their first (and maybe later) generation sets, if you stopped the channel assignments before the tuner deleted the ones you didn't pay for, you got many more channels than you deserved.

I did it on one because I simply was frustrated that the scan was taking SO damn long...and discovered a whole series of numbers that were obviously some deeper code, certainly NOT the same as in the guide listing, so while it was a total pain in the ass to find what you WANTED to see...it was as much a total blast to just surf for fucking forever.

HD imagery will do that to you...Cheddar, do you have access to any DVDs with test patterns on 'em from work? If not, I'll get one to you...all the standard SMPTE stuff that you're used to in the studio. Tweak heaven...and I know you know what the image is SUPPOSED to look like! I'm still waiting on the BluRay version from my mentor, but he did put out an entry version that I haven't picked up yet...didn't figure it would be THIS long a wait for the full one. (plus, I've got my Quantum Data signal generator that does any output rate, so it is easier to calibrate a full set of inputs with patterns I know by heart)

First thing (not for you video professional you, but for video novices), turn that damn thing OFF of Vivid or whatever they call their in-store retina-melting mode...same with those Sonys and the rest...they ALL play the damn showroom floor demo game, trying to appeal to our initial reactions instead of providing the MOST accurate picture.

It seems reality is, um, not exciting enough to send people rushing to the cash registers...been that way with speakers, processed food, and other things that directly appeal to the mere human perceptual machine for as long as I've noticed.

We like MORE MORE MORE without ever considering when enough is enough...with TeeVee it is peak white level, or image brightness (although it has always been controlled by a knob called contrast, and the one marked brightness affects the BLACK level, don't get me started on early NTSC decisions). Speaker, it is volume...processed food, salt and sugar...we never know when enough is enough unless we pay specific attention to fatigue or sensory overload.

Cheers!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8907
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, I will have to try this out then!

Follow up on the receiver that started this thread, works great, way better speakers than the Samsung, way more I/O options than the Samsung. A lot less "plug and play" as you tend to have to configure for each device, but for a geek like me that's just part of the entertainment.

Gannon

Post Number: 14472
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, just go on with your bad self then, encouraging the uber-geeky engineers in the industry to keep making the stuff so damn tough to use for the everyperson. (heh, but it guarantees work for me)

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 2055
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, if I were going to go that far, I would probably just bring my TV into work and hook it up to a scope. Burning a disk with bars would be a good idea, though. I think I can get it pretty close by eye, though. Hell I could not touch it out of the box and it would be satisfactory. I'm watching all sorts of programs I never would have considered watching before. I never thought watching spiders fuck could be so interesting.

Gannon

Post Number: 14495
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heya, it beats punching oneself...yanno...but arachnid porn is a new one...those featuring Black Widows are snuff films, too.

Unbelievable what they'll air nowadays...570 channels and nothing on but spider copulation in high definition...I may have to use that with a column in my new magazine, I'll give you credit of course!

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 2057
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd probably watch people punching each other in the crotch...if it were in HD.

On topic, my GF wants a Bose surround sound system. I don't want to pay that much, though.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8916
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's pricey. My ears are not worth that much money.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 2058
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine that has one says the big seller is that Bose speakers are guaranteed to never blow. While that is cool, can't I just get speakers with fuses?

Gannon

Post Number: 14497
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me save you from wasting money...are you down in the city anytime soon?

I'll give her a demo so she can learn what good sound is...then use that as a benchmark to find something decent.

I hear JVC has a nice system for the money...heh...but I'd be searching out Craig's List and Pawn Shops for great deals on used stuff that will probably be made better then the newest...and as far as I'm concerned, nobody needs any of the latest surround formats.

Dolby Digital 5.1 or 7.2, DTS, and Dolby Pro Logic II are the basics, and dialed in correctly can truly be dazzling...with two identical subwoofers, the best damn center speaker you can afford, then matching fronts and rears (with two pair in back if you can stretch the budget)...a good 7.2 array and that's all the speakers you'll EVER have to buy. Then a great unified remote control, I'm fond of the Universal brand...well before one of my best friends went to work with them!

I'm truly beginning to hate my industry for what they do to people with all of these constant changes and 'upgrades' where the old stuff gets junked.

I just visited the website of my old hifi magazine gig in LA last night for the first time in a l-o-n-g while, and read SO much crap from my really great old boss and a few good old friends to realize that I've really not missed anything worthwhile in my time off on this semi-sabbatical.

Just new headaches with connections, as we discussed above...LCD kicking Plasma's inefficient ass enough to make two major players kill their manufacturing plants...we're FINALLY getting LED backlit LCD panels and projectors (more than five years after Phlatlight brought their scalable columnizing LEDs to market)...but mostly is all the same confusing bullshit on the same damn technology treadmill.

It truly is AudioVideo INsanity...induced into anyone who dares try to buy any new entertainment technology. I meet the refugees and addicts all the time...all made insane by my beloved industry.

Cheers, enjoy that stuff...

Gannon

Post Number: 14498
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, in my twenty-seven plus years in the industry, I've NEVER known a single salesperson to own any Bose products. And we can get them for CHEAP...anyone who spends any time around good hifi realizes that they are one of the best marketing firms in the world, and have convinced the masses that they are the whip!

(I loved it when their two biggest celebrity salespeople were that loudmouthed radio pundit who VERY publicly went DEAF due to his OxyContin abuse, and one of the oldest men in radio...Paul Harvey, who simply cannot have much of his hearing left!)

To some, they are guaranteed to ALWAYS blow...but I think we might be using that term slightly differently!

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 2060
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I was trying to tell my GF. I could put together a great system with a JVC or Yamaha tuner for a few hundred dollars as opposed to a thousand (or two). Of course she thinks that just because Bose and Sony are big names, they are better. Silly girls.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8917
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought my JVC as a refurb, which brought it into the range I was willing to pay. I don't worry too much about refurbs as long as they still give you a year warranty. And like I said it sounds great so I would recommend it! But I'm not a pro. So maybe check out refurbs if you can find some.

Gannon

Post Number: 14499
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It ain't just the girls...those are two of the most recognized brand names IN THE WORLD.

In a reasonable sized room, I'd buy a set of five or seven IDENTICAL mini-monitors from a reputable British or East Coast US manufacture (not named Bose although I am also quite fond of NHT and that Chinese-made Rocket and ELT525 monitor families from AVC123.com, available only on-line)...or six with the mack-daddy of center channel speakers from the same manufacturer...and two subwoofers in the front corners of the room...then an inexpensive receiver and upconverting DVD player or even a changer that will also handle the CDs you've got lying around...and be done with it.

You can usually find used NHT Model One or 1.5 speakers pretty inexpensively, and they are easily some of the best sounding little monitors available!

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had several Bose speakers go out on me, but they did last a while.

I'm currently using Polk Audio RM650s in 5.1. They are doing the job based on the occasional noise complaints I get. :-)

Gannon

Post Number: 14527
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, neighborly distortions cannot be an indicator of performance quality, only quantity!

That said, I've liked most Polks I've been near...after they quit that silly double-driver hologram stuff before surround sound went vogue.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8925
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Celestion makes home audio speakers. I believe they are guaranteed for life, at least they were back when I bought my guitar amp.

Gannon

Post Number: 14532
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa, nelly!

There is a w-i-d-e gulf of difference between those two designs and applications, JL.

Celestion HOME speakers, like ALL British ones that I've encountered in my duration, are designed for extreme detail and will reveal the distinct layering of an 'image' that appears between a well setup stereo pair of 'loud'speakers. They almost ALL are designed for reasonably-sized rooms, and when placed correctly have fucking amazing bass for their cabinet size, because the British have become masters at incorporating the room into their sound reproduction.

That is tough, because NO speaker designer can know what YOUR room is like! The BBC's research is still the benchmark for both studio design for sound production 'capture' perfection and reasonable in-home reproduction performance...and it's stood the test of well over thirty years of technological 'advancement'!

If you think ANY home speaker can avoid being blown up by the heavy distortion high-output of a modern amplifier driven past it's linear output...you are sadly mistaken.

NOW, for the mostly (unfortunately) deaf musicians who populate our stages without knowledgeable sound guys...they need rugged, 'bullet-proof' designs that can handle being over-driven.

Indeed, heavy distortion is a character welcome to many electric guitarists...modulating IT is a true art form...even from relatively deaf but gifted people!

So...yeah...there can be NO comparison between the two designs and applications...just like you wouldn't use two guitar boxes to master in the studio (I surely HOPE).

Get down to my Eastern Market studio, lemme show you what real home audio should sound like...now I've got to hook up the BIG system again and get my sub amps fixed.

Ain't nothing quite like having those 4 12-inch SEALED CABINET subs, each driven by their own 200-watt amp channel, connecting with my large loft room...I'm amazed I've forgotten how cool it is, but now that the building is fully occupied I may never get to really exercise 'em again!

Indeed, in my enthusiasm showing off when I discovered how well they worked, I blew up three amp channels...smoked the shit out of 'em...making them exactly two of the five amps I've EVER blown in my extensive career, and one of those was from a simple crossed speaker wire!

Cheers

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8926
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So all Celestion speakers aren't guaranteed for life? The thought hadn't occured to me that someone would do something as dumb as hook home theater speakers up for their music equipment, but I suppose that could destroy pretty much anything.

Gannon

Post Number: 14535
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um...any amp can destroy any speaker with the right application twisting the volume knob towards that ever-elusive eleven. Warranties notwithstanding, those are merely marketing tools...NOT indications of product quality in any way or form.

I wasn't talking about overdriving home stuff with pro stuff...even a shitty 50-watt rated home amp is fully capable of putting out GOBS more power...but heavily distorted.

That FTC power rating merely made the amp designers say the whole package: "W watts per channel driven into X ohms resistance/impedance from Y to Z frequency range", instead of selectively quoting ONLY a very misleading portion of it.

AND subsequently, power handling ratings of speakers can be derived from at least three official ways...and the manufacturers only publish (usually) the one that shows the highest rating, even it is NOT useful to show truly how rugged the speaker truly isn't.

It is the rare speaker company that publishes a full power handling spec...like using MUSIC instead of steady-state or peak test tones, driven into 10% distortion, over a certain period of time.

It is complex, but basically you simply cannot use ANY power spec to compare products in either the amplifier OR speaker category...and any speaker WILL fail given enough lunkheadedness from our increasingly deaf population!

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, know anyone who might be interested in a pair of Bozak Century speakers (I bought them circa 1973)? I can't use them with our living room setup here. I imagine the freight on those big boys might be prohibitive.

(Message edited by jiminnm on October 16, 2008)

Gannon

Post Number: 14556
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim,

Never underestimate the fervor of a serious enthusiast.

Bozak folks are a special breed, and if they find what they want...no cost is too much.

That brand is in a very special class of the classics...but you need to sell them through the proper channels in order to get the right price for them.

Joining up with an on-line reselling site that specializes in hifi would be the way to go...my favorite by far are the Audiogon folks, who happen to be out in Ann Arbor...then next might be the wild guys at Audio Karma. Again, oddly headquartered near Detroit.

Both have forums that draw specialty collectors of vintage gear, and you've got the vintage of vintages.

Have you done any searches on the name to see if there are any other pockets of potential interest?

I'll ask around over the next few days and see what we can rustle up for you.

Just don't imagine that first hurdle to be an unbeatable obstacle...heh!

Cheers

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, Are you working at Eph's tomorrow?

Thanks,
Stromberg2

Gannon

Post Number: 14737
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there from noon until five, but may be downstairs getting the phone/intercom working.

Histeric will come find me if you want to chat.

Cheers

Stromberg2

Post Number: 136
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to meet you today, hope to get together soon!

Stromberg2

Gannon

Post Number: 14748
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big fun, thanks! Great to have another 'tangible'!

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 340
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon:
Does all of the above tell me that there are better ways and means to listen to recorded music?
Does it mean that I no longer have to crank/windup my old RCA Victrola to play my 78's?
The one where I have to keep sharpening the steel needle so it will stay in the groove, for a little while?
I wish people would tell me about these new fangled improvements.
Don't laugh now. Remember I spent 21 years in the Hiawatha Forest where there is no such thing as electricity. A "wind up" was just the thing!

Stromberg2

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, Did you say on another thread that Ephs is having a party on Saturday? I'd love to pop in and say High!

Stromberg2 (Dre)

Gannon

Post Number: 14955
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Strom,

Actually, there is a small party booked for the back, and I'd love to have some of my favorite regulars up front to share the mood. Foran's has a carry-out license, although we've got to figure out a way to handle the gradual accumulation pint glasses!

Not sure what special thing I'll be doing...but for those stuck downtown over the weekend I merely wanted them to know they are welcome to drop in. I really appreciate the support we've gotten from the forum folk.

You are obviously on that 'short' list, too, sorry I made you ask!

I just noticed I never responded to Tponetom above...weird.

Tp, there is a very wide range of quality playback gear...some great inexpensive surprises all the way up to unbelievably outrageous.

I've heard amazing systems built out of things discovered on eBay and Craig'sList for under $200 all the way to a fellow up in Flint who has a surround sound speaker system where the fronts are worth $130,000...rears are $90,000...center is something like $35,000...and each of his two woofers were $25,000 apiece...with associated electronics that are proportionately expensive.

What I've found in 27 years in this crazy industry is whenever you seek an improvement you can find it...but some get addicted to the search and oftentimes become confused whether the latest change is postive or not...but to go BACK to that last system is abhorrent regression! Those folks often nitpick the tiniest things and will seemingly never relax and enjoy, it truly looks like an addiction.

You'll have trouble getting a turntable that will get the most out of those old 78s!

Freaks me out to think of a steel needle that has been sharpened touching anything that looks like a record...but shellac is tougher than vinyl!

Cheers!

Stromberg2

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Gannon, I'll probably see you all tomorrow.

Stromberg2

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7323
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Foran's has a carry-out license, although we've got to figure out a way to handle the gradual accumulation pint glasses!

Put them into a bus tray and walk them back. :-)

Stromberg2

Post Number: 158
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, how did the party go? The roads and my car couldn't come to an agreement, so I stayed home.

Stromberg2

Django

Post Number: 2120
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G. Just wanted to wish you a merry christmas.

Youve been a good friend to me this year and I feel blessed for that.

Have a good one bro.

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 313
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey Gannon, mary, merry!

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 334
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watch out for the changes of the moon, my friend!

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 987
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon- Happy New Year, my friend! where are the wild parties?

Ruxy17
Username: Ruxy17

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Mr. G, will you be at Ephs tonight? I've been meaning to stop by and say hello and enjoy some tasties.

Gannon

Post Number: 8977
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, woman...only I just saw this so you have about two hours! Walk those amazing boots down here and visit a while...I'll put the tea on.

Gannon

Post Number: 8978
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn,

Sorry I didn't get back to you. The end of the year was a particularly dark time for me.

Same to you Stromberg, the party went really well...and I had a piece of five-layer cholcolate cake for anyone who smiled my way. What a mess it made!

We made Bikeforbeer's and his lovely bride's friends pretty happy, from all reports.

Det313grrl, thanks for your patience with me.

Cheers

Ruxy17

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh no i didn't see this in time!

tomorrow. tuesday.

i really really need some corned beef. i'll probably bring my brother along because he's been grumpy lately and nothing cures a case of the grumps like really good food.

Gannon

Post Number: 8980
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grumpiness doesn't stand a chance around me...unless, oddly, it is my own.

What's up with THAT?!

I've got to be up in West Bloomfield most of the day on a huge project that is a day beyond deadline...I'll do my best to get back downtown before too late.

Let me know when you expect to be here and I'll be more diligent checking this thread!

Cheers

Ruxy17

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to head down after work, probably around 6-6:30? don't rush on my account, if it doesn't work out today I can stop in tomorrow...

good luck with your project!

Stromberg2

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon...Great sandwich yesterday, I think you gotta give that a name and #....#59 Stromberg, sounds good to me! Nice talking with you.

Dre aka Stromberg2

Ruxy17

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

text again!

got it the other day, but deleted my inbox before saving it as a contact.

Gannon

Post Number: 8982
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Strom,

That IS a new creation...it'll have to go before the sandwich naming board, and we haven't achieved a quorum yet...heh. Glad you liked it.

Ruxy,
Got it and sent. Isn't technolgy fun?!

Cheers!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.