Discuss Detroit ğ DETROIT CONNECTIONS ğ Homemade digital converter antenna Ğ Previous Next ğ
Archive through December 17, 2008Townonenorth30 12-17-08  3:23 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2837
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been to that site too. The fact that we can recycle stuff for enjoyment that would end up in a landfill anyway, makes me happy. I remember a place on Gratiot, back in the 70's in Mt. Clemens, that was like a Radio Shack on steroids. What was that place ? (And not Ark Surplus, but that was great too).

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 485
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've looked or that wi-fi repeater article, can't find it. If it's on the cheap, maybe can do some good with that and a few cooperative souls.

Can't help with the name of that store, but I'm sure someone knows. I was out that way a lot but I don't remember it.

Bigb23

Post Number: 2839
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The item to grab is the SS expandable steamer utensil that opens like a rose. I have a neighbor that offered a piggy back on his broad band, and I think I can save $$$ on stuff I don't use now.

Bigb23

Post Number: 2840
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember it started with a "C" but not Circuit City.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 486
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That functions as a repeater? Or an antenna to amplify the signal?

Bigb23

Post Number: 2842
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reuse a unused bleed.(Bandwidth). But with others in a network, with permission, you have a "classic" repeater.
Hey, each kick in a few bucks to the "owner", you can have a split signal 3-4 ways.

But Gannon is the "Master" here, as I've read his posts for a time.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 488
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what is the range of something like this? Can a used parabolic antenna like a direct TV castoff be used as well?

Bigb23

Post Number: 2848
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now you have me guesstimating, but if you could get a small parabolic antenna for cheap, it might work. I'm not a pirate, and I have the permission of a neighbor. But with the electronic parts, it will be about 85% of the make up costs. Good luck - thats what Google is for.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 490
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, I've heard that it is possible, will have to check it out further. The one I have used to serve as a Hughes-Net high speed internet hookup.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1624
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yeah, I think it will pick it up. It's picking up 62 quite nicely now.

quote:

also pick up digital 62 right now and don't see a problem in Feb.

OK, these statements have me completely confused. What does channel 62 have to do with your ability to receive VHF signals?

Analog 62 is on UHF 62 (758-764 Mhz) and will be shut off. Digital 62 is on channel UHF 44 (650 Mhz-662 Mhz) and will remain there.

Channel 2 digital is currently on UHF channel 58 (734-740 Mhz). On February 17 it will move to VHF channel 7 (174-180 Mhz). It will be the only Detroit station on VHF. The element that picks up channel 7 would need to be about 4 times longer than the element that picks up channel 44.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14929
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, N, thanks for that.

What a cluster...the whole REASON for this switchover was to free the whole range of frequencies for auction.

Why couldn't they just let channel seven keep that slot, there is more to this story. It is going to nag me.

Cheers

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1626
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know why it's moving, I just don't know what priorities they used to assign the new frequencies. VHF frequencies are the more desired channels. They require less power to get a similar coverage area to their UHF counterparts.

They had to pack in two channel allocations for every station into the current frequency allocations. When the analog channels get turned off that will free up half the bandwidth. Once those channels get turned off the channels can be moved closer together freeing up the upper and lower ends of the currently allocated frequencies. Channel 2 digital (58) currently resides in the band that will be freed up for other uses.

The lower VHF channels are also disappearing. Channel 2's original location will also be freed up.

I don't know how Toledo 11 and 13 got to keep their VHF locations.

Bigb23

Post Number: 2858
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well come February I'll get what I get, and KISS OFF all the advertising on the channels I don't receive. I hope you advertisers read this, and place your ads accordingly.

With the economy failing, and the high cost/customer adverse cable companies increasing fees, than people will just look at that as a luxury they can do without.

I do now, and will in the future.

Bigb23

Post Number: 2902
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies - you seem to have the knowledge of a broadcast technician.
So I have a question you might be able to answer. In this ramp up to total digital signals, do they power down the output for some kind of adjustments or something ? I saw a scroll one time saying that was the case, and it might explain why I lose stations under identical weather conditions, time, etc.
From a strong signal one day, to nothing on the next.

Can anybody fill me in ? And will this cease after the changeover ?

Townonenorth

Post Number: 500
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to a website I looked at (now lost unfortunately), some are operating at less than full power now.

After the transition they will all be powered up fully. explains a lot of the dropping out I suppose.

I also found that NDavies was right about the antenna. While it picks up UHF great, the VHF is not available in it, or it is weak. Maybe a splitter with a traditional antenna hooked up to the one that was built?

Bigb23

Post Number: 2905
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what you are saying is that what we get now over the converter boxes will change yet again ? Holy crap, this is turning out to be a massive buying spree, enriching corporations outsourcing all the work to foreign countries.

And we have no choice.

Thanks, FCC, you're doing a heck of a job.

I'll see what I can find on your info. Thanks Town.

Bigb23

Post Number: 2907
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Town - I found this site, local to our area. But it seems mostly people complaining about cable.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb /showthread.php?t=453486&page= 228

Townonenorth

Post Number: 501
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the scoop on WJBK's swap to channel 7, from the FCC:

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/cgi-b in/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod /cdbsmenu.hts?context=25&appn= 101273963&formid=387&fac_num=7 3123

Same site, if you dig enough, will give you more info. Use the call letters.

Bigb23

Post Number: 2911
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

FEBRUARY 18, 2009
BEGIN POST-TRANSITION OPERATIONS WITH WJBK-DT CHANNEL 7 AUXILIARY AT 15KW ERP POWER AT 242 METERS HAAT AND REACH 87.4% OF OUR PRE-TRANSITION AUDIENCE WHILE WE WAIT FOR SUITABLE WEATHER CONDITIONS TO RETURN AND ALLOW SAFE WORKING CONDITIONS ON OUR TOWER.

Gee thanks, FCC, for really laying it out for the common consumer. Apparently, all the updates we get now are meaningless. This is nothing but a HUGE gift to the cable companies.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3000
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Questions answered here. Too bad what we are used to will be gone.

quote:

My radio currently receives the audio portion of TV channels. Will it work after February 17, 2009?

Radios that are designed to tune the audio portion of analog TV broadcasts will not be capable of receiving the audio portion of digital TV broadcasts. You may wish to consider obtaining new portable digital televisions or radios that can receive the audio portion of digital television broadcasts as they become available on the market.

In other words, stimulate the economy with money that is not there.

http://www.dtv.gov/consumercor ner.html

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2193
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . .

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 959
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I built my HDTV antenna using a flux capacitor. I now receive TV programs from the future!

brown

Bigb23

Post Number: 3069
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great, Ed_ , can you tell me how bad the Lions will be this year ?

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 960
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no future for the Lions.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3077
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to ask Gnome, you did that yourself in the post box ? I saved it as text only.

I collect various forum gems I run across on the internut, and that was pretty good.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3171
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a heads up - I was in a Dollar Store at John R and Auburn Rd. yesterday.
They had a nice selection of name brand indoor/outdoor amplified DVTV antennas and dish enhancers for $25 or less.
Better selection than I have seen at most of the big box stores. And for a $1.00 store, (prices rising), this is one of the best as a destination.

Keenerweener
Username: Keenerweener

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23,

I'll try to translate your FCC Gibberish as best as I can... been out of broadcast since '92 so I'm a bit rusty, but here goes:

WJBK is informing the FCC that they will be able to make the transition target date with their equipment at the specs provided: 15 thousand watts (15kW) of effective radiated power (ERP) with their current antenna mounted at 242 meters height above average terrain (HAAT), and they will be able to cover 84.7% of the area that they used to cover before the transition. If it's OK with you guys in Washington, we'd like permission to leave it that way until all this cold and snow and ice and stuff quits and we can get some steeplejack to shinny up the tower and move the antenna up where it's supposed to be... the way this winter is going, probably around the 4th of July. Oh yes, while i've got your attention, I took a dump this morning... May I get permission from th FCC to wipe?

Keenerweener

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2217
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi I installed my converter box yesterday. Everything works great except for the Canadian stations. I can't get them anymore. I am not a huge TV person. Does anyone know if this is a temporary thing?

Thanks

Townonenorth

Post Number: 717
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your box probably doesn't have what is known as an analog pass through, if what I've been reading is correct. See the link below for a work-around to the box if this feature is not available to yours.
http://www.ezdigitaltv.com/Ana log_Pass-Through.html

Seems to me that all boxes should have had this to begin with.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5515
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DP, from what I've read Canada doesn't have a firm date for going digital.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2218
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My original post was:

"Dammit!!! I went to Radio Shack and they told me that the unit I bought had this feature! I went in and asked for the Zenith DTT 901 and they told me that they did not make it anymore. All they had were these odd brand names.

I was amazed in my research that a Michigan based company was considered the best, even though I doubt that the unit is made here, it would have kept some money in Michigan.

Well thanks for the info. It makes sense now. Now I need to figure out how to fix it."

Then I went to check the remote and saw a button I did not notice before labeled A/D. Its all cool. Thanks for your info. You saved the guy at the local radio shack my rath and me a lot of embarassment.

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on January 19, 2009)

Bigb23

Post Number: 3604
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess you'll have to rescan every so often now, as channel 50 was off my DTV for weeks, and now shows up on 50.1/14.1.

They seem to disappear for weeks at a time, and pop up with no problem, all of a sudden.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3623
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://memory.loc.gov/afc/afco maha/audio/0600/0610.mp3

Bigb23

Post Number: 3624
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://memory.loc.gov/afc/afco maha/audio/0600/0610.mp3

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.