Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Missing: The Wit & Wisdom of Jjaba « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very much missing the banter!

Who else can tell us about the great Mumford basketball teams of late 50s - early 60s...the Dexter-Davison shopping district?

Oy vey iz mir

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1716
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is Jjaba?

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1596
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba has been a citizen ambassador abroad recently, so i'm sure he's been quite busy. i'm sure he'll notice this thread and pipe up though (and appreciate the sentiment).

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2992
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Where is Jjaba?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3911
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As Rsa notes, he's back home after a long trip. I can't mention where he lives, but it is in a state where you are not allowed to pump your own gas, and it's not New Jersey.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His posts can be cocky and sarcastic at times, but he is tolerable...

Lpg
Username: Lpg

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oregon ????????????????

Ray1936

Post Number: 3913
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nailed it, Lpg.

Lpg
Username: Lpg

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936,
Only reason I knew was my wife and I were on vacation in Oregon a couple of years ago. We stopped for gas and when I got out to pump the gas the attendant told me only Oregon and New Jersey have laws that prohibit people from filling their own cars. Don't know why.

Ray1936

Post Number: 3914
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the same experience. Blew my mind! Continued on to Washington state as fast as I could! LOL

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5174
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My little birdies have reported that jjaba has been on important international mission that forced him to be incommunicado and from which we will expect a full report. It is also reported that Pres. Elect Obama is considering him for minister of Shtick.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1718
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I threw up a little over that picture. The Waldo part was totally funny, though. Why does Madonna want to gross everyone out so badly? Ick.

Hope you are well, Jjaba!

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 211
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and the guys loved it...go figure :-)

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2475
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have talked with the mystery man a few times recently. His peace mission was a success, at least Candy Rice has his blessing. However, he has not yet chosen to come out of the closet.
OOOPS! That's not well stated. I mean he will respond to Chuckjav's inquiry at his own pace. Diplomats usually march to the beat of their own drummer. Kissinger never took the microphone as soon as he stepped off the plane. There was always a waiting period.

Lonelycloud
Username: Lonelycloud

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So he was a real citizen ambassador, like the People to People group ?

Tell us more ! Which country did he go to ?

Ray1936

Post Number: 3920
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It starts with an "I". Maybe Indiana.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Issaquah?

It would be foreign, wouldn't it? We pump our own gas here in Washington.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 7619
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba is recovering after an exciting Citizen Diplomacy Delegation to Iran. He was there about 3 weeks. He is home now recovering on the Westside. jjaba went to Iran with Global Exchange, out of San Francisco.

President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad sends his love to everyobdy on The Forum and to Lowell for his dedication to international peace in the Metropolis.

jjaba paid his respects to the Iotolas and Imams who have fantzy shrines at their tombs. We met with leaders all over the country and learned alot about the Middle East situation.

Iran has 70 million people and is 1/3 the size of USA. It is a rather rich country with good infrastructure. Its oil production is second to the Saudis, although they have a lack of refining capacity so gasoline is expensive and there are long lines at State owned gas stations.

Iran produces 1 million automobiles a year under joint ventures with Asian and European car makers. They make Volvo trucks. At one time European Chrysler built the Paykan, a version of the Hillman Hunter out of England. They are everywhere in Iran. The were built from the 1960s into the 21st century.

Because of the USA imbargo, you see few American product names in Iran, pissing away a huge market of 70 million people. The Chrysler story is just one example.

Iranians like American people and most have relatives in USA, such as Los Angeles or Detroit. There was hope for better relations with the Islamic Republic of Iran with Pres. Obama. When jjaba told them his name was Barack Hussein Obama, tears would well up in their eyes. To think that the 3rd Saint in Islam, Hussein, is the American President was too much for many of them.

jjaba, reporting, just back from Tehran, proudly Westside.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1466
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great program, must of been wonderful to see that culture. Many times I have heard that the Iranian people actually like Americans.

I actually have a lot of hope for peace with Iran if we fight intolerance with understanding instead of saber-rattling.

Having hosted State Department guests myself (from Asia and the Middle East), I can say that even that small experience is so worthwhile and really gives you a whole new perspective on the world. I hope to travel on a program such as the one you did at some point in my life and thank you for sharing.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 4088
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome back to American soil Jjaba. I had no idea you were a diplomat working for causes such as these. I have always enjoyed your posts here, but will now look upon them with a new found sense of amazement! For you to have humbled the Iranians by bringing tears to their eyes, I don't know how America will ever thank you enough. However, I say thank you for all you do with your delegation's work.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2307
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Magnificent valor, Jjaba.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Jjaba - it is very good to hear from you - Happy December!

Jjaba

Post Number: 7620
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, jjaba has actually been on 5 Global Exchange Citizens Diplomacy Delegations; Cuba, Iran, Argentina, India, and South Africa.

www.globalexchange.org.
All of these delegations have met with leaders in the country discussing economics, education, minority rights, women's rights, intl. affairs, human rights, law and justice, etc.

The programs are easy to join. Combined with the consultations, there is plenty of time for tourism too. jjaba has been to many MK Gandhi sites in India, to Robben Island Prison to Nelson Mandella's cell, and to the major sites in Cuba. Global Exchange Organization is located in San Francisco.

Saalam, jjaba on the Westside.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 749
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way to go Jjaba, we need more of your kind to promote humanity. Keep up the good fight.

Hope you explained how Detroit's eastside is vastly superior to the west side!!!

Detroitej72, product of 7& Gratiot.

Jjaba

Post Number: 7625
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The middle east, not Detroit's Eastside.
There's a time and place for all matters under the sun. But thanks for asking.

jjaba was on a mission for peace and harmony. Any mention of Detroit's Eastside would have polluted the gesture.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 752
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just kidding, no disrespect.

Glad to have you back though.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej72, Seven and Gratiot?

Seven and Schoenherr (Pelkey) here.

Lodgedodger is happy to know Jjaba is back.

Ray1936

Post Number: 3938
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lodgedodger, how far from 18714 Pelkey were you?

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

18989 Pelkey...just the other side of the Alley from Jo's Beauty Salon. Bet I trick or treated at your house...

Detroitej72

Post Number: 753
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Lodgedodger, Had a good friend who lived on Alcoy, so I used to spend quite a bit of time in that area.

Also used to play baseball at Wisheagan Playfield when they used to sponsor teams.

When we were 17 or so, we used to frequent Pop Tops on 7 & Schoenherr because they would sell to us.

Ah, what memories.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 4300
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, you are my hero...not in a crush kinda way :-)

...still would like to meet you..(hope you got my email)...

I respect those who put themselves out there..

peace, shalom and salaam

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit, my brother used to go to Wisheagan. I used to skate at JoAnn Park.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How the hell did a thread about Jjaba, of all people, turn into yet another far east side memories thread?

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure...the east side cast some sort of spell over us as children and it just won't let go.

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Jjaba is back,
That fact is true.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7580
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome back Jjaba...

Did you visit any historical sites such as Isfahan or Persepolis?

Jjaba

Post Number: 7626
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, jjaba was in Shiraz, Isfahan, Yadz, Kashan, and Tehran. In the arid South of Iran, Persepolis and other ancient sites were toured.

We attended Madrassahs, Mosques, ancient sites, ancient tombs, public schools, incredible historical homes, formal gardens, hospitals, parks, historical bridges, libraries, museums, and bazaars. We viewed workshops for pottery, rugs, weavings, and other handicrafts.

jjaba bought a rug made in Sarouk at a shop in Isfahan.

jjaba, back from Iran.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 1868
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck visiting Israel next time. Had a friend denied entrance at the airport when they found an Iranian visa in his passport.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4887
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeM, that would be Israel's loss. jjaba went to Iran to spread peace. The Iran stamp is a full page and sticks out in the new USA Passport.

But thanks for the warning. There is always hope re-arrangemnts will occur under new President Obama after Jan. 20, 2009. Restrictions against free travel is something that has bothered jjaba for a long time. Take that freedom away, and sink into a Soviet-style life of control.

jjaba, Citizen Diplomat.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 177
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is Jjaba?

Stromberg2, Just asking.

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 396
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, well I don't know if you'd been to Israel before, Jjaba, but I wonder if Iran would let someone in with 'Israel' stamped in their passport.. I do know of someone who was just denied entry into one of the small Arab countries for having been to Israel before, and he was supposed to go to this country on a business trip. He'd been to Israel a few years ago for nothing more than as an American Jew visiting on vacation.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 363
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Israel will often puts there stamp on a separate piece of paper stapled to your passport for this reason. I've traveled to a few countries that wont stamp your passport because of problems past visitors have had while traveling to other countries because of stamps in there passports

Detroitej72

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh, good to see America doesn't have a monopoly on racism.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.