Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Laid off Auto Workers Roll Call « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mickeymac
Username: Mickeymac

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here

I got the boot from my gig Wednesday. I knew it was going to happen but I didnt think it would be this soon.

Any others?

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3200
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laid off from Tier 1 and Tier 2 skilled trades for the last three years in an endless cycle, so it seems.

I remember the days when I had a humming 401k, stock portfolio, a large cash bump in the bank, and health insurance. I could buy toys, and still plan for the future.

Everything is gone now - except for reading Ccbatson posts, on how his system works.

Purpleheart
Username: Purpleheart

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laid off from GM Powertrain Warren

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 642
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

laid off (since dec 13) from steel supplier only one shift working now. Been there 6 years

Steelworker

Post Number: 643
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone else have problems with unemployment like me???

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 851
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 4:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I,m lucky I still have a job.Three of my Uncles lost their jobs the end of last year when the machine shop they all worked at shut down. The youngest had at least 35 yrs in. I worked there for a short time 7 yrs ago got laid off from there myself. MESC has been messing with my "wifes" check. They say she owes them money. My family that worked for GM retired just in time I guess. I think about the Auto workers alot, as little as 10 years ago my Ford friends were trying to get me in.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3220
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I called MARVIN starting at 11am and it took me 26 tries for over 40 minutes to finally get through.

Can't they fix that system ? It's bad enough to be out of work, but then having to put up with that crap !

But it beats standing in line like I did back in 1973, when over 1000 people were waiting inside/outsde at the Mt.Clemens MESC.

I joined the Navy then.

Mickeymac

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The UIA needs to hire more people to answer the phone, so when people call they dont have to wail all damned day. This is where the internet comes in handy. Last week I called to register to claim for unemployment, and couldnt get through because they were flooded with phone calls. Finally I did it online.

Damn this economy.

Steelworker

Post Number: 644
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got back from the UIA office i was there 8 hours. took me 2 minutes to fix my problem. I had to go there because i couldnt get through on the phone. everyone else in the office had the same problem.

Steelworker

Post Number: 645
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow only 4 laid off people on detroit yes. lucky you.

Purpleheart
Username: Purpleheart

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last day worked was Dec 19, finally got my first UI check yesterday, however it was on a debit card Ohhh brother!

Well time to go out Christmas shopping for my family at the end of Jan :-(

Bigb23

Post Number: 3452
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because of the UIA phone lines crashing, I ordered a User name and password by mail, from the Michigan Dept. of Labor and Economic growth, to do my stuff online, and have a direct deposit.

The website did not accept it. I tried twice, and then gave up to avoid flagging my account.

Now I have to try the phone lines again on Monday.

Which is worse, Government or Privatization ? We're sunk either way. Kick us when we're down.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 731
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do they only accept the online services on the same day you were supposed to call MARVIN?

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2174
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck guys / gals. It has to be tough and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your families.

I got axed in '79 when the great early eighties [Michigan] depression happened - unemployment was even higher than now. Same scenario, soaring oil prices collapsed a fat car industry -- you'd a thunk they would have learned.

I went from good paying Teamster driver job with health, dental, pension and bennies to barely scraping by painting houses with a couple of friends.

Being an artist the humor / irony was inescapable. Someone would ask me what I kind of painting I was making and I would say, "I'm painting the real thing -- houses."

The unemployment office lines were choked and it sometimes took hours to jump through their hoops, pretend that you were looking for jobs that weren't there. I was lucky that I didn't have a family then; I don't know how I would have made it.

It turned my life around, gave me time for my art career to emerge and worked out well ultimately. We didn't have much in those early eighties years, but it didn't stop us from having blast in spite of it; it was all on the cheap. When they called me back six years later, I went in to collect a few final bennies and then left. My life had moved to better and more interesting things.

Something like that will probably happen to you too and, like me, you won't know what it is until it happens.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 867
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Things did work out good for you Lowell, 7 yrs ago I lost my job of 13 yrs at a print shop. The lady at Unemployment said they were gonna be in the same boat as us.With the crap my girlfriend/wife has gone through with MESC and seeing what has been going on, We can only hope for the best.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3484
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had to re-invent myself several times over, Lowell. But when does it stop ? Now they want us in health care, just when they are importing workers from Asia. I've re-schooled myself too many times to fall for that again.

All I want to do is design, and make things.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2176
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think it ever ends Bigb23. We are in the information age. The pace and portability of knowledge, capital, labor and information continually increases in speed and complexity.

Nothing is permanent. We will be forced to continually re-invent ourselves and adapt to a constantly changing occupational environment. Supposed you had to get to Windsor in the winter by jumping from one ice floe to another, each one slippery, moving and melting under you. That's how it feels to me.

My slogan is, "School's in forever." I spend 20% of my time learning new stuff and keeping up with changes in the old. I'm doing okay in this moment but it doesn't mean the floor can't fall out from under me at just about any time.

I've gotten used to it, learned to accept it and learned to stay out of debt and store away a few nuts for the sure-to-come-again lean times. . Our best asset is our network of family and friends. Protect those above all.

Steelworker

Post Number: 647
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may feel like you did lowell in the early 80's but I actually thought my company would be alright. Ive been there 6 years. They have been around over 50 years and never laid off (even expanded operations just over a year ago).

I bought a house a year ago thinking I would still have a job even in these tough times. Now im wondering if they will call me back at all. My company is working only one shift at each of there 3 plants. I was making decent but not good money, now I can't even find a crap job.

I am almost done with an associates degree that I have been slowly working on for the last 9 years, but im afraid it will do nothing for me. Only thing I know it I have to keep going to school maybe for the rest of my life.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3500
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woo-Hoo, it only took me ten calls and 35 minutes of trying to get through for my UIA check.

But, I still have to try the Claimant Customer Relations number, to find out why the User name and password they issued, will not work on the site.

That's almost a full time job in it's self.

Steelworker

Post Number: 649
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am surprised you got through. I had to go there (livonia P.R.O.)and waste 8 hours of my life.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3513
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anybody runs across any helpful links post them here. I'm registered with the following for updates:

quote:

Dear Unemployedworkers.org Members:

As indicated in the news report below, state unemployment agencies are buckling under the load of unemployment claims.
http://ent.groundspring.org/Em ailNow/pub.php?module=URLTrack er&cmd=track&j=255797979&u=271 3283

http://ent.groundspring.org/Em ailNow/pub.php?module=URLTrack er&cmd=track&j=255797979&u=271 3284
The problems in the last few days only confirm what we have been hearing for months. State agencies are taking longer to process claims, and the phone centers that handle most claims are extremely hard to reach. In most cases, it is NELP's belief that states are suffering from years of underfunding of their unemployment operations. States rely on federal grants to run their programs and modernize their technology. This administrative funding has fallen short for years, and it has left states unprepared.

We've put together some tips for you if you are experiencing these problems. And, to help make the case with Congress and in the media, we need to gather your harrowing experiences trying to get through and find workers who'd be willing to share their stories with the press.

By the way, Michigan's program is privately funded by the Employers.

Mickeymac

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those who have been able to find other gigs I am glad for you. For those of you who are unemployed and have to depend on unemployment, you are not alone and I am with you on that.

I have to admit I am not that dissapointed about losing my gig. It paid good and all but my heart hadnt been in it in ages, and over time I grew to dislike it more and more, especially everthing that was going on in the automotive industry last year, I just got sick of everything.

Good thing I am in school because that takes up some of my time and gives me something to do.

Meantime I know I am going to have to find something soon. Just got to do this one thing at a time.

Steelworker

Post Number: 651
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

find what a MICKEY D's job its less than my regular gig or my Unemployment. Im so tempted to take anything out of state in any other place. Even tempted to apply to police stations in southwest and, crap maybe new orleans(I have plenty of college credits).

Bigb23

Post Number: 3536
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the skills to make a living out of state, but not the money to clean up the homestead and move from Michigan. I wished I had stayed out in California 30 years ago. There, I was on a fast track - here, I've been on a back track.

Steelworker

Post Number: 652
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I would umm let the homestead go if i had an opportunity to make money in another state. I can't stay here and make 10hr.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee sorry I missed this one...

I lost my job related to the automotive industry Dec. 19th too...

Steelworker

Post Number: 655
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry AIW. I feel really bad for some of my laidoff coworkers I know they dont have the financial cushion that I have. My cushion will last maybe a year that is it. So on to looking for jobs anywhere in the USA.

Steelworker

Post Number: 656
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just found out I am going back to work thursday. I do not expect it to last.

Mickeymac

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About moving out of Michigan

I dont have the funds to do that and I have lived in this state my whole life and have attachments here. I have all my friends here and if I were to move I would miss them something awful.

Besides I kinda like it here. This state has so much history. Michigan has one of the best renowned music scenes in the nation(not just Motown, the MC5 and the Stooges).

Steelworker

Post Number: 657
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly I started getting the shakes after hearing im going back to work. I don't know why. I was planning a drive around the USA to apply at police departments and Federal police. Ill have to slowly squeak them out while im working.

Mickeymac

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sounds like a good idea to me Steel

Bigb23

Post Number: 3751
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody have any luck with filing the Michigan UIA extension ? I did it online already, but have not received any solid conformation.

I know there is a huge clusterf**k up in Lansing, but I wonder if anybody has heard anything.

While searching about this online, I even landed on an attack site. Be careful.

Kicked while down. :-(

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 432
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't work on the line, but I'm laid off from the auto industry too! Actually, I should be used to it, in the last 20 years I've been laid off from GM, Ford, and VW, plus several auto suppliers, lol. Only this is the absolute longest its ever lasted. I used to get a lay off notice, make a phone call to a recruiter while I was packing my desk, and have a voicemail about another job waiting on me by the time I got home! (sigh) I miss those days!

About the extension - I also applied online last week and it appeared to go through, but just to be sure, I called the 800 number to verify, and yes, it did go through. I was surprised because I didn't even know there was another extension, but I saw the link and figured I may as well apply. The clerk confirmed my extension for 13 more weeks - I think this is my 3rd extension, I've lost count now, but I've been getting unemployment since last March, so yeah, that would be a lot of extensions!

I certify with MARVIN online now - the freaky thing is so full of bugs that sometimes it doesn't even appear to work and I have to keep refreshing the page or going backwards, but so far, everytime I call in to verify, its always been accepted. I just wish they'd fix that flaky system because I'm doing twice the work by doing it online and THEN calling in! However, I can never get in through the phones during my call-in period.

With unemployment so high, I really don't see the point in having the system only available for certain hours - why not a 24 hour system if its computerized anyway? That would certainly lighten the load because you can call in anytime day or night.

Mickeymac

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Chrissy and that way, it wouldnt take 45 minutes to get through.

I like Michigan but at the same time, this state sucks.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4113
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seem to be receiving my UIA extension now, but the letter says I have to refile again because the benefit year ends March 21.

I applied and was granted the extension February 13. Do I dare throw a wrench into this, by re-applying ? Do I have to re-apply/update at Michigan Works ?

I can't find any info on this, and Michigan is as vague as usual on the form.

Any help or info would be appreciated. Oh and I posted on this thread, to avoid the constant Ccbatson sarcasm on the other threads. What a tool.

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 491
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Big! I just went through the same thing. My benefit year ended Feb. 21, and I had received the letter earlier but ignored it because I was already getting an extension and thought they were the same. So I wake up Feb. 23 and realize that I should probably at least call and find out what it means.

I called and the rep told me that even though I'm getting the extension, I still need to file for a new benefit claim for the new period, since my year was up. I asked her was she sure it wouldn't affect my extension I am currently getting, she said NO.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3957
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ And you believed her??? :-)

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 494
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I certified again today, then called to make sure, and I still have my regular extension check coming, so apparently everything went fine. I usually call if I'm unsure of anything, even if I have to redial 40x to get through.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3959
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just kidding, Chrissy. Wishing you the best!

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 497
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, no problem, Ray. You DO have to double- and triple-check with these folks, so you have a point! I wouldn't want anyone to be suddenly blindsided at an unfortunate time!

Bigb23

Post Number: 4118
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info, Chrissy. It's always nice to have someone who's waded through this mess to help the ones behind them.
It used to be the American way. Now I wonder.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4126
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, does anybody know about this ? There is no further explanation on the site on how you are supposed to submit your job contact info.

To qualify for Extended Benefits (EB), Geskey said that eligible workers must:

* Be unemployed or underemployed
* Have an unemployment benefit year that ends on or after January 31, 2009. A benefit year is a 52-week period starting from the week in which a worker applies for state unemployment benefits;
* Have exhausted all of their state and federal unemployment benefits and federal extensions (EUC) and cannot establish a new claim; and

* Perform a work search and list the employers contacted each week. As evidence of their work search, workers will have to supply the names of employers they have contacted over the prior two weeks, as well as the name of the individual they contacted at each business, their method of contact, type of work they sought, and the results of their contact.

I've just finished my state claims, so far.

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 500
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you log in, there's a new link there that says Bi-Weekly Record of Work Search, and when you click it, there's a place to enter work search activities for each week. It says:

Note: You must enter three work search activities for each week you report. If you do not have three activities for each week, you must file by mail using our paper form.

But they have never officially announced any new job search requirements, other than the standard "look for work, register/use the Talent Bank". If that's a new requirement then they can't enforce it without letting people know about it. So far, its just a new feature that you only know about if you happen to visit the site and click on it.

Anything official needs to be announced and/or mailings sent out. I'm ignoring it until I hear differently. I'm guessing its something they plan to initiate and the section is available now, but they haven't actually launched it yet.

If I feel like playing Redial Roulette today, I might try to get them on the phone again and ask about it.

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 501
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is what the paper form says:

Use this form to record each employer you contacted during each week you are claiming unemployment benefits. Although this information is not requested when claiming each week,
your claim may be audited and you may be asked at any time to provide a detailed record of your work search efforts. If you cannot provide this information, you may be penalized and
have to pay back the benefits as well as damages of double or four times the amount received through fraud. Keep this record up-to-date. If you have questions regarding this form,
contact our Inquiry Line at 1-866-500-0017 (TTY customers use 1-866-366-0004).

I guess, if you want, you could start keeping track of your job search on this form, instead of doing it online, and just keep it for your records. It's a convenient way to keep track of the 1000 jobs we apply for each week, but I still say they can't enforce it until they let us know about it.

If I'm ever audited, I can always pull up most of my applications through the Sent box of my email, plus Careerbuilder and Monster keep a list of the jobs you've applied for, so those of us that do it all electronically would still be covered.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4130
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Chrissy. Like I've said before, you have to walk on egg shells for this "system".

As for calling in, (20 times), my main irritant, is that DO-DO-BEEEEP, all lines are busy, etc.
That message beep, can really damage you're hearing. Thanks phone company, for another irritant.

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 508
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was searching the site for information on taxes, and found this document regarding Extended Benefits (EB), which is different than the Emergency Extension.

http://www.michigan.gov/docume nts/uia/Extended_Benefits_in_M ichigan_Fact_Sheet_122_267185_ 7.pdf

If your benefit year has expired, like mine, then because of the excessive unemployment, we will become eligible for Extended Benefits, but that work search tracking is one of the requirements. Right now, you may be getting an extension, but be prepared for when you have to file for the EB, have your work search history prepared and ready to go so there's no delay in your benefits. Just a heads up!

How are they putting this stuff on the website and not mailing it out or announcing it on the news? What about the people who don't/can't use the internet????

Bigb23

Post Number: 4280
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a MAJOR cluster f**k the Michigan UIA system is. I just finished a three hour ordeal to file for a new benefit year online and by phone, just to get a message that I can't file online, and it's too late to try again by phone. Now I have to try again Thursday, and I can't qualify for MARVIN by phone or Internet today.
Thanks Michigan, for adding insult to injury. Now I have to try to untangle this mess with a human, if it's possible.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.