Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Record collectors roll call « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I collect novelty albums; jazz records (Art Blakey Freedom Rider is my fave) Seventies funk and spoken word records; some opera. I have a at pl120 turntable that can play 78s Quartz manipulation. Only downside is that the turntable doesnt automatically lift the arm after a record is finished.

I have a copy of The Awakenings on the Black Jazz label; Cannonball Adderly Soul Zodiac; Dolemite. Its a fun hobby.....

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 141
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like old records too. Have a sealed original issue of "Cannonball Adderly and the Poll Winners". So many times i wanted to listen to it but resisted opening it. dang, I want to listen to it NOW. wowwee Cannonball, Wes Montgomery and Ray Brown. hold me back

Also a sealed original issue of "Nancy Wilson/Cannonball Adderly" and a 2nd copy which I enjoy occasionally.

No idea of the value of these.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 498
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

record collecting...an obsession, really. Have, um, "many" LP's and about 2 feet of 78's (including a Bird Dial, various Todd Rhodes, and a Bessie Columbia Flag 78...nothing beats the funky smell of aged vinyl. CD's have no soul...

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lodgedodger and betterhalf are collectors.

Mickeymac
Username: Mickeymac

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shit yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Records are my faves. I would take a record over a CD, MPI, Ipod or download any day.

I got a small collections of LP's and 45's(over 1,600 LP's and over 500 45's).

I collect 50's stuff(pop, rock, rockabilly, doo wop, R&B), surf/instro/hot rod, girl groups, British invasion, 60's soul(Motown, Chicago, Stax, beach music, northern soul), garage rock past and present, some psych, some 70's, authentic punk, old jazz, old blues, old country, gospel and some classical.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2156
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cruise on over to SoulfulDetoit.com to run across the the big time vinyl gang.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 746
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 5:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also have many, many Lp's.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 208
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husband and I still have all of our vinyl--a very diverse collection--he loves old radio shows and opera, I love Motown, Beatles, Beach Boys and Simon and Garfunkel. We've moved several times and I always say I'm going to get rid of them, but I just can't. The album liner notes were read SO MUCH, and I love the physical nature of playing them. I will never get rid of them, but my, they take up a lot of storage space.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love vinyl! I also love Car City records

Mickeymac

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cruise on over to SoulfulDetoit.com to run across the the big time vinyl gang.

True but not enough rock and rollers over there.

I once came across a pressing of "96 Tears" by ? & The Mysterians on the Pa Go Go label(before it was issued nationally on Cameo). Its worth from $300 to $700. I had no plans of ever selling it, but after ? lost everything in that fire two years ago. I gave it to him.

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 145
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thumbs up for Mickeymac

Denbytar64
Username: Denbytar64

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can call the American Society of Appraisers in Herndon, Va for a local number to call for the valuation of your records. Or www.appraisers.org for additional informaton on appraisers

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can I borrow some Del Shannon & the Rationals for our cool party at Mackenzie High?

Mackenzie68
Username: Mackenzie68

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Ron Paturka, his hit was Happy Street. Mackenzie alum, I'm told.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2425
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got about 300, some classical, shows, movie soundtracks, pop vocals, instrumentals, comedy, a whole lot of organ records for some reason, some early 80s rock and punk.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3228
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I'd throw this up there for you guys to drool over.

quote:

The Gabriel Turntable is available through select distributors from the Angelis Labor website for a price of $27,000-$64,000, depending on the number of arms.

Of course, what makes the Gabriel Turntable unique is the obvious four arms. The reason why has to do with audiophiles changing the pick-up cartridges on the arm. Since the Gabriel Turntable has more than one, its setup allows for quick changes. I wish I had more turntable experience to know if this is helpful.

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20090113/gabriel-turntable-one-fine-record-player-with-four-arms/

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2426
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

high end audio is one of those places where it is better to leave your common sense at the door, if you have that much disposable income. I have seen tube amps that cost as much as a new car, and turntables that get into this /\ level of crazyness. Don't even start talking microphones, there seems to be no limit as to what can be spent there.
I just want enough spare $ to get my nice warm Luxman amp fixed, the temp replacement is just OK, $30 at the salvation army store (Detroit IS cheap!) but it lacks the warmth and power of the Luxman, which dates from the Jerry Ford administration.

Mickeymac

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where in Detroit and the surronding areas do yall shop for records?

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I occasionally have pangs of regret about selling my collection of about 2,000 LPs, 1,500 45s and a few hundred 78s (especially after moving them 1,600 miles). But, I joined the digital age a little late and my CD collection is now over 2,000 (heavy on jazz, blues and pre-1980 R&R). I haven't gone the ipod route yet, but if the next car has a connecting jack, maybe I will.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 784
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Collector here. I just started.

I shop at Detroit Threads and another place in Hamtramck.

Terryh

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Record Graveyard in Hamtramck (picked up a nice copy of Art Blakeys Freedom Rider lp) on the Blue Note Record label. Also the Record Collector in Ferndale. Sample before you buy on the turntable with headphone set-up.

Mickeymac

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing against Ipods, MP3's, downloading and the like, but for me nothing does it like vinyl

I dont care if its a first pressing or a reissue. I want my music on records.

Terryh

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have any Blue Note record label albums they want to sell in near mint condition? I like Art Blakey and the Jazz messengers.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3004
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shit, Terryh, if I had some of those, I wouldn't part with them. I'd brag my ass off about it, though...

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1830
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anyone have any Blue Note record label albums they want to sell in near mint condition? I like Art Blakey and the Jazz messengers.

Sorry, but I do have a lovely collection from SST, Alternative Tentacles, Dischord, Tremor, Elektra, Subconscious, BOMP!, Subterranean, and Nettwerk.

All first pressings, very posh.

Oh wait, I guess "Brothers and Sisters" would be considered second pressing... but I have both.

Jimg

Post Number: 492
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a few Blakey BN's, will trade them for a few Bird Dial LPs (10 or 12 inch).

Ravine

Post Number: 3020
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, Jim, I guess you would. Who the hell wouldn't?

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 216
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the appraiser into...I have many old records, from my parents. Big band/ WWII era, and many more. I can't bring myself to throw them out, and have been wondering if they are worth anything, and not sure how to find out. Some are in great shape. still have there sleeves and outer covers, etc. I guess I would have to inventory them first..is that reasonable to do?

Jimg

Post Number: 493
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Detroitbred, that is a good first step. Grading used records is more complex but information is probably available on the 'net. Certain labels (e.g., Dial, Paramount) are "scarcer" and consequently highly valued.

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 217
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jimg...sounds like a good project for one of these cold winter days.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 518
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a small (by collector standards very small) collection of old LPs that I inherited from my parents, and a nice early-80s Technics direct drive turntable (also inherited) to play them on. My favorites are the old latin records (Colombian and Venezuelan LPs from the 60s and 70s, a little bit of classic salsa), the James Brown (which I should give back to my aunt), a ska LP from about 1964, and the comedy stuff like Tom Lehrer and Woody Allen. It is mostly stuff that has value to me but probably not to anyone else, is older than I am, and is unavailable in any other form.

O.

Mickeymac

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I am able I am always looking for records. I am terrible to go to a record store with because I will be there for a least a couple of hours.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 521
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those making a visit to Chicago, the Jazz Record Mart on Illinois at about Wabash is terrific for jazz and blues (and intl stuff too), including LPs old and new.

O.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 884
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya,ll gotta raid my basement and grab the 3 boxes of LP,S my son in law got as "payment" for helping some lady move stuff. I snagged the Hank Williams Memorial Album.That sits above the T.V.

Jimg

Post Number: 494
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You right, Otter, JRM is a great shop...home of Delmark records, too. "Crazy Bob" Koester is an amazing guy, recorded so many jazz/blues giants.

Terryh

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just finished listening to The Charles Lloyd Quartet recorded live at the Fillmore auditorium in San Francisco circ 1967. Snapping sound on side two, probably just needs a cleaning with alcohol water mix on a cotton cloth.

Jazz albums are soothing;love listening to jazz records.

Mickeymac

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look for Blue Note records for what is called the "deep indentation", its some kind of mark that was on the Blue Note records from the mid 50's to early 60's. First pressings of those can fetch over 200 bucks.

Check out Goldmine, they have more info on the topic.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 775
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although the collection is pretty good (about 2,000 lp's, maybe a thousand 45's), it's gotten to the point that I collect songs more than whole records. By that I mean if an LP or CD has a song that catches my eye, I'll buy it.

As a song collector, I've found an interesting source of material is cassette tapes. A used music store out my way actively buys them. They don't rate collector prices and she resells them inexpensively. Also, those spinner racks in convenience stores are a great place to collect tunes......

Mickeymac

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As soon as I leave here, off to the record store.

Terryh

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where Douglasm? Thanks for the info Mickeymac? Do you guys have any local records. I have a Nolan Strong album on Fortune Records and a group called Livin Proof which record there album at a studio on West 8 Mile back in 78 If I remember correctly.

Records often have unigue arty labels.

Terryh

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do any of you ever visit the recordguild website?
What kind of turntables do you use?

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1045
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vinyl sales increased 60% from 2007 - 2008 according to Rolling Stone magazine. Record labels are doing reissues on vinyl. Cool

Ravine

Post Number: 3057
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh, I hope that snapping sound on your Lloyd record is not the sound of percussionist Airto Moreira screwing around with one of the goddam annoying instruments for which he is teeth-grindingly noted.

(Message edited by ravine on February 05, 2009)

Douglasm

Post Number: 777
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh.....
....."out my way" is a fair distance from Detroit. Old Skool Records in Ellensburg, WA, and The Music Store in Brewster, WA.

Downriveria......
.....the only real problem with reissues on vinyl is the stuff they're reissuing I already bought the first time around.....

Mickeymac

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the only real problem with reissues on vinyl is the stuff they're reissuing I already bought the first time around

Hey some of us werent around the first time around and besides labels like Sundazed, Norton, Get Back, and 4 Men with Beards, have done a sensational job with their reissues.

Terryh

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol@Ravine.bought my turntable about a year ago from Crutchfield, and prefer jazz records. I collected Rock albums back in the late seventies -early eighties. Ive found jazz to be soothing. Jazz is kind of here and there-somewhat unstructured..I dig it

Reddog289

Post Number: 898
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 3:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok record folks. I have a question "How do you get mold off the sleeves?". Son in Law,s vinyl collection stinks. I want them outta the house but what to do in the meantime?

Jimg

Post Number: 496
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL...very carefully. A lysol wipe sometimes works. They should remain indoors in a moderate temp environment at all times. Donate a room in your house, Red. Vinyl is important.

Jimg

Post Number: 497
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, not an Airto fan? Have seen him 2x and he used those instruments to very good effect...

Ravine

Post Number: 3064
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just horsing around, Jimg. Airto is awright, once you get used to that whoofing noise.
Actually, the truth is that I was hoping to draw YOU out with that remark. I would like to get in contact with you. Do you still have my e-mail address and/or phone number?
If case you don't, I have asked Lowell to forward my e-mail address to you upon your request.

(Message edited by ravine on February 06, 2009)

Reddog289

Post Number: 905
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimg, Thanks will try that.

Jimg

Post Number: 498
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, I don't think I still have your contact info. Send me an email...JamesJazz at aol.com

Terryh

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any reccomendations on cleaning of albums? I use a washcloth with a water rubbing alcohol mix. Record Collector in Ferndale has a Vynil cleaning kit for 24 bucks....

Mickeymac

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Believe it or not Glass Plus works on records. Make sure its plain glass plus and not mixed with lemon amonia(or however you spell it), or any of that stuff. Use a dry lint free soft cloth and some glass plus and that will do the trick. There are cleaning record bottles you can buy, and if you have big bucks you can buy a record cleaner. They are not cheap, and start around $200. Also they have brushes that are designed for records. Let your record spin around the turntable and lightly brush the record as it spins, it picks up a lot od microdust that way.

Jimg

Post Number: 502
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are many liquids used by record collectors, I've heard of everything from alcohol (applied deliberately, or spilled lol) to some type of furniture polish(!) to Windex. The trick is to use a substance which doesn't dissolve vinyl (not too difficult) which won't leave deposits in da grooves...a mild alcohol-based solvent should work.
But almost as important is a purpose designed brush, not a WASHCLOTH fer Chrissake. Otherwise you'll pull the crap across the grooves...I shudder to think of the destruction which may result...

Douglasm

Post Number: 779
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Long ago when I worked in a used record store, we used a glycerin and water mix to clean records. Seemed to work.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.