Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Just a Place For Constructive Spelling Criticism « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2206
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Post your constructive spelling and grammar criticism and corrections from our fellow posters, here. Fellow forumers could also ask questions about grammar and spelling here (Did I word "Yadda yadda yadda" right).

Now, did I word that all correctly? Hmmm, "yadda" isn't in spell check.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 778
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Gistok isn't just watching some moronic talkers, ad nausea

Right intent, wrong usage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A rgumentum_ad_nauseam

I suppose this is your intent in making this thread?

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2210
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, this is the intent of making this thread. You know, I had nauseam, but the spell check said it was not a word.

Grrr at my spell check. Grrr!

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 682
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You know, I had nauseam,

I hear Pepto Bismol works wonders for that!

Townonenorth

Post Number: 780
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can always add words to an external spell check that you confirm elsewhere to be valid spellings. Of course, that won't help you if it is a valid word, but the wrong usage, as in their, there, or they're, etc. Doesn't MS Word have a grammar feature?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6122
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It has my name included... I didn't say that, did I? Where did you find that quote Townonenorth?

While I've already posted on this thread... one of my pet peeves is this below (not a grammar or spelling error).... I hate it when I see this (below).... One recent post had 6 of these.... I suppose some folks don't realize you can delete all but 1...

(Message edited by Gistok on February 08, 2009)

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 909
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 4:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to DetYes I am learning english.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 782
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That quote was from Sean of Detroit's post 2196 in the personal attacks topic. Here's the full quote:

quote:

Gistok isn't just watching some moronic talkers, ad nausea. He is also watching the self righteous teachers yell at air. So, you have the people not thinking and saying whatever comes to mind, then you have the people who are past that, but are still in the same boat because they are wasting even more time reading and responding. Those people waste hours, and the people who dig up dirt are wasting entire days.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 678
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use.... because my enter key sticks. If I had a job I would get a new keyboard. I do like space between distinct thoughts. This is not a spelling issue, it is a format issue.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3713
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IM CRZY ABOUT TH TXT SPEECH NWDYS. CN PPL LEARN HW 2 PRPRLY US A KYBRD ?:-)

Townonenorth

Post Number: 788
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas, if you din't have a functional keyboard, or at least part of it, in Windows XP go to Start, then All Programs then on the menu click on Accessories, then over to Accessibility, then click On Screen Keyboard.

It's for the mobility challenged, but works well if your keyboard craps out.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1871
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Bigb, thts kwl!:-)

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2215
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This should come in handy:

URL: http://www.spellchecker.net/sp ellcheck/

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3073
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 5:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Screw it. The majority, around here, seems to hold to the point of view that, because this is "just an internet forum," spelling & grammar are unimportant.
My feeling-- already obvious, I'm sure-- is that if spelling & grammar are unimportant to you, then whatever it is you are trying (and failing) to express is most probably not going to be very important to me, so why the hell should I even care how tragically wretched your writing skills are?

I cannot help but notice an absurd irony: This forum is packed to the rafters with smug, self-important blowhards who take themselves very, very seriously, even though their posts read as though they were pecked out by 2nd Graders.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3746
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was Irony, Gistok

quote:

While I've already posted on this thread... one of my pet peeves is this below (not a grammar or spelling error).... I hate it when I see this (below).... One recent post had 6 of these.... I suppose some folks don't realize you can delete all but 1...

(from the Ancient Greek , meaning hypocrisy, deception, or feigned ignorance) :-)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6125
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotcha Bigb23... but others do that without noticing...

Bigb23 based on your first post on this thread... I'm sending the LEGO removal man to your house... :-)

(Message edited by Gistok on February 09, 2009)

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2219
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, I blame our city and suburban schools. However, people can also come here and ask questions if they are unsure about something that the spelling and grammar check is not catching correctly.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1913
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Cass Tech and Duffield Elementary, both Detroit schools. English is not my first language, and I had to learn it on the fly after moving from PR to Detroit.

The schools have fuck all to do with it, it's the lazy fucking kids and the parents that let them get away with it.

I don't care what anyone says, people are judged by the way they communicate, even on the Internet.

Phonetic spellers make me want kill kittens, and I love kittens.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9367
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Phonetic spellers make me want kill kittens, and I love kittens.

Ooh, grammatical error in a rant about language.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6538
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes you have to spell incorrectly.

E.g., try typing "HitIer, and" here and watch what happens. Then try to figure out how I did it.

No prizes will be awarded.

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread contains much to make me laugh.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, that's pretty damn random. Why would that particular combination of characters be censored?

(Figured it out, btw. Where's my non-prize?)

Jimaz

Post Number: 6539
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weird, huh? "Hitler" alone works fine.

We don't need no steenkin' prizes.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 794
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hitler and without the comma works as well. Wonder why that is?

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For yout consideration, put Strunk and White's Elements of Style(needs underline) in your library (or stack of books).

Very concise information regarding construction, useage, differences between dificult words. They may not have been able to discuss the evolution of google and googled and other words in our changing language, but if writers followed the guidelines, it would make reading a news story and listening to TV news a more pleasant experience. (run-on sentence)

E. B. White wrote "Charlotte's Web. (need underline)

Islandman

Post Number: 1915
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice catch JL!

You know we're taking about more than a missing word here. :-)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9371
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkshreve brings us the thread:

quote:

Chicago - Detroit comarisons

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Its" is already possessive--no need to add an apostrophe. "It's" is a contraction - it is.

"Your" indicates possession. "You're" is a contraction - you are.

Please spell-check all thread headings--the first poster looks like a complete idiot.

Mackenzie68
Username: Mackenzie68

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Underlining is not needed for titles. The use of italics is the correct form, underlining was used on typewriters since there were no italic keys available. IBM Selectric typeballs allowed for italics, but tended to irritate and injure typists.

This begs the question “How do I italicize on Detroityes?”

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9377
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suppose you do it like this.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9378
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you know how to quote? Replace the q with an i.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2229
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please spell-check all thread headings--the first poster looks like a complete idiot.

It's not easy to effectively make yourself look like an idiot. It takes years of trial and error.

Alsodave

Post Number: 684
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"••••••••••• Kittens are my favorites, especially when nacho flavored.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Do you know how to quote? Replace the q with an i.

quote:

Error
Formatting Error
The formatting code iuote does not exist or cannot be used in this context.

I think you meant "replace the word 'quote' with an i." :-)

Alsodave

Post Number: 685
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's not easy to effectively make yourself look like an idiot. It takes years of trial and error.

I disagree. Some people seem to catch on right away.

Islandman

Post Number: 1920
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2232
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, no. Eventually they say something smart and mess it all up. :-)

Mackenzie68
Username: Mackenzie68

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, cool ranch is good, too.

Johnlodge, I'm embarrassed that I didn't go far enough into the FAQ to rtfm.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^HTML tags work for italics and such too. That's what I've always used--I didn't know Johnlodge's way even worked until I saw his post and started playing with the tags. I'm way too lazy to read the FAQs.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9379
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think you meant "replace the word 'quote' with an i."

Oops, right you are. But yes, it's all there in the FAQ, although some things do not work as advertised.

Alsodave

Post Number: 687
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

No, no. Eventually they say something smart and mess it all up.

Nope. Some people always deliver the goods. Like clockwork...

:-)

Jimaz

Post Number: 6550
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Click here for a full list of [formatting] instructions provided by the forum software manufacturer.

\i{italicized} yields italicized.
\\i{italicized} yields \i{italicized}.
\\\\i{italicized} yields \\i{italicized}, etc.

Some formatting no longer works. After the BANG! incident, the named color and \2{} constructs mysteriously vanished. You can still generate all colors with the \rgb{} construct but you must first understand hexidecimal notation.

It is possible to determine the exact rgb color value of any pixel of a screenshot using MSPaint.

(Message edited by Jimaz on February 10, 2009)

Jimaz

Post Number: 6551
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another mystery:

\ch{forall} yields ", yet \ch{thereexists} yields "The special character thereexists does not exist." instead of the customary backwards E.

What good does one do without the other?

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 706
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Townonenorth and Seanofdetroit, thank you for the info. As mentioned previously, I am not all that computer savvy. I appreciate the advice.

I don't always follow up on info immediately. (the advice you two gave was dated Feb. 8th). I need to be in a focused mode. I do assure anyone who responds to my queries that I do check into advice given.

I usually edit my posts. Sometimes, I let known misspellings go with no corrections, with the attitude, oh well, they know what idea I am conveying.

My best and easy spell check is my husband. He is a walking dictionary. It is annoying sometimes. I get this, are you that dumb look, but he tells me what I need to know. He rarely posts, but he has a wealth of information. After 33 years of marriage, I would be hard pressed to say if he is selfish or lazy.

Last thought, I have an extensive vocabulary. I had a teacher once, that said, if you can't spell it, don't use it. I use that advice often on this board. I frequently substitute words and phrases if I am unsure of my spelling.

I am not a purist but do agree that thoughts are better conveyed if expressed correctly in terms of grammar, punctuation and spelling.

Just an aside, I spelled grammar as grammer. The wrong spelling still looks right to me.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 922
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 4:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that it is important to know how to write. But the Reddog writes funny as it iS. I will miss going to this site daily, Yet I have found I can listen to music and not write at all in another place and time in the net.If I never post again Thanks for all the info and memories of Detroit and its suburban neighbors.

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I would be hard pressed to say if he is selfish or lazy."

These are not mutually exclusive. I'm living proof.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ hence "or", as opposed to "and".

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3659
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting email I received:

From Cambridge University..

Olny srmat poelpe can raed this.
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the first and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae.
The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it wouthit a porbelm.
This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt !!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.