Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » White Bean Chicken Chili - The Woodward « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 851
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Woodward had terrible service, inconsistent food, and was over-priced. But, I did like the White Bean Chicken Chili. Would anyone here be able to get me the recipe?

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 479
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never had the White Bean Chicken Chili at The Woodward, so I don't know what seasonings they use. But I do make it myself, it's not too hard to make. This should make a dutch oven size pot of soup.

I boil some chicken parts (I usually use thighs and leg quarters) with onions. Simmer the chicken until it's falling off the bone. Take the chicken out of the broth and set it aside to cool a little so you can take the meat off the bones and put it back into the soup. Strain the broth thru a couple of layers of cheesecloth. Add to the broth the chicken, large glass container of white beans-drained, 1 can of diced jalpeno peppers, a can of white corn-drained, salt and pepper (or white pepper), cumin, red pepper to taste. What makes the flavor for me is the diced jalpeno peppers with the cumin. Simmer til heated through. Just remember you will have to keep adding seasonings til it's like want it. Especially the salt. You will have to add salt to the soup if you make the broth yourself. Great with corn bread or tortilla chips!

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mama, I'm sure your recipe is wonderful, but I have a quicker recipe:

1) Brown four chicken breasts, then cut to bite-sized pieces
2) In a pot, add a large jar of white beans (great northern)
3) Add diced chicken
4) Add a 16 ounce jar of medium salsa

When all ingredients are heated, it's ready.

Hubby thinks I slave away over this for hours...

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 187
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

America's Test Kitchen did an episode recently for White Chili; it sounded good. Here's a link to the recipe - you have to register, but its free.
http://www.americastestkitchen .com/login.asp?did=3897&LoginF orm=recipe&iSeason=8

Mama_jackson

Post Number: 483
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lodgerdodger-you don't use any chicken broth?

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, the recipe I use is a "throw together". Not a "real" recipe. ;-)

Mama_jackson

Post Number: 484
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds good. Great for a quick dinner night! Thanks.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2110
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they have a great white bean chicken chili at Happy Cream on Monroe

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 854
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku,

You sure love Happy Cream!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.