Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Does anyone eat only (or mostly) organic? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 434
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or know of any local organic restaurants? All I find when I search is Whole Foods, which isn't really a restaurant.

But beyond that, any suggestions for organic groceries, other than Whole Foods and Trader Joes? Meijer has a good selection, but they are still lacking in some areas.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Avalon uses only organic ingredients, I think. There is also some sort of natural foods store next door to it that I think is organic.

My wife and I eat primarily organic food. Unfortunately, the choices for organic only are few and far between in Detroit. They're getting better, but only slightly.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Western Market
http://westernmarket.net/Organ ic-Products.html

Cass Corridor Food Co-op
http://geocities.com/casscorri dorfoodcoop/

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 691
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For groceries, Natural Food Patch in Ferndale is a great place. It doesn't have as wide a selection as Whole Foods, but the prices are usually better. Kroger is getting better with their organic choices, but the prices are sometimes higher than Whole Foods!

Seva Restaurant in Ann Arbor is a great place to get an organic meal. Where else can you get a glass of Rice Milk with your dinner? :-)

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3621
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before you guys eat your organic vegetables, do you wash them and soak them in salt water for a while?

This inquiring mind wants to know...hummm.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 692
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never soaked them in salt water, but we still wash 'em.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 807
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always heard good things about Inn Season in Royal Oak, but they are vegetarian. Cafe Muse in Royal Oak says:

quote:

At Café Muse, we promote natural cuisine.
Our beliefs extend beyond the use of just
fresh ingredients. We strive to use products
that are not only humanely treated, but are
grown without the use of pesticides and
growth hormones

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 435
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that menu at Café Muse looks good, and they've got several great reviews for that grilled cheese.

I tried searching and the directories ask you to submit your restaurant, so of course it didn't have many in our area. Glad to know there are a few.

Meijer is actually really good with both produce and dry organic goods. What they don't have is organic meat products, not even fish or poultry, but my goal is to eventually eliminate those also, just not yet!

E_Hemingway - where is Avalon?

I'm excited about Western Market though. I'll check them out this weekend as well as the other place while I'm down there.

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 436
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How does the Cass Corridor Food Co-op work? Is it just regular shopping, or membership, or what? There's no information there about the service but it does mention "members in good standing". Looks interesting.

Lugotown
Username: Lugotown

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the cass food co-op has been gone for years. it was membership. was really great at one time.

avalon bakery, not a market
422 W Willis St, off cass, near wayne state
Detroit, MI 48201

i go to natural food patch to get things before going to whole foods since they are a bit cheaper.

western mkt is a pretty good mkt, right down the street from natural food patch.

om cafe has been closed for a while but they said they plan to re-open. it's also in ferndale at 23136 woodward, off 9 mile.

also heard good things about inn season in royal oak. a lot of people like the place in eastern mkt called detroit evolution lab but it will be closed for a little bit. The Lab will be closed from Feb 14th - April 1st. 1434 Gratiot Avenue #1, Detroit MI 48207

i went to a little "hole in the wall" place that has a small restaurant called the goldengate cafe, 18700 Woodward Avenue Detroit, Michigan 48203, which is south of Eight Mile.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5929
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a website that is a source for natural meats in Michigan

http://www.eatwild.com/product s/michigan.html

The Royal Oak Farmers Market has plenty of organic produce (seasonal of course) and meats, cheese, milk and eggs. If you poke around Eastern Market you will also find plenty of sources.

The local supermarkets will expand their organic section if there is a call for it, find the store manager and ask them.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 786
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet Lorraine's claims to be "local, natural and organic".

Not to mention, delicious.

www.sweetlorraines.com

Ruxy17
Username: Ruxy17

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cafe Muse is some of the best food I've ever had, hands down.

Also, check out the Detroit Evolution Lab:

www.detroitevolution.com

Not quite a restaurant, but they do serve organic and vegan meals and have organic cooking classes. Greg and Angela are the nicest people you'll ever meet and are pretty much organic/vegan know-it-alls. they also do yoga and massage in the lab. i'd contact them.

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 439
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is all great info! Thanks! Esp the organic cooking classes. The more options I have, the more I can stay committed.

My daughter's friend was recently diagnosed with Celiac's Disease so I'm also trying to find gluten-free products and hopefully restaurants that offer some choices for her too. Seems a lot of the organic providers also have gluten-free products too.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7721
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Tastefully Gluten-Free products are available in the following Michigan locations (listed alphabetically by city):"

http://www.tastefullyglutenfre e.com/States/Michigan.html

My sister likes Celiac Products in Southgate, since she has a similar condition.

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 176
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think Detroit Evolution Lab serves meals anymore, unless they started up again. I know for sure they stopped a few months ago.

Here are 2 places that have gluten free food:

http://www.wildfloursbakery.co m/

and the other is Bel Cibo in Troy - I don't think they have a website. But they have really great pizza that is gluten free....I can vouch for it personally. :-) They also have burritos, chicken wings, etc.

Lugotown

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i always forget about another place i used to go to in grosse pointe in case you're near there.

Healy's Health Hut
19850 Mack Ave., east of Moross
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI 48236
313-885-5000

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 459
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found this site, http://www.localharvest.org where you can search for local farmers and co-ops that feature organic products, and some of them deliver or have distribution locations.

I went to Meijer this morning and was surprised to find even more organic products than before. One thing, I had made my first trip to Whole Foods specifically to buy some Fage yogurt, since I had heard so much about it. It was about $3.79 for a small cup, and then I didn't care much for it - I bought the one with fruit and it was okay after I mixed it, but nothing that special.

Anyway, this morning at Meijer I see they now sell this yogurt - at $1.79 a cup! They also have Rachel's yogurt, which is also organic. These weren't there before!

No organic cottage cheese though, and still missing some produce, but otherwise, they're coming along pretty well. I'll be visiting one of the Farmer's Markets next weekend to get additional things.

One thing I was reading is that the big brand organics are POSSIBLY not as healthy as they should be, because they can afford to cut corners and "pay off" the USDA. Hmmmm....

Lugotown

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah. i forgot about that site. i get emails from them from time to time. i am really looking forward to gardening this year and finding good places to eat better. isn't that some mess with the difference in price? people often say that if we ask they may stock whatever it is. guess it doesn't hurt to ask. what produce are you looking for that they didn't have?

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 461
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This place I moved to late last year, the owner had a huge garden in the back, and I admit I pretty much scoffed at it, lol. He asked me if I was interested in keeping it up since he had a tiller(?) in the garage for me, but I told him to take it since I couldn't see myself doing it! But after all I've learned in the last few months and certain health challenges that caused me to completely embrace the organic/raw food lifestyle, I'm seriously thinking about bringing his garden back to life when the snow leaves. I haven't done any gardening since I was very young and I would have to start educating myself about it again, but it would be wonderful to be able to step out in the backyard and get fresh natural chemical free produce without worry.

Lugotown, today I was mostly on a hunt for berries, blueberries in particular, and mango and oranges would have been nice. Meijer had both mango and oranges but they didn't look right to me, so I passed. Someone gifted me with a juicer and I'm anxious to try it.

They also were out of organic cottage cheese, and I haven't found quinoa yet. Also, I haven't seen them stock any organic green and red peppers.

Lugotown

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, i am brand new to gardening and was never interested in it until last year when a group of neighbors started a small community garden. well, i reaped the benefits from it late last summer when i got tomatoes (3 diff kinds), peppers (all colors), eggplant, greens, lettuce. i have never tasted produce so good. i decided that i would be hands on this year and help with the planning and upkeep.

i'm taking an urban gardening class and trying to learn as much as possible cause i also want to grow organic. they actually mentioned that tilling is not great for gardens since the layers of dirt are important and when you till, you disturb the order of the layers.

anyway, it's definitely not mango season. but, when it is, not sure if you've tried the little yellow mango's. i am addicted to them. it's getting harder to find some decent oranges. i haven't really found any great berries. i need to go to the eastborn mkt to see what they have.

Lugotown

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you're going to love juicing. i need to do it more. it can be a bit of a hassle to clean up after but there's nothing like fresh juice. i mostly juice carrots, sometimes i mix in an apple or celery or beet. there are so many different combinations. i like experimenting until i find combinations i like.

i also started to do my own homemade smoothies that now, i can't bring myself to get them while i'm out. my girls just love them. i even get them to help me put the ingredients in the blender.

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 469
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beets, that's what I keep forgetting to buy, I've read good things about beet juice.

What kind of carrots do you start with - whole unpeeled? I bought the little cut up peeled ones but apparently these are the wrong ones for the juicer.

Lugotown

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, whole unpeeled, well washed, ends cut. if you can find big fat ones, those are best. the biggest bag i've found unfortunately is at whole foods but they have gone up like double these past few years so i buy them less and less there. they have a bag that's a bit smaller, too. i've actually had some decent juice from some carrots bought at meijer's. the market carrots tend to be skinny and small but they'll work, just need more of them.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9015
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can get some MONSTER carrots at Detroit Wholesale Produce in the Eastern Market...huge bags of them. They constantly beat anything I've found at standard supermarkets.

Tell them the guy from Eph's sent you...

Lugotown

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for the tip gannon. i'll definitely ck them out.

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 247
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too am wondering where i can buy a lot of organic food for cheap. Because my mom does not like going to wholefoods sometimes cause of the prices.
Would anybody recommend the Farmington Hills farmers market as a good place for organic fruits and veggies?

Ruxy17
Username: Ruxy17

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lugotown, can you tell me more about the urban gardening class? that sounds great!

Lugotown

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruxy17- yes, it's through the garden resource program collaborative. there are 4 organizations that have come together to support gardening programs. i am sure there are others on here that are very familiar with the program. i never realized how big urban gardening was and i learned that detroit has another first to brag about. the first urban garden was started in detroit.

the class i'm taking, urban roots, is only offered once a year and i was very lucky to get in this year. i am a newbie but surprisingly have discovered that i love gardening. it's a 9 week course but the collaborative also has educational classes year round. like they just had one last sat on starting seeds indoor. they also do ones like baking bread, canning, making a profit from your garden, getting the youth involved, etc. find more info here: http://www.detroitagriculture. org/Default.htm

the yearly class calendar should be posted soon.

they also have info about the 2009 Garden Resource Program which may be something of interest to anyone in the city looking to start a community, family or school garden. they're accepting applications now.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great info here. Brought back memories of my parents urban garden in their backyard in Rosedale Park. I thought they were wasting time because the Kroger was only 1/2 mile away.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.