Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Community Resources « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 703
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back on December 22, 2008, I said I would start a new thread, another forumer suggested this name. It's clean, neat and to the point. I finally got around to doing this. Even unemployed people have busy and complicated lives. Perhaps more so than the lucky (and deserving) who are still working. I know excuses excuses.

The economy has tanked and many of us with skills, education and work ethic are unemployed/under employed. We don't know how to navigate the system having never been in it. I hope this thread will share information that will help individuals keep their heads above water.

Some of the things I would like to see is the sharing of information regarding free or low cost services regarding health, home retention, essentials such as food, housing, utilities and elder care. In short any service that can help those of us who are currently struggling in this economy.

In addition, I hope people will share free recreational info since that is also an important part of life.

I hope people freely share info and that people with questions will feel comfortable about asking for assistance. Over the past several months on different threads I have learned a lot that has helped. As I can, I will cut and paste some of these posts.

I also hope people who just need a "shoulder to cry on" feel that this is a free way to vent. Nothing is ever hopeless and sometimes it helps to get a little encouragement from people who are in or have gone through a similar crisis.

I personally have learned a lot over the past few years but I don't want to hog the board. Over the next few weeks I will share info I have picked up. I hope, but have no control, that people will keep posts to one subject at a time. If you have a lot to share, make multiple posts.

Sumas

Post Number: 704
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tax returns can be done free for seniors, family and individuals whose gross income is under $75,000. There are eastside and westside Detroit locations. This is funded with grant money. We used this service last year. We did not make a ton of money but our return was complicated. We used this service last year and we were super pleased. Our appointment is a week from today. We even got the same guy we had last year.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7725
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Sumas,
It's tough to admit you need help, even tougher asking anyone for that help.

I was self-employed for many years and paid DTE everything, now that things are topsy-turvey, they want me to prove I'm low-income.

How does one prove a negative? I just want to keep my heat and lights on.

Sumas

Post Number: 707
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for being a first responder. (small, let me re-state, very small joke).

I am not trying to set myself up as an Ann Landers on this thread. But I will try to keep posting to keep this thread up front and real until it takes on its own life.

When that poor old man, froze to death in his home a few weeks back, the Free Press listed several organizations that can help. I'll see if I can dig that info up. I probably don't have that paper any longer but I will check. We keep papers on hand for about a week and then recycle.

If someone can post this info faster that is even better. I have never found utilities to be very helpful, when in need. They want their money now and they are bullies. I might be wrong but I think they can't completely cut you off during winter months. Depending on how long your money has been tight. The Michigan Energy Credit will help pay past energy bills. I hope people will contribute and post more concise information.

Best wishes and hope you get some good feedback from this thread!

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 367
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On WADL (I think) I have seen Maureen Taylor discuss folks that need assistance could contact
http://mwro.org/assistance_%26 _rights.htm

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 5002
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Heat and Warmth fund:

http://www.thawfund.org/about_ us/index.html

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3784
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice thread, Sumas. You pretty much said it all. I have a slow connection, but will post info as I find it.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3785
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rochester Area Neighborhood House. Utilities and food.

http://www.ranh.org

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 5003
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Find a food bank:

http://feedingamerica.org/food bank-results.aspx

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6570
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The man who froze to death was Marvin Schur. The Free Press article to which Sumas referred might have been Money woes raise fears of unpaid utility bills from January 28, 2009. See the sidebar to the right there for "Falling behind on your heating bill?"

I should have just quoted it here.
quote:

Falling behind on your heating bill?

The Michigan Public Service Commission's Winter Protection Plan protects seniors and low-income customers from utility shutoffs between Nov. 1 and March 31. People qualify for the plan if they are 65 or older, receive Michigan Department of Human Services cash assistance, receive food stamps or Medicaid, or have a household income at or below 200% of the poverty level.

To apply, call your local utility company as soon as possible at the customer service number listed on your utility bill.

If you don't qualify for that protection, you may still be able to work out a payment plan with your utility company. Call the customer service number printed on your bill.

Among other resources:

• The nonprofit organization THAW provides winter heating assistance to low-income customers. Call 313-226-9465, info@thawfund.org, www.thawfund.org.
  • The United Way for Southeastern Michigan's emergency hotline also may be able to provide some help. Dial 211.

(Message edited by Jimaz on February 12, 2009)

Sumas

Post Number: 709
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 5:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is for Detroit home owners; low income citizens can get property taxes waived in part or completely.

The process is a bit odd. You have to fill out an application to get an application. The form and guidelines can be obtained from the City Assessor's office. Do this before April!

We spent 1/2 a day at The Coleman A Young Municipal Center in the Assessor's office Monday. A friend who is battling cancer got a notice that his property tax was "uncapped". The city did this in error. So we went to fix it.

We also got the waiver form for him. This is a yearly application. He did this last year successfully. No reason for him not to qualify this year. He is saving over $7000 dollars in property taxes.

I also learned that it is not hard to challenge your city assessed property tax. Just a little time consuming. Go to the assessor's office, take a number, wait get a time stamped document regarding your complaint, go down the hall and wait to talk to an assessor. Take pictures, get adjoining or near neighborhood home sales and any other proof that your home has been assessed too high. One example: maybe five years ago arsonists had a field day burning garages in the area. His garage was one.He is being taxed in part on a structure that no longer exists. No point in challenging his property tax at this point because he qualifies for a full waiver.

People who live in NEZ (neighborhood enterprise zones) also need to apply for this discount. It is not automatic. Get your applications in before April. This applies only to new buyers and buyers that bought within the past few years. Hugh savings in taxes for those that qualify.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 445
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of those community agencies will not help you UNTIL you file an SER (State Emergency Relief) application with the DHS. Whether or not they deny you, you need that status letter from the state to take to THAW and the other agencies. From that point, they accept you into their system, but your first step has to be the SER.

I got help from THAW last month, through a local agency - I don't have their info within reach but I'll come back and post it, but its only for Macomb county. When you call the phone number, the recording explains that you have to get an SER first.

Ironically, while processing my THAW application, the worker was telling me about how her husband had lost his job and how they themselves were suffering and that she was in danger of losing her job as a county worker.

BTW, you don't have to be receiving any type of aid to get an SER. They pay up to $350 on a utility but it has to be in shut off status, so you don't have a lot of time to wait - as soon as you get the shut off notice you need to file the SER and they have to act on it in 7 days.

You can download the SER app from the DHS website, fill it, and turn it in at the office along with all of your docs (soc. sec. cards for all family members, drivers license, birth certs for all kids, lease, proof of income) and that will help expedite your case. Try not to leave off anything to give them a reason to point the finger at you for not doing something right.

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 446
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, I love to point people to angelfoodministries.com for food. I don't get it myself because I'm on a different diet, but its good high quality food and you can't beat the prices. It's not generic or day old or expired, its name brand, fresh, and just like what you'd get at the grocery.

Check out the site and find a local distribution site, they deliver once monthly and you can also view the menu and pick and choose what you want.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 810
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The following 42 (see web page below for others outside the Detroit Area) free clinics — including 24 clinics offering or planning to offer free dental care — in 34 Michigan communities were awarded grants totaling $1 million by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan. The grants will help them continue their mission to provide free or low-cost care to 90,000 patients and, in many instances, expand the number of patients they serve through additional services.

http://www.bcbsm.com/home/comm itment/free_clinics.shtml#top

Brighton —
VINA Community Dental Center,
400 E. Grand River Ave.,
810-844-0240.

Brownstown Twp. —
Wyandotte Clinic for the Working Uninsured,
23050 West Road,
734-365-3560.

Detroit —
Cass Clinic,
3745 Cass Ave.,
313-993-2530.

Detroit —
St. Frances Cabrini Clinic,
1050 Porter St.,
313-961-7863.

Detroit —
Joy-Southfield Health and Education Center,
18917 Joy Road,
313-581-7773.

Detroit —
Order of Malta Medical/Dental Clinic at St. Leo's Catholic Church,
4860 15th St.,
313-897-6565.

Detroit —
St. Vincent de Paul Health Center at Cooley High School,
15055 Hubbell St.,
313-837-5078.

Detroit —
The HUDA Clinic,
1605 W. Davison Ave.,
313-865-8446.

Detroit —
University of Detroit Mercy Counseling Clinic,
4001 W. McNichols,
313-993-1093.

Pinckney —
Mission Medical Clinic,
1066 E. Main St.,
734-474-4627.

Port Huron —
Peoples' Clinic for Better Health,
3110 Goulden St.,
810-985-4747.

Southfield —
Tri-County Dental Health Council,
29350 Southfield Road,
248-559-7767.

Ypsilanti —
Hope Medical Clinic,
103 Arnet St.,
734-481-0111.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 811
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a list of homeless shelters in the Detroit area, from HUD.

http://www.hud.gov/local/mi/ho meless/detshelter.cfm

Sumas

Post Number: 718
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Townonenorth, I copied the list this time.

I was checking the Web to see what I could find out about hospices in Detroit for a friend.

I found this amazing websight called
JuliesList.homestead.com.

She has been compiling a resource list for several years. The education and training list of resources is so amazing that after an hour of reading I quit reading. I swear she has a category and resources for everything under the the sun. first I checked free or low charge dental clinics, then I checked medical than I check the listing for education and retraining and I was blown away. categories for Info on food assistance, numerous support groups by category, domestic violence,the lists go on and on.

Everyone needs to check this site.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3793
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice find, Sumas ! With all the searching I've done, I've never found a site even close to that.

Looks like Julie beat you to it. :-)

Sumas

Post Number: 719
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have spent most of the day looking at the site It just boogles the mind.

Sumas

Post Number: 720
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23 did you see a site where Veterans can get free used cars based on availability?

Bigb23

Post Number: 3797
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Purple Heart or a regional American Legion post for info.

Sumas

Post Number: 722
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I saw a site on Julies list and wondered if you saw it. We are not veterans.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3802
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not for me - I thought it was for your friend. I 've got too much invested in my hooptie. :-)

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 451
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a great site, Sumas! I spent some time over there today just collecting info!

This thread is still very useful too though, because its instant - Julie mentions that she has a lot of links still to update, so it could take a while to get things submitted over there, and some info I found was kind of outdated and not specific. At least here, you can get more detailed information immediately, so let's keep this going too.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3804
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the link only crowd -

http://JuliesList.homestead.co m

Townonenorth

Post Number: 813
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a great site.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4037
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7825
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

needs another bump

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.