Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Remember When You Were a Kid... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3701
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitkidshow.com/ Faygoboat.wmv

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9456
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Special thanks to Ed_golick for that, of course.

For all those HF Corn Syrup theorists out there, remember Faygo makes sodas with pure cane sugar. I mean, makes pop with pure cane sugar. Forgot where I come from for a second.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 470
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awwwwww, that was nice! Now its going to be stuck in my head all day!

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3702
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I KNOW Chrissy - It's been rolling around in my head since I clicked on it! - Just had to post it so others could enjoy what I am!!! LOL

JL - figured Ed had a hand in that. I'm anxious to see something about the old CKLW Bud Davies Dance Party sometime in the not too distant future from him! :-)

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i still remember the words!!

Raj313
Username: Raj313

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG I just started singing right along as if were 197?. Thank you for posting that!

Lferg
Username: Lferg

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody remember "Kids are people too"?

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 1428
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefeg...refresh our memories.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3925
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when I was a kid, but I have to visualize that commercial, because of slow service.

But it works better that way.

Skylark
Username: Skylark

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember "Kids Are People Too" and Patti Smith's appearance on the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Agl4IvNnQPo

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget the Faygo Kid

http://www.detroitkidshow.com/ TheFaygoKid.wmv

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 936
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotta show the youngest them two commercials. There was a Faygo before the ICP.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3014
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"HF Corn Syrup theorists" ?

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 784
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish more people remembered Herkimer Bottleneck. Who was the voice of Herkimer's kindly foreman?

Ed....
....Have you a "classic" end of day signoff somewhere? You know, a local newscast read over a card, maybe a reading of "High Flight"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =IoL-KCFbIpA

followed by a statement over another slide telling about studio and transmitter location, radiated power and etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =lPuO0dkcXXU

of course, followed up with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =JqdCFult7MA

Skylark

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doug, There was a puppet on Captain Kangaroo called Herkimer. I think he was a dragon or an alligator...something like that.
Is that the Herkimer you remember?

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 785
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skylark....
.....are you thinking of Herkimer the dragon on the Jingles show?

Herkimer Bottleneck was the bottle blower who was "too pooPed to participate" in the blowing of Uptown bottles......

Skylark

Post Number: 138
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I got my Herkimers mixed up ... Uptown was before my time. Was Jingles a clown? I can't recall anything about the show.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7808
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Was Jingles a clown"

Yes on Channel 9, aka Jerry Booth.

Anyone else remember that amusement park, Boothland

Larrym65
Username: Larrym65

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jingles was a court jester in Boofland

Jams

Post Number: 7809
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stand corrected on both counts. Thank you.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 969
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skylark,
Herkimer the Homely Doll was a bit on Captain Kangaroo.
http://www.kiddierecords.com/week_52/week_52.m3u
(cut and paste the url. Herkimer will be the second song)

Eriedearie,
Got a few photos from Bud Davies Dance Party, but no footage as of yet. I recently unearthed some super rare footage for my upcoming Detroit TV documentary that Bob Seger fans might be interested in.

Douglasm,
Here's Herkimer the bottle maker.
http://www.detroitkidshow.com/ uptown.htm

Jams,
The Boofland amusement park sucked.

Any other questions???

(Message edited by ed golick on February 26, 2009)

(Message edited by ed golick on February 26, 2009)

Jams

Post Number: 7813
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed,it was like one of those traveling carnivals in the middle of a field, without the elegance. :-)

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the memory Erie. Ray1936, If you're interested, they sell Faygo Pop at a store on Russel Rd. and Boulder Highway.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3738
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome Steamaker :-) I just love that song...brings back soooo many memories. Music really does stir up the memory bank.

And thanks for the update on the Dance Party Ed. I'm anxious to see if there is any footage of my husband dancing the chicken on the show! He claims to have won two prizes and that he was in front of the cameras several times.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.