Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Recent Threads/Posts » Archive through February 21, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5870
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone else noticed that since Christmas, the posts on both sides of the forum have gotten more and more vituperative and just plain nasty? I'm just as guilty as anyone, so don't take this the wrong way.
I'm just wondering if it has anything to do with the very long, cold winter we're having as well as the economy, etc.
Thoughts?

Raj313
Username: Raj313

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Makes sense to me. I cant watch CNN anymore without a bottle of Maylox beside me.

Roadmaster49
Username: Roadmaster49

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole,
Yes there is a slightly more aggresive, negative tone. I challenge myself every time I get on this forum to leave cogent thought provoking comments that border on instigation without being offensive.

What's the point of a forum if it is bland and generic. The only other purpose is informational, which I appreciate reading those posts that TELL me about a Detroit issue but don't always feel compelled to comment.

I love criticism and counterpoint. The nastier the better from a 'positions' standpoint. You will never find me personally slandering anyone even if I could. I have been called a racist on here before, and I welcome those comments, as long as the poster can point out why. Because I do not believe I am a racist and if my comments are seen that way, then I need to modify them or clarify them (to myself if not to the community here)

We will see how the new software goes. Not everything needs posted here and I want to be able to provide my email to some of my contemporaries for off-forum discussions.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3967
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old saying of rat's on a sinking ship, Jcole.
I've seen friend against friend, father against son, and brother against brother before over politics. Now, it's even worse.

Jcole

Post Number: 5872
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roadmaster, I agree that you need point/counterpoint to make things interesting and I don't like bland and generic, either.
I'm talking more on a basis not of positions but more like little kids cooped up in the house together because the weather is bad and they have no one else to take out their venom on.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 472
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When times are tough, some people get down and dirty. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the forum.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 270
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The anonymity of the internet allows some people to be nasty, vituperative and crude. The challenge is to present one's viewpoints in an intelligent, civil manner and not sink to the depths of those who mock and insult.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3969
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vituperative ? Twice ? Where is my word of the day calendar ?

Jcole

Post Number: 5874
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a whole lot of difference between disagreeing with someone and getting in a heated argument with them than there is in saying 'I don't like your politics, so you're an asshole and your mother sews socks in hell'

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 198
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as you hate Bush,Engler,Fox News and think that mass transit and light rail will solve all of our problems,spent your youth stoned at the Garwood Mansion and think that Unions are still relevant you are welcome, present a different point of view and you are called miserable.

Welcome to the forum.

(Message edited by gene on February 21, 2009)

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 983
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Don't forget about St. Jude! Must've been the only church in Detroit.

Jcole, I bet if look back at some old threads, you'll see the same childishness. I find that when people can't come back with a counter-argument, they make personal attacks. It is a sign that that there either is no plausible counter-argument or there is no "knowledge" of one.

Jcole

Post Number: 5880
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, St. Mary's of Redford is out there too. And on the St. Jude thread, we don't throw you out if you didn't go there. We don't call you names or tell you you're going to hell, either.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1677
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People are just tired of the bull shit that goes on here. We want better and things are getting worse. Some people are trying, some don't even care anymore. So it's hard to be all peachy and bubbly when life in the area is a repetitive pissing in your cheerios day in and day out.

I'm an asshole and I've refrained over the years from acting a fool on the forum, but it's harder each day LOL. My rosy outlook is more like smudge covered goggles these days no matter how much I wish my city would improve.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I generally keep my bitchy mood to myself, but I cannot tolerate some of the recent postings. Threads started with the intent of slamming another poster are bullshit--especially when those doing the slamming have complained about similar treatment elsewhere.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3983
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

repetitive pissing in your cheerios day in and day out.

I'm now throwing out my cereal. Sorry, Battle Creek.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheerios come from Minneapolis.

Jcole

Post Number: 5881
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not peachy and bubbly either. I think all of are corn flakes are getting pissed in one way or another. I've been on here 4 years now, and very active for the past year, and it seems to me that the atmosphere has gotten a lot worse in the past few months. It's like no one is listening anymore; they just want to get their point out there and fuck-all to everyone else. If it really made people feel better, that would be one thing, but it seems to just add fuel to the fire.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3929
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aw, when a thread goes off on a tangent and a few folks get their panties in a bunch, I just ignore it all.

Although the recession (depression?) has not affected me at all, the state of the nation has me concerned enough that I feel a bit depressed over it all. But there's not a hell of a lot I can do about it, and biting someone's butt won't do a thing to make it all better.

Wasn't it Thumper who said, "If you can't say anything nice about someone, don't say anything at all." (?)

On the other hand, my wife sometimes says I'm an asshole, so if any of you want to join her chorus, go right ahead. I'm used to it. :-)

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "read" count of a thread reveals interest level. Sometimes a thread is read 999 times but only has a small number of posts, like only 30 or so. Of course some people will repeatedly read (simply by opening) a thread without contributing. The "please say thank you" approach is where forum readers are encouraged to say thank you or indicate some kind of appreciation for the thread (even though they have nothing else additive for the thread).

Also, the new DYes will not relieve you of basic personal security concerns. You may make personal friendships with someone here, and then have a falling out with that person. If there is animosity, the other person (or you) may use info to try and do harm. This does happen unfortunately. Lowell may need to amend or revise DYes user policies.

Some consider DYes to be a platform for informal debate. Others, simply a place to discuss. There is a difference.

Ray1936, your wife would know (just kidding) :-)

Jcole

Post Number: 5882
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think there is a read count on this forum, is there?
My real point in posting this thread was not to determine if D'yes is a debating society, a discussion platform or a place where people go when they're bored. I just noticed an up-tick in nastiness and wondered if others had noticed it and why they think it's occuring. Maybe there needs to be something that is called the 'Cockpit' on another forum that I frequent, where people get sent when their vitriol gets to be too much for the moderator and other users. He sends them to the Cockpit to duke it out before they can come back to the rest of the population.
Then again, doing that here might end up in Non-Detroit being permanently empty

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read count will come with the DYes upgrade.

Agreed on the appearance of a nastiness uptick. Why, I dunno.

"... where people get sent when their vitriol gets to be too much for the moderator and other users"

Like a time out for bickering or misbehaving children :-)

Jcole

Post Number: 5883
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kind of, but they get to go and have it out in a place where they don't disturb the flow of the other users. Either they end up being okay with each other or they never speak again. Either way, it's win-win. Like when the gym teacher used to make the guys put on the gloves and have an organized go at each other for fighting.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9041
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My MOM quoted Thumper?! I always thought she made that one up herself.

Ray, she may think so, but you see where she still sleeps...at least you're HER's, heh.

I dunno, I've seen things get better and worse here over the years...but this winter has been so cold and white and deep that we may be reflecting that on the forum.

Cheers, anyways!

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2220
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can't read all threads all the time and rely on the forum to report rules violations. Name calling is strictly forbidden and will result in immediate banning of a newbie. No explanation will be given. We don't have time for even that. Members with seniority get one warning and that it is it. The new forum software will carry a 'report post' icon and link on every post. Furthermore, the ability to ignore members will cause their posts to not display. Hopefully this will combine to reduce conflict.

Once again, whenever I hear this, I invite everyone to got through every thread. I will bet you will find only a very few percent that go foul. Everyone hears the squeaking wheel, not all the ones running smoothly.

Jcole

Post Number: 5885
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was largely kidding about the Cockpit set up. It works on the other site because there is really only one major thread with some minor ones that don't get used very much. The moderator reviews comics and then there's a couple days of discussion, which surprisingly can get fairly political and heated amidst the jokes.
I've just been noticing an increase in animosity and touchiness, and wondered if we're all suffering an advanced case of cabin fever. At least that will be easily relieved when the sun comes back out and we get some warmer weather.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1797
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the nearly nine years I've been here, people have been saying the forum has gone downhill, people are getting meaner, etc. I don't think that is the case. I think it is cyclical. It has its up and downs, but it doesn't get better or worse. It just evolves.

Some of the long time posters will remember when Velma or Julie would start a thread about the acidity level here. Why is it that it's always a woman to start these threads?

Gannon

Post Number: 9047
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because they are the only ones brave enough to finally speak out against our repeated debate/discussion mutual-sadism?!

Gannon

Post Number: 9048
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, Cheddar, I thought you would take my setup from earlier and make a decent Aryan necrophilia joke, at least.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1799
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went right past me there, Luv-Hifi.

Jcole

Post Number: 5890
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why is it that it's always a woman to start these threads?

I don't know, I'm either sensitive or bored. Maybe both. Depends on the day.