Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Recent Threads/Posts » Archive through February 26, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3016
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

vituperative

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5902
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sarcasm.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 5062
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Some of the long time posters will remember when Velma or Julie would start a thread about the acidity level here. Why is it that it's always a woman to start these threads?

Maybe because women are taught to smooth over conflict? I don't know. I don't like it in real life, but on the interwebs it can be amusing. Carry on with the acid. (No, not that kind Gannon.)

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 158
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the weather. I know I'm ready to kick some SNOW'S ASS!!

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2313
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm under a lot of stress lately, and not really putting much, if any thought into my posts lately. I also have absolutely no idea how to handle mean spirited criticism (sarcasm, mean jokes, etc.).

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1802
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

also have absolutely no idea how to handle mean spirited criticism

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6652
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suppose this article from today's Free Press might be related: Crime may rise as recession deepens.

Of course bickering isn't illegal but I would expect they can both stem from the same frustration.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2177
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Cheddar brings the thread full circle!

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1805
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a unifier.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 942
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All this Bitching on this site is nothing compared to what goes on in my house. Sorry if my writin ain't good nuff for all ya'll.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 754
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 6:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheddar, Re read Faulkner's speech when he accepted a Nobel's peace award, entitled, "Man will prevail". It is very insightful.

I admit to sometimes wanting to be confrontational. My recent fun was on the Garwood Thread. I told a truth and got vilified.

I got support from insiders that my info was essentially correct but none the less I got attacked.

I welcome dialogue. Through dialogue, comes truth.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2798
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is typical at this time of year. Winter starts to wear people down, not much going on until spring.
Then of course you have the psychophants, cheerleaders (Detroit is the greatest city with no problems...)entrenched mindsets and some BS.

Have fun and remember playing nice is only for those who can't play at all.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 574
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then of course you have the self-admitted Detroit haters. ^^^

Goat, I think the "Detroit is the greatest city with no problems" cheerleaders exist in your imagination more than in reality. You reference them a lot, but I really don't see that kind of attitude on this board.
There are a lot of people here who love the city, but no one is so naive or blind to believe that the city has no problems. You just seem to have an objection to anyone loving the city that you admit that you hate.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2316
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheddar, my only real problem with you is not that you hit me personally in threads, it's that you bring them off topic. The Studio Couture thread was about Studio Couture until you asked why I didn't just go there. No one cares why I do or do not go anywhere... well, except you apparently.

Nobody cares.

I see this happen between others on threads all the time. Saying personal things about people only brings topics off track by talking about the posters instead of the topic.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1987
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Nobody cares."

Done and done.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1809
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The Studio Couture thread was about Studio Couture until you asked why I didn't just go there

No, it was still about Studio Couture. It was just about how you were too lazy to go to Studio Couture yourself.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1812
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas, I read the speech, but it was hard to digest becuase of the picture of Faulkner at the top of the page with his sweet, sweet Hitler 'stache.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 530
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 3:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been called very rude names by someone on this forum, told I was going to rot in hell and to f off. My post had been dissected to the last letter by this person and without even knowing who and what I am made a value judgement on me. I made a formal complaint and nothing was ever done about it. No one but no one has the right to name call and tell someone they are going to hell when they die. This person had absolutely no care or concern for my feelings and that I would be hurt and even terrified from his words. He just took it upon himself to hate me and judge me even though we are total strangers. And to tell me something as horrific as go to hell, well that was evil in and of itself. I had just been trying to state in that post that I was a Christian who cared about that Walmart employee getting trampled at Christmas. And all so people could buy their bargains. I had a total right to my opinion which didn't seek out to hurt anyone's feelings nor was there a single threat in what I said, quite the opposite, more a feeling of getting along and recognising the true meaning of the season. But, to have someone say they hoped I fing died and went to hell because I was what they called me and I only had to ask a certain person, again a total stranger was akin to a terroristic threat.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 531
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 3:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to add, the person to whom I am referring who made those threats has a type of cheese at the first part of his moniker here. The Thread was about the Walmart Employee who was trampled.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1815
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boo Hoo, Diane. Don't act like you were Little Miss Riding Hood minding your own business and the big bad wolf came and attacked you. From what I remember you deserved what was said. I believe it was some assuming, sanctimonious, bullshit that incorrectly assumed that everyone else thought (or should think) the same way you do.

You are taking real liberties with the truth, also. If someone told you to "rot in hell", it wasn't me. If someone told you to fuck off, it wasn't me, either. I may have said that I felt your actions would make you go to hell, but isn't that just an opinion that I am allowed to have just like you are?

And nobody ever said they "hope you fucking die". You're lying. If you made a "formal complaint" and nothing was done, did you ever consider that maybe what was said to you was justified?

BTW, your last sentence (post 530) is an unintelligible bag of crazy. Could you straighten it up a bit so we can understand what you're trying to say?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9488
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheddar Bob you're mean and I'm telling and you shouldn't be so mean because you are mean and I don't deserve it you don't even know me so why are you being such a meanie to me you should be nice to everybody and not call them bad names and you should help Detroit rise instead of holding it down with your bad names and your bunny rabbits.

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually just read the text of the post by Bob and seriously, Bob is correct. Splitting hairs, but correct.

Goat

Post Number: 2805
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown_lady, when there are murders here or some act of violent crime the psychophants come out and state it happens in every city. Big deal! The difference is it is happening here and now!
I do hate this region. Are you telling me you love it here? Wouldn't you rather have a properly functioning region without 18% unemployment a lower crime rate? A properly functioning gov't?
Are you telling me you don't hate these things? Are you telling me you don't hate the fact we can't attract business for all of the BS?

People like Cheddar_bob and others are going to challenge the "walk-in-line" mentality that many of the sheeple spout about. The "either think like us or we will attack" BS will not be put up with any longer. We all will state things the way WE see it. If you see it differently then fine but we will continue to challenge the idiocy of all it well in the D or on any other thread.

(Message edited by GOAT on February 26, 2009)

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2323
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one gives two shites that Cheddar is mean Johnlodge. The problem is that he does it strictly for enjoyment, and worst of all, he bings down topics.

Cheddar isn't challenging walk-in line or anything. He seems to simply get his yahoos by being an asshole. He often doesn't practice what he preaches (he wastes more time than me on here, doesn't visit the venues he ridicules others for not visiting, etc.). He enjoys being hated and bringing down threads (why I still think he is a form of troll). Anyone can be a joke cracking donkey, Cheddar is not original or doing anything new. He is trying to get attention, and show the rest of you he's cool. Because... being cool is what really matters.

Diane12162, don't worry, your not alone in your feelings. It's apparent to me he has zero apparent good intentions for Detroit or this forum. If you search his posts, you'll see he uses the same ridicule for everyone all over the forum.

(Message edited by sean_of_detroit on February 26, 2009)

Goat

Post Number: 2809
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He sure is Sean. We are too damned tired of people coming here (or anywhere) with a be all nice and give each other group hugs to tell each other everything is alright when it clearly isn't.
When people post ridiculous questions that they can get after doing a quick google search. Or when people spout stupid shit that is false. If it is an opinion state it, don't tell it as a fact.
The rah-rah-rah cheerleading has to go! If people want change then they have to embrace the ugly side of this region. Too many people gloss over it or state they know it's bad. Well that isn't enough! This isn't flower power time! Talk about the crap in order to remove it!

Some of these people deserve what they get especially the ones who go on attack if they don't agree with a viewpoint. Don't like it? Anyone can leave at any time.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9491
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheddar pairs well with all this whine.

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 579
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Goat, I do not think murders and violent crimes are no big deal.
Yes Goat, I would rather have lower unemployment and a lower crime rate.
Yes Goat, I would rather have a properly functioning government.
Yes Goat, I still love Detroit warts and all. I don't think anything in my post said differently.

I said that the "Detroit is the greatest city with no problems" cheerleaders exist in your imagination more than in reality. I said that no one is so naive or blind to believe that the city has no problems. Did I say that the problems don't exist or that I love the problems?

What exactly are we disagreeing about then? You just can't stand the fact that I still love the city, in spite of its problems. Get over it, OK? Your hatred is not going to convince me to be hateful. It seems like you won't be content until everyone agrees that they hate the city, and that's not going to happen.

Since I guess I need to explain it to you, loving the city does not equal ignoring the problems, loving the status quo or not working to change the problems. Once again, your logic does not follow.

Goat

Post Number: 2813
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing wrong with loving your city Downtown_lady. But don't get upset with me because I hate all the BS and the damage it has caused. Don't pick me out of a crowd and nulify the good things some of us do when we speak about the problems we have created.
The fact of the matter is we created the majority of it. By "we" I mean the population.

So understand where I am coming from and maybe we might be able to change some things. I will show the warts that many others may want to gloss over. I will attack the mindset that Detroiters can fix the problems themselves (no they can't as time has proven that) and that outsiders are not wanted. They may not be wanted but they sure are needed!

I will certainly talk about good things when they happen but I am definitely going to go on the attack when the same crap happens every single day. I am fed up with the nonsense of this region and the insecurity we have against others.

I don't want or need anyone else to hate the city. What I want is for people to recognize that is is THEIR fault. Whether through inaction, apathy or other people have to realise that it is them who can make the changes along with any help that others are willing to give.

I hope I have explained myself a bit better and you understand where my vitriol is coming from.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1548
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, back off the Cheddar argument. That's a fight you cannot win.

As for Goat, bitch all you like. We all do what we can, but those volunteering are out-numbered by those who take. Sometimes it does get me down, but I just keep looking for the good. Sometimes it's the only way to keep things sane.

As for your issue with hugging, piss off.

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 581
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for that post, Goat -- I understand where you're coming from. I do not mean to minimize the good that you have done.

I appreciate that you speak the truth and do not gloss over things, but sometimes your posts are off-putting (e.g. "You should have picked up a piece of glass and threw it at her face. Then shove her down and carved "shit-heel" on her forehead. It is the only way these fucking assholes will ever learn! Burn it down!!!) I think your message may get lost in the shocking words.

Now, group hug for all, since I know you love that so much. (just kidding!)