Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Paging Eric_c « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 764
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re: Islandview Property Taxes. We spent quite a lot of time at city hall in the tax division. Our name is on the deed (quit claim)and the city decided to uncap our friends taxes thinking there was a transfer. We spent 4 hours down there to settle this matter The attorney set it up as an exemted transfer, we don't get the house until our friends death. Even though it took so long, we had a very nice chat with the assessor. The following week we were down there to file forms for tax abatement for low income citizens for him. Which I hope he gets since his income is so low from Social Security Disability.

Here is my question, in rounded figures, taxes went from $7,000 to $8200 when it was uncapped. They recapped it. The house had an assessed value of $81,000. Just got official notice that the assessed value is now $40,000. We didn't petition anyone so we are a little surprised. This is a good thing for us since no way could we pay over $8,000 a year for taxes when the house is ours.

Just curious if you got a similar adjustment. Your section of Islandview is more dense and obviously stable.
Top of pageBottom of page

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 746
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never got any adjustments other than up!

Both of my houses had been off the market for over forty years, so the tax rates were set for the old residents - literally a few hundred dollars per year.

Knowing the taxes would readjust, I planned for an increase and put more into my escrows, thus paying toward the new taxes. Twice, the mortgage company sent me a refund because I had "over-paid", but once everything caught up, I was able to just send them back the money and continue with my monthly payment.

It's probably TMI, but I pay $2,400 per year in taxes on one and about $3,600 on the other; I think it's fair considering what other communities pay and I end up getting tons more house.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.