Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Rooming Houses « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 186
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

....does such a thing exist in Detroit? I ask because I have just found out that my boyfriend's mother is coming to the US from Guyana in May. It's her first visit abroad and she's coming to NY to attend her granddaughter's wedding. She plans to be in NY for 3 weeks and then wants to spend an additional month or possibly two in Detroit. Of course I want her to stay with me but the problem is that I live on a 4th floor walk up and she is in her 70's and has arthritis. Climbing the steps to my loft on a regular basis is not going to be something she can do. I found a place in Wyandotte that is lovely at $100 a week but I'd rather find something closer to me here in the city. She's a lovely rasta woman who has her own church back home in Georgetown and I'm thrilled that she's able to see a little of the world now. :-) I'm just very concerned about her being able to climb those steps, although she is quite healthy, it's a chore for an elderly woman. Anybody have any knowledge of affordable and decent rooms/temporary housing, please let me know.

Also, I'm Buddhist so I'm not familiar with any churches here in Detroit. I'd like recommendations for a nice Sunday worship service that I can take her to while she is here visiting.

TIA!

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 469
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a number of rooming houses here in Hamtramck When I first moved here I rented a room for $225.00 oer month and that included all utilities. it was 12X12 and I shared a bath and there was a kitchen and dining area. I think there was about 12 rooms in the house.and 2 very nice renovated baths that were cleaned every day never had any problems in 7 months I lived there. You might try to find one here http://hamtramckcitizen.com/

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 817
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our friend on Field in historic Islandview Village near Belle Isle has had a rooming house for years. The house is lovely. The rooms are fully furnished. That includes all utilities, cable, internet, house priviledges and a gracious host.

He charges $300 a month. The bedrooms are on the second floor however. The master staircase is easy to access, with plenty of bannisters for support.

Check it out if it is near your area of town. His name is Pat and contact number is 313 922-7306

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Norwalk & Sumas. She told me this evening that she is determined to stay with me, regardless of the steps. But I appreciate your help. :-)

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2989
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At my mom's place, the elevator in her six story building was out for over six months, and elders had to climb to their aerie apartments. My mom was on the fifth floor, and she probably could have made it, but she had moved just before. All the neighbors seemed to get through it just fine.
You might want to have an alternative in mind, just in case, though.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.