Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Peugeot « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 521
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So flipping through a 1970s magazine I cam across a ad for the lovely Peugeot (604) when they were still in the American market. It's unfortunate, in my opinion, that they are no longer sold here and even illegal to import. Does anyone know if there were any Peugeot dealers in the Metro area or if any dealerships jointly sold with Peugeot?

Did anyone here own a Peugeot?

(Message edited by dtowncitylover on March 20, 2009)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2436
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They wern't that bad, but then they wern't that good either. Inadequate dealer body compared to other imports. Once the Japanese cars stopped rusting during the boat trip from Japan, and improved their quality a lot of marginal European brands became unnecessary-Fiat, Peugeot, Austin--to name a few. The buyers who didn't want a 19 ft, 5,00 lb. American tank gave up those European brands for Toyota, Datsun (now Nissan) and Honda.
We still have VW, they rise and fall in the US market, Volvo and Saab as divisions of US companies now, and of course, BMW and Mercedes for the crowd who won't drive anything else and are willing to pay a premium to do so.

Kelton
Username: Kelton

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the early 60's my parents owned 2 Peugeots, a 403 and a 404. I learned to drive a stickshift on those cars. If I'm not mistaken, they bought them at a Buick dealership back in Allentown PA. C&G Buick was the name of the dealership and my parents always referred to it as Crooks and Gangsters! I've found pictures of those models on the internet, but am unable to re-size (yes, I saw the other threads.) If I can find the site, I'll post a link.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2127
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Out of a job yet?

Keep buying French!

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 522
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha Fury. I would really like one...perhaps the day I get rich I'll buy one in France and just keep it there in garage. The day I buy a new car I'll buy American or a VW.

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 196
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the dealers right by the GM building sold Peugeots in the late 80's. This 1991 directory lists only Joe Ricci in Detroit....

http://www.newsassociates.com/peugeot.html

It was Dalgleish Cadillac Peugeot:

http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/bcs_corp/dt_corp.asp?id_nbr=183205&name_entity=DALGLEISH%20CADILLAC%20PEUGEOT

(Message edited by rooms222 on March 21, 2009)

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2981
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a dealer on Old Woodward in Birminham that sold them, too. Birmingham Motors, maybe.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 477
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my sister owned one it was a late 70's model and she didnt have it for long it was always in the shop. $$$$

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 789
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe at one point in the late 60's Hodges sold them in Ferndale out of their little import dealership on the corner of Woodward and East Cambourne.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 829
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're illegal to import?? why?

The Peugeot 206 was a pretty cool rally car when I used to watch WRC a few years ago.

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 524
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're illegal to import because they don't meet "United States emission standards" is what I hear. Except on some of the auto blogs, people are actually praising Peugeot for having better gas mileage and excellent engines than some of their American and European counterparts. Peugeot makes great looking cars and I am awaiting the day they are allowed to and come back into the American market. I might even write a stern letter to USDOT and a pleading letter to Peugeot!

When/if they come back, I plan to buy their new Peugeot 3008 Crossover.

(Message edited by dtowncitylover on March 21, 2009)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 4008
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would buy a Peugeot or any other foreign car only after you peel my Ford keys from my cold, dead hands.

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 527
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll buy an American car only after you peel my European manufactured car keys from my cold, dead hands. lol.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 999
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 3:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did see them on the WRC, and wondered why they stopped selling them here.I have a Peugeot bike,Outta my 12 bicycles it is one of the only complete ones I have.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2843
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, it had two wheels a crankshaft and gears. The bicycle lasted about 2 years before it fell apart.

Reddog289

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No wonder I got that bike. It was unloved.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 1894
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just in France, and the new Peugeot 308 CC is (IMO) a nice little convertible. Something the North American Manufactures have yet to figure out how to build (and no the Lebaron didn't count)...

http://www.peugeot.co.uk/about-peugeot/news/july-september/peugeot-308-cc/

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 528
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome photos! Thanks Aiw. I'm surprised they don't sell them in Canada at least, or just in Quebec.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 750
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIW said-

"Something the North American Manufactures have yet to figure out how to build (and no the Lebaron didn't count)..."

------------------------------ --------------------

Don't care for the new Sebring with the retractable hardtop?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 1895
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric C - Sorry - Upon re-reading my post, it appears I edited out the part where I said "small convertibles". Nothing against the sebring but I don't consider the Sebring to be "small".

As you can see in the photos above, this car is much smaller than a Sebring.

I do however have my fingers crossed for an alliance with Fiat. The 500 is a nice little car. Peppy too, I'd love to get into one...

Reddog289

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Fiat, When did they stop selling cars here?. I belive that Overseas Motors is still operating on Plymouth Rd in Livonia. It allways was strange to me seeing old Fiats in the showroom long after they quit selling them.

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 540
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father spotted a Peugeot 407 today. He followed the car from University & Rochester Rd. about a mile down to Hamlin. It had manufacturer plates. I was so excited to hear that.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.