Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Peter Vetal Elementary School in the 1970's « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A good elementary school that served south Rosedale Park, Grandmont and the area from around Evergreen Road to the west and Schoolcraft to the south. Caring teachers and a great greenhouse as well.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember the nerdy shop teacher circa 1973 to 1975 - what was his name? He was kind of wierd, but he cared. I remember making wooden knick-knacks to bring home to my mother.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any Vetal Alumni out there?

Vetal 75 here.

1) Remember the greenhouse?
2) Remember the 7th or 8th grade Social Studies teacher (male) who wore glasses?
3) Remember the kid who was killed around 1973 or 1974 after being hit by a truck while running across Schoolcraft? (near Artesian I think)
4) Remember any of the kids with the last name Freed who lived on Greenview? There father owned Hank Freed Auto Parts on 1502 East 7 Mile Road (about 6 blocks east of I-75)
5) Remember Harpers Candy Store, Dairy Queen, And Ringler Drugs? (all of which were on the north side of Schoolcraft between Greenview and Faust)
6) Remember playing football at the Rosemont Acacia Playground? (Acacia at the south bound Southfield Expressway)
7) Remember the huge adjustment required to move on to Redford High School?

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

79-81 Right here.
Mrs Oden for 2nd grade
Mrs Williams for 3rd grade
Mrs Lerin for Fourth grade

I stayed on Stahaelin and Schoolcraft. spent time at Stoepel Park. Remember The Principle. Dr Earnott (or something like that?) and Mrs Masterson... I actually hated Vetal because we never did anything for lunch. We stayed in our classes all day. Later on (starting the year we moved to Oak Park) my mother started taught there for 6 or so years.

I do remember Ringlers, F&S and Butcher Boy. Do anyone remember the Hospital that was torn down on Schoolcraft near Artesian?

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs. Masterson! Wow, I remember her. Thanks for that reminder. I remember playing outside the school along the northern side were the big playground was. About 50 of us used to always play tag running from the fence along Westbrook to the fence on the other side on Grandville.

Stoepel Park was fun - I especially liked riding bikes through the "woods" (that was kind of scary). Older kids liked to party there and would make out in the woods. There was a double homicide there one night in either the very late 70's or very early 80's.

Don't recall a hospital at Artesian and Schoolcraft. Was it maybe a clinic or something? I belive there was some kind of office type space in that block though.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 198
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hospital was Martin Place West-very small like Redford Community on Grand River

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 700
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't Martin Place West an Osteopathic Hospital?

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_w:
Yeah, now that the actual name "Martin Place West " was mentioned, I do recall that small hospital near Artesian and Schoolcraft. I remember the Redford Community Hospital on Grand River as well.

And was'nt there a burger joint at the southwest corner of Schoolcraft and Evergreen?

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Izzadore:
I'm wondering what is or was F&S? Was it a store?

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 454
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking through the sponsors list for the 1975 Redford High School yearbook reminded of the Harold Wright Florist shop at 18523 Schoolcraft near Faust.

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember that florist.

Sorry Vetal.

F&S was a party store at Stahelin and Schoolcraft. There was also a store on Artesian and Schoolcraft called Lawsons...

I took my fiancee through that area not too long ago to show her where I grew up and I must say that area is still extremely pleasant. It's the main arteries that need 'corrective action.'

Panther036
Username: Panther036

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW! I went to Vetal never thought anyone would have heard of it. Make me feel good I went there...LOL! Does anyone have any pictures

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 456
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Searched my own personal collection and have yet to locate any Peter Vetal Elementary School photographs. I'll ask fellow alumni if they have any to share.

There is a 1940s 4x5 of Vetal on the Wayne State University Virtual Motor City web-site. Go to the Wayne State University Virtual Motor City web-site and do a search on "vetal".

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 478
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry - no photographs of Vetal have been found (yet). We'll keep trying.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.