Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Stoepel Park in the 1970's « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stoepel Park # 1.

Great City park with all the amenities.

Little leagues and adult softball leagues played there almost daily on the diamonds on the east side of the park.

Picnic grounds on the West Outer Drive side (norht side of the park) were clean and plentiful.

The many tennis courts (approximately 8) on the south end of the park were known throughout Detroit's west side for there quality. The water fountain between the tennis courts saved us kids from almost dying of thirst many times. Lot's of tennis tournaments were held there.

The fairly significant amount of woods on the east side were very cool to a kid as they were fun to run through and ride bikes through. There were trails through the woods which were like a treasure hunt because interesting things were always found in there. Older kids made out in there and partied in hidden confines of the woods.

At night it was a scary place to be. Lot's of rumors of the goings on in there at night put fear in youngsters.

(Message edited by vetalalumni on May 23, 2007)

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is currently your 5th topic about something "in the '70's". Just saying...

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1492
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm hoping for a 6th and more. Life seemed so much better back then.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 403
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stoepel still has a great baseball and football program. Thanks to the efforts of the Rosedale Grandmont Baseball League the fields were renovated some years ago. On a Saturday morning/afternoon the area ia packed with baseball games on every diamond.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the comment Mbr about the recent number of 1970's threads. The intent is to have each thread to focus on just the topic at hand and not to "wander all over the map" as a lot fo threads do.

Not intending to alienate or make anyone uncomfortable.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is great to know about the Park still going strong. People often look suprised when I tell them I'm from Detroit. They typically are surprised about the positive experiences that readily tell them I had growing up there.

Now raising a family out here on the west coast and don't make it back there often enough. This Forum helps.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 201
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Played ball there in early 70's and after I took up tennis, I played a lot at Stoepel. During winters they flooded the old wading pond and we played hockey on it. As I remember the woods you describe were more like long hedgerows of bushes with a trail going through it. they ran from the east end of the tennis courts down the south end over to the eastern end of the park. Spent many fine days there over the years

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would that be Stopel Park #1 or #2?

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are correct Eric_w, hedges is a more appropriate term than "woods" to describe the vegetation at Stoepel Park. Just my over-active imagination at work. I will say this, as a kid these "woods" were a great place of adventure into the unknown.

If memory serves me, I tried my first cigarette in those "woods".

There were quite a few fairly large trees on the east side of the park as I remember. Are they still there, or did Dutch Elm do them in?

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Winstin_o_boogie_iii:
Referring to Stoepel Park # 1. I'm actually not even familiar with Stoepel Park # 2.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stoepel Park #2 is at W Chicago and Asbury Park

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why two Stoepels?

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm curious as well.

1) Anyone have history on who was Stoepel?
2) Why were two different parks developed?
3) What, if anything, was there before the park?

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 480
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been unable to locate any historical or background information about Stoepel Park # 1 (or # 2 for that matter). The internet seems to reveal nothing useful about Stoepel as it relates to Detroit. As I reside in another state, I do not have access to local resources there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.