Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Speed Limit Increases to 70 MPH « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4595
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know we've discussed this in the past as something that was going to happen. But last night I noticed that the limit has been increased to 70MPH on I-94 north of 9 1/2 Mile (Stephens).

Have any other freeways posted new 70 MPH signs?

From what I understood, the state wasn't going to change all the signs yet, and tickets were still being given out under the old signage.

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

696 between 94 and 75 have the new 70 m.p.h. signs already up.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same thing with I-75 north from at least I-696.

I know they are doing this because supposedly the average speed measured has kept increasing over the years. But by raising the limit, I think people will just drive faster and the average sped will keep increasing. Doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 686
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

driving over 55 wastes gas.

Gistok

Post Number: 4597
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss_cleo, your comment reminded me of something... there aren't ANY freeways close to Charlevoix.... are there? :-)

Innovator
Username: Innovator

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i believe i-75 north from 94 is now 70mph, and i also think all of 696 is now 70mph. just waiting for the lodge to get bumped up to 65 (at least the stretch from 8 mile to 94)

Hawthorne
Username: Hawthorne

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are still some areas of freeways where the speed limit drops from 70 to 65 or 55 for no apparent reason. For example, travelling eastbound on M-59 from Rochester, shortly after you enter Macomb County, the freeway becomes depressed below the surface but maintains its 70 mph speed limit for a while. The limit drops to 55 at some arbitrary point well before the freeway ends in Utica--but why?.

There was a rule some time ago that urban freeways were limited to 65 if the surrounding population density was over a certain threshold. This never made much sense to me and I don't even know of this is still in force.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 688
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, nope, no freeways. But a lot of 2 lane roads where the speed limit is 55

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2349
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just guessing that the 85th percentile rule may have something to do with these changes.

Jimaz

Post Number: 2350
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stumbled into an archived thread that mentions the M-59 speed limit:
Yay, another speed limit is raised for safety
quote:

Hairybackjoe
Username: Hairybackjoe

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 5:35 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
This may be a little late, but I also saw where the speed limit on M59 was raised to 70 right out of Utica there (it used to be 55 and the 65 at Dequindre).

Gistok

Post Number: 4598
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the links Jimaz... it was interesting reading about the world wide speed limits.

As someone who has driven on the German Autobahn, I have to say that "Fahrvergnügen"... is certainly the right word to describe it... "driving pleasure". No country has such wonderful freeways! The high standards of the quality of the concrete and asphalt roadway surface (and depth) is unbelievable... especially compared to our often crumbling Interstate system. (zoom zoom)

Jimaz

Post Number: 2352
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, learn something new every day:
quote:

The first speed limit was the 10 mph limit introduced by the Locomotive Act of 1861 (or "Red Flag Act") in the United Kingdom (automobiles were in those days termed “light locomotives”).

Gistok

Post Number: 4600
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim,

One of the funniest things about early automobiles was (and I can't remember the year)... the first 2 automobiles in the state of Kansas... had a car accident with each other!

What a hoot! :-)

Jimaz

Post Number: 2353
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you had a car like this, you could argue "But officer, my speedometer indicated I was going negative 90 MPH. That's well under the limit."

(I don't think he'd buy it.)

I do so much want a car like that. Notice how he could crab it sideways?!

Ha! It's a Trabant, the world's more horrible car!

(Message edited by Jimaz on June 19, 2007)

Gistok

Post Number: 4602
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember my first visit to the former East Germany in the early 1990's, after having only seen it the previous few decades from across the Iron Curtain (I was born in West Germany only 8 miles from the East/West German border).

Those Trabants looked like toy cars for kids!

My cousin told me stories about the 15-20 mile backup of cars (mostly Trabants) coming across the border at their crossing when each East German was given 100 Deutschmark by West German banks in November 1989 when the border first opened.

It musta looked like a parade of Shriner's in their minicars! :-)

Jimaz

Post Number: 2361
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I first learned of the Trabant from some Russian colleagues. They had a serious love/hate relationship with it. Their biggest complaint was the smoke it produced but they loved how easily it could be modified.

Cars should be fun. Fun sells.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1572
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"driving over 55 wastes gas."

Yep - and increases gas tax revenue for Ms Granholm.

Fill up those short-bus SUVs folks, times a wastin. Saudi Arabia aint getting rich with that 4,000 pounds of steel just sitting in your driveway - get the hell out there and DRIVE.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 689
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

poor Granholm, with school out since the 7th, I have driven my truck a grand total of 4 times-yipee!

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"driving over 55 wastes gas."

Uses more gas, not wastes it. Driving 45 uses less gas than driving 55, and staying at home uses even less. How many hours of your life are worth the gas you'll save?

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 694
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wha???

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't seen the speed increase on 94 by 9 mile rd. Speaking of saving gas...I am looking at buying a Mazda 3 or a Honda Civic 2 dr. Ive seen the gas prices rising in the past few days. On Monday when I was on my way home from work I was driving on Mound Rd. in Sterling Heights and say gas for 2.99 a galllon reg. Now it's 3.15 a gallon, what kind of BS is that...Ohhh sorry this is my first post here....Hi everyone....!

Gistok

Post Number: 4610
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum Civil... !

The MPH increase only starts NORTH of Stephens (9 1/2 Mile) and will likely not go above 55 south of there or in the city.

Now that said, with the Michigan economy is such turmoil, why are you only looking at imports? Why not give the domestic autos a look at?

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have....just the price of how much some of them cost. I do like the Pontiac G6(6 cylinder version). I also have test drove the Ford Fusion. I am also factoring my budget/cash flow as well. The Mazda3 is a real well built car, and for it's category it's ranked very high. I just posted about the Saturn Astra in one of the other topics, it has caught my attention as a smaller car. I don't want a big car like I have now. I own a 95 LeSabre. I would like to help with the economic situation here, also I like a car with good gas mileage. Some of the GM vehicles aren't all that great, but the ones that have good MPG are not the style of car that interests me.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Civilprotectionunit4346 - check out the Speedway at 9 and I-94, we call it "the crazy station" because its prices change several times daily, and range about 40 cents. Its 3.15 today, but was 3.29 two days ago, and a few days earlier it was 2.99 - even before the others came down. F'ed up.

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah some of these gas stations ive seen near where I work in Troy have crazy fluxuating prices. I saw one on my lunch for 3.25. Ugghhh, I am going to wait till the fall when they have the end of the year sales and see who will have the best deals on getting rid of there end of the year models.

Oilcan_harry
Username: Oilcan_harry

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its kind of a fluke, but my old Buick Century gets 2 MPG better mileage at 70 than it does at 55. Weird, but true. Must be a mechanical "sweet spot" in the rev range.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always shop around for gas. Certain areas you just shouldn't buy gas. I've seen a difference of 20 cents in price just riding down any street.

The stations at Grand River and Halsted, for instance, are always about 15 to 20 cents higher than the average. I'm amazed people keep pulling in there. I bet most never even try to find a cheaper station.

(Message edited by sturge on June 24, 2007)

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 200
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drive 55 on the highways...the best is if you can draft off a semi-truck....unbelievable gas mileage!!

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh your mentioning the mythbusters episode...Yeah if you don't mind riding directly by the trucks bumper. I saw the sign for the speed increase by 9 1/2 mile on 94 yesterday. Speaking of cars...im saving some cash up for a new one, I was mentioning that before.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 223
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Noticed that the limit is up on 96 too.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.