Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Tips needed on where to buy in the city (yet again) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Slider
Username: Slider

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greetings all,
After two years of simply reading others postings, I'm finally joining in on the posts (sadly its with a topic that has been discussed to death).
My partner and I are considering moving from Ypsilanti to Detroit and are looking for suggestions. We have rehabbed two homes and are frankly a little fed up with living in construction so we would like something that is already done and doesn't need work. So I think we are leaning toward a loft or condo. We checked out Research Lofts and really them, but I wanted to hear suggestions of other good projects. We'd like to stay under $200k. Thanks!

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 176
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should check out: www.grinnellplace.com

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 292
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out Lafayette Park, especially the Mies van der Rohe Coops off of Joliet and Nicolet

http://www.modeldmedia.com/fea tures/lafayette07.aspx

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really liked the Leland lofts, you can tour the available lofts on Saturday or by appointment.

http://www.lelandlofts.com/

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 736
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

buy from me, buy from me!!

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 857
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grinnell Lofts are profiled (kind of) in an article in the July Hour Detroit magazine that is just out.

If you're considering non-loft alternatives, Corktown has lots of properties in your price range. East English Village too.

If you're interested in big houses in a historic district, you will not find many turn-key choices for under $200K. Maybe there are a few in the Atkinson/Longfellow district just south of Boston Edison.

Good luck. Let the forum know where you end up.

Why
Username: Why

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Ypsilanti to Detroit.....kinda one in the same. I'm sure you'll find something suitable.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 843
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Slider and welcome to the Zoo!

When my partner and I decided to move downtown 6 years ago, I wish we had the options you now have available! We live in Brush Park and really like it. The places are more finished and named by some, here, as "suburban", but for us it's great. Crosswinds has added a "loft" building, which is quite handsome. You should check it out. Also, just up the street on JohnR there are multiple developments, including The Carlton.

We wish you good luck and happy hunting!

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 518
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

some of the new stuff in brush park is starting around 149k

Romanized
Username: Romanized

Post Number: 233
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Search Yahoo for foreclosures in Boston Edison and Indian Village. Trust me you will find many quality dwellings well under 200k.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodbridge is an excellent city neighborhood with a diverse housing stock, there are a few properties that might suit your needs currently available.

Wordonthestreet
Username: Wordonthestreet

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine has a home for sale in Green Acres. It is listed for $184,900 and in great shape.

Check it out at: http://detroit.craigslist.org/ rfs/356160396.html

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We love Grandmont and East English Village. You can buy great homes their for an amazing price. And they will need little "fixing up". If you want more spacious my wife and I both love Sherwood Forest. All are in the tax break zones, which should get you around a 30% tax break for 15 years.

Shelly
Username: Shelly

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally love East English Village. Unfortunately, we are selling our home. The cost: 220k. The most expensive on our street. We bought it 5 years ago. We also got a tax break here - and we went to court over paying more this year (we won).

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 918
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like EEV too but problem with living over there is that you are isolated and the only thing that is close is downtown, and the suburbs that are near are rather boring. Ive lived in EEV for a little and even just up harper a little near moross and its great area and very quiet but isolated.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I didn't think EEV had anything currently listed over $200K. Shelly - what street? Are you doing the garage sale this weekend?

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there's a great 2 story house in Corktown on Church St. between 10th & 11th that is for sale by owner and is totally rehabbed. Small back yard, little maintenance there and a garage. Don't have the phone # but, you can't miss it if your're driving in the area - and it's right near all freeways.

Slider
Username: Slider

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips, we'll check them all out and make our decision soon.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 360
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.realestateone.com/c ontent/PropertyDetail.asp?list ingNumber=e27061139

http://www.detroiturbanliving. com/index.php

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 424
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/65504/100724.html

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.