Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Witnesses not stepping up in triple shooting « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1462
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wtf?

"The crime scene drew dozens of tight-lipped witnesses and onlookers -- including one man wearing a "Stop Snitching" T-shirt."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070622/NEW S06/706220429&imw=Y

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 705
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that's odd.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brief summation of the Stop Snitching campaign:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S top_snitching

The Daily Show did a hilarious bit on this a few weeks ago, but I can't find the clip.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, I just read all of that and I still have no idea why someone would think they will benefit by not informing police of what they might know about a crime in their neighborhood...

Sometimes I think there is just no helping these kinds of people...they make some bad choice and will have to suffer the consequences I guess...

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wow, that's odd.

Actually, it's pretty standard behavior these days.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 738
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.breitbart.tv/html/2 069.html

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 350
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stop snitching is nothing different from how the Mafia ruled. People were killed and you weren't supposed to tell the police about it. This has been going on for years. (not that it's right)!
That guy was shot 15 times for a reason. He was not an innocent bystander.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 171
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you not get it? The killer knows where the witnesses live. Simple as that.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you're right. be a sissy. let the killer get away with it. maybe even kill more of your family, or friends. at least you'll be safe. for now. maybe.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4583
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is this "stop snitching" bullshit so common in urban areas?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 739
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm reminded of the case down in Florida where a guy was busted for steroids and ended up killing a couple that lived down the street from him mistakenly thinking that they called the cops on him. That was the one with the heartbreaking 911 call with the young girl calling in and saying that she thought her parents were dead.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^from what I've read though, this "don't snitch" movement hardly seems to be born out of fear for anyone's safety...seems to be more about obstructing justice and "getting back" at the cops,

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jesus-
really? if so, that is STUPIDITY at its finest. The cops are doing their job and trying to help people, and yet they some how think they're getting back at the cops by not helping?

I'm sure the cops wanna catch the guy, but they aren't the ones likely to be having to deal with the garbage in the neighborhood when they go home at night. People who don't help are only hurting themselves.

I swear I posted about this, maybe it was the other thread....

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5498
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't there secret witness programs or anonymous tip lines available?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2357
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there are billboards for, and the news programs often give out, the phone numbers for anonymous tip lines. Recently there have been stories where the tip lines provided the info Detroit police needed to find a perp. I wonder if the reporter made the assumption witnesses weren't talking, or if that came from a police comment, or if the story just needed some embellishment. "The crime scene drew dozens of tight-lipped witnesses and onlookers" - well if the witnesses were tight-lipped how can the reporter identify them amongst the on-lookers?

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 190
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ignorance rules supreme.
See no evil, hear no evil and
speak no evil.
Let the guys get away with murder and
continue to ruin the neighborhood.
I can understand not wanting to testify
but surely they could tip off the cops
without getting identified.

Sbyman
Username: Sbyman

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see no reason to try to understand these things, people are so hard to understand, that's my conclusion. We are a mystery unto ourselves. I think I am going to quote that.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 743
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

^from what I've read though, this "don't snitch" movement hardly seems to be born out of fear for anyone's safety...seems to be more about obstructing justice and "getting back" at the cops,

It's the celebration of "thug life" and treating criminals as if they are modern day Robin Hoods worthy of respect and adoration. Remember when Proof died and thousands of Detroiters showed up to his funeral to "celebrate" the man (who murdered a U.S. Army veteran in cold blood over a pool game)? Kids even skipped school to go put that POS up on a pedestal. Until there is a significant change in culture, the people of Detroit's greatest enemy will continue to be themselves.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2049
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was on the wires. Scaring more people from helping police.

http://www.salon.com/wire/ap/a rchive.html?wire=D8PUFJ600.htm l

June 23,2007 | PHOENIX -- A woman had the word "snitch" burned into her face with a branding iron in apparent retaliation for helping police in a domestic violence case, authorities said.

The brand singed into her flesh during a June 13 attack is 4 to 6 inches long and stretches across her left cheek from lip to earlobe, Mesa police Sgt. Chuck Trapani said Friday.

"Obviously, they were trying to send a message to her, and they were obviously trying to humiliate her," Trapani said.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2395
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FWIW, that happened in Mesa, next to Phoenix.

Nere
Username: Nere

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1-800-SPEAK-UP is the anonymous tipline

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2359
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, I thought Mesa was a higher rent district - not the type thought of for this behavior.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2440
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe if there were real and definite ramifications to those that commit crimes people would be willing to come forward.

Too often there is plea bargaining and sentences are too short to begin with so...........I might not be willing to come forward if I kew that in a year or a few years the criminal would be back in society.

And how about those that branded the woman? I bet if they are caught they won't get more than five years in prison.I hope I am wrong. But if someone knew that the penalty for intimidation was a harsh mandatory sentence then things might change.But limited police protection and lenient sentencing makes it easy for me to understand peoples feelings.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1235
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw on the news the police have a lead on the suspected shooter.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a part of the prison mentality thats seeped into urban culture.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 702
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is so stupid, I think it gave me brain cancer from reading it: "Stop Snitching doesn't mean stop talking to police. It's always misconstrued by the public, or the powers that be, that we're trying to intimidate the regular people or the law-abiding citizens. That's not what its about." says one rapper, and “NBA star Carmelo Anthony, a former Baltimore resident and now a part of the Denver Nuggets basketball team, appeared in the video. In subsequent interviews, Anthony claimed that his appearance in the video was a joke...Anthony claims the film's message shouldn't be taken seriously". If this is the altitude of Detroiters, then they are going to get what they deserve: more murders then ever, with no one being brought to justice. The respect for law and order in Detroit ended with C.Y. during his Marxist reign, and this is his legacy.

Sturge

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember some show interviewed a rapper about the snitching thing. Even if he lived next to a serial killer, he wouldn't turn him in. "Mind your own business." Urban Effics

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 705
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone doesn't take this serious, then maybe this will convince you: http://whosarat.com/ They want us to believe that this is all a joke, and yet here is a website dedicated to outing the people who are helping law enforcement for doing what any upstanding citizen would do.

Sturge

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! That site is a disgrace.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 236
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has a long of history of hatred of police & people not wanting to help authorities. Anyone wonder why most houses have iron prison bars and kids can't play safely in a lot places? There's been a long time culture of thuggery and tolerance for criminals in town for generations. All the talk of new developments downtown: the new river walk stadiums etc... still do not change the fact that many areas are war zones that are run by the criminals or GANGSTAS. as pointed out above and there was a good thread about it before- many think not telling police of criminal acts somehow an honorable thing. Currently there a thread about the old jingle: " Stand up & Tell Em' Your From Detroit!" well add to that: Just duck when you hear the gunfire!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9443
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of the critics here that are certain of the situation and the motives behind the on-lookers have any of you ever been in a comparable situation?

I wish more people would speak up but to dismiss it as 'loving the thug life' or whatever is ignoarnt.

It sure is easy to judge from a distance.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 186
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is why the prosecutor's office used to detain witnesses until the public outcry four, five, years ago.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 239
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wish more people would speak up but to dismiss it as 'loving the thug life' or whatever is ignoarnt.

It sure is easy to judge from a distance.
I saw the same attitude many times WHEN I lived in Detroit-one of many reasons I DON'T live there anymore! Experiencing it is NOT ignorance-it's fact

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't they identify the guy? They're looking for him now. A lost parolee or something....

Which brings up the question, how did he end up parolled in the first freakin place?!

Thejesus

Post Number: 1472
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Of the critics here that are certain of the situation and the motives behind the on-lookers have any of you ever been in a comparable situation?
I wish more people would speak up but to dismiss it as 'loving the thug life' or whatever is ignoarnt.
It sure is easy to judge from a distance."

I'm less concerned with the motives of all the on-lookers as I am with those behind the "Stop Snitching" campaign and all those who subscribe to it, which seem clear...

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9449
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

m less concerned with the motives of all the on-lookers as I am with those behind the "Stop Snitching" campaign and all those who subscribe to it, which seem clear...

I agree 100% with that.

Why
Username: Why

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well then, I believe our lawmakers need to respond to this cultural dilemma by instituting something similar to the "no shoes, no shirt, no service" policy at the stores. When the victim arrives at the hospital, along with 20-30 relatives and witnesses (again, seems to be a cultural thing) and NOBODY, including the victim, saw anything, knows nothing and doesn't know the his/her own name, address, phone number - NO SERVICE. Buh, bye. Simple as that. Should relieve a major burden on our taxes and health care problems.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.