Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Globe trading company condos? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 357
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went by Globe Trading company today and saw signs up for condos. Anyone have details?

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 358
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

answered my own question guess I am a little late on this one...

http://fadeddetroit.blogspot.c om/2006/10/globe-trading-compa ny-building-to-be.html#links

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talk about a hell of a backyard (Tricentennial park) if you have a condo in the GTC building

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there last year photographing that building and met a gentleman that works for the persons that purchased it and told me and my friend's that they are going to turn it into a condo & restaurant. Ive seen some homeless folks living in there.

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought from looking at all of the phasing plans for tricentennial park that the globe was going to be partially torn down, with the remaining part to be used as a visitor center/museum. I'm glad the whole thing will be restored... interested to see if/how this impacts the state park plans.

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tetsua, that's the best part about all of this development area--the views. So many naysayers are lambasting the developers for building condos in the 300k - 1million+ range along the riverfront, but it will be hard to match those units once the whole area develops. A beuatiful hardscape riverwalk, new infrastructure, stone's throw from tens of thousands of jobs, entertainment, the freeway, and a several acre state park. I think this area will rival just about anywhere in SE MI for highest quality urban living. Hopefully the neighborhood will offer some lower-rate studios/apartments/condos closer to Jefferson to prevent too much gentrification.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Tis plenty big. Could be used for both easily. It had been expanded I think 7 times, so there are portions that can stand on their own. Anyone by chance remember the actual name of the building? I know that it isn't 'Globe'; that came actually came later. Was it Detroit Dry Dock?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3072
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to know that it will really be happening. We absolutely must make use of the old buildings that remain in this district to lend some authenticity and a sense of history to the new neighborhood when all the new developments are completed. Having this building around will make the streetscape that much nice, just the the Stroh Riverplace rehab does.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 235
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The State Park will likely seek a lease on a portion of the building for their visitors center. They could not afford to purchase the building.

I've also heard that the building is built out to its property lines. Any balconies would actually be over the sidewalk ROW and require easements.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, now that you mention it, I don't see the building even on the map for the 2007 River Days:

http://www.tellusdetroit.com/R iverdays%2007/RiverFestMap.pdf

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 427
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the globe with honestly have to be a "restoration" along the lines of midmedlofts. that building is so far gone. GIGANTIC holes in the floors, half-absent roof, and faulty structure. however, even just a basic facade or facade + BARE BONES structure preservation is better than losing everything... which with 1-5 more years is what would happen...

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 106
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, it's funny that this place was brought up, because I was doing a leisure ride through detroit on Thursday and actually went in there to take some pictures. What's the story behind this building?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A brief description of the building from HISTORIC AMERICAN ENGINEERING RECORD (HAER):

"The Dry Dock Engine Works is significant, first of all, because of its role in manufacturing and repairing marine steam engines and boilers for Great Lakes freighters and passenger vessels from 1867 until the mid-1920s. Secondly, it is significant as a showcase of the evolution of American factory construction methods of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The six extant buildings that make up the Dry Dock Engine Works complex were erected between 1892 and 1919. The first of these, a machine shop, was designed and built by the Berlin Iron Bridge Company of East Berlin, Connecticut, and is an early example of an industrial structure entirely supported by a steel frame with brick curtain walls. The remaining five buildings (a foundry, an industrial loft building, an addition to the machine shop, a chipping room, and a shipping and receiving space) were built between 1902 and 1919 and show the evolution of steel-frame construction as riveted connections became welded, solid webs gave way to lattice webs, and builders began to use reinforced concrete."

http://www.marygrove.edu/ids/p apers/Dry_Dock_Engine_Works.do c

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"an early example of an industrial structure entirely supported by a steel frame with brick curtain walls."

I have heard Andylinn that the buildings structure can stand on its own without the need per se of the brick walls or the roof. Likely the roof could be simply removed and a new one placed onto the structural system.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 293
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right across Atwater from the Globe Building is a 3D model that shows what the building and dry dock looked like when the dry dock was used for working on ships.

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 108
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 5:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd post my pics of this building from that day, but I'll be honest, I'm not tech-savvy so I have no clue how to post them.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I forget how to as well; providing links is always a good way to show images too:

The building:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/a iw/19945067/

interior:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/a llanm/479369912/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s haron-west/177411309/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/a llanm/479369958/

the roof:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/a llanm/479412873/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/a llanm/479412885/

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5699
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeduncan,

It's easiest to just post a link to your album, or post the link to each photos. This forum doesn't have the capability of posting large, quality photos, unfortunately.

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 317
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The western most portion is the oldest, and as Detroit Dry Dock/Boat Works/Engine Works hosted a 15 year old Henry Ford working as a mechanics assistant, his first job.
Also, the steamer City of Detroit III was constructed there. A portion of that ships ornate interior acts as the "lobby" of the Dossin Great Lakes Museum.
The interior roof support truss still bears the ironworks hand written white paint labels, noting the company the beams were destined for, Detroit Dry Dock.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 262
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an updated picture of the Globe Trading Company and other pics from the Riverfest on my blog:

http://americanlife80.blogspot .com

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I noticed the sign in the pic' of your's of the building. I just have this distinct feeling it's going to sit for a while, just like the Broderick Tower & Hotel Edystone loft projects...I love how those are coming along.

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 379
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh god. you have no idea how far either of those projects are... in reality they are probably further than any of us think. just because you don't see physical work being done doesn't mean that it isn't progressing.

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chow....I do have an idea....Ive been by both those buildings recently...Broderick still sit's lonely and nothing has been done with it...last yr there was so much buzz about the loft project being started with it nothing now has been done. The Edystone sit's in the same situation as the Broderick, and it's now a homeless loft center. Alot of homeless have been seen going into that stucture. Speaking of other project's, the Fort Shelby hotel has seen some work/progress going to it....but what makes me wonder is who are they going to get to move into the loft's they are putting in these places when they can't keep people in the are as it is now....

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Chow's point is that about 75% of a renovation project is not visible to the average passersby. There is environmental testing, engineering, archtectural work, permits, financing, tax credits, utilities, etc., etc. that have to be completely defined before any physical work begins. The construction is usually the easier part....the paperwork can be very complicated and take much longer to get straightened out.

(Message edited by jfried on June 25, 2007)

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 351
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to mention engineering work, architectural work, design reviews, environmental studies, quoting, tons of paperwork and legal work, marketing plans, etc.... Plus, where do you get the money to do all this?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1194
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regardless, it seems that with all of the documentation on the condition of the Detroit Dry Dock/Globe Building that has been done, it will still be here for a good bit even if no visible/physical work is done to it in the near future.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.