Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Old Photo XLVIII - Where Is This? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 277
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An outpost on Mars? This famous/infamous Detroit location is not actually in the city proper.

For a larger version of the photo, please click here.

Ookpik

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judging from the clouds in the sky, I don't think it's Mars. Must be some other planet. The truck has two "Gray"s (as in Reptilian :-) ) on it.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The original Fermi boondoggle?

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fermi I near Newport , MI.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1931
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep Fermi 1

http://historicmonroe.org/h024 .htm

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3918
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We almost lost Detroit.

It appears to still be there, along with the all the waste ever created.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f= q&hl=en&geocode=&q=monroe,+mi& ie=UTF8&ll=41.960487,-83.25794 6&spn=0.004268,0.011694&t=k&z= 17&om=1

The historic Monroe website is absurdly apologetic:
quote:

I do not believe John G. Fuller’s book We almost lost Detroit to be at all factual. This book like the bulk of his other is work historical fiction or fantasy based on just enough fact to give the work a ring of truth.

Yes, a zirconium sodium flow deflector did fracture possibly due to an unanticipated vibration mode partially blocking sodium flow through a portion of the reactor. Several fuel rods were damaged by overheating but nothing approaching a meltdown occurred. All of the zirconium deflectors were removed using special video equipment and tools that were developed, much of it locally. This took a lot of patience, time and ingenuity.

So I guess he would be happy to picnic there with his kids?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do'h!

Don't worry--top people are watching the situation!

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 8242
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, let's dam up some rivers so we have clean power - or use up some of that coal or natural gas.

No that's not it: let's everyone use less - except me (you) of course.

Thankfully we made these early efforts so that we have plenty of inexpensive, safe, clean power, but aren't up to speed with China or even France when it comes to this area.

Again, thanks to Michigan for one of the first innovative, pioneering steps.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 463
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea that waste is just laying around. The nuclear waster is safely stored. I for one would picnic next to Fermi and feel completely safe. I can breath easy knowing the terrible air quality that my area is known for because of 2 of the states top 5 polluters are the coal plants to the east in Saint Clair!

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DTE St. Clair Power Plants. (Recor)

http://www.aerialpics.com/B/st clair.html

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 256
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

but aren't up to speed with China or even France when it comes to this area

um, France has led the world in nuclear power for years

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.