Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » 1954 8MM Movies of Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mercman
Username: Mercman

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excuse me if this has been posted already, but I found this today and had not seen it on the detroityes.com before. I did a search before posting, but didn't find anything:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =QQxrhiraoUg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =hRj4_qkqgXo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =xVhTdKnDUW0

Thought they were very cool clips. Shows a completely different time in the city. Saw lots of landmarks that I learned about only on the Detroityes forums- places that are now gone...

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1519
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YEs those have been posted a couple times. Still amazing to watch. That was probably the peak of Detroit population at that point. Amazing to think it doesn't look anything like that today at all. Not even a little bit.

Though I do seem to notice a lot of garbage in that last one. Okay, so maybe the garbage hasn't changed....

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 4:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno, Jerome. I wasn't alive in the 50s but I recognize quite a bit from these films... and the 'garbage' was the last thing on my mind.

Cheer up. One result of Detroit's urban depopulation is that a lot of our oldest landmarks have actually stayed standing, whereas in other cities the Dime, Maccabees, and Metropolitan buildings (and other buildings like them) were destroyed to make way for glass-and-steel Aon Centers and AT&T Plazas...

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 6:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mercman. It's funny - the most steady portion of the films was of the Gayety Burlesk theater. Must have meant something special to the videographer.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone tell me about the Brass Rail? How cool!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

those the sign is now at Kruse and Muer in rochester

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! I pulled up the picture on their website.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with you GsGeorge however there was still a lot destroyed in the 1950s. Here is a promotional video clip of Detroit bidding for the 1968 Olympics from an earlier DY thread. Notice the mentality of the “new,” “exciting,” “new Detroit.”

DY thread link
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/95800.html

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many times did you hear the word "renaissance" used in this film?
Little did Jerome know how quickly he and the city would come crumbling down.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.