Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Wyandotte toys « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a collector of vintage pressed steel toys, mostly Wyandotte /All Metal Products, and wonder if anyone out there worked for the company, or shares an interest in their terrific toys, has photos or stories of the company's production.

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to live near one of Wyandotte Toy Company's buildings. I think the building is still there but I can't think of what it looks like now, it used to have a dark red sort of tile front, very unique. There were a couple of our neighbors who had worked for them but nobody I knew that well. The Wyandotte Historical Society has a lot of information about them.

Kjs
Username: Kjs

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To D2dyeah and Lmr. I have a collection of Wyandotte toys. My wife and I have collected them for over 20 years. I have copies of a couple of Wyandotte Toys Catalogues with pictures of the toys and the prices of each. As a kid I lived in Wyandotte and know the location of the Wyandotte Toy Company Building. I have pictures of the building as well. I know a lot of the history of the company and how it started. My father worked for Wyandotte Paint Co. which made the paint for the toys. I also worked for the same paint company as well. In 1983 Wyandotte Paint Co. was purchased by a company from the Netherlands. I have been thinking of selling most of my collection. If you are interested let me know and perhaps we can make a deal.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 278
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I collect toys and have a few Wyandotte toys. What I am more interested in though is the Wyandotte Tool Company. They made a small toy steam engine known as a "Red Injun." Supposedly, the toy is considered "rare" among toy steam engine collectors. Please click the following link to see pictures of my engine. A photo of the original box is also included.

http://home.flash.net/~raduer/ fi.html

If anyone has any information about the engine, it would be greatly appreciated.

Ookpik

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 688
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gay Toys (no jokes) was also a local toy company, specializing in plastic vehicles. Does anybody know if they ever made any pressed steel or tin litho toys, or anything other than vehicles?

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Wyandotte Paint Company well. Kjs - there was a building on Eureka near 17th that had a sign saying Wyandotte Toy Company for years. Is that the building you are thinking of or was that only a storage building (warehouse)? It had a dark reddish kind of tile looking front. I lived on 18th between Eureka and Pine (26 years) and I used to see that building every day, but I didn't think that was their main building?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.