Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Anyone catch WJR this morning (Topic: Michigan tax hikes?) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2788
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was interesting hearing Sen. Bishop talk about how there wasn't any talk of a tax hike.

Afterwards, Sen. Schauer chimmed (unscheduled, BTW) claiming that he didn't hear the segment, but was somehow able to get and read a transcript before calling immediately afterwards, and wanted to refute what was said.

His interesting point was that Bishop was flat-out lying and that there was an agreement to raise taxes (i.e. a "luxury" tax of sorts and an income tax hike), which had already been agreed to by "both" sides.

Your take?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9458
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My take:

Granholm is a poor Governor and Bishop is a lying weasel.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 971
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My take:

We are seeing the negative results of term limits.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 201
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see a sad situation where some folks are more worried about covering their backsides than in getting this state on a sound financial standing.
They should have a Gitmo for lying politicians.

Mcp001

Post Number: 2789
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Interesting premise.

This is a difficult one to read because I'm getting a lot of conflicting information from both sides on this one.

The buzz that I'm getting from the republican side is that, yes, a deal had been reached to raise taxes. Exactly which taxes and by how much was the $64 question.

Needless to say, the rank-and-file gop'ers aren't too happy about it and are applying pressure to see that this won't happen.

Now I'm getting word on the democrat side that deals have been made, and that Schauer is screwing things up for reasons that only he is aware of (i.e. the MESSA vote that LG Cherry was ready to throttle Schauer about after he changed his vote).

Whether or not his WJR appearance is part of this campaign is anyone's guess.

(Message edited by MCP-001 on June 27, 2007)

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1495
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then we have Leon Drolet threatening to recall anyone who votes for the tax increase and we have some definite fireworks happening.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember when Blanchard raised taxes but dodged the recall bullet?
He had the balls to act and put his career on the line. If nothing else, he put everything on the line for what he believed in. These guys now just pander and cry to the nearest TV camera or radio mike.
They only have the next election in mind and not what's best for the state.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6124
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY GRANHOLM!!

I support the tax hike to reduce the deficit for the next fiscal year. Don't blame her blame Engler.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6125
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you all don't the sudden tax hike, LEAVE MICHIGAN! As for me, I'll have all of Michigan to myself and turning back to nature. I'm not leaving so soon.

Mcp001

Post Number: 2801
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it appears that Sen. Schauer's version had some truth to it after all.

quote:

"Senate Majority Leader Mike Bishop is demanding that Gov. Jennifer Granholm halt pay raises for state workers this fall before he'll allow a Senate vote to raise taxes. - Lansing State Journal (June 29, 2007)

I wonder if Drolet has people in place to recall Bishop if he pulls the tax hike trigger in the Senate?

Paulmcall

Post Number: 208
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granholm can't halt the pay raises. It's not in her power. That idiot Bishop should know that!
He's grandstanding once again.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.