Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Anything of interest going on in the 'D' the week of 7/9 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lmcdet
Username: Lmcdet

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and wondering if you good folks could help me? I read post all the time(this is my bible if I want to know what happening in the D!)on this site, it proves to be very insightful. I have a new boss coming to town the week of 7/9 and just wanted to know if there is anywhere in the 'D' I can take him to show off our great city? I consider myself an extreme Detroiter, I'm in Detroit almost every weekend when I get a chance, but i'm lost as to where to take my new boss...Help!!!

Thank you everyone in advance!

Sorry, my grammar it's horrible!

LMCDET

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is your boss from? Is he/she from another country?

Lmcdet

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

USA... Rochester, NY

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you could take your boss to Delray

Lmcdet

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wrong answer... I know the city, give me a little credit... I'm asking a serious question!

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 530
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take your boss to see the Guardian Building then have an ice tea in Campus Martius before walking over to Happy Cream for an ice cream cone. Then drive over to see the Fisher Building.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really really depends on what your boss likes. If he/she likes architecture or public spaces, then why wouldn't you go downtown to show off Detroit? Sounds like you have a whole week. You could make a few days of downtown, but it has always seemed that people are the most impressed with Detroit (or anywhere for that matter) when it is sunny. A sunny day is good for walking around anything from downtown to Indian Village, so honestly you might want to plan your week around the weather. If it is rainy or cloudy, then it might be best to visit downtown at night preferably when there are big events going on. At night then of course you can hit up a few bars. It really does take some planning to best show off the city.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also too, you didn't mention where you are from around the city. It is important to plan your routes in and out, both to better show off the city as well as of course cover more ground.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What line of work are you in?

Please give us some additional information for a more thoughtful response.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 380
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be in town that weekend too, with a lot of friends from New York City. We are going to that giant slab of concrete on Belle Isle! Seriously I want to take then to the new Riverwalk. Wish there were restaurants open on the river.<313>

Tiberius
Username: Tiberius

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the only drive in funeral home in town. Frank Given's on Woodrow Wilson. Ok, I'm kidding. I'd take him to the original Ford Factory, pre assembly line of Piquette. What history!

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Use the link below to request a visitor packet, it has information in the calendar of all the special events, sports, plays, etc. for the week that your boss will be in town.

http://www.visitdetroit.com/vi sitorcenter/visitorpacket/

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 531
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit313, Sinbad's is right on the river, just not on the Riverwalk. Drive through West Village and Indian Village on your way there.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 877
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am still not certain what an "extreme Detroiter" is, but....

It looks like the Tigers are not home that week, I would have suggested going to a night game. That is one of my favourite things to do in Detroit.

Your boss may like Bakers Keyboard Lounge -- always a fine and fun Detroit experience.

It also may be fun to hop across the river and have a gelato on Erie Street or tour Hiram Walker's distilery.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Wish there were restaurants open on the river."

There are some as well just a few blocks off the river at River Place on Jos Campau, if you don't need something as classy as Sinbads.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and many in the Ren Cen...

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5282
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Rumors on the River in the Detroit House just east of Erma Henderson Park off Jefferson.

(Message edited by Jams on June 29, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.