Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Belle Isle,Part of Huron Clinton Metro Authority « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 587
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The time has come for Detroit to turn over management of Belle Isle to Huron Clinton Metro Authority.

I know it's been discussed before, but now is the time to quite f#@king around and ACT NOW!

Under the HCMA, Belle Isle can be restored to it's former glory.

What is holding this plan back, you ask, well... the clown council for starters...(i.e. watson, collins, the usual suspects)

Last I heard, Mayor Kilpatrick was open to this proposal, wtf is stopping it?

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej72,

Does that mean it would be a Metro Park?

Detroitej72

Post Number: 594
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, only managed and run by HCMA.

Detroit would still own and be paid a yearly sum.

Kid, have you been to Metro beach or Stoney Creek recently? They are beautiful parks run by HCMA.

This is how Belle Isle should look like.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5725
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Out of curiosity, why do you propose, specifically, Huron Clinton Metro Authority to run it? Is it just because you think Stoney Creek looks nice?

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think thats a great idea. I went to Kensington twice last summer and it was very well maintained. Why not let the pros handle Belle Isle?

Detroitej72

Post Number: 596
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My point exactly Kid_dynamite.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 597
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan,
If you know of some other entity that could run if efficiently, by all means tell me.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 870
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This proposal again? It's not that I have anything against the idea....I don't, and I think it would be good for the park.....but I believe the first attempt at making Belle Isle a Metropark was in '72, wasn't it?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even more so, I think there are many non-profit groups that could maintain it better than the City of Detroit. Heck, a new one could even be formed for the park, similar to what Eastern Market is doing.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2669
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see the HCMA doesn't want it, it's already having money issue of it's own. The city doesn't want to give up control. How are you going to make it work when neither side wants to do it. Even if you forced it to happen it is a recipe for disaster.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 758
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.centralparknyc.org/ aboutcpc

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd rather see a conservancy formed that is dedicated to Belle Isle rather than HCMA take it. That way it could still be governed as a city park...

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 381
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm open to both ideas, but if the city does let HCMA run Belle Isle, I would also let them run every park in the city as well. And offer to bring their offices into the Coleman Young Building. Not to monitor, but to centralize. <313>

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1715
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fyi, HCMA has something to do with the nature zoo at belle isle already....or at least they're getting free advertising on the nature zoo's signage

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 501
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies is right: HCMA doesn't want to take it over; the City doesn't want to give it up. Good idea or not, it'll never happen.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1497
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belle Isle Nature Zoo is run by Detroit Zoo. Although I would not be surprised if turning the zoo over to HCMA would be proposed to help the zoo tax pass. But HCMA is having money problems as well. They are currently deferring a lot of maintenance to offset loss of revenue.

(Message edited by bob on June 29, 2007)

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 240
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Note that there already is a Friends of Belle Isle, http://www.fobi.org/

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5729
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But as a voluntary organization, they can only do so much. Belle Isle, even in its declined state, is still one of the large, urban monumental parks in the country, and it needs an organization to meet those needs, if even quasi-public if not a private entity.

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are programs at the Belle Isle Nature Zoo that are run by HCMA. They are free. I take my kids there every month.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think if Belle Isle were turned over to the HCMA they should charge an entrance fee for cars just like they do to all the other parks. (Pedestrians and bicyclists would get in free) It could help stem some of the illegal stuff that happens there. I'm not sure how many people visit there every year, but I wouldn't doubt that it could easily be the most profitable park in the system, especially with all of the major events that draw people there. If the city of Detroit were to get a percentage of the profits from the entrance fee, maybe they would be more open to turning over control.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.