Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Fox & Hounds to close forever « Previous Next »
Archive through July 03, 2007Psip30 07-03-07  12:20 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6148
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a terrible start to develop Bloomfield Hills. Tear down a historical Colonial English restaurant a built some ghetto mart.

Danny

Post Number: 6149
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SAVED THE FOX AND HOUND!

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1943
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, once again you have succinctly expressed my fears about this. (YIKES!)

Danny

Post Number: 6150
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soon most fo Bloomfield Hills would be a ghetto if these so called ghetto mart is being built on the Fox and Hounds Restaurant or any ant other historic corridors.

Danny

Post Number: 6151
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least the Redcoat Tavern is still there in Royal Oak.

(Message edited by danny on July 03, 2007)

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you kidding? We go to Redcoat once or twice a week!! Best burgers and chowder in town!

~Liza

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1830
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never understood the appeal of the Redcoat, with its cave-like atmosphere (NO windows at all, as I remember) and faux-colonial motif.

There are other places with good burgers and/or chowder.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 533
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

REDCOAT IS STILL THERE

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 628
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the Redcoat right before I moved. A dishwasher left a few slivers of Chore Boy in my shepherd's pie. Mmmm. At least the meal was free.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like red coat's fish and chips...don't mind the atmosphere either. It's kinda creepy, but reminds me of many of the restaurants my parents took me to in the early 80's.

Another restaurant that has that same effect on me is Traffic Jam.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 206
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never been to the Fox and Hound. But the Red Coat has an excellent appetizer: hardboiled egg wrapped in bacon and sausage then deep fried. I think it's called a Dragon's Egg.

Psip

Post Number: 1944
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sitting in the Kingsley right now. Benagan's is gone, Alban's is gone, the old Lemon Peel is gone, Now the Fox and Hounds will be gone. Whats next?

Just drove by the old Jukebox (which has been closed for years) it's being torn down.

Ageekymom
Username: Ageekymom

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Psip! Is Bridgette working? Tell her Lisa says hello!
From what I heard, F&H will be replaced with "high-end retail," office space and possibly an upscale pub....

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spacemonkey - It's called a Scotch egg, and I agree it's excellent. Can't wait for my next one....

Back to the topic - the Fox and Hound (IMO) was riding it's reputation for the past decade. The food was WAY sub-par for what you'd pay.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 764
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a breakfast meeting today and the topic turned to the F & H. (We were at Little Daddy's, a couple of hundred yards south of the place.)

One of the guys said: "I've eaten there 100 times and never had a bad meal. But I've never had a really good one either." I think that summed it up. I's always had a unique ambience and the food wasn't bad. That's saying a lot these days. Sorry to see it go.

Still, the best restaurant in the area is Peabody's in Birmingham. Very good food at very reasonable prices. I don't think it's going anywhere, and I believe it's older than the F & H.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I owe a reply to Psip. I sent a note to my sister & mother to see if they want to change the location of my father's 81st birthday to there (my sister & I wouldn't have to cook!) on Sunday. ("Rumor is it is going to close")

Yesterday or today it is announced in the business section of the paper. "How'd you know?"

"I got my 'peeps' on the 'net"! :^)

Anyway, they decide not to go there because they have not seen a lot of lunch or dinner traffic there and think the chef may have already bolted out the door. Based on Drankin21 comments, that may be the case.

3rdworldcity... Peabody's is their favorite also. I usually order the Perch cooked on the crispy side or frog legs.

James

Psip

Post Number: 1945
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jvass, as far as I know, everything is still in place until Aug, 31. Take you Dad there for the last time, I am sure you will enjoy the experience. You can't beat the ambiance.
They have been closed for a few days because of the 4th, but will re-open on Thursday.

Peabodys is great, I hope they survive. Its tough out there with the failing economy and the high prices being offered for these prime locations.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1806
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before Peabody's was a restaurant, it was an open air market.Peabody's Market. I recall the cider-mill operation inside the market, an old wooden structure, the apples moving along the assembly line, etc. A great place. Great fruit and cider, too.
Next to the market was the old Birmingham Bowling alley. And speaking of bowling alleys, the old Bloomfield Lanes once occupied a place just south of the Fox and Hounds. That location is where the office building is now.
Peabody's, Fox and Hounds--once linked to bowling alleys! How 'bout that?

Tony_pieroni
Username: Tony_pieroni

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I talked with a friend of the owners who claimed that the road work on Woodward was the straw that broke their backs; business has been way off this summer because of it.

It's a shame. MDOT is so irresponsible it's hard to imagine why Michigan voters don't vent their rage at the way it operates. One rarely sees them working on Woodward and the repaving job has taken far longer than it should have. Every business along there has to be suffering, not to mention the thousand of motorists who have to put up with the unconscionable delays every day.

When I was in law school I drove an asphalt hauler when they repaved Woodward from Square Lake down to Birmingham and the job operated 24/7. It took half as long then to complete the whole job as it's taken them to do half the current job so far.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4650
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Off topic: In regards to the road work....are there any restrictions to the crews doing 24/7 work nowadays? Are there union or labor restrictions? It sounds pretty shitty to hear that a slow road project ruined a business.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2282
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just heard on Smooth Jazz an advertisement for Fox and Hounds. For a restaurant in the process of going out of business, this is a strange time to advertise, or is it?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2366
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The site of my first date!! It was October 1971...dinner after the Homecoming Dance. Later it was the setting for one of our anniversary dinners around 1983 or '84. I still have very fond memories of the place.

Kpm
Username: Kpm

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad...

Excerpts from an article in the Observer and Eccentric:

Downey said the building will be demolished and replaced with mixed-use retail and office space. But there's nothing official yet. No plans have been presented to the city for approval.

As for the building with its distinctive brickwork and turret with the shiny metal roof, it will come down. However, Downey said that it's possible the turret may be preserved and moved to another spot...

More at:
http://www.hometownlife.com/ap ps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070 708/NEWS02/707080340/1019

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I HAVE AN IDEA FOR THE FOX & HOUNDS INN RESTAURANT!!!

Is there not a new restaurant that is planned to be built on the site of the former DPD station on Woodward in the Wayne State Campus??

Why not move the Fox & Hounds building to that location? Moving the building and renovating it would probably be cheaper than constructing a new building. Plus it would (sort of) match the older architecture of the Wayne State area.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

god, just as I feared, turning BH into another bland Troy

Jyogi
Username: Jyogi

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1) Millers burgers are SOOOO much better than Red Coat

2) Thanks for posting this guys, I have driven buy F&H a ZILLION times over my life, especially when I went to Cranbrook but I have never eaten there. I called the other day and made reservations to take my GF there Thur night to experience it and see the inside once before its gone...

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAha, the place is allegedly haunted.
Go ahead and tear it down, if there's a ghost he/she likely won't leave. It'll just have new clientele to scare.

Ageekymom
Username: Ageekymom

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RIP Psip:
LOSIN ZEN W
August 21, 2007
Age 56. August 17, 2007. Beloved son of Irene and the late Zenon S. Losin. Dearest brother of Bob Losin. Also survived by many loving relatives and friends. Visitation Wednesday 3-9 p.m. at the D.S. Temrowski & Sons Funeral Home, 30009 Hoover Road at Common (12 ½ Mile). Funeral Services will be held Thursday 12 Noon at the Funeral Home. Share memories at www.Temrowski.com

Danny

Post Number: 6372
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So long Fox and Hounds. We miss your Olde English style cuisine.

Danny

Post Number: 6373
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Ghetto marts.

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

going to f+h saturday one last time

jyogi you are crazy miller's makes a good burger but it is no redcoat

Willmess01
Username: Willmess01

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peabody's is AWEFUL! maybe I am not old enough. I was there 2 weeks ago on lunch and I waited 20 minutes for service and another 35 for the food.

As far as F&H, has anyone mentioned that it seems as if it is now located where Bailey's pub was/is in Troy?

I was there on Saturday and the receipt said Fox and Hounds. Confused me a bit.

BTW Baileys in S of Maple B/w Crooks and Coolidge in a strip mall.

Marianewtothed
Username: Marianewtothed

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a Fox & Hounds Irish Pub chain that operates its restaurants in 25 states under that and the Bailey's Pub & Grille names. Not affiliated with the landmark restaurant in Bloomfield Hills.

Does anyone know if the F&H Pastry Den will be relocated? The White Chocolate Strawberry cake is to die for!

Kpm
Username: Kpm

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's some info on what is to replace F&H:

http://www.hometownlife.com/ap ps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070 823/OPINION/708230349/1191/NEW S02

Humanmachinery
Username: Humanmachinery

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been fond of that building for years, and my mother has memories of eating there. Her brother once spilled a bag of marbles down the spiral staircase in that turret, and it has been known ever since as "the place where Tom lost his marbles."

Goddammit, this is sad. Fox & Hounds should be on the Register of Historic places already. Now it's going to join Little Harry's, The Olympia, The Lindel AC, The Hudson's Building, City Hall, and The Statler Hotel as just another pile of rubble.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1928
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going to miss that famous Oakland County landmark. I had my first illegal drink in their Ale House which used to be a separate building where the Shell gas station is.
Just south of the FH was the old Bloomfield Hills Bowling Alley. We would bowl a game or two there (back in the days when they had pin boys), then over to the FH for a cool one(or two).
At one time, the FH was owned by a Greek by the name of Nick Takus, who also owned the Kingsley Inn which used to be right across Woodward on the SW corner.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.