Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Sonic Drive-in « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats the Deal with all these Sonic commercials on TV when there isn't even one close to the detroit area (at least not one that I know of)..You would figure that they would do well here considering that we have tons of eager people willing to try them cause their commercials have been playing for like 3 years now and I have yet to see on outside of Kentucky. lol

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are looking for franchise opportunities in MI. The commercials are most likely to draw possible owners. You would think in a place like the Motor City that someone would be all over a drive in fastfood place.
http://www.sonicdrivein.com/bu siness/franchise/index.jsp

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 757
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of them in TX.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 850
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Ericdetfan. I have been asking this forever. And the closest one I've ever seen is Kentucky.

I thought television provided a little more channeled outlet for your advertisements than that. Surely they do not have to run their ads in our market when they have no locations even remotely near here. Confusing.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried one in mid Ohio a couple of years back. The food is good. It reminds me of an A&W Drive-in.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 851
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those frozen drinks they have are awesome. And I like how you can pay with a card from your car! Sonic Rules. Come up here Sonic!

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I lived in NC, I used to go to Sonic every saturday morning for two breakfast burritos and a chocolate cream pie shake and have been craving them again for years.

I have heard that somebody has already bought the franchise rights and is now in the process of looking for locations in Troy and Macomb Twp or Clinton Twp (the info comes from the niece of the franchisee).

Pinewood73
Username: Pinewood73

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great news Dannaroo.

I tried Sonic when I was in Phoenix and Orlando.

Coconut Cream Pie Shakes are great!

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 671
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sonic would be a hit in this city.

Mjb3
Username: Mjb3

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think they are running commercials "to lure franchisee's".

Usually these buys are national ad buys through ESPN, TNT, etc.

Sonic's are good. Hope we get some soon in Michigan. They are in southern Indiana.

I wish we had Waffle House as well...

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you see them on local channels or simply the Cable bundle channels like A&E or Discovery? I'vd only seen them on the non local ones and assumed it was a regional package that Sonic paid for when they bought the advertising.

Vintagesoul
Username: Vintagesoul

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really hope it goes through, Danaroo! I've been seeing those commercials for a few years, and I felt like what an awful tease they were... the drinks and shakes look awesome. My sister says they have one in Southern Indiana? Not sure, but she said the food was pretty good. We could use something different up here...

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I remember someone telling me that the only reason that there haven't been any built in this area is because there was some legal ramblings from the folks at Eddie's Drive In on Jefferson in Harrison Township was making a stink about it.

Savannahsmiles
Username: Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no idea why there are no Sonic's in Detroit, but I would like to make a suggestion... If one ever comes in, and your order the Route 44 big drink, be sure to ask for easy ice or you will end up with a $2.00 cup of ice with a little drink in it. I hope Sonic ventures to Detroit. It is a very popular business here in the south.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of area cities have ordinances against eating in your cars. This is why you do not see many drive in resturants in the area.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 761
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another popular place in TX, FL and some other southern states is the "Golden Corral," an all-you-can-eat joint w/ above average food, and very inexpensive. They have "food stations: not unlike the MGM buffet. The desserts and fresh baked bread (every 15 minutes - they ring a big bell to let customers know it's coming out of the oven)are particularly good.

About 5 years ago the franchisor announced a deal to build 20 of them in SE MI. Nothing ever came of it. I think they'd do great, but they obviously changed their minds.

Japes
Username: Japes

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This info is from the Sonic Rep in Vegas at the ICSC show in May.

Sonic has sold the Franchises for Oakland and Macomb county, and expects to have a location or two open an year to 18months. They are in talks with a few persons about Wayne/Monroe/Washtenaw County(they may have been sold at this point). They are aggressive when they go into an area so the person needs to be familiar with operating a fast food restaurant and have capital to open more than one store. They realize Detroit will be a big market for them.

They advertise on cable as mjb3 said -- it is cheap, creates brand awareness and helps with demand when they move into a new area as the name is not new and people want to try it.

I was not interested in Sonic when I was at ICSC, but saw the booth and went and talked to the guys as I had the questions that people have been asking here.

As for Waffle House -- I think I just threw up a bit in my mouth..... They didn't have a booth at ICSC in Vegas, and no would I have talked to them if they did. :-)

(Message edited by japes on July 02, 2007)

Japes
Username: Japes

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rdworldcity - There is a Golden Corral in Westland -- Warren Road between Newburgh and Wayne, south side of the road. That however is the only one I know of around Metro Detroit.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1829
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sonic makes a tasty burger.

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 145
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the website, the two closest locations are in Fort Wayne, IN and another 3 miserable miles away in Van Wert, OH.

I could kill for a cherry limeaid slush.

I have lingering nightmares of Quincey's and Ryan's experiences with the grandparents when I was young. I have never seen adults in their Sunday "best" FIGHTING over the last piece of fried chicken before and never hope to again. This region as a whole does not need to be subjected to such horrors.

Aside from the fact that after spending a good 15 minutes looking at a buffet and the people venturing to it, you lose your appetite. Sneeze guards don't work very well unless you're over a certain height. And then there are those who must bypass the serving utensils to search through to find that ONE perfect piece of food...

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I dont know about other Sonics but the one in Fort Wayne is down right awful, They opened about a year and a half ago and I would always see there there ad's on tv and wonder whey they werent here, and after trying there food I came to the realization that these are glorified McDonalds drive-ins. Oh and Van Wert, Ohio is about 30 miles from Fort Wayne not three. Sonic sucks!

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would much rather see Daly's or A&W drive-ins.
There are a few A&W's around that still have a drive in service, one in Farmington on Grand River. There is another way out in Dexter. The one on Walled Lake dropped the franchise and is now Tom's Rootbeer Stand or something equally generic. Is it because of poor business or bad management?
The only problem is that around here they are seasonal businesses. Also, the Sonic commercials are moronic. Bad commercials are reason enough to NOT patronize a business.

On the other hand, the Del Taco near me seems to be doing very well. Any Sonics would need to have a drive-thru. And new commercials.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 381
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southgate is getting a Sonic!!!

http://thenewsherald.com/stori es/062907/loc_20070629002.shtm l

quote:

Mayor Norma Wurmlinger calls her city, central along the Fort Street cruise route, the "the dining capital of Downriver" and noted that the city has a new eatery — Chili's Grill & Bar — and two more in the works, including a drive-in-style fast food restaurant called Sonic along Fort Street in front of Meijer.

Cheesy Tater Tots and Frito Pies are here at last!

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are good, it's actually cheaper for them in terms of rates & residuals & what not to run ads on basic cable channels than local spot buys on network stations in the Sonic zone of TX, OK & throughout the South & lower Midwest(if it also creates "awareness" in areas they are not, that's pure gravy) We used to have 6 of 'em spread around Eastern L.A./O.C. County now we're down to 1 in Anaheim & a slew around Bakersfield. If you want another decent, yet obscure burger chain to check out in town try Culver's

http://culvers.know-where.com/ culvers/cgi/region?country=US& region=MI&design=default&lang= en&mapid=US

Rolen
Username: Rolen

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sonic would be a hit in this city.

Actually if they put one in the city it would soon get hit.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4378
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably not. They would have to change their business model. Any one remember Rally's?

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 135
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always go to Sonic when I visit family in Lumberton, North Carolina...love...LOVE...their peach shakes!! So awesome!

Urban_shocker
Username: Urban_shocker

Post Number: 280
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sonic and Del Taco finally down... Jack in the Box, Whataburger, and In and Out left to go.

Fast food has sucked in this town for a long time. Folk don't even know what they missin.

Evelethcdenver
Username: Evelethcdenver

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sonic is all over here in Denver. They are always busy. Their food is all right, but their drinks are great.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is a very profitable market for Fast Food Really (not including the fact we're one of the fattest cities in the U.S.). That's why were seeing restaurants like Culver's and Fatburger investing here. I think the reason we're not getting any restaurants is due to the lack of Franchise owners that want to invest in the area. Also, the restaurants we do have come along with poor service. Until we can fix these issues, there won't be a big influx in Fast Food restaurants anytime soon.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 340
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sonic is fantabulous! The strawberry limeades are the greatest! It is one of the things that I miss the most about TX. And their burgers are delicious too. For a fast food restaurants they have one of the most extensive menus. They have a breakfast menu and a huge variety of deserts and drinks. Plus any place that sells tater tots can't be too bad!
- Mrs. Jonesy

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ericdetfan -

I have complained to whomever would listen for the past few years that the damn Sonic commercials come on, talk about products that I would LOVE, and don't have any outlets even close to here. If you go to thier web site, they have a map of all the locations... you can probably get a 1:1 correlation if you overlay an average temperature or average snowfall map. The problem as I see it is pure dollars and cents: if you can only stay open 8 or 9 months a year, you lose 25-33% of business for the same overhead.

It's a shame, too. They seem like more "modern" versions of the few A&W drive-ins that remain. I know several of the Ohio locations have thier own website with weekly car shows and drive-in style events--I'm sure they are great assets to any community. Just imagine plopping a couple along the "cruise" routes in metro Detroit--they'd be packed with classic cars every weekend.

Maybe global warming isn't so bad afterall... if it brings Sonic!

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rdworld-

There is a Golden Corral new construction opening later this year in front of the new WalMart next to the new Meijer along M-25 north of Port Huron on your way to Charlevoix/Lakeport and beyond. Right at the end of the "strip".

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the thing about those cruise nights is that it not only attrcats classics, but it also attracts all the teenagers with their riced-out dodge neons with 3 foot shopping cart wings on the back...

The 50's Mcdonalds in Dearborn Heights had a classic car show night on the weekend, but they cancelled them. Every time I drove by there on my way home from work the parking lot was PACKED with teens and their riced-out cars...My guess is they started to have fights about whos car had more bass or whos car sounded like a gas-powered weed whacker. I also never saw anyone actually eating the food, either so I think MD's prolly thought the better of it.

Something like that might work if the made it classic cars only and made people buy something...Would be kinda tough to enforce tho

Oilcan_harry
Username: Oilcan_harry

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had several Sonic locations here in Indy. But about 2 or 3 years ago they all suddenly closed. No idea why. They were always busy.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.