Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Good Printable Downtown Map? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1536
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This coming weekend I will be in the D with many other relatives. They arrive Thursday and I won't be in town until Friday.

I wanted to give them a map they could print off at home before they left so that they might be able to find some places to eat Thursday night and a couple coffee / deli places before I arrive on Friday. I really only need JUST downtown (basically between all the freeways). I found one on the visit detroit site, but it was a little bigger than I really needed.

Anyway, figured someone here has a good one they can recommend.

Thanks!

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 504
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seem to recall the People Mover web site has a lot of the info you might want - I've never tried to print from it though.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 708
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one is pretty good.
http://map.mapnetwork.com/dest ination/detroit/

Also, for a list of all of downtown's 100+ bars/restaurants with descriptions, etc. go to www.insidedetroit.org

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is kinda cool,

http://www.detroit2005.com/map o/main_area.html

not really printable, but you could print a map or satellite image from this place,

http://maps.live.com/default.a spx?v=2&cp=42.335316~-83.04749 &style=h&lvl=14&scene=950595&v endor=google&pkw=detroit%20map|692072911&s_kwcid=detroit%20m ap|692072911

or customize it with push pins of places you want to go and then print it.

Other than the destination detroit map already linked, couldn't find much of value. Sorry.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 524
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

visitdetroit.com

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn that 100+ bars list is longer than I thought it could be. My goal in life is to get a drink at every bar downtown. I am falling short as I have only been to about 20 on that list.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait, I found a good downtown map: http://tinyurl.com/32tpwf.

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ow, my side hurts, i split a gut on that one.

'Perfected after fire of 1805'

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In all honesty Jerome81, there are many good "way-finding" devices throughout downtown that were put in place just before the Super Bowl. Those are good for general directions. You probably won't find a map showing where all of the restaurants that get mentioned on DetroitYES! are located for example.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3946
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are excellent kiosk maps downtown too.

This one is on Woodward, by the Broderick, just south of Grand Circus Park.

Detroit Map Kiosk

Question for the forum. Where else are these kiosks. I believe there is on in the Hart Plaza area too.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 533
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are several of the wayfinder kiosks on Broadway.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any luck Jerome81?

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be honest, the http://map.mapnetwork.com/dest ination/detroit/ is probably the most helpful. The print works and it is easily scalable.

I don't think it matters too much. They're in town already and out with my aunt at the Beach Grille in SCS. They probably won't come back downtown until this evening. They left Spokane at 6am this morning, so I'm sure they're pretty tired.

I'll be there by 10am tomorrow morning, so we'll be all set after that time.

Thanks for the suggestions though!! If they need a place for tomorrow morning, they can call me and I'll walk them to it. Probably send them to Astoria Pastry Shop for their morning coffee and come pastries. Not too hard to get to from the HGI, though I think HGI might have included breakfast?

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pic and point Lowell!

I like the idea of kiosk maps! How many are there (excluding Woodward that is?)

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 855
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.cityscapedetroit.or g/maps/downtown.html

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.