Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Just saw Tranformers starring.......Detroit! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 480
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to the midnight showing of Transformers....Amazing Movie after reading this go see it NOW!....Anyways at the end during a long actions seen between the Autobots and Decepticons I suddenly recognized the city of Detroit is where most of the big fight scenes were occuring I forgot they filmed a lot here. The MCS is a Big star and a keen eye can spot the recognizable buildings including the Penobscot and the Federal Building as well as The BC in the background to name a few. For any Transformers fan and a Detroit fan it is an exciting part of the movie. Lets just say Optimus Prime and Megatron have their big battle on the streets of the D (supposed to be LA) I enjoy using the names of characters in the movie because it can give the older users on here an idea what it is like when they use their old slang talking about the old days. Most of the younger DYr's on here will know exactly what I am talking about with names like Megatron!

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard about this on the news. Glad the MCS has a use.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3947
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Most of the younger DYr's on here will know exactly what I am talking about with names like Megatron!"

So do some of us elder DYr's who bought them for you/our kids. :-)

Looking forward to seeing what is sure to be this year's blockbuster.

On the Detroit movies scene tangent, I saw Sicko a couple of nights ago. There is a lengthy Canadian pill shopping segment that occurs in Windsor. It starts with the classic Ambassador Bridge crossing shot, then pan left to the skyline of Detroit.

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats pretty cool that Detroit is used as a backdrop for LA for a change. How many movies were the opposite?

Opus
Username: Opus

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The worst stand in for Detroit was when Toronto was used in place of the D in "Assault on Precinct 13". One minute they are fighting it out in the middle of the city and then they go one block over and they are in a thick old growth pine forrest. We all know that all D police stations are within a block of old growth forrests right?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4729
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider's comments reminds me of going to a gas station recently where one of the clerks told a young customer he looked like Ricky Ricardo... whereupon the youngin' replied "who's Ricky Ricardo?"

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was interesting to see the MCS change from an 18 story building to about a 10 story building by the time he got to "the roof".

But it was pretty awesome to see it used....oh and megatron busting through one of the main windows was fantastic. If they ever really decide to tear it down, i suggest hiring megatron to do it.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If they ever really decide to tear it down, i suggest hiring megatron to do it.

That would make it worth it to see it come down :-)

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2206
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the police stations may not be within blocks of old growth forest, but many are certainly within blocks of old growth prairie.

Glad to hear that the Detroit skyline is shown prominently. The Island (only worth renting for the Detroit scenes) also used Detroit as a fill in for LA. In that movie too I found it funny how there is a huge battle in the heart of downtown Detroit and then suddenly the scene is of an obviously LA freeway as if they were right next to each other.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Tis the point of movies--to show fantasies that don't exist in real life.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 902
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had already posted this little bit of artwork I made on the infamous "Midtown Vortex" thread, but I thought I'd bring it out again.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAHAHAHAHA

THAT JUST MADE MY DAY!!!

Mountainman
Username: Mountainman

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Joe Louis' fist can do some damage in warding them off

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great clip!...um, is megatron expectantly awaiting some fair bettytron?

Lt_tom
Username: Lt_tom

Post Number: 215
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parts of The Island were filmed in Detroit too? Michael Bay must really like the D

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive been told that the costs for shutting down city streets in Detroit is extremely inexpensive. Approximately $475/block plus one million in insurance.

Jb3

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother tells me that they don't like unknowns though, due to the extremely high permit costs for just filming in the City (comparatively). Beware all of you with digital camcorders! You're one copstop away from a ticket and fine. That's basically what he tells me it boils down to. You're not allowed to film in the city without a permit.

someone please tell me i'm wrong.

Jb3

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm wrong!

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/cu lturalaffair/film/faq.htm

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found it odd that Michael Bay allowed the green Fort St sign to be so prominently displayed in the film during the battle. The street signs in Los Angeles are blue and there isn't even a Fort St. in Los Angeles. It seems as if he did it purposefully for the people of Detroit. The person I saw the movie with (who doesn't know Detroit that well) even pointed out the sign and asked if that was Detroit.

Young_detroiter
Username: Young_detroiter

Post Number: 210
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might Bay come around for a round three?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11625
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just watched it last night, damn good movie!

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 770
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It made over 27 million it's first full day. It actually set a record for a Tuesday opening, beating the previous record which was around 15 million.

This sounds like a movie you want to see on the biggest screen you can find. A TV screen probably can't do it justice.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 945
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i watched it on the 4th, i was expecting a horrible movie. it was actually very enjoyable, a bit long, but still, very fun to watch. no citizen kane of course, but a lot funner. even if it is very cheezy at times, i did not care.

detroit was well represented, a chase scene involving a camera (classic model) and a brand new mustang was very fun.

The BC was shown in the backdrop of a few fight scenes, and Fort st sign was shown so much it couldnt have been a coinsidence.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I found it odd that Michael Bay allowed the green Fort St sign to be so prominently displayed in the film during the battle. The street signs in Los Angeles are blue and there isn't even a Fort St. in Los Angeles. It seems as if he did it purposefully for the people of Detroit.

I thought the same exact thing... Maybe it was some sort of concession that the film makers made with the city or Michael Bay just promoting what seems to be his favorite urban filming environment.

All-in-all, this move was awesome. Even if I wasn't from Detroit, I would have to say that this was one of the best action movies I have ever seen. Even my fiance absolutely loved it (and to give her taste some context, her favorite movie is Roman Holiday).

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2824
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought that this was a nice little "in" joke about robots that change into cars and trucks being shot in Detroit.

Msuscorpio
Username: Msuscorpio

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw it on the 4th. AWESOME movie, but I am a little biased as I grew up playing with transformers. Anyway, the ending battle sequence was a little bit goofed up IMO. It was blatently obvious (at least to me) that they kept switching between LA and Detroit. No where more apparent then in the flashes of GREEN, Detroit street signs, and Blue L.A. ones. Also, when they are fighting through the old train station and then end up on the roof of an L.A. skyscrapper. I guess I was probably looking at it a lot more closely to see some Detroit landmarks. So to someone simply watching the movie, it probably isn't even noticable.

Tetsua

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw this on the 4th and was actually surprised at how well this came out. The guy who played the lead was surprisingly funny. I was a little pissed that Megatron got such little play though.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 946
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all the robots in general got little play, which is a good thing i guess.

i loved transformers growing up, but looking back at it, the old cartoons, old movie, they really dont make much sense other than they are cool.

this was easily the best michael bay film i have seen, i am not much of a fan of his work.

Tetsua

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this isn't "Transformers" related, but did anyone check out the teaser for the untitled apocalyptic looking flick based in Manhattan before "Transformers"? It's got the biggest buzz that I've seen on a teaser since "The Matrix". The only trailer on the internet I found was taken with someones cell phone (so it's kinda crappy). http://www.thegaminglife.net/2 007/07/03/jj-abrams-clover-fie ld-teaser-trailer/

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 932
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear tell that this movie has advanced the city's status as a filming location.

Lt_tom
Username: Lt_tom

Post Number: 217
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leadership challenges within the Transformers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =2-aTbHsZJ9g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =bq1_6D9QS9Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =R-ItfWY3xMQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =6tpbp9GXOGU

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1467
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this movie sucked!it was long, boring, there was no character development, Michael Bay, how you get paid to make movies is beyond me

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hecks yeah! Yellow AMC Gremlin in the car lot where he buys the camaro!!I wanted to see that car Morph into a Superhero, but with GM sponsoring the movie it wasnt gonna happen.
Anyone notice the skyscraper with the "deloitte and touche" sign? That company is associated with GM. They have an office in the RENcen.
With such competition, Im surprised every car destroyed in the movie wasn't a Toyota! Definite GM sponsorship.Finding the product placements was really fun in this movie.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 654
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku, if you though this movie was boring, then I guess there's nothing else to say. Arguably the best sound effects I've heard in any movie, best animation, limited use of CGI for the robot fight scenes, recognizable parts of Detroit, the new CAMARO.

I will agree that character development for the robots could have been better, but the writing for this movie, IMO, was excellent. It was very funny.

I'm definitely going to try and catch this on IMAX, and maybe the regular movie theatre again.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 252
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"detroit was well represented, a chase scene involving a camera (classic model) and a brand new mustang was very fun. "

If you are referring to the chase where Barricade (the police squad car) chased Bumblebee (the Camaro) then you are mistaken in thinking the police car was a mustang. That was the new GTO.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have studied film at WSU for 3 years and can tell you first hand that CGI and effects does not make a story good. the development for the humans was worse, the dialougue was so cliched and stupid. The scenes were way to long. the acting was wooden as hell The movie is a joke

Islandman

Post Number: 657
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To each their own I guess.

I guess studying film for 3 years makes you an expert of what makes for a good story. Shawshank Redemption this movie is not, but to say it sucked is beyond me.

This is a movie about a children's cartoon. Did you learn perspective in those 3 years?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes movies are supposed to be fun.

If all I was able to watch were movies that the WSU film school says are good, I'd be pretty bummed out. Don't get me wrong, I love a "great" film, but sometimes you just want some dumb-ass cheesiness and a bag of popcorn.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all of the other cartoon movies weren't that bad. I bet the majority of you like it just because it has Detroit in it. i love dumb mindless movies. This one was just dumb

Wsugradguy
Username: Wsugradguy

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But to repeat others' sentiments, this is a movie based on a cartoon and toy series from the eighties. It had its corny moments, but overall I feel the movie was great. Special effects and action sequences were top notch. I didn't go in expecting the Joyluck Club, so I wasn't disappointed. I went in expecting to be entertained, and I was. The entire audience seemed to be as well. Movie snobs need not comment. LOL, just kidding of course, this is a public forum. :-) And yes, I grew up with the Transformers so my opinion is waaaaay biased.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah i was more of a ghostbusters and he man guy I used ot love those Starting Lineup baseball figures as well

Islandman

Post Number: 659
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku,

Name one movie based on an 80's cartoon series/toys that you consider "less dumb" than this movie. I'll wait.

And no, I didn't just like it because Detroit was in the movie, but I was happy to see the few shots therein.

Just to clarify, I'm not a huge blockbuster movie guy. I'd be more apt to watch something on IFC than to go to the movies to see Spiderman 3.

I still think this movie is awesome for what it is. And the sound is just as intense as Saving Private Ryan in certain parts, IMO. And before you say, I know that special effects alone make a movie great, but it sure helps. :-)

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4495
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Matt Stone and Trey Parker:

quote:

I miss you more then Michael Bay missed the mark
When he made Pearl Harbor
I miss you more than that movie missed the point
And that’s an awful lot girl
And now, now you’ve gone away
And all I’m trying to say is
Pearl Harbor sucked, and I miss you

I need u like Ben Affleck needs acting school
He was terrible in that film
I need u like Cuba Gooding needed a bigger part
He’s way better than Ben Affleck
And now all I can think about is your smile
and that shitty movie too
Pearl Harbor sucked and I miss you

Why does Michael Bay get to keep on making movies?
I guess Pearl Harbor sucked
Just a little bit more than I miss you

A Michael Bay film could star my living room and I'd have zero interest in going to see it. The art of cinema would be better off if a camera crane fell on that dude's head.

(Message edited by Jelk on July 11, 2007)

Islandman

Post Number: 666
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pearl Harbor was a horrible movie. No argument there.

Wfw
Username: Wfw

Post Number: 275
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For what it's worth, I saw the movie last week and thought it was pretty stupid. Yes, the visuals and action sequences were well done, and it was nice to see some Detroit backdrops, but overall I found it cheesy, poorly written and contrived. I wasn't expecting Citizen Kane, but I wasn't expecting something so crappy either.

Actually, this movie was so bad that my wife has now forbidden me from picking another movie to see. I thought it was crap but she was actually angered by how bad it was. She got really fired up when the theatre burst into applause at the end.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 792
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This movie could have been way worse. Way worse. Like, Dolph Lundgren as "He-Man" worse. Or that "Super Mario Bros." movie.
It was good, mindless fun. I thought seeing Michigan Central Station as part of a downtown was a trip and a half. Need angel statues that they added to it. And seeing Prime running across the depot was pretty neat.
I saw the B-C; my brother thought he saw the Fort-Shelby. Saw the federal court building. Saw Fort Street sign. Not as much Detroit footage as I thought, though.

Classico
Username: Classico

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm as big as a film-head as almost anyone on these boards and I enjoyed the movie.

Sure I thought some of the dialogue sucked, and the cliche boy meets girl thing is so fing overplayed. The whole scene where they were outside the kids house was waaaay overdone and terrible.

Growing up though as a Transformers fan it brought back alot of forgotten memories on why I loved this stuff from the start. Just hearing the transforming sound gave me freaking goosebumps.

I don't care what anybody says, the fighting scenes at the end were fing superb.

Arrogancy
Username: Arrogancy

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If you are referring to the chase where Barricade (the police squad car) chased Bumblebee (the Camaro) then you are mistaken in thinking the police car was a mustang. That was the new GTO."

Hahah, what? How could you possibly think that was a GTO as it was very recognizable as a Mustang. Do you not know the trademark mustang SOUND?

Anyway, it was a Saleen Mustang (the 475HP version, I believe) painted up as a police car.

Mattric43
Username: Mattric43

Post Number: 150
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you heard of post production sound editing. Wow we have never heard a car on screen that we know in real life does not sound anything like in the movies!! Ha Ha I have not seen the movie so I can't say what kind of car you are referring to but just the comment of how you could mistake the trademark sound of a mustang.

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont understand people who saw the movie and were disappointed. Did you ever watch the original cartoons? It was a freakin' kids show. More importantly it was an infomercial. The Transformers show was sooooo good at selling kids toys that it prompted action from congress.

I dont get why anyone would think that a movie about a children's cartoon featuring giant transforming robots would be anything more than it is.

With that, I enjoyed the movie. It was a stupid, fun "summer blockbuster".

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1966
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Transformers was entertaining. Worth my $9.50, that's for sure. I saw it on a whim, and was pleasantly suprised.

Wsugradguy
Username: Wsugradguy

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen Christos!!

Arrogancy
Username: Arrogancy

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Have you heard of post production sound editing. Wow we have never heard a car on screen that we know in real life does not sound anything like in the movies!! Ha Ha I have not seen the movie so I can't say what kind of car you are referring to but just the comment of how you could mistake the trademark sound of a mustang."

Mustangs have a recognizable exhaust sound that most car fans know; the fact that it was foleyed into the movie, and that the car was obviously a Mustang as it had the same interior and light placement and base shape, and that the Transformers movie website and wikipedia states that Barracade is a Mustang and that Mustang forums all say it's a Mustang made it hilarious to me that some guy on here comes and talks out of his @$$ to correct someone and say that it was a Charger, of all cars :-)

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4409
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I dont understand people who saw the movie and were disappointed. Did you ever watch the original cartoons? It was a freakin' kids show. More importantly it was an infomercial. The Transformers show was sooooo good at selling kids toys that it prompted action from congress.

<<<never heard of this...what's the story behind it?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The original 'Transformers' animated TV series was little more than a glorified commercial for a line of toys. In a world where selling out has become an art form itself, it now seems like a quaint and futile concept to protest the commercialization of kids' programming.

But in the 1960s, '70s and '80s, some idealists thought it might be better if TV programmers turned to children's literature for inspiration instead of turning the airwaves over to toy companies.

In the '60s and '70s, they were successful in pressuring the networks and Congress to keep toy-inspired shows from taking over. This was before the cable and satellite industry took off, and the broadcast airwaves belonged to the public - in theory.

With broadcast deregulation in the 1980s, the top-selling toys of that decade were developed simultaneously with their corresponding TV series including ones for G.I. Joe, Care Bears, Transformers and Pound Puppies."

http://www2.tbo.com/content/20 07/jul/06/fx-original-transfor mers-aired-to-sell-toys/

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.