Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The Press Bar in the Free Press building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Andrea547
Username: Andrea547

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember The Press Bar? It was located in the Free Press building. It was owned by Leo Boutsikaris. His wife Zoe ran it for a few years after he died then she closed it around 1967. Just looking for some old stories about the bar and Leo.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't have any info about the Press Bar. But if you're looking for stories about Leo, I'd see if King Books has a copy of The Anchor, Leo and Friends, which is about the Anchor bar, back when it was a big hangout for news reporters.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 133
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can hook you up with a former Freep employee from then.

He may tell you some stories. How do I get you his email?

James

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1809
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall and ate in the restaurant in the lobby of the Free Press Building a few times, but never knew it was a "bar" as such. Maybe you ( or I) am thinking of a different location within the building.
Bar for reporters? Detroit Press Club comes to mind. Also, the old Anchor Bar and the "new" one on Fort street.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two friends of mine owned the restaurant in the Free Press building. Sadly, one of them passed away a few years ago.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2140
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tiny flower shop across from the dead Free Press building used to be a bile green bar, affectionately known as the Green Latrine. Chili, burgers and beer. Do you mean that bar? They went out of buisness in about 1984.

Andrea547

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Evelyn I will look for that book.

Thanks, Jrvass my email is andrea547@aol.com

My grandfather Leo Boutsikaris owned the press bar. It was in the free press building. He died in 1965 and it was closed shortly after. It was probably opened in the 40's or 50's and closed in 1966 or 1967. He died before I was born and I was just wondering if anyone remebered the bar or him. Jimmy and Johnny Boutsicaris from the Lindell AC were his cousins.

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't his name spelled Butsicaris?

Andrea547

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, my mom's maiden name is spelled boutsikaris. My uncles jimmy and johnny used the spelling butsicaris. I am not sure why the difference. It probably happened during immigration.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.