Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Loud Explosions in the Downtown Vicinity « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just now (3:12 p.m.) heard several loud explosions go off in the Downtown vicinity. Couldn’t see where it came from, but it set off many car alarms. Can’t see any smoke anywhere. It was right about the time the M/V Presque Isle was going by Downtown, but I didn’t see any damage on her. Any thoughts? Early fireworks, perhaps?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't that loud. Sounded like a cherry bomb to me.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard something that sounded like thunder.

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 327
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also heard it. At the same time, there were sirens very close to the Ford building. Don't know what it was, but it was quite loud where I am.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounded like an M-80. I heard it all night long on my street, so I'm kinda used to it. True, first firework I've heard downtown.

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a small cloud of smoke rising from an area north and slightly east of Comerica Park. Looked to be on or around John R just north of the freeway.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, maybe I'm too far away. Sounded like a firework near Beaubien and Lafayette.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heard it too. Sounded like something bigger than a M-80.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have my windows wide-open & was leaning out taking pictures of the boat going by, so I probably got the echoes off the RenCen. Sounded almost like errant fireworks.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a place for breaking news!

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 328
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry. I had beans for lunch :-)

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another steam explosion?

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 258
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard it at Clifford and Bagley. It had a more metallic rumbling sound than a firecracker.

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Megatron took out the MCS

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1541
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Car accident?

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 391
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw smoke in that vicinity when I got on the Davison at 75.

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, i thought someone was blowing up the ambassador bridge. Being a little paranoid after our scientific brethen across the stream published their economic impact results of a 'Dirty Bomb' taking out the ambassador.

Ya know, why the hell would someone spend gov. money to specifically determine the economic windfall of a specific disaster? Couldn't you just say 'if the bridge were obliterated...'. I think it just leaves the door open for more uncontrolled spending for whatever else could obliterate the bridge. Like...megatron for example...

Silly canucks. Stick to playing hockey, eh?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That blowed up real good

That blowed up good!

Yeah, REAL good!

(Message edited by 56packman on July 03, 2007)

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 273
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was standing in the ticket line at Comerica. It startled everyone there, though there was no visual evidence of any kind of explosion. Everyone just went about their business after a couple of seconds.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A semi overturned on the 94 east / 75 interchange... again. Pretty sure that was the noise. I was driving past at 3:45 and they were doing cleanup trying to turn the truck back on its wheels.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6302
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman! AWESOME!

(I think your picture was lost on most)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4735
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO... Yes Aiw and 56Packman, I think it was lost on most folks.... that's Big Jim McBob (John Candy) and Billy Sol Hurok (Joe Flaherty), of Canada's SCTV (Second City TV) "Celebrity Blowup" (circa 1981-85).

Their famous lines were "that blowed up good... that blowed up real good".... and they always ended their skit with "May the dear Lord take a liking to ya and blow ya up real good!" :-)

LOL... maybe the downtown boom was a scrapper who got a little too close to some Edison Sub-Station copper wiring... "and blowed up good!"

(Message edited by Gistok on July 03, 2007)

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wasn't that overturned truck. That happened earlier in the morning...just took them all day to get the truck upright.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2520
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Second City TV

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok (and AIW)--the segment Big Jim McBob and Billy Sol Hurok were first featured in was "Farm film report" an early AM time slot show that spoofed actual early AM shows that were geared to farmers with such things as pork belly futures and weather--now as obsolete as variety shows.
They would do the usual "farm report" bit then switch over to a film review show, not unlike Siskel & Ebert, except they place a very high value on movies with big explosions, and with the advent of Farm celebrity blow-up just blowing up clebs who needed blowing up.

Here's a couple of samples for those who have no idea what we are talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =nZa0j4N4Ofs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =JgN-aLdhLXI

"May the good Lord take a likin' to ya and blow ya up real good!"

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 751
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that, 56packman. We used to think it was only us who watched SCTV. We would always have a good buzz to go along with it...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.