Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Bang & Olufsen - Home Audio « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 285
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Bang & Olufsen store in Somerset closed and their website lists the closest dealer as either Chicago or Columbus.

Does anyone know if there are any high-end electronic shops in the Metro-Detroit region that sell Bang & Olufsen products?

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a questin for Gannon

I believe The Gramophone in Birmingham sells B&O
http://www.thegramophone.com/

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before their Somerset store closed it said they were relocating to Downtown Birmingham.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aristocrats!

Spidergirl

Post Number: 286
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The number for the Somerset store is routed to the Columbus store. The salesman there told me the same thing about potentially relocating to Birmingham, but he said they are still looking for the right location and nothing is set in stone.

Thanks Crew - I'll check out the Gramophone.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2839
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why, oh why???

If you want high-end audio, you can spend an equal amount of money (or less) on true audiophile gear.

B&O = Bose on LSD.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Columbus is quickly closing in on Detroit's spot as the second star of the midwest...

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4653
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Columbus? Hardly.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Columbus? Hardly.

Yup. Ohio has an ace up its sleeve...

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 156
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last Bang & Olufsen system I had was circa 1978.
Good stuff

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1946
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McIntosh here, works forever and makes perfect audio

Spidergirl

Post Number: 287
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking for something small - an all-in-one system that will fill a room with sound without becoming distorted at higher volumes. But at the same time I'm not looking for earth-shattering sound.

No home theater systems, no 5-6 speaker setups (even a 2-speaker shelf system is too much for me at this point).

I was hoping to test out their BeoSound 1.....

Unless anyone else has other suggestions.

Danindc

Post Number: 2840
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

McIntosh here, works forever and makes perfect audio

Ah, if only I had that kind of money!

Danindc

Post Number: 2841
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm looking for something small - an all-in-one system that will fill a room with sound without becoming distorted at higher volumes. But at the same time I'm not looking for earth-shattering sound.

In order to get solid performance without introducing a lot of distortion at higher volumes, invest in a quality amplifier. Since you're looking for small speakers, you won't need a lot of power. Look for an amp from a reputable manufacturer, and low Total Harmonic Distortion (THD). If you're looking at B&O, you're obviously not afraid to spend a little money. Invest in a rock-solid amp/pre-amp or receiver.

As far as speakers are concerned, a lot of people like the set made by Canton Audio.

Listen to a lot of different things. Don't be afraid to purchase and return. Any reputable dealer will let you audition speakers in your home at no risk for a good 30 days.

I like Audio Review when I'm shopping for new components. A lot of audiophiles post pretty thorough and knowledgeable product reviews there:

www.audioreview.com

Best of luck, and have fun with it!

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Tivoli Audio?

http://www.tivoliaudio.com/hom e.php

Psip

Post Number: 1947
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to brag,,(much) :-)

Mcintosh.jpg

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1485
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Show off!

Damn, 19" rack mount and everything

Psip

Post Number: 1948
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56Pack, you should hear the CD of Hector at the Atlanta Fox on this systems 8 12" woofers.
Awesome!
Even then, my 800 McWatts have a hard time keeping up.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip, I'm glad you don't live next door to me.

The only way I listen to my CDs is with earphones. Love 'em. Better than any speaker system ever invented.

My neighbors love living next door to me.

(Half-way kidding....great looking setup!)

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 158
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm jealous

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 296
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks like a welcome and seamless addition to your kitchen. Who's your decorator?

Spidergirl

Post Number: 288
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrulez - exactly why I don't want that type of setup! LOL

Psip

Post Number: 1949
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spidergirl, I figured that rather then making the stereo unobtrusive, it should be celebrated. A focal point, so to speak. I think I accomplished that.

here is one of the speaker cabinets.
Its a McIntosh ML4C (c 1970)

Speaker

The horn on the top is a Klipsh LaScalla. I didn't like the high end from the Macs'. The system is bi-amped with a Crown electronic Xover.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 631
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This system reminds me of the big speaker in Back to the Future. Great setup!

Psip

Post Number: 1950
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should note. Although the system can be extremely loud, that is not the intent.
This system is very accurate. Every nuance and timber is faithfully reproduced. It really is a laboratory standard.
Of course when people talk about how great mp3's are, I just laugh. Someone asked me once what was wrong with mp3's. My reply was, "would you rather have a glass of milk in front of you or a picture of one?"
At some point, I would like to get the Laser Turntable. Believe it or not, it is an analog device.
http://www.elpj.com/

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McIntosh

yeah like they are available at ABC Warehouse lol...

Tivoli Audio. you DO know that B&O is a Danish company and Tivoli is the name of the oldest amusement park in Europe and is in Copenhagen...

david

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.