Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Little mention - Inge and wife donate $100K to Mott « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9488
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the barrage of negatives about pro athletes (most or all of it deserved) these days the media should be encouraged to give more credit to the athletes that can be true role models to kids.

I think that things like this should get more press (unless the Inge family requested no excessive attention)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070705/SPORTS1 8/707050389/1048/SPORTS

Inge asks kids for hospital naming help

quote:

Inge and his wife, Shani, recently donated $100,000 to the hospital. The money will create the activity center in the pediatric cancer infusion clinic, which is scheduled to open in 2011.

Good for the Inge's in being true role models in a time when professional athletics needs positive role models.

Jt1

Post Number: 9489
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgot to quote this as well. Truly a great act on their behalf:

quote:

Rather than link their names to the donation, the Inges chose to leave the naming rights to a child based on an essay of up to 100 words or an illustration. A donation to the hospital also must be included.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1592
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a really cool thing Inge has done. While I am not a fan of his as a player this certainly makes me a fan of his as person. If only more professional athletes took his lead this would be a lot better world to live in.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 227
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He sure hit a home run with that donation.

Jt1

Post Number: 9507
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something we can agree on.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3164
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

100,000 is very generous. All the more reason to like Inge.

I hate doing this but the thought still creeps into my mind despite how great this news is...why not Children's Hospital in Detroit?

I bring it up because there literally is competition for donations among hospitals. Mott and Children's in Detroit are both undergoing or planning expansions, and both are highly ranked already. Perhaps Children's at the DMC already has a clinic comparable to what the Inge's are donating towards?

Great news in any case...

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 996
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I hate doing this but the thought still creeps into my mind despite how great this news is...why not Children's Hospital in Detroit?

Most likely because he lives here, and as we all know, that is not a suburb of Detroit.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3168
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That makes sense, but then again it doesn't. It makes sense that he would donate to his local hospital, but why the hell does he live in A2? (Because he has the means and probably loves driving his luxury SUV 80 miles round trip).

Well, maybe I'll run into him on Main Street sometime.

Jt1

Post Number: 9508
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He probably lives in AA because he and his wife feel that is the best option for them. I wish Detroit were to the point were there most or even some of the local athletes felt it was their best choice for living. The truth is it isn't to that point yet.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met his wife and some of her family down at a Spring Training game this year. Nice people.

They're building a house even further west than Ann Arbor. I think it's great that there's a player who even wants to live in the area. I believe he's the only current player other than Nate Robertson who chose to live in the area.

Today's astronomical salaries allow players to live wherever they desire. If you go back a few decades, most if not all the players lived in the vicinity.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 686
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is blessed to have some very caring athletes in our major sports. Not only do we have some major superstars, we have some major caring hearts. Being in the non-profit/charity industry myself, I can attest to the hundreds of thousands of dollars being shelled out by our sports icons.

Brandon Inge
Rasheed Wallace
Nick Lidstrom
Rip Hamilton
Curtis Granderson

The list goes on and on.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 340
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tou can add Jeremey Bonderman to the list. He's been very supportive of a group I've volunteered with for four years now, The Miracle League of Michigan. It's a baseball league for special-needs kids that has a rubberized, wheelchair-accessible field in Southfield. We've got around 200 kids in the league, plus many other players in our adult and senior-citizen divisions.

Several Tigers have come out over the years to be "buddies" for our kids -- able-bodied helpers to lend a little hand when the player needs one. You'd almost have to be Satan to not "get" what we do -- but when Bondo came out I saw a look in his eyes that told me he was affected on a very deep level by what he saw.

Anybody who sends Bondo an item they want autographed gets the following letter in response:

http://michiganmiracle.org/doc uments/JeremyLtr.pdf

I have no clue how much money this will raise for us -- but nobody made him do it -- he chose to do so on his own.

And if you know of a disabled child who'd be interested in playing with us, surf thee to www.michiganmiracle.org. You can also go there to find out about volunteering -- we can always use help!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that website is stalker status

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 341
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WTF does "stalker status" mean?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That "website" is actually a search engine that returns basic information on individuals who most closely match your search criteria using available information from a variety of public databases and other public sources.

In the past, databases containing personal public information has been freely bought and sold for purposed like targeted mailing lists. Now, this search engine makes basic personal public information available free of charge and offers more detailed information for a fee, just like the other companies who continue to collect and sell it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.