Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » 3-D. What makes a "Detroiter." « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a Detroiter. (Once a "Jet" always a "Jet."
I think there was a post on DD on the same subject. I would like to expound on it. I think there
are only two groups of people that are eligible to claim that privilege. The first group includes
anyone who has resided in Detroit for a few months, a year or their entire life for that matter.
Residence is the basis of their claim. That’s all. They live here or they have lived here. But their
ambition was to leave Detroit and get away from it for something better. They never embraced
Detroit as being their ultimate ‘family or ancestral’ home. They would not loudly proclaim it as
being the greatest city in the world. I think their claim, to the name, is specious.
The second group has the same residential claim. We took everything Detroit had to offer
in the way of education, jobs, entertainment, sociality and neighborliness, but I believe we gave
back an equivalent amount of enthusiasm and loyalty to all of those venues that were open to us.
.E.g. My first real part-time job. 1944, Sophomore year of High School. Got an after
school, part time job at J. L. Hudson’s, as a stock boy. 47.5 cents per hour! Just how giddy do
you think a kid can get?
I believe there are many legitimate reasons for leaving Detroit. We had to see California
in the sixties. We discovered that the “Land of Oz” was not what we thought it woz. We came
back home. We spent some time in Ireland but finding a rest room on the road was a bit difficult.
There is no State or Country, in second place, next to Michigan. It is in a class by itself.
Presently, we are in Tucson, AZ. . for medical reasons. Petty things like knee replacements and
a craniotomy.
Note. Tucson is a great experience if you are planning on going to Hell when you die. It makes
Purgatory look cool. Yesterday the temperature was 110, but it’s dryyyyyyyyyyheat.

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 100
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tponetom, i thought back then you were required to start working at age eight. What happened?

Just kidding. It's nice to hear. I started my first job as a caddy at age eleven. Not real work i know, but it gave my parents an excuse not to ever give me money. My first real part time job was a doozy, dishwasher at age fourteen four nights a week after school and on the weekends full time. I've hardly slowed down since then...i wonder where all the money has gone?

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 807
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tponetom, I was conceived in Detroit, born in Detroit, educated, worked, loved and started my own family in Detroit, just as my parents before me did. My wife’s side is all the more made in Detroit. When I die, scatter me in the River I was baptized in.

Bullet

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet;
You said it all. Amen.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.