Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » B-17 Sighted Again? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2542
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I just spotted that B-17 again. At 6:19 PM it was flying SSE over Utica. It was gray with some white tail markings, 4 engines, low altitude, flying slowly.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/100886.html

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6 of them in a row flew over downtown straight above jefferson going East, and then turned North. I couldnt see where the went after that. They flew very low, and were very loud. It looked like we were about to get bombed!

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1952
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Six of them??? WOW !!!!
that must have been ultra cool to see.
You are very lucky to have witnessed that.

(Message edited by PSIP on July 06, 2007)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2543
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I only saw one. Maybe they're trying to fan out so more people will see them. If so, we may see some more posts here.

Old_southwest
Username: Old_southwest

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big Air Show at Willow Run this weekend.

Bohemianrobot
Username: Bohemianrobot

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I assume they they are doing practice flights for the air show at Willow Run Airport tomorrow and Sunday?

Old Southwest beat me to it.

I'll be there Sunday, I can't wait!

(Message edited by bohemianrobot on July 06, 2007)

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

on just flew over Brush park going West, not even a minute ago

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thunder Over Michigan. A must see air show at Willow Run Air Port ((( this weekend )))

http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org /

http://www.suzuki-us.com/thund er-over-michigan-airshow.html

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 408
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

saw two about a half hr ago over corktown.

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 172
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think 6 of them exist let alone fly at the same time

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 783
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bohemianrobot, look for me, I'll be there too.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 234
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw five planes flying toward Willow Run yesterday at 11am. They were the same ones that flew over Comerica on Wednesday.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1813
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think only two B-17's are scheduled to be at the air show, and chances are that those "6 in a row" that someone identified were really B-25 Mitchells.
Thunder has a whole host of Mitchells scheduled the next two days at the show, and they take to the air just before the Blue Angels in mid-afternoon.
I will be on the flight line patting the Pratt and Whitney engines of those P-47 Thunderbolts, 4 of which are scheduled to fly tomorrow and Sunday.
The doors open at 9AM--BE THERE!!

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice call rock, as they were indeed 25's!!

Only one B-17 flew this pattern, at the rear of the Mitchells. The rest were B-25 bombers, and there were seven preceeding the B-17. They were flying "nostalgia" tour flights, and we had asked them to do a fly-over over Fort Wayne marking Civil War Days tonight and they did it up!! At the end they also flew the C-47 and a Texan over too!! hat an awesome sight! After the show at the Yankee, come take in the Fort!! It will be open to the public until 9:30pm this year!!

By the way, I believe that there are less than a dozen B-17 "Flying Fortresses" being flown around today.

Paul-

Those planes you saw were F-16's flying low altitude formation, and heading to Ypsi for the show. They are ANG fighters out of Selfridge and they will be on static display at the show.

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 144
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live about 30 driving mins. south of Willow Run airport and the often track our road north and south when exercising their old WW2 planes.

I like watching them rumble over my house but there's something eerie about staring at the bomb bay doors of a plane that likely obliterated German or Japanese civilians!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3349
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As an A&P mechanic and pilot, I had two extended occasions of several hours each for touring the EAA's private Oshkosh facilities during 1986 and 1987, including the Kermit Weeks hangar. That hanger is only occasionally open to the public and houses the airworthy warbirds that the EAA flies. They had a few P-51 Mustangs and an F4U Corsair, among others.

My personal favorite warbird is the Grumman F8F Bearcat, which was on public display at the EAA museum in Oshkosh. The Bearcat was mass produced too late during WWII for any serious combat and was essentially obsolete after the jets were developed and flown during the Korean conflict.

At that time during the 1980s, the EAA's B-17 wasn't anything close to being airworthy and was parked outside the hangar. However, I was able to view it up close--being but inches away from it.

But that was then. Today that B-17 too is available for flying tours.

I too was surprised to notice the B-17 flying nearly directly overhead around 8PM when jogging along John Kronk/Southern this evening, being unaware of its tour schedule.

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on July 07, 2007)

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 999
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P-51 Mustang, Oct. 1942, by Alfred Palmer

I found this beautiful color photo of a P-51 Mustang in flight near Inglewood, CA on the LofC American Memory web site. It was taken by Alfred Palmer in October of 1942 and it's currently my computer desktop photo.

The_rock

Post Number: 1815
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernois- Being an A and P mechanic, and having worked in the Kermit Weeks hangar, I wish you could convince Kermit to get his B-26 Marauder up in the air again.Its been a good 5 years since it last flew, but I can see his reluctance in getting it certified again as it was the last one on God's earth to actually take to the skies. The others are all static displays, both in the USA and in Paris.
I saw his Marauder in Oshkosh several years ago, and have seen it at his wonderful Fantasy of Flight museum in Polk City, Florida a few times.
My favorite plane by far for personal reasons.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3350
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock: I haven't worked at Weeks hangar but was a guest there on those two occasions. Had I resided closer to Oshkosh, I probably would have volunteered to "work" there. Most EAA "workers" are volunteers.

Weeks hangar is so spotless that once a drop of oil hits the floor, it is rapidly cleaned up...

And don't confuse the EAA's Kermit Weeks hangar with Kermit's Florida operation...

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on July 07, 2007)

The_rock

Post Number: 1816
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when I toured the Week's Museum in Florida, the docent was asked how Kermit Weeks got the money to compile the largest privately owned collection of airplanes in the USA. The docent said "He earned his fortune in the true American tradition--He inherited it"!
Well, I am back from the show. Awesome from beginning to end. I have never seen so many cars parked in a parking lot ( open field) I think the YAF made big bucks today and tomorrow should be as good.
Blue Birds are obviously the big draw, but its the first time I saw a beautifully restored DC-3 outfitted in the old American Airlines livery--silver with orange markings and appropriately name "Flagship Detroit." What a good looking bird.
Don't know where that plane has been all my life. She will be featured at the Chicago Air show in mid-August.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3354
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weeks must have paid for that expensive hangar facility in Oshkosh when he was but 30-some years old.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 100
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were going to go to the airshow this weekend...but $20 per adult and $10 per car is a lot...plus you can't bring coolers of any kind in, so that means buying everything there. Too costly for this family!

Blu...wishing we were gonna be there :-(

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3356
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blueidone, warbirds don't grow on trees. They also suck up lots of AV gas. And keeping anything airworthy takes plenty of time and money--much of that being contributed, as it is. The airshow is a fund-raiser. Liberals often knock themselves out--over benefits and fund-raisers.

Maybe the Detroit Lions will let you in free someday and not charge confiscatory prices for hot dogs. Maybe the DPD might work for free. Just maybe...

(Message edited by livernoisyard on July 08, 2007)

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard: I understand the reasons for the price. And I congratulate those who spend their time restoring these historical wonders. But taking seven people (my son and his family, and my husband and I) would have stretched our budget too far. I'm not complaining about the price...just wishing I could go. I should have said "but $20 per adult and $10 per car is a lot for us to handle right now..."

I wish all of them well in their fund raising efforts and hope they can continue to bring the airshow to our area.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 110
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$30 bucks is a ton of money and Blue is right-it costs a lot for a larger family! We are not going to the show this year for the very same reason.

Livernois is correct, too, warbirds are expensive to operate, and if you want to see them, you have to chip in! But $30 bucks? That's a little steep. Sure puts a damper on a lot of folks plans!

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 189
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Discount tickets were available up to the night before at Meijer. $15 per person with $5 for parking (even cheaper if you purchase before April 1). Kids under 15 years old are free. Food is allowed provided it is wrapped in clear packaging. Beverages are allowed. No loose ice, no coolers, no glass and no cans doesn't mean you can't make it work. They have explicit instruction on how to do exactly what the complainers above are attempting on the website.

How do you get through life when you can't even figure out the simplest of situations on your own?

Absolutely helpless.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There certainly was 6 of them flying. I saw them as well.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3361
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another thing... Any viewers could park nearby and walk the remaining distance and still get close enough--even in a heat wave. Most Metro Detroiters are overly fat and need the exercise anyways, especially their pudgy kids.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 164
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Airshow at Selfridge ANG base is supposedly near the end of the month..luckily I live close to it. I probably will see them practicing for that show.

The_rock

Post Number: 1818
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Selfridge show is July 21 and 22. It always gets a large attendance because it's free! A lot of civilian flying acts are featured this year.
The I-94 construction out there won't make it any easier to get to the area.

Vintagesoul
Username: Vintagesoul

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see I'm a little late to the post on this one, but I did see something about 2 weeks ago or more actually. It kinda freaked me out because the plane was so huge and it was flying so low and very slowly. I was on my way home from work and I saw it on 96 while I was getting on 94 one time and then on 94 after I had gotten off of 96 the other time.

It was weird but I figured they were just taking an old bird out for a spin... My poor hubby freaked out when I told him because he can't stand large things - cruise ships/big planes/semi-trucks - especially when they're on and/or moving. I thought he was going to have a heart attack just from me sending him a pic on the phone... lol.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.